Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 internet bill 800 euro for 2 months

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jor el wrote: »
    If you refer back to post #50, you'll see it explained in plain English, and regular sized font. Not at all complicated, different language or poorly explained. .
    Plain English to you or me that has a some knowledge of IT, but to someone who hasn't a clue its a different story, its all about alerting the customer and warning him of his bill before it escalates.

Give you an example, I am not a great fan of credit cards, in fact i hate them with a passion. I bought a van last month, the night i wanted the deposit I withdrew E500 cash from an ATM. Went to use my card the next morning and it was blocked. Got on to MBNA immediately and asked them why they stopped my card, they explained that they were suspicious of the transaction I made the night before. Instead of lifting them out of it I told them that I appreciated this as they were safe garding my account.

Likewise this is how service providers should operate, if someone is stupidly over riding their limit they should phone or email them immediatly and let them know that they are going overboard, the system is all digitally computerised so i dont see any reason why it cannot happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

The Forum is “Rip Off Ireland” - €200 for 10gb is a rip-off, please consider that before you digress and start attacking the OP. That’s the point he’s brought to us. This isn’t the “Who’s to blame?” forum. If you wish to disagree then state that you think €200 for 10GB is a fair price.

e.g. TALK202_Paddy: “Yes I think €800 for 3 months internet is a fair price”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

Bosshogg - I think the fact remains that you agreed to those prices when you signed up...

As to whether it's fair, again that's up to the buyer at the checkout.

I do believe that the charges are high but then again i also believe that if i get charged for extra usage- if i used it then i'd have to pay for it, no matter how burnt i'd feel. Ultimately it's your own responsibility to look after your own usage.

Going back to post #1. When did you sign up? Was it recently? Didn't know O2 did a 3GB plan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Is seafield a real person? I find it odd that the ops first post is the one. I am still waiting to hear from seafield to see if something can be done. If you want to give me your real number I will look into it. You can PM me anytime or email O2customerforum@o2.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bosshogg wrote: »
    If you wish to disagree then state that you think €200 for 10GB is a fair price.

Did you read my post at all? Do you have anything to contribute, other than more nonsense?

Based on voice data prices, €200 for 10GB is actually very fairly prices. Feel free to keep ignoring this all you like though. I'm sure it makes you feel much better to continue ignoring facts like you have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Don't know what OP is talking about as the student plan quiet clearly states that it's 9.95e for 10 Gig per month.

And then the cost for going over the limit. 2c per MB

OP says 3Gig plan for 10.00e ???

OP, are you unable to check you usage by yourself on the connection manager?

Pay O2 what you owe them and stop whingeing, let this be a valuable lesson for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

I got burned to the tune of 600 Euro in this way when Using my phone as a modem, as I exceeded my data bundle. Was disgusted but had nobody to blame but myself. O2 offer a free service called text alerts available on any contract, where they text you when you reach an amount specifed by you, and again when you reach another amount specified by you. This is pretty fair, as they don't have to, even if the overlimit charges are ridiculous. On a mobile it's not 2 cent per mb, it's 2cent per kb!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

Plain English to you or me that has a some knowledge of IT, but to someone who hasn't a clue its a different story, its all about alerting the customer and warning him of his bill before it escalates.

Give you an example, I am not a great fan of credit cards, in fact i hate them with a passion. I bought a van last month, the night i wanted the deposit I withdrew E500 cash from an ATM. Went to use my card the next morning and it was blocked. Got on to MBNA immediately and asked them why they stopped my card, they explained that they were suspicious of the transaction I made the night before. Instead of lifting them out of it I told them that I appreciated this as they were safe garding my account.

Likewise this is how service providers should operate, if someone is stupidly over riding their limit they should phone or email them immediatly and let them know that they are going overboard, the system is all digitally computerised so i dont see any reason why it cannot happen.

I don't think it's the same thing at all. One is fraudulent usage one is over usage.. sounds like OPs normal usage was to go over limit so why would the operator stop them ?
    Irrespective of whether cost is "fair" or not it seems to be in published terms and OP presumably is a consenting adult, who maybe should've taken approach of .. " so sorry, didn't read and understand conditions and impacts, I'm an impoverished student.. please let me off" instead of stance of righteous indignation at someone charging what it says on the tin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

seafield wrote: »
    I did watch a few films through streaming and youtube, etc

that's what dvd players are made for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Is seafield a real person? I find it odd that the ops first post is the one.
    A chunk of people tend to come to boards to post for the first time when something's happened to annoy them. It's always been one of the new member drivers.

• Advertisement

EU moves to eradicate mobile broadband ‘bill shock’

Unfotunately the word "roaming" is used too much but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    If the EU are stepping in it proves that this is a well known and widely used con, it is rampant accross Europe and highlights the fact that O2 and all the mobile comms are profiteering anyway they can.

The same mechanism needs to be made compulsory for local usage too.

Have a read...

http://www.businessandleadership.com/news/article/20434/technology/eu-moves-to-eradicate-mobile-broadband-bill-shock

From the web: "As an example of the problem, in 2009, a German traveller downloading a TV programme while roaming in France faced a bill of no less than €46 000. In another recent example, a UK student was reported as receiving a bill of almost €9 000 for data roaming during a single month while studying abroad."

And I thought I was bad getting stung for €1003 for 3 months, well I was but here they're trying to take your house! Utterly dispicable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

EU moves to eradicate mobile broadband ‘bill shock’

Unfotunately the word "roaming" is used too much but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    If the EU are stepping in it proves that this is a well known and widely used con, it is rampant accross Europe and highlights the fact that O2 and all the mobile comms are profiteering anyway they can.
    That is roaming as in cross country charges which yes, all mobile operators charge insanly high rates for data (same way they did mobile calls and texts previously until stopped by the commission) by other operators.

Those rates how ever are no where near the rates paid by a domestic user and as shown earlier in this thread those rates are in turn actually LESS profitable then a domestic mobile call. The data rates are NOT profitable compared to mobile calls, once again, lets repeat that, mobile companies PREFER that you call over using data because they make more money that way. So no matter how much everyone complain about the mobile data rates the simple answer is that they are not going to move a whole lot down because they are not making a lot of money. Why? Because mobile "broadband" is not really made to handle data transfer in an efficent way; this is why broadband comes in cables and not wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

If the EU are stepping in it proves that this is a well known and widely used con,

Con? You obviously have no concept of the definition of the word.

I had a look through your previous posts here and the trip that is on your sig and you'd make Michael O'Leary look live a novice spin doctor.

In my experience those who shout the loudest tend to make fools out of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

I have 02 brodband with the portabe modem, 10 gb monthly usage and €10 euro a month. I went over over the limit in the first month but was only charged €20, you mustve been waaaaaaaay over the limit :confused:

i moved from meteor where i was paying €20 euro a month for 5gb usage. They overcharged me every freakin' month even when my statistics said i was well under the 5gb. Meteor said that those stats arent "accurate", seeing as they are the only indicator to how much i have used, i just gave up and went to 02 and so far so good. Modem is a bit shoddy but for a tenner a month i aint complaining! U just gotta watch what u stream, youtube is the devil for data uage trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The same mechanism needs to be made compulsory for local usage too.

Continuing to ignore the facts, just because it's convenient to back up your flawed argument, will not alter anything. Charges for roaming, on data, voice or text, are a completely separate issue to charges for excess usage on a domestic network. They are in no way comparable, and bringing that story into this thread shows how little you know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

AdMMM wrote: »
    While you are technically correct, I don't think that bumhunting students who simply cannot afford to pay much more than €10 a month is fair. Lets not forget that those in full-time education under the age of 24 cannot claim any benefits from the state and may not be able to find a part-time job. Money is extremely tight for most students, especially if their parents can't/won't support them and I'd consider lumping someone with a €800 bill, without warning, is simply preying on the vulnerable members of society.

Mobile broadband is a luxury not a necessity, all colleges have internet access if students need to use it. If money is that tight for students they shouldn't be signing up for contract services at all. The OP wasn't even using for educational use, so I think the argument of 'students can't afford to pay much more than €10' doesn't wash, when it was only used to download films/you tube. Hardly a necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

jor el wrote: »
    Continuing to ignore the facts, just because it's convenient to back up your flawed argument, will not alter anything. Charges for roaming, on data, voice or text, are a completely separate issue to charges for excess usage on a domestic network. They are in no way comparable, and bringing that story into this thread shows how little you know about it.

I think they are comparable in the way that they can both give unexpected expensive monthly bills. A person roaming is free to look up the T&Cs with regards to the charging as much at the person on mobile internet. Is it not a safety net for both?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think they are comparable in the way that they can both give unexpected expensive monthly bills. A person roaming is free to look up the T&Cs with regards to the charging as much at the person on mobile internet. Is it not a safety net for both?
    You would actually have a very hard time to know the roaming fees as they are charged not by your operator but by the local one (who bill your operator who bill you) and would normally not be listed any where.

Any way it is noted in this thread that you can have automatic notification for your bill that is set up by the user AND the user can check how much they have used to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

To coin a phase from the old watchdog programmed ....Why oh Why oh Why

Do people not read the terms and condition of contracts they are entering into they get blinded by the nice new shiny object in front of them to pay any attention to what they are committing to, then when it does suit they come on complaining about being ripped off. Every day there are people shouting here about their consumer rights when they have no idea what they are on about. People complaining that have been landed with an "unfair" huge bill because of their lackadaisical attitude to monitor their own usage of a service, be it Electric, Gas, Mobile, Roaming, Internet, iPhone whatever. It is time to start paying attention and looking after your own business. Quit moaning about it and showing other people your ignorance.
    Suck it up and get on with life...
    Leave this forum to people who genuinely need some consumer help!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

seafield wrote: »
    I got the 10 Euro a month student package from o2 with a 3gb usage limit. I did watch a few films through streaming and youtube, etc, but 800 euro for 2 months. that is completely ridiculous!!

after reading through all the t&c's I know now that I will probably never see my money again as they have certainly covered their corporate asses! but I think it should be brought to people's attention that o2's practice is completely misleading and they are ripping off their customers left right and centre. all this from 'a company you can trust'

after searching about this on the internet I have found scores of people that the same thing has happened to so you cannot really say it is the fault of the people. I haven't heard of any other internet provider ripping off their customers like this. this type of billing can really do damage to people in an already struggling economy. I talked to one girl who had got billed over 1000 euro for a month and was really struggling to pay it off. she shouldn't have to!

In fact I discussed this with a friend of mine who has ntl internet and she said that her house went over their usage limit of 40gb last month, they actually doubled their usage to 95gb. so did ntl send them an extortionatly priced bill??? no! they fairly and justly moved them up to the next package so they only get billed an extra 10 a month.

I think i'll be moving to ntl or another internet provider that you can trust. and I would advise anyone not to enter into an internet agreement with o2. we can't let them get away with this.

by the way, i posted this on the o2 forum and 5 minutes later it was removed. so i posted it again and 5 mins later i was banned!! it said reason unspecified, when ban will be removed-never.
    are we living in a communist state? seems like o2 thinks so anyway

Yeh, once you go over the limit they charge you for every megabyte, I'm with 3 and I get allocated 15 GB for every month for 19.99 euro, I went over the limit last month through watching films online (this sort of thing eats up the gigabytes). the monthly price shot up so beware.

• Advertisement

O2 ARE misleading and the Student Offer is just one example.
    If you’re going to call something the “Student” package then I presume the sales sharks will profile a student first right?
    What’s a student typically? What kind of person is that? (And I’m talking in general terms ok, so don’t bother to nitpick.) What comes to my mind are things like; self expression, travelling, getting laid, getting locked, getting stoned, goofing off and generally messing around and enjoying life as stress free as much as possible. (Somewhere in between there’s something to do with learning usually). I believe a Uni in Galway banned the use of Facebook on their computers because today’s “Student” likes to muck about on the Internet a lot too and their computer time was getting blocked up. Now if you’re not researching for your school work then what are you doing at the computer?.. Skype video, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, viral emails, music downloading, ringtone downloading, online gaming, movies and just about any other kind of multimedia juice they can squeeze out of it. Even boards.ie get requests for “Voluntary Temp bans” so that they would be locked out of their internet addiction and they could get their study done. Now here’s the thing... On closer inspection and looking at the financial damage done (in just this one singled out case) Does O2’s “Student package” look like it’s actually for students?
    No it doesn’t. What can a student do with a lousy 3gigs? They can call it what they want but there’s no way you can tell me that’s suited to students. It’s yet another bear trap set waiting on its unsuspecting prey. And when they’re caught out what’s a dumb kid gonna do about it anyway? This is just one more reason why O2 can be regarded as misleading the customer. If O2 were sincere their “Student Package” would be more aptly called “The Granny Package”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Nody wrote: »
    You would actually have a very hard time to know the roaming fees as they are charged not by your operator but by the local one (who bill your operator who bill you) and would normally not be listed any where.

Any way it is noted in this thread that you can have automatic notification for your bill that is set up by the user AND the user can check how much they have used to date.

I get txts from new operators when roaming stating the cost for calls and texts.

I get txts from new operators when roaming stating the cost for calls and texts.
    Calls and texts yes, but not the data roaming fee which was the question at hand (since those prices are a tad more high)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

O2 ARE misleading and the Student Offer is just one example.
    If you’re going to call something the “Student” package then I presume the sales sharks will profile a student first right?
    What’s a student typically............. Does O2’s “Student package” look like it’s actually for students?
    No it doesn’t. What can a student do with a lousy 3gigs? They can call it what they want but there’s no way you can tell me that’s suited to students. It’s yet another bear trap set waiting on its unsuspecting prey. And when they’re caught out what’s a dumb kid gonna do about it anyway? This is just one more reason why O2 can be regarded as misleading the customer. If O2 were sincere their “Student Package” would be more aptly called “The Granny Package”

I have the HEAnet offer. And you need to get your facts straight before you flare off into nonsensical rants. €9:99 gives you 10gb not 3.

You need to provide a student ID card to avail of it and your college needs to be on the list of colleges recognized by the HEA.

But let me guess your just gonna come back with another tangent that's completely off base.

Well why don't you do that and we'll all just keep picking holes in them.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Some people need to have a bit of a reality check on this thread...
    Unfotunately for the op, a contract is a contract. Unknowingly he worked up the bill, but he'll prob still have to pay it.
    However o2 will not be keeping many students on their packages if they continue with a practice which does not warn when the limit has been reached.

Most people have no idea of the tech side of things and in all parts of the tech industry these people get screwed time and time again. From buying to repairs anyone who isn't technically minded will almost always find themselves on the wrong end of a deal.

I really feel for the op, but am not suprised by the negativity from so many people. We have so many cool hardliners on this site, I love them so much and I only wish I was more like them...

Hard luck op :(

€9:99 gives you 10gb not 3.

But let me guess your just gonna come back with another tangent that's completely off base.

See you!.. You're clever!! You really got me good on a slip up there. You're right €9.99 "gives" you 10gb, and €12.93 "gives" you 5gb! but in case you're missing the point while going off on a tangent to attack and undermine me (for whatever reason)... another 10gb will cost you a cool €200! (Getting the point yet?) Not a lot of people know that.

Well why don't you do that and we'll all just keep picking holes in them.!!

Why? What's in it for you? O2 have people employed to do this so why would you do it for free when they pay others? A bit foolish, no? Are you like an O2 groupy or something? Puzzles me that behaviour of some people on here.
    How would you like to go into a mechanic and ask for 710 part and be charged €200 for it only be to told afterwards "uhh well you agreed to pay it!"?

So I'm dying to know again from all you O2 sympatizers what's in it for you when your Irish neighbours are getting stung all the time? hm?

As far as I can make out the only people that would put this much effort into defending O2 would have to be O2 employees trying to win more Batman toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

actually Bosshog .. I don't think you'll find that many O2 groupies here, why you are feeling the hostility is that in general alot of people are just sick and tired of having to listen to consumers who make idiotic decisions and then decide to go on a rampage blaming everyone and anyone apart from themselves for their mistakes.

I have looked at your sham of a website and had a read over your previous posts and it looks like you made a costly error and can't stomach having to face up to the fact that you and you alone were the reason.

So rather than chalking it up to experience and a lesson learned, accepting the token gesture from O2 you decide to lash out.

From what I get, you never bothered to check out your usage on a mobile broadband product and when you got the bills you threw every excuse from personal time constraints to little bill notifications that you didn't bother to read as you were too busy.

Now you are jumping on the band wagon with someone else's similar annoyance and will just not listen to a rational objective argument.

I bet you are hankering for some air time with Joe Duffy, so you can twist your story and get sympathy from every other un-informed 'beat the system' housewife in the nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

What’s a student typically? What kind of person is that? (And I’m talking in general terms ok, so don’t bother to nitpick.) What comes to my mind are things like; self expression, travelling, getting laid, getting locked, getting stoned, goofing off and generally messing around and enjoying life as stress free as much as possible. (Somewhere in between there’s something to do with learning usually)
    I believe "waster" is the term you're looking for here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP and Bosshog:

I have no sympathy at all for either of you.

I went into the carphone warehouse a month ago and bought an iPhone on o2! I researched what it would cost per month, and also any "hidden" charges. I am happy with what I am paying and if I choose to go over my cap then I know I have to pay extra. All of this was explained to me in an o2 store and where I got the phone and I stick to my limit its as simple as that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

doncarlos wrote: »
    Not really I'd easily download that in the space of a couple of days.

OP, have to agree with the other posters. It's there in black and white so unfortunately it's your fault. :(

You say you stream an hour a day. so that is prob not far off 1GB+ a day. You should pay for internet with unlimited cap. Costs extra but you can download as much as you like

I think you were naive to expect that a 3gb limit would last you a month. especially when any streamed film is roughly 700mb and youtube broadcasts in HD for most new videos.

Im not saying you're in the wrong, only that you should have done more research before you signed the contract.

Advertisement