Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry Jacks = the McDonalds of Oz?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 7:40am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is Hungry Jacks basically an Australian type of McDonalds? Same type of food? Same standard?

I haven't been in to one and don't plan to as I'm assuming it will be dire. However, the TV ad last night got me wondering, as the ad seemed a bit more upmarket(?) than McDs.

The ad goes like this:
    • There is a couple sitting by a swimming pool
    • The fellow is eyeing up some other woman
    • His gf proceeds to knock the other one into the pool whilst munching on a burger....

Anyone got first had Hungry Jacks experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I thought it was burger king under a different name same logo and all. Its basically McDonalds some people think its nicer personally they are the same to me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hungry Jacks is Burger King.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's Burger King and I've had more first hand experiences than I care to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

never mind, didnt notice this was the Oz thread!
    *duuh* lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

McDonald's actually bought the copyright for the name Burger King in Australia so they had to choose an alternative name. Or so the word on the street goes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

There's some detail on good old wikipedia that goes into it.

Some little shop in Adelaide owned the name, then that copyright lapsed, then BK took HJ to court and BK started opening BK's, then HJ took BK to court & won... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hungry Jacks food is filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

BossArky wrote: »
    Anyone got first had Hungry Jacks experience?

What kazza said. It's the same as McDonalds really. Sh1tty sloppy messy tasteless burgers couples with cold crappy chips and coke from a post-mix machine. leaves your guts feeling like total crap for the rest of the day and you're hungry again after an hour.

Don't expect upmarket.

Good for hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I haven't been in to one and don't plan to as I'm assuming it will be dire. However, the TV ad last night got me wondering, as the ad seemed a bit more upmarket(?) than McDs.

Sure McD's are trying to be upmarket as well with the Angus burgers. As if the blood and guts of an Aberdeen Angus cow is superior to any other cow..........

bw wrote: »
    There's some detail on good old wikipedia that goes into it.

Some little shop in Adelaide owned the name, then that copyright lapsed, then BK took HJ to court and BK started opening BK's, then HJ took BK to court & won... etc

I never understood why BK went through so much hassle when they could have just bought the copyright (assuming the shopkeeper would sell). 'Hey, here's ten million dollars, change your name' 'Fair enough'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the info above folks.

Just to update - last night I went and met up with a fellow down around the Docklands that I haven't seen in almost 7 years. After two pints I was heading home by Southern Cross Station and feeling a bit peckish. With this tread fresh in my mind I went in to the Hungry Jacks there......

It was terrible :(

• Advertisement

In fairness, that's not the cleanest food court.

I have heard their new 'angry angus' burger described as "Vomit between two burger buns"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Hungry Jacks = Burger king
    Mc D = Mc D
    Hungry Jacks + McD = sick feeling in stomack
    Boards.ie thread = making me hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I prefer Macca's to HJ's, but every now and then i get HJ's (like once a month at most).

They do have the unlimited refills on the drinks though, not that you'd want any more after finishing a large one. nearly a litre!!

Doop wrote: »
    Hungry Jacks = Burger king
    Mc D = Mc D
    Hungry Jacks + McD = sick feeling in stomack
    Boards.ie thread = making me hungry

Are you 5 years old?

I have heard their new 'angry anus' burger described as "Vomit between two burger buns"

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

If your eating in Hungry Jacks look at the fries package on the back it says its part of the Burger King Co.

I miss the ol double bacon and cheese all the same..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I really don't know how either of those chains make any money in Australia when you can ussually get a really good Hamburger at the local Milk Bar. They are often not only cheaper but a lot more healthy with lean burger & lots of fresh salad. Ohhhh and you get grated carrot & beetroot on them.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I really don't know how either of those chains make any money in Australia when you can ussually get a really good Hamburger at the local Milk Bar. They are often not only cheaper but a lot more healthy with lean burger & lots of fresh salad. Ohhhh and you get grated carrot & beetroot on them.

Marketing. Also, carrot on a burger? Yuck!

Do Milk Bars exist outside of Melbourne?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

ballooba wrote: »
    Do Milk Bars exist outside of Melbourne?

Milk Bars, Corner Shops etc. I still call them Milk Bars as it what we called them in Sydney when I grew up.

Milk Bars, Corner Shops etc. I still call them Milk Bars as it what we called them in Sydney when I grew up.

Milk bars?? WTF

I wouldnt eat a burger out of 7/11 if you paid me.

The only Milk Bar I've ever been to that served food was in South Yarra. I didn't realise it was that common. Cheers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Last night the tram down Swanston street stopped outside a Hungry Jack's so I had time for the following thoughts:
    • Both "burger" and "hungry" have 6 letters.
    • Both "king" and "jack" have 4 letters.
    • Why didn't they call it "Hungry Jack" instead of "Hungry Jack's"? This would match exactly with the original name "Burger King".
    • Do you think they picked Jack as a random name (think "Hungry John's" / "Hungry Bobs" or because it is somewhat similar to "King"? i.e think of a deck of cards --> 9, 10, jack, queen, king?

Ok, I'm out of detailed analysis :pac:
    you can ussually get a really good Hamburger at the local Milk Bar

Cheers. I'll check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

In fairness, I wouldnt eat much out of any of the milk bars ive been into... unless well packaged.

Maybe im going into the wrong ones... but my general impression... is not particularly clear, overpriced convienance, and a fair bit of attitude from the owner/worker.

Saying that plenty of cool little corner cafes that do great food, at good prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    McDonald's actually bought the copyright for the name Burger King in Australia so they had to choose an alternative name. Or so the word on the street goes anyway.
    Nah, not McDs

[*]Do you think they picked Jack as a random name (think "Hungry John's" / "Hungry Bobs" or because it is somewhat similar to "King"? i.e think of a deck of cards --> 9, 10, jack, queen, king?

The australian franchise is owned by a guy whose name is Jack. So he picked his name.
    He also owns KFC and dominios,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ChemicalCobra

Yah it's defo Burger King. I was there a couple of years ago and the food came with Burger King napkins like we have here! The name Burger King was already copyrighted in Australia so they chose Hungry Jacks instead. The food is the same as it is in other Burger Kings in Europe etc... basically not great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Never seen these but the big yank chains are usually the only place you can get a reasonable burger. Most burgers from independent places are beyond tasteless. Miss my old Italian chipper burgers so much here.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Never seen these but the big yank chains are usually the only place you can get a reasonable burger. Most burgers from independent places are beyond tasteless. Miss my old Italian chipper burgers so much here.

Here here, I miss the Roma!!!

• Advertisement

Lads, im telling you, when I went home in 2008 I went down the chipper and got all the things i missed. Scallops, Onion rings, chips in a bag with plenty of salt and vinegar.............It did nothing for me. I wondered why I had made the fuss.

And the 'Chinese food' in Ireland turned my stomach, no veggies but instead chicken in different shades of brown and yellow sauce under a centimeter of oil.

Blugh

Advertisement