Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi is there any way to set the "3 3g" network as the preferred network to always try to connect to instead of roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

WrongWay wrote: »
    Hey, just looking for some information.

What is the latest version of android available on a samsung galaxy s2 on Three?

I currently have version 2.3.3. Is there any major differences with the new versions? Is it worth updating?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, you can update to official Jellybean 4.1.2 at the very least...

You may need to do this manually, as I'm not sure Three have pushed the update via OTA, have you checked??

See here:
    1. Find and press the settings button. It can be found together with your applications or in some cases on your homescreen.
    2. Once there press the tab named about phone.
    3. Towards the bottom of this screen press the software update tab.
    4. A screen will pop up where you will have to confirm your choice.
    5. Downloading a new version of Android can take some time depending on how big the upgrade is.
    6. When it’s done your phone will restart and when it boots again you will have the latest Android version officially available to your phone.

If you want or need to update manually, here is a guide, this is for Jellybean 4.1.2 which will require ODIN, and having correct drivers installed......

it's in the guide.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I just bought a Nexus 4 second-hand, have a couple of questions about the latest version of Android:

How do I fiddle with lock screen settings? Widgets and shortcuts. Can't find the settings anywhere.

The one/two finger pulldown is pretty cool for notifications and status bar. Is there any way of switching it so one finger is status and two is notifications?

Lastly, on the above status bar, the top left icon for me is "owner". When I touch it, nothing happens. What's that about?

Thanks in advance! I thought I knew my way around this stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

The top left icon is for switching users, I presume you don't have any other users on your phone so it's a bit redundant for you then.
    Can't help you with others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Just wondering, what exactly is the advantage/point of wireless charging as it currently exists? Does it charge quicker? I can see it becoming massive in the future but I don't understand the appeal right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Just wondering, what exactly is the advantage/point of wireless charging as it currently exists? Does it charge quicker? I can see it becoming massive in the future but I don't understand the appeal right now.

Convenience of not plugging in a little fiddly cable. Thats it. Its pretty much a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Until someone comes out with a wireless charging coffee table/nightstand. Put your device down anywhere on it and it charges, that would be handy. I agree though at the moment its a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

EGriff wrote: »
    Until someone comes out with a wireless charging coffee table/nightstand. Put your device down anywhere on it and it charges, that would be handy. I agree though at the moment its a bit pointless.

I wouldn't' say that..have one on your bedside locker and put throw in on it at night..no messing around with bloody plugs/cables etc...pretty handy imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Blazer wrote: »
    I wouldn't' say that..have one on your bedside locker and put throw in on it at night..no messing around with bloody plugs/cables etc...pretty handy imo..

Yep agree, I have one on the nightstand and it's handy to go from half asleep Twitter reading to charging by just dropping it down on the pad, no fiddling about with wires.

I'm seeing some car manufacturers are starting to put them in Cars now too. (USA so far however)
    I'm hoping places like coffee shops and fast food joints get onboard with this thinking too and embed the tech into the tables you're sitting at as it's so simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looking for a bit of advice,have a rooted htc one with android version 4.1.2. Just wondering if it is worth upgrading to the official android version 4.3 when it comes out,loathe to lose my rooting capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

OK - need some help please.

was on here: http://www.spemall.com/

There is just too much choice. How do I pick one over another?

It's time that I got a good android phone, the whole thing passed me by. But I love my gadgets too much to go much longer without a decent phone.

It won't be my primary way to access the internet - far from it (I love my PC too much).
    I'd like it to be able to organise my life, and I want it for all the internet goodies that a good android phone does, ok-ish camera, music, video, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    OK - need some help please.

was on here: http://www.spemall.com/

There is just too much choice. How do I pick one over another?

It's time that I got a good android phone, the whole thing passed me by. But I love my gadgets too much to go much longer without a decent phone.

It won't be my primary way to access the internet - far from it (I love my PC too much).
    I'd like it to be able to organise my life, and I want it for all the internet goodies that a good android phone does, ok-ish camera, music, video, etc.

THOUGHT I'd got a 'good' phone 2+years ago , paid €100+ for it and ground to a tech halt because it wasn't an Andriod !
    Just got myself a Tesco Mobile Huawei Y201 on special this month at €49 and I've now downloaded Apps from the Google play store - Internet radio, maps, D Bus :( , BUT I'm now out of space with the 4GB micro SD card in it so it looks like I'll have to get a bigger one

Q - is 32GB SD micro ok/good, or is a 64GB better with similar quality :confused:

And where's a good place pricewise ??

Memoryc.ie or mymemory.co.uk.

Not all controllers can handle 64GB, so check that first. Im a heavy user and have never needed more than 32GB.

Got 32 GB micro SD, but phone still says 'insufficient space on the device' to install TuneIn radio etc. :confused:

Capri wrote: »
    Got 32 GB micro SD, but phone still says 'insufficient space on the device' to install TuneIn radio etc. :confused:

You need to move the current apps from the NAND to the SD card. Some phones this requires rooting.

ED E wrote: »
    You need to move the current apps from the NAND to the SD card. Some phones this requires rooting.

NAND ?? :confused: I'll check around and see what happens , moving apps :confused:

The NAND is the 4GB on the actual phone itself. Apps by default install there, but non critical ones can be transferred over to the SD card.

ED E wrote: »
    The NAND is the 4GB on the actual phone itself. Apps by default install there, but non critical ones can be transferred over to the SD card.

Thanks. But the NAND holds al the 'critical' ones :confused:, so how do I install apps ( from Google play /store ) on the SD card that I bought with 32GB. I can't see anything saying which card do I want to install on.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Hi. My Galaxy Ace freezes often, for no reason I can think of.
    I usually have to switch the phone off completely, or sometimes even remove battery for a minute.
    Apart from reverting to factory settings, which causes a lot of hassletc, is there anything I can do when that happens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Ok so im recently after switching from Windows Phone to Android and have a few questions that id love to get some answers on, on if it is possible to do these things that I used to like about windows phone. Thanks id advance.

1) When I set my pin or pattern lock on my phone, is it possible to have it only show up after 15-30 mins of the phone being locked without unlocking, as its slightly irritating having to do the pattern every single time I unlock the phone, which can happen every minute or so during college hours.

2) Is it possible to show my birthday calender, which ive added to google calender, to show on the home screen under the time or whatever and change automatically.

3) On the native gmail app, whenever I load it, it always shows the "priority" inbox first and I have to keep switching back to regular inbox. Is it possible to have it show the regular inbox including priority emails also as standard.

4) On email topic, is it possible to merge both of my gmail accounts (and possibly my yahoo also) into one email client and not have to keep switching between the two unless I specify. Windows phone did this well, all emails from various domains merged together into one big inbox.

5) Is it possible to merge my contacts together with their skype, google +, facebook, twitter, phone number etc. details and have them all appear together when I click their name on the people/phone app?

6) Finally, whats the equivalent on Nokia maps for android, in that you can download complete maps of your country, and save them on your phones memory, and then use very little data when using it for driving directions with GPS.

Thanks.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    1) When I set my pin or pattern lock on my phone, is it possible to have it only show up after 15-30 mins of the phone being locked without unlocking, as its slightly irritating having to do the pattern every single time I unlock the phone, which can happen every minute or so during college hours.

2) Is it possible to show my birthday calender, which ive added to google calender, to show on the home screen under the time or whatever and change automatically.

3) On the native gmail app, whenever I load it, it always shows the "priority" inbox first and I have to keep switching back to regular inbox. Is it possible to have it show the regular inbox including priority emails also as standard.

4) On email topic, is it possible to merge both of my gmail accounts (and possibly my yahoo also) into one email client and not have to keep switching between the two unless I specify. Windows phone did this well, all emails from various domains merged together into one big inbox.

5) Is it possible to merge my contacts together with their skype, google +, facebook, twitter, phone number etc. details and have them all appear together when I click their name on the people/phone app?

6) Finally, whats the equivalent on Nokia maps for android, in that you can download complete maps of your country, and save them on your phones memory, and then use very little data when using it for driving directions with GPS.

1. You can. In Samsungs its Settings - Lock Screen - Lock Automatically. Might be *slightly* different on other brands. Mines 30 seconds but you can pick whatever time you like.

2. As in other peoples birthdays? If you go to your widgets there should be a calendar one there, they tend to be large enough though.

3. Settings, hit on the option for your account not general, then the first setting there lets you pick

4. I'd collect your other mails with your Gmail account then label them, then you can get them all in one no matter where you login.

5. contacts.google.com Make sure you dont set your contacts as phone contacts, you want them all to be google contacts so you can manage and merge, along with backups.

6. Google maps can cache maps. Dunno if it will do a full country but will certainly do the greater Dublin area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My mother has a Samsung Galaxy Express I think it is. Will 4.2 be coming to this? If so, I'd find it a little easier to explain some things to her.

I've just bought a Nexus 4, but only have it going about a week. Had it at around 60% this morning, made a few calls, sent a few texts, mobile data 3-4 times. Battery was down to about 12% before I got home. Pretty happy with that. But, it didn't seem to like my work email, or else Chrome didn't as I kept getting logged out, or session expired. It's webmail, not Gmail. Sometimes it can be a bit funny, even on a desktop. Worked fine on the first attempt - maybe it was my fingers. :pac: :p

Other questions, can you clear the cache of your apps (at once), or is there any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pokeraladin

If I hook my nexus 7 2013 with the slim port cable to my tv, will the sky go app mirror or is it blocked on android like it is with IOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Recommendations around the €200 mark? Thinking of getting a Galaxy S3 mini, looked at the Chinese options in the thread here but I think dealing with ROM issues would be a bit too much hassle. Phone would need to be sim free and preferably available from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Sp@rtacus

Thinking of upgrading Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830i running Gingerbread 2.3.6. to Jellybean 4.1.2. Any advice?? :)

Howrye folks,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830i running Gingerbread 2.3.6.

I have rooted it to obtain Superuser privileges and am considering upgrading the OS to Jellybean 4.1.2.

I wonder has anybody done this on the Galaxy Ace and, if so, what was the general feedback? From what I have been able to discern from information on the web, I believe that Samsung have not made Jellybean available for the Galaxy Ace 5830i and as such, its actually a spurious "AceJelly" OS that is available...? Is this true and if so, does does the AceJelly or JellyBlast OS work properly? Are there many bugs? In short, is it worth doing?

Im not very tech savvy, so to avoid bricking the phone Id like to make sure I understand exactly how to go about the procedure and that the new OS will be worth it in the end.

Any feedback would be great, thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was in the US before Christmas. Saw Play store vouchers in supermarkets. Was tempted to buy one, but figured it was best not to in case it wouldn't work...anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭adr1984

Need some info on using my htc phone as an internet connection using a USB 2.0 MALE TO MICRO USB MALE 5PIN DATA CHARGING CABLE connected to a 5 in 1 galaxy tab OTG connection when im on the road. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

adr1984 wrote: »
    Need some info on using my htc phone as an internet connection using a USB 2.0 MALE TO MICRO USB MALE 5PIN DATA CHARGING CABLE connected to a 5 in 1 galaxy tab OTG connection when im on the road. thanks

Because its a data cable doesn't mean you can use internet over it you would have to use your phones wireless hotspot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

I have just upgraded my S3 to an S5 and used Smart Switch to transfer call logs, SMS, photo's etc.

I now want to move my wife from her HTC Desire to my old S3.

Any advice on the best way to do this?

Thanks.

Advertisement