Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wossy trying Project Natal

• 24-02-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,023 ✭✭✭✭

He had this to say on his Twitter:
    OK. Before bed. Natal on X Box impressive. Not quite there yet i think but tye have til october and if they get it right...skys the limit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

looks like he nearly broke it at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I just don't undyerstand that game. I don't like getting 5 balls thrown at me per second in real life, why would i enjoy it on a console?

Bring out some sort of strategy game like Total War for Natal though where you can basically use the screen like a interactive map an i'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,023 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I just don't undyerstand that game. I don't like getting 5 balls thrown at me per second in real life, why would i enjoy it on a console?
    It's a demo game primarily for testing purposes I would imagine.

When they were developing the Xbox, I don't think they banging away on Bioshock or Call of Duty! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Bring out some sort of strategy game like Total War for Natal though where you can basically use the screen like a interactive map an i'm in!

And how many games that you play are a fair representation of what you do in real life?

Agreed though, using a great big screen kinda like in Minority Report would be amazing for RTS. I'm not sold on this really as I'd imagine there are alot of homes that aren't kitted out for the whole family to be standing up in a line in front of the telly in their living room. Plus the Wii taught me that while Tiger Woods Golf is fun, it becomes less so standing in your room for 18 virtual holes, ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

djkeogh wrote: »
    Agreed though, using a great big screen kinda like in Minority Report would be amazing for RTS.

That is exactly where I can see this being a big hit. PC gamers have a mouse and dedicated RTS mouse on the market for their more complex RTS games. This would allow consoles RTS games to come back on par instead of having to go with simplified options and removing the diversity from the game like current RTS games are doing and these are being fed back to the PC.:eek:

Also for complicated menu systems in RPGs like WoW, Morrowind . Minority Report style and maybe a bit of 3D in the future where you interact with a virtual object that appears out off the screen in front of you as a menu system.

Far more effective than simulating holding a gun, steering wheel or what ever. A golf club or bowling, yeah, anything else just does not seem to work so well.

Only problem i can see with the whole using Natal as a RTS tool is the perspective, you may move your hands in a way to select a specific group of people but natal interprets it as the group of people beside the one you want!

Only problem i can see with the whole using Natal as a RTS tool is the perspective, you may move your hands in a way to select a specific group of people but natal interprets it as the group of people beside the one you want!

Use your hand to manipulate a curser on screen like a mouse. You could point with your finger for fine selection, it the follows where your hand goes. Say you want a group selection you could maybe open your hand and the curser on screen opens into a box, you move the box around by moving your open hand. To select whats highlighted could be done by closing your hand into a fist to grab units. It could all work very well with a bit of thought.

One hand could be used for unit selection and other hand might control the camera and mini map views. All this could be combined with voice commands like End War but put to alot better use.

Oh god... The possibilities...

If RUSE was to implement this, it would be awesome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That would be brilliant imagine sitting down with 3D glasses controlling floating pages and selecting units just using your hands. Cant be any more flustrating than using a controller.

End War would be class you are really in amoung the action and using the headset as well to order units around.

Pitty my games room is too small for a Wii to work i dont think ill fit Natal in here too.

But what does look weird on the demo is that it will be hard to judge where the ball is as you control the guy on screen. When your natural reaction would be to expect the ball to come closer to you in real life.

• Advertisement

My dream for the future of gaming: Remember the scene from Iron Man when he is designing and making his suit in his lab, to have something even a tap like that would be amazing.

But what does look weird on the demo is that it will be hard to judge where the ball is as you control the guy on screen. When your natural reaction would be to expect the ball to come closer to you in real life.

Ever see the vid on youtube of the guy with his experimental Wii settup. He has created a sort of virtual 3D through movement. He has a basic program set up with different targets at different distances and you are able to move around them. They seem to pop out from the screen.

Instead of the normal set up. He has the Wii mote mounted above the screen and he holds the sensor bar and another Wii mote, the effect is amazing. It's similar to how the Track IR system works on the PC, I can't play flight sims without it anymore, it's like an extra limb.
    It might be a bit late for Natal to feature this but maybe not because it was impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'd like to see an FPS on it for teh lulz. :pac:

I agree that this is perfect for RTS games but other than that I think it'll mainly be used for "family friendly" games.

Jako8 wrote: »
    I'd like to see an FPS on it for teh lulz. :pac:

If they do it right it could be great. Have a look on youtube for ARMA and ARMA2 with someone using Track IR. You can look around regardless of where your gun is actually pointing. You can lean around a wall or door at the exact position you need. I find that better than it simulating a gun in your hand like the Wii does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dark_by_Dezign

yeah but do you like getting bullets shot at you in real life? no .. so why do people play call of duty same thing

I rest my case :cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I thought this was wussy trying Natal...I was expecting a good laugh.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ik+ in my house, im sold :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd like to see how exact it is. Put out a virtual piano or guitar on the TV and move your fingers and see if it hits different notes.

The sky's the limit but I just don't see it being that accurate. I hope it is awesome though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mark92

haha good ol wossy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I can see me buying this but not actually playing it ever.
    Mate came up with a great idea, its never going to be used for hardcore gamers it'd be pointless ...... but if they integrated it with some game features it'd be cool.

imagine COD per usual with the controller BUT you've to mount a turret then bam... drop the controller after the on screen prompt and assume the imaginary grips of a mini gun! After the wave of bad guys are down back to the regular controller.

In a convoy.... enemy ambush and in the cut scene the door on the truck is jammed shut.... quick time even to elbow the door open would be great fun.

Just cant see full natal games being anything other than wii shovelware c**p.
    if i wanted a wii i'd buy one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement