Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The week ahead ( Snow predictions & general outlook)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I have a terrible feeling there is actually going to be a large snow event, Friday into Saturday, the ingredients are there, cold air pushing south, heavy precip in situ.

Also a chance of something tonight in the southeast Midlands.

10022506_2412.gif

Them charts also show a little teaser but if they deliver thats another issue all together .

I would love it , if something did come off .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So, when else during this winter has Dublin been 7c colder than London and having potential snowfall.

Yes Saturday morning while im in London :D:D:o

Rtavn7217.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Here now !! after your blasphemy in another thread dont forget your bared from all wintry activities , no need to be getting excited now is there ?:p:pac::p

Hey I'm big enough to backtrack entirely ! :pac:

See you at Toughers !! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

So, when else during this winter has Dublin been 7c colder than London and having potential snowfall.

coamps-2-54.png?24-16

coamps-1-54.png?24-16

lol! You should go away more often.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Interesting charts for the next few days. Could be another snow event in there for lots of people.

Snow has mostly melted here from yesterday, there has been an awful messy thaw going on all day with temps here up to 8.9c. ATM its 6.1c

We've had about 5 or 6 snow events now this winter. In fact, since the middle of December, I think we've had more snow than rain!!

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Everytime I come into this forum I get excited about snow...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

darkman2 wrote: »

coamps-1-54.png?24-16

lol! You should go away more often.:D

A big dirty -8 over Ireland , this has to be the one for us ! plenty of precip about also.

106096.png

O be the mother of the Divine I am getting fierce excited

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Rtavn7217.png

Sounds like someone has got tickets for the rugby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

bugger, travelling to dublin Friday, early am on plane, back in west about 8pm, what are my chances or should i get train?? many thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I agree that Friday through Saturday could well be interesting in terms of sleet/snowfall potential. However, the latest Guidance would seem to indicate the core of any precipitation being located from the midlands Northwards, so that's something to keep in mind. It's not a certainty by any means - but that's the way it's looking at the moment.

Going forward, it appears highly likely now that the vigirous depression that will skirt with the North/Northwestern part of the Iberian peninsula will pass to our Southeast and move across the southern UK - keeping us on the ''cold'' side of the depression.

What I find most interesting is that the signal for a pressure rise to the NNE/NE is now coming into sight at T+120 - T+144. The evolution could turn rather interesting towards Day 5/Day 6/Day 7 onwards with a Southerly/Southeasterly backing Easterly flow.

This may be a disappointment as per earlier this month with a relatively stable HP in place just to our North, but there is an outside chance of a final potent Easterly flow developing into early March.

If nothing else, I think the marked decrease in cyclonic Southwesterlies is a major achievement. There were signs of this change last winter but it has really come to the fore in the past few months & is something to watch closely as we head into March.

SA :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

bugger, travelling to dublin Friday, early am on plane, back in west about 8pm, what are my chances or should i get train?? many thanks:)

Going by how unlucky Ireland has been with forecasts not panning out as hoped i reckon you could probably go west by hot air balloon and be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Going by how unlucky Ireland has been with forecasts not panning out as hoped i reckon you could probably go west by hot air balloon and be grand.

Lol:) while drinking champagne!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Incredible rain all day in Dublin's CC all day today. Appears to have only stopped now...relatively mild now too. Surface water all but gone in the CC now indicating the high temps. All lined up for a frosty night now the wind has died down completely.

I have my doubts about this weekend and while I think there may be some isolated flurries I don't think we are going to get anything too significant. Yesterday was an optimum scenario and it let us down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

feels so mild now, mildest its felt since mid December. Most of Europe has warmed up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Vudgie wrote: »
    Yesterday was an optimum scenario and it let us down.
    That was never said.

Dublin was alway on the wrong side of marginal.

And the rest happened fairly much as thought.

I think you were expecting too much and not looking at the bigger picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

On a percentage scale how lightly is this snow event ?

After yesterdays fiasco I really can't get my hopes up. Not a drip of snow and today has been the most boring weather day of this year.

irish1967 wrote: »
    On a percentage scale how lightly is this snow event ?

After yesterdays fiasco I really can't get my hopes up. Not a drip of snow and today has been the most boring weather day of this year.

At the moment at a rough guess i'd say around 40% but the whole thing could evaporate with the next few runs so if trends holds well then the % will rise

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

lovely - I have to drive my parents to Portlaoise on Saturday for Mams birthday. Leaving Bray 1pm saturday - What sort of a drive is in store for me?? I have a stupid poxy eps thing in the car which means it just wont move past 20km once it detects snow/ice.

really dont need a drama with dad ( cranky OLD fart !) summoning me to pull over so he can drive ( MY CAR !!!) - Whatever about driving in it on my own but christ him beside me - slit my wrists be the better option !!

& I hate when WC says he has a terrible feeling..., Hes always bang on !!

Whats the chances of it not snowing ?????

I wouldn't worry too much,the potential will probably disappear.Check back tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

redsunset wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much,the potential will probably disappear.Check back tomorrow night

lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

going to donegal friday for the weekend, via midlands and sligo to donegal. what are the chances of snow in each direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

dbyrne wrote: »
    going to donegal friday for the weekend, via midlands and sligo to donegal. what are the chances of snow in each direction.

thats weird i was just going to ask the same question for snow in donegal as im going up too . . .hope theres none there though and loads at home . . .:D

Ummmm.

Look out your window during the early AM tomorrow.

Suggestion of a little snow coming into south Leinster spreading northeast.

10022506_2418.gif

snowriskk.jpg

You can see the feature developing on the radar loop.

And temperatures falling around the country.

Web_radar.gif

(COPYRIGHT MET EIREANN)

DO NOT QUOTE

Ummmm.

Look out your window during the early AM tomorrow.

Suggestion of a little snow coming into south Leinster spreading northeast.

My father is very cynical and doesnt trust the word ''risk'' unless he gets a percentage . . .and he wants to know if hes to expect snow??? any idea of a risk percentage or will i just make one up???

He should have worked in insurance, risk assessor . . .:D

not sure why he wants to know . . .

I can just make one up though ;)

My father is very cynical and doesnt trust the word ''risk'' unless he gets a percentage . . .and he wants to know if hes to expect snow??? any idea of a risk percentage or will i just make one up???

He should have worked in insurance, risk assessor . . .:D

not sure why he wants to know . . .

I can just make one up though ;)
    Wait and see.

If i was to stick my neck out, 60% falling snow, 40% lying snow.

This for the souteastern mids

Wait and see.

If i was to stick my neck out, 60% falling snow, 40% lying snow.

This for the souteastern mids

Thanks, i'll let you know what happens.

Hope its more on the 4cm side than the 1cm side . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

so there will be a chance of snow overnight, that could be fun if it stays in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thats Laois country then WC?

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Thats Laois country then WC?

Will your temp drop in time?

Will the precip hold some intensity.

Your stats need a 1c knocked off them!

Temperature: 1.7°C Dewpoint: 1.2°C

Advertisement