Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I bought a desire s a couple of weeks ago,my old phone was a hero which I picket up a couple of spare batterys for on eBay.My question is will the hero battery work with the desire....?to me they look the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hold out for this to be confirmed but once the amps and voltage are the same the worst it could do I imagine is not work with it.
    I'd bet they're not the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

If its too much you could fry your phone (I would doubt it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've rewritten a lot of the OP to bring it up to date (new info, links etc.)
    Thanks Davy for doing the update.

I had a part in making this list of links for devices main midding forums (Mostly XDA)
    [hide][size=12pt]HTC Phones[/size]

HTC Google Nexus One : XDA Development | MoDaCo

HTC Sapphire: myTouch 3G, Magic : XDA Development

HTC Hero: G2 Touch : XDA Development | MoDaCo

HTC Hero CDMA : XDA Development

HTC Rhodium: Touch Pro2, Tilt 2 : XDA Development

HTC Leo: HD2 : XDA Development SD method
    XDA Development NAND method

HTC Droid Eris : XDA Development

HTC HD Mini : XDA Development

HTC Legend : XDA Development

HTC Desire : XDA Development | MoDaCo

HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G : XDA Development

HTC Droid Incredible : XDA Development

HTC Espresso: myTouch 3G Slide : XDA Develpoment

HTC Aria : XDA Development

HTC Buzz: Wildfire : XDA Development

HTC Desire HD : XDA Development

HTC Desire Z/T-Mobile G2 : XDA Development

HTC Glacier: myTouch 4G : XDA Development

HTC EVO Shift 4G : XDA Development

HTC Thunderbolt : XDA Development

HTC Inspire 4G : XDA Development

HTC Incredible S : XDA Development

HTC Desire S : XDA Development

HTC Wildfire S : XDA Development

HTC Salsa : XDA Development

HTC EVO 3D : XDA Development

[size=12pt]Samsung Phones[/size]

Samsung Google Nexus S : XDA Development

Samsung Captivate : XDA Development

Samsung Vibrant : XDA Development

Samsung Epic 4G : XDA Development

Samsung Mesmerize : XDA Development

Samsung Fascinate : XDA Development

Samsung Galaxy S I9000 : XDA Development

Samsung Galaxy 3 : XDA Development

Samsung Continuum : XDA Development

Samsung Intercept : XDA Development

Samsung Galaxy S II : XDA Development

Samsung Galaxy S 4G : XDA Development

[size=12pt]LG, Motorola & Sony Erricson Phones[/size]

LG GT540 Optimus : XDA Development

LG Optimus One, P500, V XDA Development

LG Optimus 2x : XDA Development | MoDaCo

LG Optimus 3D : XDA Development

Motorola Droid and Milestone : Droid XDA Development
    Milestone XDA Development

Motorola Milestone XT720 : XDA Development

Motorola Milestone 2 : XDA Development

Motorola Droid 2 : Android XDA Development
    Global XDA Android Development

Motorola Droid X : XDA Development

Motorola Bravo : XDA Development

Motorola Flipside : XDA Development

Motorola Defy : XDA Development

Motorola Atrix 4G : XDA Development

Motorola Droid Bionic : XDA Development

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play : XDA Development

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc : XDA Development

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8 : XDA Development

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 Mini : XDA Development

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 : XDA Development

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 : XDA Development

[size=12pt]Other Phones[/size]

ZTE Blade: XDA Development | MoDaCo

Kyocera Zio M6000 : XDA Development

Dell Venue: XDA Development

Dell Streak : XDA Development | MoDaCo

Acer Liquid : MoDaCo

T-Mobile Pulse : MoDaCo

[size=12pt]Tablets[/size]

Samsung Galaxy Tab : GSM XDA Development
    CDMA XDA Development

Viewsonic G Tablet : XDA Development

Barnes & Noble Nook Color : XDA Development

Archos Gen8 : XDA Development

Notion Ink Adam : XDA Development

Huawei Ideos S7 : XDA Development

Elocity A7 : XDA Development

Toshiba Folio 100
    : XDA Development

Motorola Xoom : XDA Development

Advent Vega : XDA Development | MoDaCo

HTC Flyer : XDA Development

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 : XDA Development

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've moved to a HTC Wildifre S today and I'm afraid I've a few n00b questions. I'm up to around page 20 of this thread so far, but is it best to post here or start a separate thread? I'll stay away from rooting for the moment. I've downloaded the long version of the phone's manual.

Fire away, TBO. I'll help if I can. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Alright, thanks. :) Very n00b like, here we go.

- My old phone was old and didn't have bluetooth, got a new SIM and that seems to be fine. Not entirely sure how to add phone numbers. I have some family members down as emergency numbers (I.C.E.), but want to just add them as ordinary numbers as well, rather than being constantly ringing I.C.E. John, etc. I go into People> Add Contacts and can't seem to do much there, unless that's just for internet type contacts which might be why I'm not making progress...

- If 3G is on, is it clear, will the symbol always be there if it's in 3G mode or can it be sneaky? I thought I had wi-fi turned off and I couldn't access my home broadband, (with the network key), but I already seem to have used a bit of credit (am on PAYG). I never saw the 3G symbol and thought I had unticked certain things to try and disable data usage. I was also unable to setup my Google account to get register with market. I thought I was completely internetless, (kinda what I wanted just to get the show on the road), but if credit's gone then apparently not.

- I won't be using social network sites. Might occasionally check a twitter transport twitter, but that would only be if the bus/train is delayed. I'll likely using the phone in 2G mode most of the time, so, and perhaps is this more important from a memory/RAM perspective, can you turn off the facebook app permanently? And more importantly, if you do this, your battery runs flat, will the phone remember that you disabled particular apps/features the next time the device is on?

- Similar to above, task killer/juice defender...are these worthwhile for battery life or anything else? I know in the apps section you see what's running, MB, uptime, etc, but how much of this is necessary? E.g., some of the Google services, some 360 stuff (which I assume is Vodafone as that's who I'm with, guess it's bloatage) and then perhaps unnecessary things like two versions of calendar? :confused: How much of that can you tweak? I did force quit facebook and such.

- Home screen: a bit confused here. I had changed it to one of the in built ones, threw airplane mode and gmail widgets/shortcuts on the home screen and then went back to the default one and the airplane mode and gmail widgets were no longer there. So, how do you get widgets to remain in terms of them being linked to your home screen, like a set of icon's on a personal desktop on a PC? I know how to drag/pin them, that's OK...just making sure they stay put if changing screen times. Also, the big feckin' clock, I presume you can't really do much here unless you root it? I'd be happy enough with the little thing at the top right hand corner. I know there are analogue versions, but I'd prefer not to have any huge clock face on display.

- Not being able to use the alarm and turn the phone completely off is a little annoying and whilst someone mentioned Klaxon it seems you have ensure any Task killer (if I'm reading this post correctly) isn't on. So I presume there's not much that can be done if you want to run an app killer and simultaneously turn your phone off (yet wake it up with an alarm).

Getting apps: once I get past the basic stuff above I'll try to hook this up via USB cable and then connect it go my home wi-fi. Is that all I need to do to avoid using my PAYG credit? Assuming other data facilities are off, of course. Is this the best way of getting apps whilst connected to your PC?

Locking the screen: I've set it to lock immediately, from a brief web search there doesn't appear to be a way of waking it other than through the power button. Also, can you lock it manually through the touchscreen rather than it being auto enabled?

Silent mode: I've disabled some of the vibrate features, but if you have to go to silent mode at short notice is it just the ringer volume buttons on the side?

Phew, you're probably sorry I asked now.
    :o :pac:

I'm kind of in a rush but: Don't use a task killer. Android is competent at task managing and a task killer only messes things up.
    When you turn an Android off its actually off unlike a Nokia. I like this as you don't lose the time when removing the battery and your alarm won't go off in class
    Network Data (3G, Edge) will be used even if screen Is off. Get a widget to turn it on off when you wish

Each home screen app is seperate

- My old phone was old and didn't have bluetooth, got a new SIM and that seems to be fine. Not entirely sure how to add phone numbers. I have some family members down as emergency numbers (I.C.E.), but want to just add them as ordinary numbers as well, rather than being constantly ringing I.C.E. John, etc. I go into People> Add Contacts and can't seem to do much there, unless that's just for internet type contacts which might be why I'm not making progress...

In People, press the menu button on your phone, and "Add Contact".
    It's easier to set them up as google contacts and just sync your phone, though (typing on computer is easier than keying in on phone!)
    - If 3G is on, is it clear, will the symbol always be there if it's in 3G mode or can it be sneaky? I thought I had wi-fi turned off and I couldn't access my home broadband, (with the network key), but I already seem to have used a bit of credit (am on PAYG). I never saw the 3G symbol and thought I had unticked certain things to try and disable data usage. I was also unable to setup my Google account to get register with market. I thought I was completely internetless, (kinda what I wanted just to get the show on the road), but if credit's gone then apparently not.

Add a data widget to the homescreen and use it to toggle your data connection (and/or wifi). Hold finger on homescreen, add a widget, find the mobile data widget (under settings maybe?) and select it. It will be added to your homescreen. Do the same for wifi. Green=On, Red=Off.
    - I won't be using social network sites. Might occasionally check a twitter transport twitter, but that would only be if the bus/train is delayed. I'll likely using the phone in 2G mode most of the time, so, and perhaps is this more important from a memory/RAM perspective, can you turn off the facebook app permanently? And more importantly, if you do this, your battery runs flat, will the phone remember that you disabled particular apps/features the next time the device is on?

Don't set up facebook and it won't be used. Settings are stored on your phone, so they'll all still be there if you run out of juice.
    - Similar to above, task killer/juice defender...are these worthwhile for battery life or anything else? I know in the apps section you see what's running, MB, uptime, etc, but how much of this is necessary? E.g., some of the Google services, some 360 stuff (which I assume is Vodafone as that's who I'm with, guess it's bloatage) and then perhaps unnecessary things like two versions of calendar? :confused: How much of that can you tweak? I did force quit facebook and such.

Task killers are a waste of time on Android 2.2 and above. See my Android FAQ on this forum for more info. Some apps can be removed from Settings/Applications. Some (like 360) can't without rooting your phone and installing a new ROM.
    - Home screen: a bit confused here. I had changed it to one of the in built ones, threw airplane mode and gmail widgets/shortcuts on the home screen and then went back to the default one and the airplane mode and gmail widgets were no longer there. So, how do you get widgets to remain in terms of them being linked to your home screen, like a set of icon's on a personal desktop on a PC? I know how to drag/pin them, that's OK...just making sure they stay put if changing screen times. Also, the big feckin' clock, I presume you can't really do much here unless you root it? I'd be happy enough with the little thing at the top right hand corner. I know there are analogue versions, but I'd prefer not to have any huge clock face on display.

HTC Sense (the UI you're using) allows you to save your homescreens as a set (I think they call them scenes). When you loaded your old homescreen, you're working with a whole new set of 7 screens. Set up one set of screens the way you like it, and stick with it. :)
    - Not being able to use the alarm and turn the phone completely off is a little annoying and whilst someone mentioned Klaxon it seems you have ensure any Task killer (if I'm reading this post correctly) isn't on. So I presume there's not much that can be done if you want to run an app killer and simultaneously turn your phone off (yet wake it up with an alarm).

I don't know how you expect the alarm to work unless the phone is on. Doesn't make sense. :) Must look into Klaxon and check it out.

Getting apps: once I get past the basic stuff above I'll try to hook this up via USB cable and then connect it go my home wi-fi. Is that all I need to do to avoid using my PAYG credit? Assuming other data facilities are off, of course. Is this the best way of getting apps whilst connected to your PC?

Turn wifi on, turn mobile data off, and your credit is safe.
    You don't need a USB cable to connect to wifi.
    Locking the screen: I've set it to lock immediately, from a brief web search there doesn't appear to be a way of waking it other than through the power button. Also, can you lock it manually through the touchscreen rather than it being auto enabled?

I just use the power button to lock the screen and to wake the phone up. Its the way I've always done it. :)
    Silent mode: I've disabled some of the vibrate features, but if you have to go to silent mode at short notice is it just the ringer volume buttons on the side?

Use the silent mode widget for your homescreen. Green=On, Red=Off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Alright, thanks. :) Very n00b like, here we go.

Phew, you're probably sorry I asked now.
    :o :pac:

I do my best to help as I have the same phone and love it:D

With regard to Contacts, you will need a Gmail account set-up with all your contacts imported to there. Don't worry if you never use it, you just need it for your phone. Once your contacts are set up in Gmail, they will always sync to your phone.

3G will always be on your phone notification bar, and a clearer read-out can be had by swiping the screen downwards from this notification bar. It's generally accurate. Wi-Fi is free, and the 3G Watchdog lets you know how much mobile internet you have used. I believe that on PAYG, it's 69c per day but I might be wrong there. I have a 250MB cap on BillPay (Meteor) and I rarely use more than 10% as I make sure I use Wi-Fi wherever possible. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on and enable it to notify you of available Wi-Fi connections when you're out and about.

Facebook can actually be uninstalled if you really don't want it, but otherwise, if you're not logged onto FB on your phone, it won't do anything. Settings are remembered whenever your phone is switched off and on.

Personally, I'd stay away from Task Killer and such like. You'd need to know what you're doing and I believe they are not strictly neccessary on non-rooted phones.

Screens. Before changing to a new screen, SAVE the one you've been using, by giving it a name. Then you can always come back to it. Different screens can have different widgets/shortcuts, like say, travelling, work, play, music...etc. You can get different clocks on Market and you can get rid of the default clock by dragging it down to the Bin on the bottom of your screen. A really nice clock is Fancy Widget, as you can make the clock as transparent as you like.

Can't help you with the alarm, sorry. Why do you want to turn your phone off? If you put your phone on Silent at night, the alarm will still wake you in the morning, if that's any help....:)

Just to to Market and download apps to your phone using Wi-Fi. I can't say connecting to your PC will be easier, seems like a hassle really. As long as you have Wi-Fi, you should not be using any of your data downloads.

Locking the screen can be done by selecting "screen timeout" under Settings>Display, or pressing the power button. Unlocking it is done by pressing the power button and swiping down.

Ringer volume button on the right can be used to go to Silent mode quickly and an icon will appear on the notification bar of a phone vibrating.

Hope all that helps, Wildfire is a really great phone and although I have mine about 7 months now, I stil love playing around with it and discovering new features! :D

Here's a really useful site - http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/htc/articles/108087.aspx

He has the Wildfire S! :p
    Rooting doesn't affect how unnecessary task killers are

Hey,
    Thanks all, really appreciate all that. :) Now for some follow up questions.

A friend recommended these two apps Fast Reboot and App 2 SD, are they worthwhile?

Not sure what the problem was with contacts - I was going to People, Add Contact, typed a person's name in the 'select contact' box, but there was no option to add a number. I must not be going about it the correct way. Anyway, I've gone ahead and set up something like blahblahblackoil@gmail.com and added two numbers there which seems to have worked because they're now in the phone. Not sure about backing that stuff up automatically, so I've said no to that for the moment. My sister's number appears to have been lost in the SIM card copying that was done in store today, hmm.

Now for using marketplace - is it better to do this from your device or can you do it over your PC? I had gmail open in Firefox, went to the marketplace, tried to install an app only for it to say 'There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account' even though I'm logged in. Anyway, I went ahead and did it on the phone. Would be handy for starting up if I'm getting 7 or 8 widgets in one go to simply search via the market whilst here on the PC. I have silent mode widget now, ta. I presume widgets use memory if they're idle or is only when you select them?

Re the alarm, alarm on my old phone Nokia used to work when the phone was completely off. Silent mode meant it would just flash rather than beep beep, so not much use as an alarm, will see if the same applies to this device. Will probably set it to airline mode at night.

How do you save the homescreen?

I've noticed that some options are set to check things every X minutes/hours. E.g., weather or stocks, certainly have no interest in the latter...anyway for those you know you won't be going near is there a way of telling it not to check at all because I didn't see anything like that, just a list of time options. I think I have most of that stuff disabled, but ya know, just in case it has a mind of its own.

Edit, one last thing, when I had wi-fi, etc turned off earlier there was still a little symbol of bars (increasing in height), is this signal or something internet related? If it's the former that's OK, if the latter...I hope it can stay off if you want all web activity off.

Hey,

A friend recommended these two apps Fast Reboot and App 2 SD, are they worthwhile?

Not sure what the problem was with contacts - I was going to People, Add Contact, typed a person's name in the 'select contact' box, but there was no option to add a number. I must not be going about it the correct way. Anyway, I've gone ahead and set up something like blahblahblackoil@gmail.com and added two numbers there which seems to have worked because they're now in the phone. Not sure about backing that stuff up automatically, so I've said no to that for the moment. My sister's number appears to have been lost in the SIM card copying that was done in store today, hmm. Gmail updates your contacts automatically every time you make a change on your PC or phone :D

Now for using marketplace - is it better to do this from your device or can you do it over your PC? I had gmail open in Firefox, went to the marketplace, tried to install an app only for it to say 'There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account' even though I'm logged in. Anyway, I went ahead and did it on the phone. Would be handy for starting up if I'm getting 7 or 8 widgets in one go to simply search via the market whilst here on the PC. I have silent mode widget now, ta. I presume widgets use memory if they're idle or is only when you select them? I'd say better from your device, for convenience. You can download as many apps as you like in one go on your phone, as long as you have enough memory!! Think about an SD Card! To check what's using your battery, go to Settings>About Phone>Battery>Battery Use.

Re the alarm, alarm on my old phone Nokia used to work when the phone was completely off. Silent mode meant it would just flash rather than beep beep, so not much use as an alarm, will see if the same applies to this device. Will probably set it to airline mode at night. You don't have to set it to airline mode at night! :D

How do you save the homescreen? Saving homescreen = Menu>Settings>Personalise>Scenes...then save Current before selecting or creating a new one.

I've noticed that some options are set to check things every X minutes/hours. E.g., weather or stocks, certainly have no interest in the latter...anyway for those you know you won't be going near is there a way of telling it not to check at all because I didn't see anything like that, just a list of time options. I think I have most of that stuff disabled, but ya know, just in case it has a mind of its own. Just go into the app, and in Settings in the app, change updates etc.

Edit, one last thing, when I had wi-fi, etc turned off earlier there was still a little symbol of bars (increasing in height), is this signal or something internet related? If it's the former that's OK, if the latter...I hope it can stay off if you want all web activity off. Nope, that is your signal!biggrin.gif

I know nothing about the 2 apps you mentioned....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hey,

App 2 SD moves the app you have installed from the phone memory on the SD card memory which is useful if you have a lot of apps as the phone only has limited space whereas you can have as big an SD card as you want.

Not sure what the problem was with contacts - I was going to People, Add Contact, typed a person's name in the 'select contact' box, but there was no option to add a number. I must not be going about it the correct way. Anyway, I've gone ahead and set up something like blahblahblackoil@gmail.com and added two numbers there which seems to have worked because they're now in the phone. Not sure about backing that stuff up automatically, so I've said no to that for the moment. My sister's number appears to have been lost in the SIM card copying that was done in store today, hmm.
    Your contacts will also be stored in your gmail account and it can be easier to make the changes on your gmail account and then re-sync with your phone if you find it fiddly on the phone. The account that you are signed into and option to manually sync is in settings> accounts and sync

Now for using marketplace - is it better to do this from your device or can you do it over your PC? I had gmail open in Firefox, went to the marketplace, tried to install an app only for it to say 'There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account' even though I'm logged in. Anyway, I went ahead and did it on the phone. Would be handy for starting up if I'm getting 7 or 8 widgets in one go to simply search via the market whilst here on the PC. I have silent mode widget now, ta. I presume widgets use memory if they're idle or is only when you select them?
    Once you have the same account signed in on the phone as you sign into the market.android.com site it should show under the items to install on option when you select an app to install. As for widgets they are only shortcuts to apps or settings, and for me they only update when i select them...(I have auto sync and auto data switched off so apps only sync when i tell them to

Re the alarm, alarm on my old phone Nokia used to work when the phone was completely off. Silent mode meant it would just flash rather than beep beep, so not much use as an alarm, will see if the same applies to this device. Will probably set it to airline mode at night.
    Alarm works all the time even when switched off. Silent mode i think it still works as normal although I cant be sure

How do you save the homescreen?
    Homescreen dosent change unless you add an app or widget to it...Im not sure what you are trying to say here?

I've noticed that some options are set to check things every X minutes/hours. E.g., weather or stocks, certainly have no interest in the latter...anyway for those you know you won't be going near is there a way of telling it not to check at all because I didn't see anything like that, just a list of time options. I think I have most of that stuff disabled, but ya know, just in case it has a mind of its own.
    In settings > Accounts and Sync settings > Auto-Sync....If you switch this off then apps wont sync until you tell them to

Edit, one last thing, when I had wi-fi, etc turned off earlier there was still a little symbol of bars (increasing in height), is this signal or something internet related? If it's the former that's OK, if the latter...I hope it can stay off if you want all web activity off.

fancy-widget-android-app.jpg
    Im guessing you have something similar enough to this quick explanation is this going from right to left:
    time, battery, signal level, 3G indicates you have data enabled and are connectedto a 3G network (H is for HSDPA (faster 3g if you will)) G is GRPS which is 2G data network,...these will be replaced by the wifi indicator if you have wifi enabled

Hope that helps

Hey,
    Thanks again for all the help.

I'm still a little unsure of how use contacts effectively, or rather, the phone button/menu. Is there a way of scrolling without accidentally dialing? When I got into phone the dial, the numberpad comes up, but goes away once I start scrolling through the names, it's just a little small until the numberpad disappears and you can start going through your list. Also, searching by name, not just number? As in, you type Mi or Mic to narrow down who you want to call. Can only seem to type numbers, I'm probably doing it wrong. What's the deal with seeing length of calls, etc, that's around somewhere. I have some call history thing which indicates when the calls were made/received.

I think* there's a 2GB card in the phone which is handy, was only expecting 512MB, same as the RAM. *need to double check. Does the phone itself know where to store apps or do you need to point it in the direction of the card? Edit, guess neacy's answer covers this re App 2 SD.

Still not sure if I'm closing certain apps correctly, or rather, permanently. I presume that this is largely down to each one's individual settings? I can see the list off apps running such as Google Services, Sense, Skin Picker, 360 Shop (think it's Vodafone junk), how many of these are essential? If I want 3G watchdog completely off most of the time (as it probably won't be needed) I presume I can make this adjustment in its settings? I thought I had shut down Skype, but checked and it was still going (have shut Skype widget or whatever it's called). I've not put Skype through its paces yet, mind.

Re saving the homescreen, cardol's post suggests this is possible. I think I got mixed up before in changing the location of widgets, reverting to another screen and wondering why some widgets were gone (could be just my imagination, ahem). Also, live wallpapers, does that mean they use memory/are not static?

Tried the alarm when the phone was off, don't think it worked, but will give it another shot.

Spare parts - was thinking of buying an additional USB lead for charging, one for travel and one for home. Ebay, etc are probably the best place for this. Think it's not quite micro or standard, bit like the Kindle one.

Lastly, updates. What's the story here? Say in 18 months time they release 2.4.7 or something, are they a bit like Microsoft in that after a certain period of time they won't offer support for certain things? Will they say XYZ is too old? I presume that the idea of updates is to improve the quality of the OS's infrastructure, so to speak.

Just leave apps as they are in the background... they'll be grand. Your not supposed to close them

This might be the thing to print off and read The Black Oil, it pretty much covers all the things you need to know :D

https://www.vodafone.com.mt/file.aspx?f=5139

Thanks yeah, I have it. :) Now all I need to do is RTFM. :pac: Think I figured out a way of swiping the screen to move through the contact list more easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I got an LG android in the States, can I just get it unlocked so I can use it over here with my old Meteor SIM card?

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    I got an LG android in the States, can I just get it unlocked so I can use it over here with my old Meteor SIM card?

If its GSM like, yeah

If its GSM like, yeah

what's the best site for getting an unlock code?

Parsley wrote: »
    what's the best site for getting an unlock code?
    I dont know, my phone was free to unlock...

neacy69 wrote: »

It's a P509.

Thats the optimus i believe

heres another link

http://www.cellunlocker.net/blog/2010/12/how-to-unlock-lg-p509-optimus/

you will probably need to pay for an unlocking service or get it from the operator you bought the handset from in the states

neacy69 wrote: »
    Thats the optimus i believe

heres another link

http://www.cellunlocker.net/blog/2010/12/how-to-unlock-lg-p509-optimus/

you will probably need to pay for an unlocking service or get it from the operator you bought the handset from in the states

cheers, i paid for an unlocking code from cellunlocker anyway, waiting for it to come through now...

tis unlocked and working perfectly now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm getting frustrated! I can't figure out how to set up email on my Sony Ericsson X8. I've googled many guides but none of them help.

So I select the email app, enter my address and password, (it's a college email address (@tcd.ie) but it's actually gmail. I don't know if this is relevant or not) and am prompted for loads of stuff like server address and encryption type. I tried using the settings listed here but was given "server not found" or something. I've enabled IMAP on my gmail settings. If anyone could let me know what I'm doing wrong I'd be very grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I'm getting frustrated! I can't figure out how to set up email on my Sony Ericsson X8. I've googled many guides but none of them help.

So I select the email app, enter my address and password, (it's a college email address (@tcd.ie) but it's actually gmail. I don't know if this is relevant or not) and am prompted for loads of stuff like server address and encryption type. I tried using the settings listed here but was given "server not found" or something. I've enabled IMAP on my gmail settings. If anyone could let me know what I'm doing wrong I'd be very grateful!

I think college email isn't exactly the same as an actual Gmail account, and that the regular gmail settings won't apply. Maybe ISServices would know the correct settings?

Advertisement