Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

kc66 wrote: »
    I just flashed Villain5.3. Installation completed and when I rebooted I got the HTC quietly brilliant screen, then the android waving, then it went back to the black HTC screen and is not progressing. Waiting over 10 mins now. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you use the recovery console to wipe the phone before installing the new rom?
    If it hasn't booted by now, try turning it off/pulling the battery, taking the sd card out and booting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Did you use the recovery console to wipe the phone before installing the new rom?
    If it hasn't booted by now, try turning it off/pulling the battery, taking the sd card out and booting again.

I used the recovery console. Was following this guide. The only thing I did not do was select the option "Wipe SD:ext partition". I was afraid this would delete the ROM from the card before I installed it.
    Tried booting it without the card but it is the same. I reinstalled the ROM also, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First boot can take more than 10 minutes (it will sit on the HTC logo for what seems like ages).
    How long did you give it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I would say I gave it around 15 minutes. I reinstalled again. Not 100% sure if I pressed home to confirm the wipes the first time.
    Thanks for the replies. Getting kinda worried now!

Edit: Actually seems ok now. Dont think I pressed home to confirm the wipes first time round.

VillainROM 5.4 has just been released. Apart from a bit of reskinning, they've added an OTA update app (so in future, you can update Villain from an application that comes with 5.4). Pretty cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Mr E wrote: »
    VillainROM 5.4 has just been released. Apart from a bit of reskinning, they've added an OTA update app (so in future, you can update Villain from an application that comes with 5.4). Pretty cool!

Looks good. Will update later tonight. Did you need to do a wipe before upgrading?

I haven't installed it yet, but if you're coming from another 5.x version, you can install without wiping. Just make sure you do your usual backup first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭quackisss

Just flashed villainROM from 5.2 to 5.4 without wiping, worked perfect and noticeably faster than the 5.2 for me. Has the Friend Stream app but doesn't seem to have the FS widget. New theme is really nice as well!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Just read a few pages of the 5.4 thread and lots of people seem to be having ussues with it and some people have no issues?

Just flashed 5.3 yesterday and im delighted with it so i might stay with it for a while..

One of the issues people are having is getting stuck after the sim unlock, screen, this happened me on a different rom too. Is there a fix?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Flashed 5.4. The new theme is disgusting but it does seem faster. Has anyone got Bluetooth File Transfer working with VillainRom? It's pretty much the only thing I feel is missing from 1.5, apart from a few of the nicer widgets, and I'm considering just going back to 1.5 again if no 2.1 rom can do it.

• Advertisement

The 5.3 UI is available as an update zip file on the villainrom forums.
    I don't use bluetooth file transfer, so I can't help there.... sorry.
    Maybe read the VR forums and see if its an issue?

The 5.3 UI is available as an update zip file on the villainrom forums.
    Didn't see that, cheers. EDIT: You don't happen to have a link do you? I'm probably just blind but I still can't see it. Sorry!
    I don't use bluetooth file transfer, so I can't help there.... sorry.
    Maybe read the VR forums and see if its an issue?
    I've had a quick look on XDA, I'll try there too. The threads get a bit unwieldly which is why I asked here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That's cool. Only installed 5.3 yesterday. Very happy with it so far. (Wish I'd made a list of my apps first though!)

Couple of quick issues/problems though:
    While I was still on the stock ROM/unrooted the phone process would crash occasionally (maybe 2/3 times a week) and would be back at the PIN entry screen. Was hoping a new ROM would solve the problem, but it happened again today. Would a radio update help? Am on Vodafone, but the reception here isn't great - usually only have GPRS, although it can jump up to HSPA briefly sometimes.

Has anyone got a cheaper alternative to Locale? Was using the beta until I switched ROM, but $9.99 and whatever for plugins is fairly pricy.

Breezer wrote: »
    Didn't see that, cheers. EDIT: You don't happen to have a link do you? I'm probably just blink but I still can't see it. Sorry!

From looking at the current 5.4 threads, people are being told to use the StockRosie download from the OP in this thread. Back up first, just in case.

While I was still on the stock ROM/unrooted the phone process would crash occasionally (maybe 2/3 times a week) and would be back at the PIN entry screen.

Your sim could be loose. Double check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Installed the OTA update and 5.4 with no wipe coming from 5.3 with no issues. I've been with this since 3.0 and its really developed into a great rom. I've a feeling this will be better than the real HTC 2.1 when it finally arrives.

From looking at the current 5.4 threads, people are being told to use the StockRosie download from the OP in this thread. Back up first, just in case.
    You're a legend. Still one or two inconsistencies but nothing to worry about. :D

They're planning OTA theme downloads when the last few bugs are ironed out of 5.4 (MMS, split texts etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

They're planning OTA theme downloads when the last few bugs are ironed out of 5.4 (MMS, split texts etc.)

Sounds good, I'm a sucker for the themes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Lot of talk about rooting which seems pretty understandable the way HTC are dragging on the update. Was going to wait but now I think not as who knows if it will get postponed again.

However, my main reason for rooting and installing a custom ROM would be for speed but it's not clear there is much to be gained. What do people think... much of a difference apparent in the various ROMs out there? And anyone recommend one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

OK i downloaded 5.4

followed some rooting advice, flashed, nandroid backuped, did the update

im now sitting on the "Sense - Villain ROM" with the hypnotic backround.

am i close?

EDIT
    That screen is gone and its now sitting on a screen, Block type background, a Black Rectangle lower of the screen with "No Service" the time and date on it, looks like the lock screen but swiping down doesnt do anything

on the top i see the notification bar with no reception, a blue battery (full) and the time

No buttons or swiping responding, should i just be really patient?

Sounds like something has gone wrong. Take out your SD card and reboot.

Did that just before you posted and im up

APN added and working my way around the ROM trying to get myself to a state of familiarity

Nice having 2.1 finally on my phone. Its feeling a bit sluggish at the moment. Will try reboot in a few mins again once ive set more of everything up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah finally got Villain after a few months waiting for HTC. Was some struggle, of course the one click root wouldn't work so I had to downgrade my phone by getting goldcard access on my phone which was to sum it up a pain. After the phone was rooted, it's pretty simple. ROMs on Android are a breeze to install. Villains really nice, but 5.4 was missing a few HTC widgets that I liked such as the time + weather one. Friends Stream doesn't work for me either, something about not being able to access the service at this time. I can't get mobile internet to work, is there some settings I have to change to get it to work? I'm on Meteor.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah finally got Villain after a few months waiting for HTC. Was some struggle, of course the one click root wouldn't work so I had to downgrade my phone by getting goldcard access on my phone which was to sum it up a pain. After the phone was rooted, it's pretty simple. ROMs on Android are a breeze to install. Villains really nice, but 5.4 was missing a few HTC widgets that I liked such as the time + weather one. Friends Stream doesn't work for me either, something about not being able to access the service at this time. I can't get mobile internet to work, is there some settings I have to change to get it to work? I'm on Meteor.

i didnt have to downgrade, i followed the root procedure of

Format my SD card (of course i copied its content first for safety)
    Reboot phone
    Place recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img and flashrec.apk on the card
    Use a file manager to install flashrec
    Open Flashrec after its installed
    Click Backup recovery image
    when thats done click into the white box type
    /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img
    Flash Custom Recovery Image
    Reboot holding down Home and Power

Options load up at boot. I chose backup/restore
    Nano Backup -> Let the nano backup complete
    Reboot the phone -> Mount SD -> copy off the nano backup
    Copy on the Villain.zip but rename to update.zip
    Reboot the phone holding Home and Power
    Choose the Wipe option. allow that to complete
    Then apply update.zip

Worked fine. Very few problems so far. Initially it wouldnt link with Facebook. but on the way home it started showing peoples pictures.

As for your mobile internet problem. You may need to create an APN
    found in
    Settings ->Wireless Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names ->
    Press Menu -> Add New APN

Then go to page 1 of this guide and it will contain links to meteor APN information where you can find what details to enter in there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

i didnt have to downgrade, i followed the root procedure of

Format my SD card (of course i copied its content first for safety)
    Reboot phone
    Place recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img and flashrec.apk on the card
    Use a file manager to install flashrec
    Open Flashrec after its installed
    Click Backup recovery image
    when thats done click into the white box type
    /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img
    Flash Custom Recovery Image
    Reboot holding down Home and Power

Options load up at boot. I chose backup/restore
    Nano Backup -> Let the nano backup complete
    Reboot the phone -> Mount SD -> copy off the nano backup
    Copy on the Villain.zip but rename to update.zip
    Reboot the phone holding Home and Power
    Choose the Wipe option. allow that to complete
    Then apply update.zip

Worked fine. Very few problems so far. Initially it wouldnt link with Facebook. but on the way home it started showing peoples pictures.

As for your mobile internet problem. You may need to create an APN
    found in
    Settings ->Wireless Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names ->
    Press Menu -> Add New APN

Then go to page 1 of this guide and it will contain links to meteor APN information where you can find what details to enter in there

Thanks, yeah that method didn't work on my version of android because HTC or Meteor blocked rooting, so I had to get goldcard access and then install an older ROM that would allow me to flash to get root access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Anyone else on Villain 5.3 having problems with vibrate notifications? Doesn't work for me at all, even though it is set. It does briefly vibrate as normal when I run out of feeds in NewsRob, and when I switch vibrate only mode on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey, has anyone had any problems with their SD card, a continious message saying sd card unexpectedly removed, unsafe sd card removal, etc etc. Been coming up contiously on my phine now for the past few days and I never removed it once! well, i did today after gettin the messages for the past 3 days! put it back in and the message popping up again???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Finally flashed Villain 5.4, liking it so far.

Now for my next trick I gotta install market enabler & update the radio! :D

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone had any problems with their SD card, a continious message saying sd card unexpectedly removed, unsafe sd card removal, etc etc. Been coming up contiously on my phine now for the past few days and I never removed it once! well, i did today after gettin the messages for the past 3 days! put it back in and the message popping up again???????????

The file system on the card might be damaged (or the card itself might be). Copy everything off it (onto your PC), and format it. See if that helps.

Advertisement