Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reducing size of PDF file

• 24-02-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I am currently creating a brochure type document using MS Publisher which is about 25MB in size. I need to email this document, so it needs to be in PDF or similar format. When i save it as a PDF file, the file size reduces down to 13MB. However this is still too big to email out.

Does anyone have tips on how I can reduce the size of the file down to approx 4MB?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Use something like WinZip or WinRar and that will let you send it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Use something like WinZip or WinRar and that will let you send it out.

Have tried WinZip, but the file only reduced from 12.51 to 12.13MB - very surprised with this small reduction to say the least!

can anyone else shed some light on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Publisher files make ridiculous PDFs, do you have a lot of shadings, backgrounds etc?

For large files use www.yousendit.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Try WinRAR, I've always preferred it to WinZip. It'll also allow you to break the file into pieces, say two, and email them separately.

Another option would be to look at the document itself and see what's causing it to be that size. Is it full of high qualiy graphics?

Here's another option: Upload it somewhere and then simply email a link to download. Less strain on everyone's email.

Beaten to it by Justin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If you send someone a 25Mb file all zipped up you will not be propular. Half the people you send it to wont know what a zip file is. Most company filters block out large emails so thats another chunk gone. I would advise starting again with a small word document and creating a PDF from that.

• Advertisement

Guys

Thanks for the posts. I am creating a company brochure which needs to look good with plenty of photos, shadings etc. I have tried MS Word, but it doesn't come close to Publisher when you want to create something slick like a brochure.

The yousendit option is good, but it would be preferable to email an attachment.

Any other tips?

Try Scribus, it's free and easier to use than MS apps and will output a decent PDF without any fuss. http://www.scribus.net/

Is this brochure to email to customers or potential customers? Maybe hosting it on the company site and providing a download link might be better?

Yousendit is great for sending to printers etc. but not for distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Upload it to Rapidshare and send and send them the link. Simples.

Hagar wrote: »
    Upload it to Rapidshare and send and send them the link. Simples.

Not very professional, you can't expect customers to watch a counter waiting for their download ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Oops I forgot about the counter, you don't see it when you have an account.

• Advertisement

guys

I have dug a bit deeper into MS Publisher and have found that I can reduce the quality before PDF-ing, which reduces the size down to 3.8MB. Some of the colour text changes to black, but in general it looks the part.

I should have done my own research before bothering you guys, but thanks for your help all the same!

cheers

Advertisement