Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowest paid premiership player??

• 24-02-2010 2:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

who is the lowest paid player in the premiership? I know Mido is on £1000 per week..Is he the lowest paid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah if he is genuinely on that then he is surely the lowest paid of anyone who would be classed as an established player

maybe a couple of fringe players or young players woulod be on less but not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A grand a week?!?! Jesus, I didn't even think a player in League One would be on that...

If he is on that, he'd DEFO be the lowest paid player.

Matt LeTissier was on like £3,000 a week... and that was in the late 90's!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

has to be paul mcshane. i wonder does he get paid with real money though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Didn't Mido say something along the lines of, his family were very rich and didn't need any more money.

has to be paul mcshane. i wonder does he get paid with real money though?

Hehehehehehehehehe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mido is being paid £1000 per week by west ham

middlesborough are paying the rest, since hes still their player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just had a read of this. An article back in 2007. It's funny to read back on it.

http://www.sportingo.com/football/a4207_terry-worth-his-huge-chelsea
    At the other end of the scale we sometimes discover players who are delusional of their abilities and demand obscene wages for their services. Exhibit A is current Tottenham striker Mido. Since turning professional in 1999 with Al-Zamalek, Mido has only played a total of 176 club matches and scored 65 goals. Having peaked during his time at Ajax (21 goals in 37 games) last season Mido recorded the unimpressive return of 5 in 25 matches. Coupled with recurring weight and attitude problems, Mido has since found himself fifth-choice striker at Spurs with little hope of breaking into the first team.

So how does Mido attempt to find new employment? By demanding wages of £70,000 a week. Thankfully such demands have been rejected by both Fulham and Birmingham City, who were both seeking the Egyptian’s signature. These decisions are especially noteworthy as the teams involved are both likely to be involved in the relegation dog-fight, where having a goalscorer in your team can be priceless.

Mido’s attitude leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth. Most of us would kill to be a footballer, let alone to be able to earn several thousand pounds a week. But instead of lowering his wage demands to let's say, a meagre £40,000 a week, Mido has decided to linger in the background at Spurs rather than choose to play first-team football in the Premiership.

Loving the Mido article now....

But still, who the hell is the lowest paid Premiership player? Like who would be on the first team squad at least and might get a game or two a season at least? Not reserves and so on, but actual first team players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DazMarz wrote: »
    Loving the Mido article now....

But still, who the hell is the lowest paid Premiership player? Like who would be on the first team squad at least and might get a game or two a season at least? Not reserves and so on, but actual first team players?

What makes you think someone here would have the salary information of every first team squad member in the league? We all have the same sources you do, i.e. Google, and not every player is John Arne Riise.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What makes you think someone here would have the salary information of every first team squad member in the league? We all have the same sources you do, i.e. Google, and not every player is John Arne Riise.

Meh, I dunno. I was just wondering if anyone might know. Was just wondering is all. Doesn't affect me either way really, tbh. Was just curious. But what did that do to the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The entire Portsmouth squad........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

McShane is paid in magic beans. Donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

CHD wrote: »

Would have thought he would be paid with monopoly money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd imagine it would definitely be one of the young breakthrough players for one of the newly promoted teams.
    I can't imagine anyone who made a transfer to a Premiership club would have expectations lower than €1000+.

I know when Daryl Murphy moved to England his wage was roughly 3.5k p/w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

McShane is paying to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jay O'shea would be a good shout i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Xavi6 wrote: »

Couldn't we say that about a lot of the questions on this forum? Sounded a bit bitchy in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jeez, relax on the McShane bandwagon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Helix wrote: »
    mido is being paid £1000 per week by west ham

middlesborough are paying the rest, since hes still their player

Actually, I don't think that's true. As far as I know he accepted the decrease until the end of the season with West Ham paying 100% of his wages at €1k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I would've thought someone from the Burnley team would be getting paid less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

How about guys like David Meyler at Sunderland, who are only just breaking into the first team and mightn't have secured that big contract yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It really depends on how we clarify what a premiership player is.
    Are we talking about players who are in the first team squad week in, week out or are we including players who have had token appearences and potentially aren't long out of their youth contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Michael Owen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Jay O'shea would be a good shout i'd say

He's on considerably more than that, he would have even been on considerably more than that had his proposed deal with Derby gone through last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

mike65 wrote: »
    Michael Owen?

I was thinking that too, but one week at full pay would probably be more than a full year for Mido.(reportedly) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

My cousin signed his first contract when his club where moving up in to the Championship,I think he was 18 and he got about 1k sterling a week,so I'd imagine any young player or fringe player in the Prem like Jay O Shea etc would be on 2 or 3 times that at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i think that burnleys top player is on £16,000 per week so one of those id say

and mido is only on £1,000, he said ite because his family are loaded and he doesnt need the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

mike65 wrote: »
    Michael Owen?

60K a week plus scoring bonuses so thats still 60k a week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

event wrote: »
    i think that burnleys top player is on £16,000 per week so one of those id say

Meaning that the ordinary first team player at Burnley is probably on approx 10K, maybe down to a minimum of 7 or 8K for fringe players. So we can deduce from that that any reasonably established prem league player can expect to earn 7-8K as a basic minimum.

Anyone earning less than that is probably a youngster just breaking through who hasn't landed that big contract yet, or a player moving up from a lower league club who has yet to prove himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

60K a week plus scoring bonuses so thats still 60k a week :D

He's on "pay as you play" no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Gillington wrote: »
    He's on "pay as you play" no?

i think i remember hearing he's on like something like 20,000 a week and then gets more if he plays..don't know how true that is but i remember reading that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

from what i can find out about Owen he gets 35k approx a week basic, and money for appearances and for goals, the appearance fee i believe is 4.5k and the goal one is similar, he also has assist bonus of around 2.5k

this is what i have been led to believe anyway

sounds quite plausible, basically is he plays and doesnt score or have an assist he gets 40k approx. not too far of the figures mentioned when he was signing, he can bump it up with goals and assists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Iago wrote: »
    Actually, I don't think that's true. As far as I know he accepted the decrease until the end of the season with West Ham paying 100% of his wages at €1k a week.

pretty sure he didnt tbh, afair the guy who negotiated it was on ssn and said boro would be still be paying a chunk of his wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

CHD wrote: »

Hes overpaid at that.

It has to be some young lad thats just breaking through. As a potential regular starter, probably Mido.

But the lad would argue with himself if he was left alone,.........or is he just misunderstood? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Harpy wrote: »
    i think i remember hearing he's on like something like 20,000 a week and then gets more if he plays..don't know how true that is but i remember reading that..

Yup I've heard similar, 20k basic per week potentially going to 120k per week but I'd imagine he'd have to have the best week any striker ever had to get all that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There are plenty of club reserve players who have played in the premiership this season who would be on <£1000 a week. They are still premiership players. Everton have a few of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kryogen wrote: »
    from what i can find out about Owen he gets 35k approx a week basic, and money for appearances and for goals, the appearance fee i believe is 4.5k and the goal one is similar, he also has assist bonus of around 2.5k

sounds quite plausible, basically is he plays and doesnt score or have an assist he gets 40k approx. not too far of the figures mentioned when he was signing, he can bump it up with goals and assists

Assist bonusses should be the same as goal bonusses to discourage the greedier of the playing staff potentially arseing up results in the pursuit of a couple of extra grand a week.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Or it encourages Arsenal to try pass it into the net, its easier to pass it to someone than it is to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Portsmouth players have been working for nothing some weeks this season.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Savman wrote: »
    Jeez, relax on the McShane bandwagon :rolleyes:

I agree, this whole anti McShane thing is just pathetic, it is pretty sad to be honest.
    Why is he so despised ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I agree, this whole anti McShane thing is just pathetic, it is pretty sad to be honest.
    Why is he so despised ?

He isn't 'despised' exactly. He just isn't good enough for international football and I think alot of people wonder how he keeps getting selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Why is he so despised ?
    because he's no gary breen.

Jordonvito wrote: »

we can only dream of such a team. of gary breens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Jordonvito wrote: »

Completely off topic but enough with the Gary Breen references. It wasn't funny in 2002 and its certainly not funny now

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

deisedude wrote: »
    Completely off topic but enough with the Gary Breen references. It wasn't funny in 2002 and its certainly not funny now

im just stating the fact that paul mcshane is not as good gary breen.

deisedude wrote: »

yeah it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I think the minimum salary in Spain is something like €100,000 P.A.

I remember someone scoring for Gíjon or someone like that against Barca and the comment being made that Henry made in a week 1 and a half times what he made in a year.

I'd say England's lowest paid squad player (i.e. not a reserve a kid) would be Mido's £1,000 a week brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

aidan24326 wrote: »
    He isn't 'despised' exactly. He just isn't good enough for international football and I think alot of people wonder how he keeps getting selected.

Well Ireland isn't exactly blessed with world class players so management can only select from a small pool of players.
    I might agree in some respects that he may not be the highest caliber of a defender but he seems to give it his all and try his best. He doesn't select himself so one would hardly expect him to turn down the opportunity to play for Ireland.
    The reality of the situation is that players like McShane, Breen and Kilbane are not totally useless because football is a business at the end of the day and they would not be getting payed to play premiership football if it was deemed they were not adding value to the team..

It is easy to be an armchair expert and give out such sweeping statements about how much a player should be paid from the comfort of your laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

kryogen wrote: »

I remember reading in the Daily Mail paper during January that Owen earns around £120K a-week excluding bonuses. But then again that's the daily mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I read somewhere a few months ago that Zavon Hines was being paid £400 per week, Collison and Stanislas weren't on much more, while they are youg all 3 are important first team players

• Advertisement
Advertisement