Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning AI Changes to Plans

Options
  • 24-02-2010 8:05am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have been asked by local authority for Additional Information on a planning application for a house (dormer bungalow).

The AI request consists only of changes to elevations and roof - namely, they want a small reduction in ridge height, the addition of a hip to the roof, the relocation of roof lights and to change style of proposed dormers. The LA want revsied drawings/elevations showing same. There is no request to change plans.

Now, that's all fine, to a point (a bit frustrating!), but the clinet then said to me, oh, while we are at, can I extend the ground floor a bit! Have not had this situation before.

Is there any implications when going back to the LA with requested revisions and telling them we are also proposing othere revisions as well, i.e. to the plan (it's only a small amount)? When I say implications, might they request re-advertising for significant further information?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

As it is, the Planning authority could ask you to re-advertise based on the changes they requested. Some planning authorities are practical in their approach, and would be ok in not requiring the revisions to be advertised, other almost require you to re-advertise no matter what further information is requested/received. Talk to the planner involved and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

General Rule: If there are submissions/observations on the file then any changes will need to be re-advertised.

Also if there is a change in floor area the fees/charges/contributions also change.

If the planners ask for design changes to the proposed development I make it a point of informing them that the LA and the relevant planner are then considered part of the design team under the Safety and Health Legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

In my experience talking to the planner is the best route . I would speak to him/her to "confirm" what is required and in doing so make at most a passing reference to the client requested changes .

Then follow up with an informal issue of revised drawings and covering letter where you can address matters like revised area , fees , re advertising etc before the formal AI response .

I wouldn't personally wind up a planner re H+S Poor Uncle Tom , tempting as that is :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

General Rule: If there are submissions/observations on the file then any changes will need to be re-advertised.

Yes, there are a lot submissions/observations on the file! There seems to be a ring leader who canvassed 'observations'. Given that the request for AI appears to me bending over backwards to the objections, my worry is if we/the client also propose changes, given the amount of observations, the Council may feel obliged to ask for it to be re-advertised.

At the moment, I can get away with just submitting revised elevations. If there are plan changes, I also have to submit revised plans, site plans, drainage layouts, etc., etc., as the footprint will change - that work is also in the back of my mind!

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If the planners ask for design changes to the proposed development I make it a point of informing them that the LA and the relevant planner are then considered part of the design team under the Safety and Health Legislation.

Good one tom please take a picture of a planner the next time you tell them that, it should be funny!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No6 wrote: »
    Good one tom please take a picture of a planner the next time you tell them that, it should be funny!!!:D
    I have done it, after I did the PSDP course last year...:D

I got the nasty letter back saying "making alterations to a design to accommodate aestethic enhancement in no way alievates the responsibility of the initial designer under Safety and Health, or any other legislation"

so I countered with....

I am aware of my responsibilities as designer under the Safety and Health legislation, I am merely making you aware of your responsibilities under the same legislation because of your interference in the design process.

I got no response to the last letter....:)

Advertisement