Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The week ahead ( Snow predictions & general outlook)

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭

Seems like a good time to start a new thread. For better or for worse yesterday's event is now over. I have deliberately put a question mark in the title because I am all ears as to what the better informed on here think will happen......

In fairness, the amateur meteorologists on here did spectacularly well with their predictions for most of us yesterday - as did Evelyn Cusack!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's uncertain but right now id say Friday or Saturday night is the next chance for widespread snow again. But like I say it's uncertain. Id expect snow inland on Friday definately and on higher ground.

fax72s.gif

See what others think but it looks favourable to me for snow at low levels.

Very favourable in fact.

UW72-594.GIF?24-06

UW72-7.GIF?24-06

P.S there could be snow in midlland areas tonight for a time in the early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Friday is going to be SNOMAGEDDON...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Saganist wrote: »

I don't think so, not down here, today it's so mild it feels like spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I doubt it, but I like your positivity. ;)

For me I always see the snowman as half melted, as opposed to half frozen, if you know what I mean....

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Run for the hills!.....quite literally.

I doubt this will happen but if you wish hard enough...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I doubt it, but I like your positivity. ;)

For me I always see the snowman as half melted, as opposed to half frozen, if you know what I mean....

I know what you mean, just have a feelin that this weekend is going to be an absolute whiteout... If you know what I mean.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Vudgie wrote: »
    Run for the hills!.....quite literally.

I doubt this will happen but if you wish hard enough...............

If the hills are high enough you might get some wet sleet . . .otherwise it'll be just rain. I've had too many disappointments this winter to get my hopes up for snow this weekend. Every week that passes makes it more unlikely that we will get any sticking snow, and any suitable temperatures.

It would be nice, but it would also be nice to know if this winter was over and spring could start rolling in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

If the hills are high enough you might get some wet sleet . . .otherwise it'll be just rain. I've had too many disappointments this winter to get my hopes up for snow this weekend. Every week that passes makes it more unlikely that we will get any sticking snow, and any suitable temperatures.

It would be nice, but it would also be nice to know if this winter was over and spring could start rolling in.

Yeah i think we get the message from your posts there in the 3 threads,no need to harp.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just to let you know that Friday into Saturday is going to be snowmageddon.

Why? As i will be leaving the country:eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Just to let you know that Friday into Saturday is going to be snowmageddon.

Why? As i will be leaving the country:eek::o

If you're wrong weathercheck - you won't be getting back in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Then again if you're right you might not be able to get back in - either way pack a big suitcase. ;)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Then again if you're right you might not be able to get back in - either way pack a big suitcase. ;)

Hey, i almost want to be wrong:D:D

I want the snowstorm to hit Friday 6am!

I must admit im quite confused right now.

Why are the showers moving South to North while the winds are from the North......

Appears to be a small low centre over Dublin.

Tiz a balmy 8 degrees here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Why are the showers moving South to North while the winds are from the North......

Yes, strange indeed. Have been having heaving showers all morning here in Dalkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Pure rotten rain in Dublin alright !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Roll on spring i've had enough of the cold now.

never!:pac: bring on some more sneachta- even if it doesn't stick. we have plenty of time for warmer weather from April onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The UKMO chart that DM2 posted shows a front within the boundaries of sub 528dam air. The winds are brisk in off the Irish Sea meaning that convection will become embedded within the front.

If this situation continues to show on the charts at 24 to 36 hours out, I would be putting out a weather warning for serious snowfall in over the whole state. Worst affected areas would be S Louth, Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Carlow, E Tipperary, Wicklow and N Wexford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Danno wrote: »
    The UKMO chart that DM2 posted shows a front within the boundaries of sub 528dam air. The winds are brisk in off the Irish Sea meaning that convection will become embedded within the front.

If this situation continues to show on the charts at 24 to 36 hours out, I would be putting out a weather warning for serious snowfall in over the whole state. Worst affected areas would be S Louth, Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Carlow, E Tipperary, Wicklow and N Wexford.

Stop it with that dirty talk !:D:D:D:D

Actually no dont !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Indeed Danno,and thats why i wrote about friday possibly being the dark horse in MT's daily forecast thread.

Could be more friday night in saturday,however its all still very sketchy and perhaps more a northern half event.Worth keeping on eye on as conditions could become very favourable for some areas as regards a dumping of be it rain/snow however the cover of darkness would be a big plus.

A few more runs to study yet before the details become more clearer.

Promising to say the least.

• Advertisement

Saturday, if anything, looks even better then Friday but overall there could be continuos sleet and snow Friday night and Saturday over much of the country.

fax84s.gif

Depends on how much energy is left in that front.It is the tail end of it's trail.
    Warm air meeting cold should pep it up goodo but the fly in the ointment is rising pressure from the northwest.

Depends on how much energy is left in that front.It is the tail end of it's trail.
    Warm air meeting cold should pep it up goodo but the fly in the ointment is rising pressure from the northwest.

Looks pretty active on the precipitation charts. We are going to need a helping hand from heavy precipitation if there is to be the remotest chance of anything settling but I think most areas can expect to see snow falling at the very least.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Looks pretty active on the precipitation charts. We are going to need a helping hand from heavy precipitation if there is to be the remotest chance of anything settling but I think most areas can expect to see snow falling at the very least.

DM2, you have this uncanny ability to get me excited even when I think all hope is lost !!! :pac:

Don't got stalking me or anything:P

darkman2 wrote: »
    Don't got stalking me or anything:P

LOL !!! :pac:

I don't have time for stalking... unless its stalking random flakes floating past lamposts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

higher ground could get some snow early tomorrow morning and nobody is talking about it!:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

tinners wrote: »
    DM2, you have this uncanny ability to get me excited even when I think all hope is lost !!! :pac:

Here now !! after your blasphemy in another thread dont forget your bared from all wintry activities , no need to be getting excited now is there ?:p:pac::p

I have a terrible feeling there is actually going to be a large snow event, Friday into Saturday, the ingredients are there, cold air pushing south, heavy precip in situ.

Also a chance of something tonight in the southeast Midlands.

10022506_2412.gif

• Advertisement

Some serious snow totals could be on the ground by midday Saturday :eek::(

Advertisement