Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irishrebelsc

Mr E wrote: »
    Rooting is, as I said above, removing all restrictions from your phone. From a quick look around, it seems that rooting (for many operators) will void your warranty, but with a bit of preparation, you can "unroot" a phone before returning it (assuming your phone is still in a working condition). Read more on the subject here. I think I remember reading on the big HTC Hero thread that someone returned a faulty rooted phone, and got a replacement (no questions asked). Its up to you if you want to proceed, but just be aware of the issues.

ROMs are basically images of the operating system (the files need to run your phone - the icons, homescreen, contact list etc). Flashing a ROM is the term for putting a new version of the ROM on your phone. If you have a Nexus, you already have the latest version of the operating system on your phone, so there is nothing to flash (for now).

Overclocking is a term for speeding up your phone by making the CPU (the brain of the phone) run faster. Overclocking any hardware is a balancing act between improving the speed of the device, and decreasing the stability and battery life of the device. The Nexus is running on a 1GHz processor, so its already pretty nippy. Not much point (or benefit) in overclocking it.

I read somewhere that rooting can also make the phone less secure ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"The Free Software Foundation Europe argues that it is legal to root or flash any device. According to the European Directive 1999/44/CE, replacing the original operating system with another does not void the statutory warranty that covers the hardware of the device for two years unless the seller can prove that the modification caused the defect.[18]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)

My opinion: rooting and removing bloatsoftware provided by mobile network provider or phone producer makes in _more_ secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I read somewhere that rooting can also make the phone less secure ?!

Rooting gives the user full control. For a smart user this is a good thing, for a dumb user this is a bad thing. The manufacturers dont give you root from the factory as average joe may just banjax his handset and then send it back to where he bought it with "it broke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I have been reading around about rooting. Do I need to do this s off business? Doesn't seem to be the norm for rooting?

What handset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bit of a longshot, and I'm sure it's unlikely, but would it be possible to rename this from "Android Devices" to "Android and Google".

Seeing as we post a lot here on more than just Android based systems, but Google as a whole it may make general navigation easier for other posters who have questions about Google itself.

As Google is in it's own right, one of the biggest companies on earth and a major influence on modern tech, I reckon it would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Does anyone know how I can get the RTE/TV3 players on my Samsung galaxy ace 2. There seems to be some ongoing row between Adobe and Google which prevents the flash player from being downloaded . Players won't work without this. Will it download with Firefox?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Use Boat Browser and you should be able to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Use Boat Browser and you should be able to get them.

Tried that sandeman. No good. Can get into the player alright but am then told I need the latest version of Flash to watch anything and on clicking install am told that flash is not supported by my device.

I was able to install from some unofficial site (can't remember but it's posted somewhere in this forum) but it only works with Boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

betistuc wrote: »
    Tried that sandeman. No good. Can get into the player alright but am then told I need the latest version of Flash to watch anything and on clicking install am told that flash is not supported by my device.
    Firefox works for me.
    Just bookmark the website and link it to your home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why are all my apps asking me about manual updates all of a sudden? The checkbox for automatic updates seems to have disappeared in the Play redesign now whenever I look at the phone theres another app hassling me including all the ones I told to auto-update...

On the plus side I am deleting loads of them that I dont use anymore.

GS3 is being a cnut so I cant post the screeny. Go apps, my apps, pick one, menu button, option to auto update is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Silly question, I know, but is it possible to get 'smilies' on a Samsung Galaxy?

While we are at it, I can't find smileys on the G510 either. Any ideas?

Get a different keyboard app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

Had a Samsung Jet and have upgraded to the Galaxy 4. Was able to password protect my photos, messages and memos no problem with the Jet, but I can't find anything similar in the S4. Do i have to download a specific app? and which one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ashleyhere wrote: »
    Had a Samsung Jet and have upgraded to the Galaxy 4. Was able to password protect my photos, messages and memos no problem with the Jet, but I can't find anything similar in the S4. Do i have to download a specific app? and which one. Thanks.

Samsung Jet??

Old non-Android, I think....Symbian??

Samsung proprietary software, probably.

However, if you need to hide files, pics, vids...and the App!!! etc, there is this App:

File Hide Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Samsung Jet??

Old non-Android, I think....Symbian??

Samsung proprietary software, probably.

However, if you need to hide files, pics, vids...and the App!!! etc, there is this App:

File Hide Pro

I'm pretty sure it ran Samsung's own OS: Bada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Zagato wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it ran Samsung's own OS: Bada

I don't know.... just when you Google jet you get stuff like this...

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=2826.0

• Advertisement

For the past few weeks, my Galaxy. Ace will only connect to the internet from a Wi- fi. Is there something I need to do to get the internet outside a Wi-fi area. I've tried turning off Wi-fi setting, but it makes no difference. Anyone got a suggestion (in plain language please!)

Try going into 'mobile network settings' and check if you have 'data enabled' ticked.

Yep, that seems to have done the job, Sandeman. Thanks a lot. I'll do the same for you someday!

coolhull wrote: »
    Yep, that seems to have done the job, Sandeman. Thanks a lot. I'll do the same for you someday!

Nice one. No worries.

By the way, unless you are with 3 I would suggest only keeping it ticked when you need it. Otherwise it will be constantly updating and using up your credit.

I have a billpay. Does the same advice apply, sandeman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

coolhull wrote: »
    I have a billpay. Does the same advice apply, sandeman?

Unless you have an unlimited data plan then you should at least keep a close eye on how much you're using. If you go over your allowance they will crucify you with extra charges.

That advice applies even more to bill pay users since prepay people can only use the credit they have bought, whereas there's been stories of people getting bills of 100s of Euros for using extra data.

I'm not sure what android version your using but this app will help you keep an eye on your usage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭avfc1874

hi sorry if i'm in the wrong thread. i'm on the lookout for new phone , just need it for phone txt, radio, and few apps. i,ve only had basic phones before, so want to try apps , games. i like the prepay with meteor as you get free txts and calls to other users. (i,m with meteor) there is some nice ones on the meteor site (samsung galaxy, pocket neo, sony experia.) any advice would be appreciated, i,d like to keep my number if possible. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi sorry if i'm in the wrong thread. i'm on the lookout for new phone , just need it for phone txt, radio, and few apps. i,ve only had basic phones before, so want to try apps , games. i like the prepay with meteor as you get free txts and calls to other users. (i,m with meteor) there is some nice ones on the meteor site (samsung galaxy, pocket neo, sony experia.) any advice would be appreciated, i,d like to keep my number if possible. thanks

If you have a look at the Jiayu G3S thread you should get some idea of a decent spec cheap Chinese android phone, you could get a fairly decent one delivered through DHL for between 160 and 200 depending on how much you want to spend....

Check out www.spemall.com and the like for an idea, and just stick to the DHL delivery option and you should be good to go... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WrongWay

Hey, just looking for some information.

What is the latest version of android available on a samsung galaxy s2 on Three?

I currently have version 2.3.3. Is there any major differences with the new versions? Is it worth updating?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement