Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

MrMan wrote: »
    But not for me :(

Maybe it's because I'm on 3.

Working for me as I type. Sim free Hero on 3.
    I set the date forward to November and the notification popped up.

Edit - Also got build no. 2.73.405.93

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anthonyryanirl

Working on O2.

Set phone to 17/Nov/10, went into Marketplace

Firmware still 1.5
    now have System Software Update option
    Baseband 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29
    Kernal 2.6.27-430d1aea
    Build 2.73.405.95

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Working for me as I type. Sim free Hero on 3.
    I set the date forward to November and the notification popped up.

Edit - Also got build no. 2.73.405.93

I don't suppose you can remember your previous build?
    Was it 2.73.771.62?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Gonzo_Reporter

Changing dates (on meteor) Worked a treat for me. Ive lost interest in the whole Updates thing, is this the update we were promised in january or December? ... the HTC Evo has caught my eye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Changing dates (on meteor) Worked a treat for me. Ive lost interest in the whole Updates thing, is this the update we were promised in january or December? ... the HTC Evo has caught my eye now.

Not coming out in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

MrMan wrote: »
    I don't suppose you can remember your previous build?
    Was it 2.73.771.62?

Honestly can't remember mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is there a decent link to get Froyo onto a Desire yet? Looked around and I seem to have two or three pages telling me to do different things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Mr E wrote: »
    So how do I install a custom ROM?
    Other links: Rooting..

Just trying to root my Hero here, and ive followed that website, but once i installed the .apk and opened it, im left with a command box and 2 options, "download recovery image"(greyed out!) and "backup recovery image".

im told to backup, but when i click it, it says
    Backup FAILED: Could not run command
    ... anyone care to help me out where i go from here?

thanks!

just an EDIT, the apk is From:
    http://zenthought.org/system/files/asset/2/flashrec-1.1.3-20091107-2.apk

EDIT 2: from the flashrec website it says
    Please note that current firmwares are patched. If you still have a phone with a cupcake (1.5) firmware, FlashRec may still work, but there are some patched cupcake firmwares too. If you get “Could not run command”, then your firmware is patched.
    but nothing more about patched firmwares...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi Tea Bag, try the guide on this link (breaks down the steps more clearly, I think...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Just trying to root my Hero here, and ive followed that website, but once i installed the .apk and opened it, im left with a command box and 2 options, "download recovery image"(greyed out!) and "backup recovery image".

im told to backup, but when i click it, it says ... anyone care to help me out where i go from here?

thanks!

just an EDIT, the apk is From:
    http://zenthought.org/system/files/asset/2/flashrec-1.1.3-20091107-2.apk

EDIT 2: from the flashrec website it says
    but nothing more about patched firmwares...

Getting the exact same error here, the link Mr.e posted still involves the same backup recovery apk thats the problem and giving the error message?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

chrislad wrote: »
    Is there a decent link to get Froyo onto a Desire yet? Looked around and I seem to have two or three pages telling me to do different things!

+1 Have rooted phone but still looking for clear and tried method. Thanks in advance

Tea Bag/Hightower - check this link for more info on your "backup failed" error.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

See what version of the firmware you have installed, you may need to downgrade.

Also check out installing a recovery image using ADB. Its not that hard!

Tea Bag/Hightower - check this link for more info on your "backup failed" error.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

See what version of the firmware you have installed, you may need to downgrade.

Also check out installing a recovery image using ADB. Its not that hard!

Hey Mr.E, thanks for the help but I have tried everything at this stage, formated the mem card multiple times, nothing. Every time I tap for backup recover image it gives the error "backup failed :could not run command" is it poss its a recent patch sent out stopping this you think?

That links says that if you are getting the error, you might need to downgrade your firmware. Have you tried ADB yet?

That links says that if you are getting the error, you might need to downgrade your firmware. Have you tried ADB yet?

Not yet? What is ADB if you dont mind me asking? Google searches are of little help in defining what it is exactly lol.

Edit: just tried the adb method but was stopped early, most of the files needed are no longer avail.

I'm giving up now, seems like its sooooo much effort to try get the handset rooted.... 3 hours and so much trawling later and I'm completely bemused. First page gets the one click app which wont work, then I need another way to root....One page is out of date, the next advisees to download files that when you access the links the files are missing, when you find a good page with instructions with good links turns out windows 7 needs MORE software to get sync working...I have never seen the likes of it.... I need to download driver software to get sync software to work to get more software to root. Jesus.

HTC you win, you dont want me to root.... fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Ok I've managed to get stuck somewhere along the way to rooting my HTC Hero, I successfully downgraded the ROM and then installed the flashrec and recovery image to my SD card but when i type /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img into the box in the recovery flasher nothing happens and the greyed out box says download recovery image not flash custom recovery image or anything similar. When I try to bring up the recovery menu all i get is a picture of an orange exclamation mark above a phone

Thanks for any help

I've never used flashrec, so I don't know what to tell you. Unix is case sensitive, so make sure you have the upper and lower case stuff right (renamed to recovery.img to make things easier for you)

Did you install 2.1 when it came out last week? If you did, you can't downgrade (there is no known way .... yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone can help...I upgraded my Hero to 2.1 the other day and now the names of people are not recognised in messages for example if the number is stored as 0879xxxxx and the message comes from +353879XXXXX...

Anyone know the best way to fix this issue with the number format?

Thansk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anybody moved to VillianROM 12.0? worth it?

Im on 10.0 but im interested in updating...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Did you install 2.1 when it came out last week? If you did, you can't downgrade (there is no known way .... yet)

there is now :D

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=2096

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

sorry, don't know if this was asked already but is there any way to get android 2.2 on my hero?

Yes, there are 3 FroYo (2.2) ROMs out there at the moment.

FroydVillain
    Cronos
    Fusion!ROM

Your phone needs to be rooted, and the ROMs are still in an experimental stage (they all have flaws of some sort).

I don't think HTC are going to release 2.2 for the Hero, so one of these 'custom' ROMs is your only option.

Yes, there are 3 FroYo (2.2) ROMs out there at the moment.

FroydVillain
    Cronos
    Fusion!ROM

Your phone needs to be rooted, and the ROMs are still in an experimental stage (they all have flaws of some sort).

I don't think HTC are going to release 2.2 for the Hero, so one of these 'custom' ROMs is your only option.

should i go for this now or will better versions come up when more phones get 2.2?

I'd wait a couple of weeks until they iron out the bugs. FroydVillain only came out last weekend, and Cronos came out today. Its still very early days....

Thanks, I'm going to wait. Really need this update, the hero is slow.

The hero isn't slow. Use a task killer to keep the memory as free as possible, and try a ROM that doesn't have Sense in it.

My Hero is flying it these days.... I won't be upgrading until next year.

The hero isn't slow. Use a task killer to keep the memory as free as possible, and try a ROM that doesn't have Sense in it.

My Hero is flying it these days.... I won't be upgrading until next year.
    Same.. waiting for android 3.0 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm going to wait. Really need this update, the hero is slow.

I recommend villainrom 12. I dont plan on moving from it. Its very fast and everything works 100% for me. Includes Sense.

kc66 wrote: »
    I recommend villainrom 12. I dont plan on moving from it. Its very fast and everything works 100% for me. Includes Sense.
    Sounds great, don't want to lose sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seriously considering this myself....

Though a little put off by the prospect of rooting - don't want to completely f-up my phone.

Will have to look into getting some fool-proof instructions on how to go from stock 2.1 to this Villian 12 Rom without losing apps I already have on my phone.

Advertisement