Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A First-Timer's Running Log

• 24-02-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello folks. I decided around Christmas that I'd enter this year's Dublin City Marathon and so I did - on Christmas Day 2009, while cradling my engorged Christmas belly, I signed up for the DCM.

I've run on and off for a little bit but the furthest I've run is 5 miles so far. I don't have any great ambitions for the marathon, my goal is just to finish it, I have no time goals nor do I care if I have to walk some bits. My goal is to keep moving forward for 26.2 miles.

I bought a book to help me with my training - The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer. It seems to be pretty good so far.

The log is really for accountability. They say when you tell people you're going to do something you're more motivated to actually do it. So here I am telling all you people that I'm going to train for and finish the DCM this year.

In the book that I bought there is a preliminary training plan (before you start the marathon plan) for people who are not regularly running for 30 minutes. I can run for 30 minutes but I decided to complete the last stage of the preliminary plan just in case. This involves me running for 30 minutes, 4 days a week, for 2 weeks. I've just completed run #2 of week 1 so I'll include log entries for the first 2 runs below.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Goal: 30 minutes
    Achieved: 30:30
    RPE: 3-4 (First time using RPE so I'm not sure if I graded that right.)
    Comments: Very nice run! Ran at night for the first time and through town for the first time. Comfortable for most but one particular hill was tough. Good to know I can run at night, because I'm a bit of a night-owl anyway. Very enjoyable run, felt great afterwards!

Achieved: 31:57
    RPE: 4
    Comments: Another night-time run, this time it was raining too. Took a slightly different route this time. Enjoyable run, not too tough, except for a hill, which I managed anyway. Clipped the inside of my right ankle with my left heel a couple of times, just making a note of it here in case it becomes a problem. I forgot to limber up before I started running and my calves are feeling tight. Glad I have tomorrow off, even though I did enjoy it.

Next run is on Thursday, 25/02/10 - another 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs, and good luck with the training :)

Achieved: 30:21
    RPE: 3
    Comments: A bit of a boring run really - just an out-and-back to the garage up the road. Tried to liven it up a bit by turning off the track but ended up in what looked like a cul de sac and had to head back on to the main road. Still, it went well and I'm glad I managed to fit it in during a busy day. First time out in new Brooks Glycerin 8s too, they feel pretty good, a little more support than my old shoes but well cushioned while not being spongey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good luck with it, sounds like you've got the right attitude anyway

• Advertisement

Wouldn't normally comment on a rest day but just thought I'd take note of how much less stiff I am today than my last rest day on Wednesday. I think the difference is in how I was more careful to limber up before and stretch after my run.

Achieved: 30:21
    Comments:After Thursday's boring out-and-back I decided to go to a local park and run about with my girlfriend. Much more fun! An enjoyable run, nothing too hard. My right foot started to get pins and needles towards the end, which was a bit odd. Maybe my shoelaces were too tight. I'm still breaking in the new Glycerin 8s, maybe that was the reason for the pins and needles. Making a note of it here should help if the problem persists.

Achieved: 30:40
    Comments: The same route as run #2 last Tuesday. Started off running faster than last time and paid for it on the hill on the second part of the route. Everything else felt fine and I finished strong. Read a few reviews of the Glycerin 8s and a lot of people were having heel trouble, not me though, they feel fine and I think I'm getting used to them now.

Next run is Tuesday, 02/03/10.

Achieved 30:21
    RPE: 3-4
    Comments: Wow, what a run! I was actually feeling sick before I went out - heavy-headed and with the beginnings of a sore throat - but once I was running all that just went away and I felt great! I ran the same route as yesterday and did way better, even on the hill. Also I think I lost some sort of running-virginity when I was heckled from a car. Some woman shouted "I want your body"... I'm not sure how to take that really. :confused:

Achieved: 30:32
    Comments: Lovely run along a new route. The sun was out and it felt great to get away from work for a bit and squeeze in a run. Left leg has been feeling a bit funny after the last two runs but everything's fine really.

• Advertisement

Achieved: 30:06
    Comments: Easy run around the same route as Run #7 on Thursday. Nice weather for it. Ran it much faster this time while still finding it easy enough. I had to run around aimlessly after passing my gate just to make up the remainder of the prescribed 30 minutes (hence only being 6 seconds over the goal this time) because I completed the course quicker than expected.

This marks the end of my preliminary training. I've done two weeks of running continuously for 30 minutes, four days a week. I've never actually stuck to a running schedule so strictly before. I used to just sort of run when I felt inspired to and sit on my arse the rest of the time, but that sort of attitude will never get me across the finish line of the DCM.

On Monday I start the training plan for the marathon prescribed by the book I bought (The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer). I'll be setting my running goals in terms of distance then and not time. I'm looking forward to building up the miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Well done so far. It's a great feeling when you start running consistently isn't it? Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

best of luck with your running and training.you have got loads of time to prepare for your marathon and it will be lovely to look back on the log too see how much you have trained for it.best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with the training puck. Well done on your consistent running so far. How many weeks is that training programme? Might it be a little early to start training for Dublin?

Oh the programming is only 16 weeks I think so yeah I'm a bit early. :)
    I figure I can stretch out the middle a bit and it'll also give me plenty of time to make up for lost weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I found that having a plan really helps. If Im not following a plan I just have aimless runs and really dont achieve much. So I think its a great idea to follow one now. Last year I started off with Hal higdon Spring training at the end of March and then did his marathon training too. That was a 30 week training schedule in total. It gave me plenty of room to be able to cope missing runs here and there. Best of luck with it all. I look forward to following your progress

As soon as my gear comes out of the tumble dryer I'm off for the first run of the training plan. I'll post about it here afterwards.

... It's a bit nippy tonight. :o

Goal: 3 miles
    Achieved:2.77 miles (according to MapMyRun.com)
    Time: 27:38
    Comments: Grrr! I'm a bit miffed really, yesterday I checked the length of one of my favourite runs from the preliminary training that I figured was about 3 miles in length. When I checked the route on MapMyRun.com it said it was just over 3 miles so I was quite pleased and looked forward to running that route tonight as my 3-miler. I ran the route faster than before and was really pleased with how it went. Then I went to MapMyRun.com to just confirm the distance only now it tells me that it's only 2.77 miles. If I had known I needed to run a bit farther to make up the 3 miles I could have done it no problem, but now it's too late and I've missed my target. What's more is that I seem to be slower than I thought, but that doesn't bother me so much. I don't mind being slow I'm only competing against myself. But I do mind missing my target! Just when I thought I had done well too!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't know if mapmyrun is that accurate.
    I have a run home from work that it says is 4.5 miles. I usually get to the first mile marker in about 10 minutes and the second in about 8 minutes, and the second mile is uphill.

Goal: 4 miles
    Achieved: 4.1 miles
    Time: 43:54
    Comments: Ran a new route today. Traffic was a pain in some parts but that's partly due to the time of day. My right foot became almost completely numb at one point on the final part of the run but feeling came back before I finished. Ran a little more than the 4.1 mentioned above, just to make sure after last night's disappointment. Also forgot to stop my watch so the timing is off by a few seconds.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking that now that I'm tracking distance and not just time I could join in on the 1000-Mile Challenge thread. If I take the runs from the preliminary training that I don't quite know the distance of as each being 2.5 miles (they were more but I'm going to underestimate rather than overestimate) I'd have something like this:

Run #1: 2.5
    Run #2: 2.77
    Run #3: 2.5
    Run #4: 2.5
    Run #5: 2.77
    Run #6: 2.77
    Run #7: 2.5
    Run #8: 2.5
    Run #9: 2.77
    Run #10: 4.1

So that's: (2.5 x 5) + (2.77 x 4) + 4.1 = 27.68 miles so far. I could call it 27 to be square.

Does anyone know if this would be allowed?

Sure, I don't see why anyone would mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

go for it puck
    it's a fierce competitive challenge and gives an extra goal to think about on your runs
    great consistent running there too

what does rpe stand for? Is it something to do with perceived effort?

Yeah it stands for Rate of Perceived Effort. I'm not used to it at all to be honest and I'm not sure if I'm grading my runs correctly so it's really only useful to myself at the moment. The way I see it is a 3 is equivalent to a nice, reasonable level of exertion like running at a conversational pace. 4 is where it starts to get a bit more difficult, to the point where I'd have to shut up for a bit if I was having a chat with someone, but could still manage to periodically say something to keep the chat going.

Goal: 3 miles
    Achieved: 1.5 miles running (most of the rest walking)
    Time: 16:05
    RPE: 5
    Comments: Well today's running sucked! Thursday is my busiest day. It's always jam-packed. To fit my run in today I decided to get up early and go for a run then (an early morning run would be a first for me). Well I didn't sleep much at all last night for some reason and woke up exhausted so I decided I'd put my run off until the afternoon. After a busy day however I was still knackered and so put off the run until night time. I finally got home just before 11 and was wide awake and ready to go run. A little too ready I think. I overdid it from the start and the my right leg started to cramp up after about a mile. I think it was possibly because of my lack of rest and because my body was still tired even if I was mentally wide awake. I tried to tough it out for a while but in the end decided to stop and walk the rest so I didn't injure myself. I have a 5 mile run on Saturday and I need both legs for that. I think I made the right decision, but it still sucks not to have been able to complete my run.

Hello folks! I'm still running! I think I just got bored of my boring post formula. I'm still training for the DCM and still ahead of schedule. Something weird happened on my long run a couple of weeks ago: I ran 10 miles, more than I'd ever run before in my life. The weird thing is, it was easy! I was laughing to myself and it felt like I was gliding along the road. I hit this dream rhythm and my feet just clipped along underneath me while I smiled and enjoyed the weather and the scenery. I'm hooked as hooked can be on this running thing!

Anyway things aren't looking so good right now. I missed the next long run after my dreamy 10-miler, which was due to be 11 miles. So, I decided to repeat that week and run the 11-miler last week (yesterday to be precise). I ran it but it was a slog! I couldn't think straight for the last mile (I literally had trouble forming words in my head) and it was a tremendous effort to just put one foot in front of the other. I was determined to finish though. I figure in the marathon it's going to be very tempting to stop and the only thing that will keep me going is the thought that I put my foot down and made a decision to finish the damn marathon so I'm going to finish the damn marathon... dammit! That's what got me through the 11 miles yesterday - I decided I'd run 11 miles so I was going to run 11 miles (dammit!).

Aside from being knackered and having rubbery legs when I stopped I was fine. I did a little stretching, took the DART back home and went out bowling with friends. My knees were knackered at the but that was to be expected. On the walk home that night though, "knackered" turned into "sore" for for one of my knees. I tried to rest it up with a good night's sleep but its hard to get to sleep when you can't move your leg without pain.

Today I'm up and about but walking and especially getting up from sitting is painful. My inside right knee is stiff and sore. I think it's my IT band and I'm cursing myself for not stretching it more.

Now I'm aware of the rules regarding giving medical advice here, I'm not looking for medical advice. Right now I'm just trying to rest the leg and take it easy. I suppose what I'm looking for is encouragement from fellow runners, and I'm unapologetic about fishing for that encouragement because I know I need it. Momentum matters a lot for me, I know if I stop this running thing for a bit I'll find it hard to get back into it, because I can be quite lazy. So I may need a verbal kick up the arse from the ART-ists.

I'm hoping I wont have to miss too many days with this. Also, I do hereby solemnly promise, from this point on, to stretch my IT band out properly after runs.

I don't know how sore it is, but I'd give it a couple of days before worrying that you're injured. I'm often quite stiff and sore the day after a hard run, but fine after a day or two of rest. Maybe go out for a slow, easy run tomorrow and see how it feels, it could be fine. If it's still sore, then you could think about a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Hey Puck - well done on the training so far. Sounds like a hamstring problem, just try keeping it stretched and maybe try some ice on it. Might be worth a physio trip too - no harm in getting it checked out plus they might be able give you better tips on stretching.

Stick with it though, its an amazing feeling to cross the finish line!

Thanks guys! Things are still a stiff and sore today so I've had to miss my run, which has put me on a bit of a downer. I've applied deep freeze and walking seems to be a bit easier, although I haven't been walking much. Does it cost much to have a physio rub stuff like this out?

• Advertisement

Oh, another question folks: how far would a break of about a week set me back? Thanks.

Seems I was wrong about the IT Band being the cause of the trouble as that would affect the outside of the knee and not the inside... I think. I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news. I'm hopeful that I'm not seriously injured, just knackered.

Puck wrote: »
    Oh, another question folks: how far would a break of about a week set me back? Thanks.

I think you said in an earlier post that you were ahead of schedule? So you can take a week - better to be a little undertrained than to pick up an injury and blow the whole schedule.

Oh yeah I'm a good few weeks ahead of schedule. Just wondering if, when I do start back (say, next week), should I just pick up where I left off and try for a 12 mile LSR at the end of that week, or should I repeat last week and try for the 11 mile long run again?

Wait until next week and see how you feel :)

You should look ahead in your schedule too, make sure it's building properly to the marathon - you don't want your training to peak 6 weeks before the race...

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about my knee now, it doesn't feel all that bad. Some googling has lead me to believe it's a mild MCL strain; there's no visible swelling and it doesn't feel like it's about to buckle so I don't think it's that bad at all.

I'll take it easy for this week, although I am dying to get out there for a nice easy recovery run to flush out the legs, but since walking is still a bit tricky I'll have to wait. I checked my running plan for DCM again and it turns out that this week is the week I would have to start running and my long run would only be 5 miles. I'm actually about 6 weeks ahead of schedule so it wouldn't hurt me to keep the LSRs around 10 miles for a bit. The plan only goes up to 18 miles but I may throw in a 20 mile run when I get to that point (a long way off yet, I know) for fun.

My family think I've gone crazy. I'm inclined to agree, but this is the closest I can get to flying so :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Puck wrote: »
    I may throw in a 20 mile run when I get to that point (a long way off yet, I know) for fun.

glad you are enjoying it and looking forward to the long runs! your really getting into it... keep it up!

corked wrote: »
    glad you are enjoying it and looking forward to the long runs! your really getting into it... keep it up!
    Oh the long runs are the best! It's a great way to see the sites and two hours of listening to my breathing and the rhythm of my foot-strikes is certainly relaxing.

Haven't run since Saturday and it doesn't look like I'll be running again until Monday. My knees a bit better, doesn't really hurt unless I twist it. Like I said though, I'm more worried about losing momentum.

Went back running last night for a nice slow 4-miler. My knee had been feeling 100% during the day, even when I tried to contort it in ways that used to hurt. For the first 2 miles I had no trouble at all but after that my knee started chatting to me. Just little niggles but I knew whatever was wrong with it was still there.

After my run I stretched properly and iced the knee for about an hour. Going to bed I felt fine. Today it feels a little stiff but I'm walking around without any pain. I'm a bit depressed about this now. Worried I won't make the marathon. I have the Irish Runner 5-Miler on Saturday and to be honest I don't even know if I should run that. I don't suppose anyone knows a good physio in the Bray/Greystones area?

Woot! After some intensive icing and some anti-inflamatories after my last run I went out for a 5 mile run today and it went fine. No knee pain at all. I also changed the lacing on my running shoes. Before my 11-miler (the one that I ended up hurting my knee on) I changed my laces so that I used all 7 of the pairs of the eyelets instead of the usual 6. I figured it was one common element from my two bad runs (the 11-miler and Monday's 4-miler). Changing them back may have done nothing but it certainly didn't hurt. Roll on Saturday!

Advertisement