Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

suomi wrote: »
    Nope, nothing happened. It won't even turn on. I've tried pressing every button and plugging it into a few different plugs but nothing's made a difference. :p

Read this:
    However, a quick bit of Googling came up with a fix that is pretty simple, but still unexplained:

Make sure you've had it on the charger for at least an hour or so. It won't start without enough charge.
    You may have to try the remaining steps without having the USB cable hooked up (I've had it work with and I have it not work until it was without).
    Press and hold the on button. Keep it down while...
    HERE'S THE SECRET: At the same time, keep a finger on the screen.
    Keep watching and you might see a slight change of color on the screen.
    Hold it down for 15 seconds or more. Be patient.
    You should get the battery icon or the system will just reboot.
    Once you get the battery icon, you're set. Just press the on button for 10 seconds and the tablet will shutdown.
    Now power up as normal to reboot.
    You can also put it back on the charger.
    That's what did it for me. I saw there were issues with tablets running Android 2.2 having this problem and then the freeze issue got fixed with 2.2.1. The 10.1 runs Honeycomb 3.0, so maybe the bug crept back in.

Hopefully this will get fixed with 3.1 which should be out shortly. XOOM users are getting 3.1 starting this week, so hopefully this Galaxy will be getting it quickly as well.

Update 1: I have 3.1 and the latest updates from Samsung and it happened again. The freeze happened AFTER the update. So far, it has only happened once after using initially and after an update and a low battery and a charge, in both cases.

Update 2: I had this happen a 3rd time. This time it wouldn't boot until I had charged it for an hour AND disconnected the USB cable. I've added those things to the instructions.

If that doesnt work follow this:
    1. Boil kettle
    2. Fill hot water bottle with 1/3 boiling 2/3 cold water
    3. Place on table and put tablet on top
    4. Put weight on tablet to keep it pressed against the bottle
    5. After ten minutes plug in charger and leave

If you're lucky it will start to charge. Leave it there for several hours(water will go cold but once its going you'll be fine).

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can anyone on O2 tell me what radio/modem version you're using ? I flashed recently and just used the modem version that came with Cyanogenmod 10.1 but I think my connection strength may be a poorer than previously, but I can't remember what version that came with stock. I'm currently using I9000XXJVT.

Nandroid backups, a useful thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ED E wrote: »
    Nandroid backups, a useful thing ;)

I have a full image back up using CWM, however as the phone is working, just with a lower signal than I expect, I was wondering if anyone who had gone through this before had a modem recommendation.

Oh sorry, misinterpreted your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No probs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know how to uninstall the EA Games app on an android phone? I've no EA games installed, and i never installed it myself, but i can't seem to remove it. I absolutely hate it when apps do this, and even though it's not doing anything, i want it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

ED E wrote: »
    Read this:
    However, a quick bit of Googling came up with a fix that is pretty simple, but still unexplained:

Make sure you've had it on the charger for at least an hour or so. It won't start without enough charge.
    You may have to try the remaining steps without having the USB cable hooked up (I've had it work with and I have it not work until it was without).
    Press and hold the on button. Keep it down while...
    HERE'S THE SECRET: At the same time, keep a finger on the screen.
    Keep watching and you might see a slight change of color on the screen.
    Hold it down for 15 seconds or more. Be patient.
    You should get the battery icon or the system will just reboot.
    Once you get the battery icon, you're set. Just press the on button for 10 seconds and the tablet will shutdown.
    Now power up as normal to reboot.
    You can also put it back on the charger.
    That's what did it for me. I saw there were issues with tablets running Android 2.2 having this problem and then the freeze issue got fixed with 2.2.1. The 10.1 runs Honeycomb 3.0, so maybe the bug crept back in.

Hopefully this will get fixed with 3.1 which should be out shortly. XOOM users are getting 3.1 starting this week, so hopefully this Galaxy will be getting it quickly as well.

Update 1: I have 3.1 and the latest updates from Samsung and it happened again. The freeze happened AFTER the update. So far, it has only happened once after using initially and after an update and a low battery and a charge, in both cases.

Update 2: I had this happen a 3rd time. This time it wouldn't boot until I had charged it for an hour AND disconnected the USB cable. I've added those things to the instructions.

If that doesnt work follow this:
    1. Boil kettle
    2. Fill hot water bottle with 1/3 boiling 2/3 cold water
    3. Place on table and put tablet on top
    4. Put weight on tablet to keep it pressed against the bottle
    5. After ten minutes plug in charger and leave

If you're lucky it will start to charge. Leave it there for several hours(water will go cold but once its going you'll be fine).

I actually found that first trick online and tried it before bringing it back to the shop. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so they just gave me a new one. :p Thanks for your help!

2012.6.16_11.13.51_2558.jpg

http://www.nillkin.com/english/proshow.asp?mid=2&sid=0&tid=0&cid=1&scid=13&id=2521&page=1

Anyone seen these on sale anywhere? Have a Nillkin on my XS and love it, but this stand version for the S3 seems to totally unavailable :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

anyone know if its possible to run IOS apps on an android device.

i want to use upc's horizon ap but the tards have only released it on ios with no date for android users, except 'summer'

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

copeyhagen wrote: »
    anyone know if its possible to run IOS apps on an android device.

i want to use upc's horizon ap but the tards have only released it on ios with no date for android users, except 'summer'

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

bah thats crap, thought there might have been a way to emulate them

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irishrebelsc

Mr E wrote: »
    Rooting is, as I said above, removing all restrictions from your phone. From a quick look around, it seems that rooting (for many operators) will void your warranty, but with a bit of preparation, you can "unroot" a phone before returning it (assuming your phone is still in a working condition). Read more on the subject here. I think I remember reading on the big HTC Hero thread that someone returned a faulty rooted phone, and got a replacement (no questions asked). Its up to you if you want to proceed, but just be aware of the issues.

ROMs are basically images of the operating system (the files need to run your phone - the icons, homescreen, contact list etc). Flashing a ROM is the term for putting a new version of the ROM on your phone. If you have a Nexus, you already have the latest version of the operating system on your phone, so there is nothing to flash (for now).

Overclocking is a term for speeding up your phone by making the CPU (the brain of the phone) run faster. Overclocking any hardware is a balancing act between improving the speed of the device, and decreasing the stability and battery life of the device. The Nexus is running on a 1GHz processor, so its already pretty nippy. Not much point (or benefit) in overclocking it.

I read somewhere that rooting can also make the phone less secure ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"The Free Software Foundation Europe argues that it is legal to root or flash any device. According to the European Directive 1999/44/CE, replacing the original operating system with another does not void the statutory warranty that covers the hardware of the device for two years unless the seller can prove that the modification caused the defect.[18]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)

My opinion: rooting and removing bloatsoftware provided by mobile network provider or phone producer makes in _more_ secure.

I read somewhere that rooting can also make the phone less secure ?!

Rooting gives the user full control. For a smart user this is a good thing, for a dumb user this is a bad thing. The manufacturers dont give you root from the factory as average joe may just banjax his handset and then send it back to where he bought it with "it broke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I have been reading around about rooting. Do I need to do this s off business? Doesn't seem to be the norm for rooting?

What handset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bit of a longshot, and I'm sure it's unlikely, but would it be possible to rename this from "Android Devices" to "Android and Google".

Seeing as we post a lot here on more than just Android based systems, but Google as a whole it may make general navigation easier for other posters who have questions about Google itself.

As Google is in it's own right, one of the biggest companies on earth and a major influence on modern tech, I reckon it would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Does anyone know how I can get the RTE/TV3 players on my Samsung galaxy ace 2. There seems to be some ongoing row between Adobe and Google which prevents the flash player from being downloaded . Players won't work without this. Will it download with Firefox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Use Boat Browser and you should be able to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Use Boat Browser and you should be able to get them.

Tried that sandeman. No good. Can get into the player alright but am then told I need the latest version of Flash to watch anything and on clicking install am told that flash is not supported by my device.

I was able to install from some unofficial site (can't remember but it's posted somewhere in this forum) but it only works with Boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

betistuc wrote: »
    Tried that sandeman. No good. Can get into the player alright but am then told I need the latest version of Flash to watch anything and on clicking install am told that flash is not supported by my device.
    Firefox works for me.
    Just bookmark the website and link it to your home screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why are all my apps asking me about manual updates all of a sudden? The checkbox for automatic updates seems to have disappeared in the Play redesign now whenever I look at the phone theres another app hassling me including all the ones I told to auto-update...

On the plus side I am deleting loads of them that I dont use anymore.

GS3 is being a cnut so I cant post the screeny. Go apps, my apps, pick one, menu button, option to auto update is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Silly question, I know, but is it possible to get 'smilies' on a Samsung Galaxy?

While we are at it, I can't find smileys on the G510 either. Any ideas?

Get a different keyboard app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

Had a Samsung Jet and have upgraded to the Galaxy 4. Was able to password protect my photos, messages and memos no problem with the Jet, but I can't find anything similar in the S4. Do i have to download a specific app? and which one. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ashleyhere wrote: »
    Had a Samsung Jet and have upgraded to the Galaxy 4. Was able to password protect my photos, messages and memos no problem with the Jet, but I can't find anything similar in the S4. Do i have to download a specific app? and which one. Thanks.

Samsung Jet??

Old non-Android, I think....Symbian??

Samsung proprietary software, probably.

However, if you need to hide files, pics, vids...and the App!!! etc, there is this App:

File Hide Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Samsung Jet??

Old non-Android, I think....Symbian??

Samsung proprietary software, probably.

However, if you need to hide files, pics, vids...and the App!!! etc, there is this App:

File Hide Pro

I'm pretty sure it ran Samsung's own OS: Bada

Zagato wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it ran Samsung's own OS: Bada

I don't know.... just when you Google jet you get stuff like this...

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=2826.0

• Advertisement

For the past few weeks, my Galaxy. Ace will only connect to the internet from a Wi- fi. Is there something I need to do to get the internet outside a Wi-fi area. I've tried turning off Wi-fi setting, but it makes no difference. Anyone got a suggestion (in plain language please!)

Try going into 'mobile network settings' and check if you have 'data enabled' ticked.

Yep, that seems to have done the job, Sandeman. Thanks a lot. I'll do the same for you someday!

coolhull wrote: »
    Yep, that seems to have done the job, Sandeman. Thanks a lot. I'll do the same for you someday!

Nice one. No worries.

By the way, unless you are with 3 I would suggest only keeping it ticked when you need it. Otherwise it will be constantly updating and using up your credit.

I have a billpay. Does the same advice apply, sandeman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

coolhull wrote: »
    I have a billpay. Does the same advice apply, sandeman?

Unless you have an unlimited data plan then you should at least keep a close eye on how much you're using. If you go over your allowance they will crucify you with extra charges.

That advice applies even more to bill pay users since prepay people can only use the credit they have bought, whereas there's been stories of people getting bills of 100s of Euros for using extra data.

I'm not sure what android version your using but this app will help you keep an eye on your usage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭avfc1874

hi sorry if i'm in the wrong thread. i'm on the lookout for new phone , just need it for phone txt, radio, and few apps. i,ve only had basic phones before, so want to try apps , games. i like the prepay with meteor as you get free txts and calls to other users. (i,m with meteor) there is some nice ones on the meteor site (samsung galaxy, pocket neo, sony experia.) any advice would be appreciated, i,d like to keep my number if possible. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi sorry if i'm in the wrong thread. i'm on the lookout for new phone , just need it for phone txt, radio, and few apps. i,ve only had basic phones before, so want to try apps , games. i like the prepay with meteor as you get free txts and calls to other users. (i,m with meteor) there is some nice ones on the meteor site (samsung galaxy, pocket neo, sony experia.) any advice would be appreciated, i,d like to keep my number if possible. thanks

If you have a look at the Jiayu G3S thread you should get some idea of a decent spec cheap Chinese android phone, you could get a fairly decent one delivered through DHL for between 160 and 200 depending on how much you want to spend....

Check out www.spemall.com and the like for an idea, and just stick to the DHL delivery option and you should be good to go... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WrongWay

Hey, just looking for some information.

What is the latest version of android available on a samsung galaxy s2 on Three?

I currently have version 2.3.3. Is there any major differences with the new versions? Is it worth updating?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi is there any way to set the "3 3g" network as the preferred network to always try to connect to instead of roaming?

WrongWay wrote: »
    Hey, just looking for some information.

What is the latest version of android available on a samsung galaxy s2 on Three?

I currently have version 2.3.3. Is there any major differences with the new versions? Is it worth updating?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, you can update to official Jellybean 4.1.2 at the very least...

You may need to do this manually, as I'm not sure Three have pushed the update via OTA, have you checked??

See here:
    1. Find and press the settings button. It can be found together with your applications or in some cases on your homescreen.
    2. Once there press the tab named about phone.
    3. Towards the bottom of this screen press the software update tab.
    4. A screen will pop up where you will have to confirm your choice.
    5. Downloading a new version of Android can take some time depending on how big the upgrade is.
    6. When it’s done your phone will restart and when it boots again you will have the latest Android version officially available to your phone.

If you want or need to update manually, here is a guide, this is for Jellybean 4.1.2 which will require ODIN, and having correct drivers installed......

it's in the guide.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I just bought a Nexus 4 second-hand, have a couple of questions about the latest version of Android:

How do I fiddle with lock screen settings? Widgets and shortcuts. Can't find the settings anywhere.

The one/two finger pulldown is pretty cool for notifications and status bar. Is there any way of switching it so one finger is status and two is notifications?

Lastly, on the above status bar, the top left icon for me is "owner". When I touch it, nothing happens. What's that about?

Thanks in advance! I thought I knew my way around this stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

The top left icon is for switching users, I presume you don't have any other users on your phone so it's a bit redundant for you then.
    Can't help you with others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Just wondering, what exactly is the advantage/point of wireless charging as it currently exists? Does it charge quicker? I can see it becoming massive in the future but I don't understand the appeal right now.

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Just wondering, what exactly is the advantage/point of wireless charging as it currently exists? Does it charge quicker? I can see it becoming massive in the future but I don't understand the appeal right now.

Convenience of not plugging in a little fiddly cable. Thats it. Its pretty much a gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Until someone comes out with a wireless charging coffee table/nightstand. Put your device down anywhere on it and it charges, that would be handy. I agree though at the moment its a bit pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

EGriff wrote: »
    Until someone comes out with a wireless charging coffee table/nightstand. Put your device down anywhere on it and it charges, that would be handy. I agree though at the moment its a bit pointless.

I wouldn't' say that..have one on your bedside locker and put throw in on it at night..no messing around with bloody plugs/cables etc...pretty handy imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Blazer wrote: »
    I wouldn't' say that..have one on your bedside locker and put throw in on it at night..no messing around with bloody plugs/cables etc...pretty handy imo..

Yep agree, I have one on the nightstand and it's handy to go from half asleep Twitter reading to charging by just dropping it down on the pad, no fiddling about with wires.

I'm seeing some car manufacturers are starting to put them in Cars now too. (USA so far however)
    I'm hoping places like coffee shops and fast food joints get onboard with this thinking too and embed the tech into the tables you're sitting at as it's so simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looking for a bit of advice,have a rooted htc one with android version 4.1.2. Just wondering if it is worth upgrading to the official android version 4.3 when it comes out,loathe to lose my rooting capabilities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement