Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 internet bill 800 euro for 2 months

Options
  • 24-02-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I got the 10 Euro a month student package from o2 with a 3gb usage limit. I did watch a few films through streaming and youtube, etc, but 800 euro for 2 months. that is completely ridiculous!!

after reading through all the t&c's I know now that I will probably never see my money again as they have certainly covered their corporate asses! but I think it should be brought to people's attention that o2's practice is completely misleading and they are ripping off their customers left right and centre. all this from 'a company you can trust'

after searching about this on the internet I have found scores of people that the same thing has happened to so you cannot really say it is the fault of the people. I haven't heard of any other internet provider ripping off their customers like this. this type of billing can really do damage to people in an already struggling economy. I talked to one girl who had got billed over 1000 euro for a month and was really struggling to pay it off. she shouldn't have to!

In fact I discussed this with a friend of mine who has ntl internet and she said that her house went over their usage limit of 40gb last month, they actually doubled their usage to 95gb. so did ntl send them an extortionatly priced bill??? no! they fairly and justly moved them up to the next package so they only get billed an extra 10 a month.

I think i'll be moving to ntl or another internet provider that you can trust. and I would advise anyone not to enter into an internet agreement with o2. we can't let them get away with this.

by the way, i posted this on the o2 forum and 5 minutes later it was removed. so i posted it again and 5 mins later i was banned!! it said reason unspecified, when ban will be removed-never.
    are we living in a communist state? seems like o2 thinks so anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

so you signed up for a 3gb data limit for a month and used much more than that, then O2 invoiced you for the excess data at the rates agreed in the contract?

Where is this communist pressure coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

In what respect is it misleading? Their charges are outlined, their terms are there in black and white, and you read and agreed to them.

I agree the charges are extortionate, but you agreed to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Did you go over the limit?

If so, expect to pay.

End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi seafield,

In what way did the treatment you suffered deviate from the terms and conditions? If the t&c's specified that you could use any amount of bandwidth without repercussions then it would look like you were treated badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fc2060

You must have watched a lot of videos to be charged €800 and you agreed to pay but the rates are exorbitant and a rip off. The previous posters to this thread must be paid or employed by O2 to respond as they did.
    I went to Portugal last year and paid 140 euro for 5 days internet and email. The rate was about 13 per mb. I subsequently signed for 50 mb a month for €50
    The telecoms regulator should insist that the telecoms operators send a text message if usage is over a certain amount.
    I hate O2 but they are all the bloody same so no point in changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

You had a 3 GB usage limit included in your package.
    You agreed to O2s terms and conditions which specified that you would be charged for each Mb over that limit.

You exceeded this limit and O2 billed you for the excess.

Where's the issue?
    You used the service, they provided the service, now pay for it.

And yes I agree with the previous poster, the rates are extortionate, but thats what you signed up for, and I assume you were able to read and understand the contract you signed, so really no one to blame here but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seafield

fc2060 wrote: »
    You must have watched a lot of videos to be charged €800 and you agreed to pay but the rates are exorbitant and a rip off. The previous posters to this thread must be paid or employed by O2 to respond as they did.
    I went to Portugal last year and paid 140 euro for 5 days internet and email. The rate was about 13 per mb. I subsequently signed for 50 mb a month for €50
    The telecoms regulator should insist that the telecoms operators send a text message if usage is over a certain amount.

Thank you fc2060 for your balanced and fair response.
    Yes the rates are extortionate. I probably watched one hours streaming or less most nights, but some nights none at all.
    02 also deliberately mislead people. and being banned from their forum for complaining about my bill, that's what i mean by communist, dictatorship, censorship, call it what you will.
    it was only when i compared it with my friend who has ntl internet that I really realised how much o2 are ripping people off. and I am not the only one, believe me. I have already talked to 8 other people who this has happened to and that is only in the last week!
    ntl could if they wanted have charged extortionate prices for their internet but they didnt. they did what was fair and moved my friend up to the next package.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why can’t people take responsibilities for their own actions. It should be up to o2 or who ever to tell you that you are using your phone a lot or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

seafield wrote: »
    Yes the rates are extortionate. I probably watched one hours streaming or less most nights, but some nights none at all.
    02 also deliberately mislead people. and being banned from their forum for complaining about my bill, that's what i mean by communist, dictatorship, censorship, call it what you will.
    it was only when i compared it with my friend who has ntl internet that I really realised how much o2 are ripping people off. and I am not the only one, believe me. I have already talked to 8 other people who this has happened to and that is only in the last week!
    ntl could if they wanted have charged extortionate prices for their internet but they didnt. they did what was fair and moved my friend up to the next package.

NTL and O2 Broadband are two totally different products, fixed line versus mobile, you can't compare pricing or limits.

How are o2 deliberately misleading people, you obviously were aware of the 3GB limit, the fact that you thought you could use this for streaming movies most evenings shows that you really hadn't a clue what you were signing when you signed up. If you were unsure you should have asked.

While I agree the excess charges are extortionate, you had a duty of care to yourself to know that you were going to face these charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

LOL, I don't work for O2. I think thats a good idea, is there no warning system currently for mobile broadband if you go over your limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im still amazed people feel they are ripped off when they recieve a bill for something that they have signed up for in black and white when you signed the terms and conditions

A contract is not something you throw to one side and hope youll never get charged for going over the limit its a legally binding document between you and your ISP

Coming on here bitching about it will do no good, you went over the limit, way over judging by the bill you recieved, so lesson learned dont do it again and keep within your limit and no problem

TRI

I wasn't aware of an NTL mobile BB package. Do tell............

Do you know how long it takes to stream 3Gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

omahaid wrote: »
    LOL, I don't work for O2. I think thats a good idea, is there no warning system currently for mobile broadband if you go over your limit?

In answer to that they dont have to as with all contracts its in the terms and conditions

Data usage in excess of the relevant usage limits is charged at the applicable published rate on O2.ie.

There is no need for text messages or warnings if you just read what your signing up for

Tri

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

omahaid wrote: »

I am noticing a lot of people complaining about the o2 and over usage.
    and believe it or not o2 do have a warning system in place for the mobile broadband, I read them say it over on the site..
    They send a warning when a user goes over €1,000 in there month :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Where are they deliberatily misleading people?
    They have a calculator on their website that you can use to figure out how much bandwidth you think you are going to use BEFORE you buy the package for gods sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seafield

Lenny wrote: »
    I am noticing a lot of people complaining about the o2 and over usage.
    and believe it or not o2 do have a warning system in place for the mobile broadband, I read them say it over on the site..
    They send a warning when a user goes over €1,000 in there month :eek:

haha well fair play to them lenny, but if you only spend a measly 800 there's no warning. they really are 'a company you can trust'
    all i'm trying to do is advise people not to sign up to o2, for no reason other than i dont want what happened to me, and many others, to happen to more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

It might not be illegal but its sneaky on O2's part. I got done for 130e one month for going over my 10GB limit. A notification would be nice but they are making so much money off people going over the limit that they will keep it quiet when we slip beyond our limit.

People always go on about the T&C's but people rarely read them.

I suppose another aspect of the O2 contract is that once you go over the limit, the price per Mb goes up 10 fold.

Within download limit:
    20e per 10Gb

Over download limit:
    200e per 10GB

I think I have my maths right from the T&Cs from this page

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/More%20info/O2%20Clear%20Broadband?pagedesign=O2_PRES_moreInfoPopup

based on the 18month contract.

And the fact that they show the charge in this format

2c per MB applies for all usage in excess of the data usage limit on your plan.

misleads the customer slightly. If they said the cost of broadband goes up 10 times once you go over the limit people might take more notice and that is probably why they display it in cents cause 2c per MB sounds okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

In fact I discussed this with a friend of mine who has ntl internet and she said that her house went over their usage limit of 40gb last month, they actually doubled their usage to 95gb. so did ntl send them an extortionatly priced bill??? no! they fairly and justly moved them up to the next package so they only get billed an extra 10 a month.

This is a silly statement to make. O2 BB is priced similarly to data charges on your mobile and thats what you are paying a premium for. It is a cellular network not a fixed one and as such is more expensive. You went over your cap and have to pay the charges outlined in your contract! Simple as!

Theta wrote: »
    This is a silly statement to make. O2 BB is priced similarly to data charges on your mobile and thats what you are paying a premium for. It is a cellular network not a fixed one and as such is more expensive. You went over your cap and have to pay the charges outlined in your contract! Simple as!

I agree with this comment but I think people are being harsh with the OP. The little man here did wrong going over the limit but the suits are screwing him/her for doing it. Sure its in the T&C but its still not a very fair practice.

But what do you want them to do? The reason for bandwidth caps is to make sure everyone doesnt take more then there fair share of the pie.

• Advertisement

I think a notification that you are over your limit would be fair enough.

Mr.S wrote: »
    One of the reasons for offering cheap mobile broadband, is to put a higher price on bandwith if people go over the allocation.

Anyway, it costs the providers more money if everyone is going over the limits, so I don't see how they're not being "fair"?

Does it cost them 10times more?

Fair enough and im sure it would be handy enough to impliment but most people can police themselves. You can always install third party software on your side to calculate bandwidth usage. It wont be exact but it will give you a fair idea!

Network expansion and increased OPEX can be very expensive! But no it most likly doesnt cost ten times more but it is there to be used as a penalty

I agree with this. A notification would make absolute sense.

But the actual facts of the matter remain. O2 have done nothing improper - the OP (with whom I sympathise) has to start taking some responsibility for his usage and desist from bad mouthing his/her chosen ISP with which terms he/she agreed - up front and before taking the service.

No. The idea from the ISP is that you will take a more expensive package to avoid overusage penalties.

Theta wrote: »
    Fair enough and im sure it would be handy enough to impliment but most people can police themselves. You can always install third party software on your side to calculate bandwidth usage. It wont be exact but it will give you a fair idea!

Network expansion and increased OPEX can be very expensive! But no it most likey doesnt cost ten times more but it is there to be used as a penalty

True, I'd didn't really think about it as a penalty. Its fair enough that a person would have to pay more for using over their limit but its just the silence from O2 while you are doing it that annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

3GB is quite a lot.

Not really I'd easily download that in the space of a couple of days.

OP, have to agree with the other posters. It's there in black and white so unfortunately it's your fault. :(

You say you stream an hour a day. so that is prob not far off 1GB+ a day. You should pay for internet with unlimited cap. Costs extra but you can download as much as you like

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fc2060

It is unreasonable to allow a student or anyone to run up a huge bill when it would be so easy to warn the person, particularly when the rate is so high

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

If you go over the limit there are consequences such as having to pay for it.
    but o2 should warn people as they approach the limit,i suppose they wont do that as they are making more money as it is.
    If you are a frequent every day internet user who wants to use mobile broadband i would advise signing up to bill pay..prepay is way better they can never spend a large amount unless you top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

One of the reasons for offering cheap mobile broadband, is to put a higher price on bandwith if people go over the allocation.

Anyway, it costs the providers more money if everyone is going over the limits, so I don't see how they're not being "fair"?

I can understand your argument here but you can't justify O2's charges in these cases they are essentially punishment fines for using their products, it's a fundimental problem that you can spend like 30 quid on a product and expect to pay 20euro per month after and end up with a bill for 800euro after, if they wanted to stop people going over the quota then they could kill the connection when you reach your cap, they don't and they're pretty much just profiteering off of the backs of the ignorant. Which is ethically wrong in my opinion, I fail to see how anyone could reasonably back up a company like that in these cases, no wonder everything is so expensive over here we just bend over and take it doesn't matter how much it is as long as you're told that's how much it is.

Advertisement