Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beckett Bridge

Options
  • 24-02-2010 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

What's the story with it? Drove over it about half 6 tonight not a bother, went to go back over it about 11 and it was closed off. No signs mentioning anything about it being closed earlier on. Anybody know what's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Closed for maintenance. Not sure how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Beckett bridge shut for safety checks
    The bridge is being shut between 8pm and 6am for the rest of the week, up until Sunday night/Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I wonder if this was a planned shutdown since the bridges conception looking for fatigue cracks, corrosion etc. or else something came to light?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Could it be that they've realised it's unsafe for cyclists?

some info here http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?p=103190

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

From www.dublincity.ie

Please note The Samuel Beckett Bridge will close nightly from 8pm to 6am until Monday 1st March.The closure is required to complete outstanding works on the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Could it be that they've realised it's unsafe for cyclists?

some info here http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?p=103190

I cycled over it for the first time today. I was on the cycle lane on Sir John Rogersons Quay heading towards the bridge. With about 30 metres before the bridge the lane becomes a footpath with no signage of the end of the lane and nowhere for the bike to go. How can an engineer get a job of designing a simple road layout and f*ck it up so badly?

Advertisement