Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A First-Timer's Running Log

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Seems I was wrong about the IT Band being the cause of the trouble as that would affect the outside of the knee and not the inside... I think. I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news. I'm hopeful that I'm not seriously injured, just knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Puck wrote: »
    Oh, another question folks: how far would a break of about a week set me back? Thanks.

I think you said in an earlier post that you were ahead of schedule? So you can take a week - better to be a little undertrained than to pick up an injury and blow the whole schedule.

Oh yeah I'm a good few weeks ahead of schedule. Just wondering if, when I do start back (say, next week), should I just pick up where I left off and try for a 12 mile LSR at the end of that week, or should I repeat last week and try for the 11 mile long run again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wait until next week and see how you feel :)

You should look ahead in your schedule too, make sure it's building properly to the marathon - you don't want your training to peak 6 weeks before the race...

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about my knee now, it doesn't feel all that bad. Some googling has lead me to believe it's a mild MCL strain; there's no visible swelling and it doesn't feel like it's about to buckle so I don't think it's that bad at all.

I'll take it easy for this week, although I am dying to get out there for a nice easy recovery run to flush out the legs, but since walking is still a bit tricky I'll have to wait. I checked my running plan for DCM again and it turns out that this week is the week I would have to start running and my long run would only be 5 miles. I'm actually about 6 weeks ahead of schedule so it wouldn't hurt me to keep the LSRs around 10 miles for a bit. The plan only goes up to 18 miles but I may throw in a 20 mile run when I get to that point (a long way off yet, I know) for fun.

My family think I've gone crazy. I'm inclined to agree, but this is the closest I can get to flying so :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Puck wrote: »
    I may throw in a 20 mile run when I get to that point (a long way off yet, I know) for fun.

glad you are enjoying it and looking forward to the long runs! your really getting into it... keep it up!

corked wrote: »
    glad you are enjoying it and looking forward to the long runs! your really getting into it... keep it up!
    Oh the long runs are the best! It's a great way to see the sites and two hours of listening to my breathing and the rhythm of my foot-strikes is certainly relaxing.

Haven't run since Saturday and it doesn't look like I'll be running again until Monday. My knees a bit better, doesn't really hurt unless I twist it. Like I said though, I'm more worried about losing momentum.

Went back running last night for a nice slow 4-miler. My knee had been feeling 100% during the day, even when I tried to contort it in ways that used to hurt. For the first 2 miles I had no trouble at all but after that my knee started chatting to me. Just little niggles but I knew whatever was wrong with it was still there.

After my run I stretched properly and iced the knee for about an hour. Going to bed I felt fine. Today it feels a little stiff but I'm walking around without any pain. I'm a bit depressed about this now. Worried I won't make the marathon. I have the Irish Runner 5-Miler on Saturday and to be honest I don't even know if I should run that. I don't suppose anyone knows a good physio in the Bray/Greystones area?

Woot! After some intensive icing and some anti-inflamatories after my last run I went out for a 5 mile run today and it went fine. No knee pain at all. I also changed the lacing on my running shoes. Before my 11-miler (the one that I ended up hurting my knee on) I changed my laces so that I used all 7 of the pairs of the eyelets instead of the usual 6. I figured it was one common element from my two bad runs (the 11-miler and Monday's 4-miler). Changing them back may have done nothing but it certainly didn't hurt. Roll on Saturday!

Advertisement