Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

s_carnage wrote: »
    Afraid that's all they have. It's mental that they haven't introduced something yet. I'm finally getting round to changing networks to 3 next week. Just ordered the free sim yesterday. You can buy a 500mb data bundle for €5 which should last the month.

:eek:

I'm still on the older meteor contract, and have 10GB a month for €15! Wouldn't use the whole 10GB, but easily go through 2/3 GB, depending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

:eek:

I'm still on the older meteor contract, and have 10GB a month for €15! Wouldn't use the whole 10GB, but easily go through 2/3 GB, depending!

Ya just saw that offer today actually. Its a huge amount of data but not sure would I need that much and like the rest of the offer with 3 (free texts and free wknd calls and for this month free credit for life) so will give it a month and see how I go.

Its good to see at least Meteor & 3 offering these decent offers for prepay. Maybe if enough people start leaving O2 and Vodafone they might get the finger out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ya just saw that offer today actually. Its a huge amount of data but not sure would I need that much and like the rest of the offer with 3 (free texts and free wknd calls and for this month free credit for life) so will give it a month and see how I go.

Its good to see at least Meteor & 3 offering these decent offers for prepay. Maybe if enough people start leaving O2 and Vodafone they might get the finger out!
    What offer is that? I'm thinking of leaving Meteor because of no data packages. Have they started offering one on prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Eh, what's with the permissions thing on the apps?

This application can access the following on your phone:

What does that mean? You personal info. History, bookmarks, contact data etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Jackobyte wrote: »
    What offer is that? I'm thinking of leaving Meteor because of no data packages. Have they started offering one on prepay?

All the info is here. 3prepay Don't know what there like as won't have actually joined until early next week. Best thing about prepay if you join and don't like it for whatever reason you can always leave straight away.

Just realised you are probably on about the Meteor data bundle. The info for that is here Meteor Seems it's just for bill customers.

• Advertisement

Eh, what's with the permissions thing on the apps?

What does that mean? You personal info. History, bookmarks, contact data etc etc.

Apps need to access certain things for certain reasons. A sms app would need to access your contacts to you can select a recipient for the text, it needs call access to send the text, and so on.

A game may need data access to upload your scores to a leaderboard, or to show adverts.
    All the info is here. 3prepay Don't know what there like as won't have actually joined until early next week. Best thing about prepay if you join and don't like it for whatever reason you can always leave straight away.

Just realised you are probably on about the Meteor data bundle. The info for that is here Meteor Seems it's just for bill customers.

Yeah, I'm on billpay.

Im heading to the continent this weekend, ive a desire with metoer bill pay. Once i go to:

Settings-networks-mobile networks-data roaming - and i have this unticked...then ill be ok, wont be loaded with data raoming charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Im heading to the continent this weekend, ive a desire with metoer bill pay. Once i go to:

Settings-networks-mobile networks-data roaming - and i have this unticked...then ill be ok, wont be loaded with data raoming charges?

Should be enough....I would switch off data connection completely to be sure:

Turning the data connection on or off
    Turning your data connection off can help optimize your battery life. It can also save money on data charges. However, when your data connection is turned off, you may not always receive automatic updates to your email, social network accounts, and other synchronized information.

From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings > Wireless & networks.
    Select the Mobile network check box to turn on the data connection; clear the check box to turn off the data connection.

http://www.htc.com/europe/howto.aspx?id=695&type=1&p_id=312

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i finally got sick enough of the stock 2.1 on my Hero to install a custom rom a few days ago. i went for Froydvillian as i heard it was good. pretty painless and straightforward. only problem i encountered was being unable to sign into my google account at the welcome screen ("google could not connect to servers blah blah something). quick search and its a common problem, solved either by signing in via the youtube app on the phone or doing it without the sim card inserted.

so quick review. (~5 days using it)

it fast. very fast. no stability issues at all so far. very impressed, and much faster than stock rom.

2.2 is a bonus. enough said. got a2sd now, but not sure if its actually working or not?
    i dont miss sense. i like it, but i dont miss it. launcher pro is what im using now. i only miss the HTC mail app (so far) gmail app is just too cluttery.

battery life has improved, but cant tell how much tbh. ive an extra maybe 25% more battery at the end of the day, and thats with heavy usage of wifi/3g gps permanently on and live walpapers running. syncing apps at 15min intervals.

overall, very happy with it, and wish i had done it earlyier. phone feels like new again. snappy, powerful. froydvillian is designed from the ground up for the hero, and it works wonders. no need to change any setting or OC the processor or anything (not that that stopped me tinkering a little :)

im getting a DHD tomorrow, and im really excited about it, but in some ways i think i dont need it. the Hero on froydvillian has revived my love for this phone. i could use it for another year and not feel too bad. aarg what to do.

what is sense like on the DHD? i might go the custom rom from day 1 unless someone could convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what is sense like on the DHD? i might go the custom rom from day 1 unless someone could convince me otherwise.

It's fine, works great, but even better if you change to the Revolution HD ROM, as it is basically identical, just optimised a lot more, and it runs much better IMHO

• Advertisement

Ok. I need a new phone. My LG has more or less given up. I can't travel to the North for a San Francisco. Which is the next best sub-250€ prepay android? I know you can occasionally get Galaxy S for around that price on adverts but I don't have time to mess around waiting for one to pop up. I'd like a phone I can play around with Custom ROM's with but that is not a deal breaker. Recommendations please, will probably buy tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Check out LeeDroid also, very fast and stable, with huge battery improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is there an app I can download for the Hero to get Wifi from my phone to use on the laptop?

WindSock wrote: »
    Is there an app I can download for the Hero to get Wifi from my phone to use on the laptop?

http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Communications/aNetShare-81358.shtml

aNetShare

I've used it in the past...worked well...no complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm sure I'm being a bit thick and missing something totally obvious here, but is there a way to easily combine duplicate contacts?
    Synced all of my blackberry contacts with google and they're now appearing on my phone, along with my existing gmail contacts AND my facebook contacts when all I want is one contact with all of the details (facebook picture, phone number and email addy)

(using CM7 rc3 on a blade if it makes a difference)

/edit
    Figured out how to merge contacts via gmail, but that'll still leave me with duplicate facebook contacts

/edit #2
    Never mind, figured it all out!

On my phone, I just noticed that Yahoo Finance is installed and it requires every permission by the looks of it. I checked in the downloaded tab and it isn't listed so it must have been a default app (haven't installed any non-market apps since I got my phone replaced). I am rooted and I still cannot uninstall it. The fact that it wants so many permissions is the worrying thing. I didn't install it(unless it was hidden in another app) and I doubt google package a yahoo app with their OS. Anyone know anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Jackobyte wrote: »
    On my phone, I just noticed that Yahoo Finance is installed and it requires every permission by the looks of it. I checked in the downloaded tab and it isn't listed so it must have been a default app (haven't installed any non-market apps since I got my phone replaced). I am rooted and I still cannot uninstall it. The fact that it wants so many permissions is the worrying thing. I didn't install it(unless it was hidden in another app) and I doubt google package a yahoo app with their OS. Anyone know anything?

Try under settings>applications>manage applications. See if it can be uninstalled there.
    Or check under system>app. see if it's installed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dai060588

Can you not start new threads on HTC desire for some reason I can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hey guys (and gals). So my trusty hero is tarting to feel the effects of my constant tinkering and has started to have problems (swiftkey failing to work after an update the most recent) and I was wondering if someone could suggest a rom to try out as it's been a while since I changed and am a bit out of the loop..

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hey guys (and gals). So my trusty hero is tarting to feel the effects of my constant tinkering and has started to have problems (swiftkey failing to work after an update the most recent) and I was wondering if someone could suggest a rom to try out as it's been a while since I changed and am a bit out of the loop..
    what rom have you been using? when i was still using my old Hero i got it running FroydVillain and it was very smooth and fast and great all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

what rom have you been using? when i was still using my old Hero i got it running FroydVillain and it was very smooth and fast and great all round.

Currently using VillainRom 12 I believe. I might check that out so. It's "sense"-less right? I don't really mind tbh if it's quick.

yea no sense, it uses launcher pro. i got used to living without sense pretty quickly and it makes the phone seem snappier.

I think VillianROM 13 has sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Talk about being lost, I've been trying to root my hero by following various links and advice from this thread and im getting nowhere but flustered.
    I've really no idea what I should be doing with it now.
    Has anyone got a current up to date, step by step method of rooting a hero with 2.1 installed on it.
    Help!!

kkhornet wrote: »
    Talk about being lost, I've been trying to root my hero by following various links and advice from this thread and im getting nowhere but flustered.
    I've really no idea what I should be doing with it now.
    Has anyone got a current up to date, step by step method of rooting a hero with 2.1 installed on it.
    Help!!
    download an app called universal androot. Google for the .apk install, run, choose 2.1+ let it run and reboot. job done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am having a problem with What'sApp,so is a mate so it may be a bug.When I select a pic to share it tells me the file is not a image.Any suggestions...?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tenzing

Anyone elses Hero have a battery that runs down extremely fast? I have had mine about 10 months now and it barely lasts a day. I use Advanced Task Killer, and have the screen brightness at the most minimum setting. When I plug it in to recharge it charges in about an hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Do you constantly have GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Tenzing wrote: »
    Anyone elses Hero have a battery that runs down extremely fast? I have had mine about 10 months now and it barely lasts a day. I use Advanced Task Killer, and have the screen brightness at the most minimum setting. When I plug it in to recharge it charges in about an hour.
    Ditch the task killer for a start

• Advertisement

Tenzing wrote: »

Lose the ATK, not needed anymore after 1.6.

If I manage to get a day out of mine, then that's great. Mostly I'm charging any time I'm near my charger, and over night. I can run the battery from 100% to 40% in the space of an hour, and spend the rest of the day on the 40%

Battery life was never spectacular on the Hero. It's the trade of you get for having a smart phone.

Advertisement