Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 internet bill 800 euro for 2 months

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Op same thing except I did not go over my limit - they said I did. I have 2 years of almost identical limits previously. I`m a creature of habit I never changed anything, if anything I was away a bit more because I was doing my house up.

I rang and rang they kept saying they`d get their technical team to look into it and call me, never got a call back. They are out and out theves, they stole my money. I know someone who used to work for them and I`m very conscious of what I can say here so not going to say what I`d like to. They actually monitor their employees facebook etc and they`re unfairness extends to their employees also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

seafield wrote: »
    I got the 10 Euro a month student package from o2 with a 3gb usage limit. I did watch a few films through streaming and youtube, etc, but 800 euro for 2 months. that is completely ridiculous!!

after reading through all the t&c's I know now that I will probably never see my money again as they have certainly covered their corporate asses! but I think it should be brought to people's attention that o2's practice is completely misleading and they are ripping off their customers left right and centre. all this from 'a company you can trust'

after searching about this on the internet I have found scores of people that the same thing has happened to so you cannot really say it is the fault of the people. I haven't heard of any other internet provider ripping off their customers like this. this type of billing can really do damage to people in an already struggling economy. I talked to one girl who had got billed over 1000 euro for a month and was really struggling to pay it off. she shouldn't have to!

In fact I discussed this with a friend of mine who has ntl internet and she said that her house went over their usage limit of 40gb last month, they actually doubled their usage to 95gb. so did ntl send them an extortionatly priced bill??? no! they fairly and justly moved them up to the next package so they only get billed an extra 10 a month.

I think i'll be moving to ntl or another internet provider that you can trust. and I would advise anyone not to enter into an internet agreement with o2. we can't let them get away with this.

by the way, i posted this on the o2 forum and 5 minutes later it was removed. so i posted it again and 5 mins later i was banned!! it said reason unspecified, when ban will be removed-never.
    are we living in a communist state? seems like o2 thinks so anyway

Who's been a silly billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

whippet wrote: »
    actually Bosshog .. I don't think you'll find that many O2 groupies here, why you are feeling the hostility is that in general alot of people are just sick and tired of having to listen to consumers who make idiotic decisions and then decide to go on a rampage blaming everyone and anyone apart from themselves for their mistakes.

I have looked at your sham of a website and had a read over your previous posts and it looks like you made a costly error and can't stomach having to face up to the fact that you and you alone were the reason.

So rather than chalking it up to experience and a lesson learned, accepting the token gesture from O2 you decide to lash out.

From what I get, you never bothered to check out your usage on a mobile broadband product and when you got the bills you threw every excuse from personal time constraints to little bill notifications that you didn't bother to read as you were too busy.

Now you are jumping on the band wagon with someone else's similar annoyance and will just not listen to a rational objective argument.

I bet you are hankering for some air time with Joe Duffy, so you can twist your story and get sympathy from every other un-informed 'beat the system' housewife in the nation.

ahh g'wan there whippet that's only about 100% wrong but do your best to start a flame war to get the thread locked why don't ya, the oldest O2 trick in the book. I dunno but maybe you're working for the Green party and would like to bring in a few new taxes aswell for say use of daylight or something?

I'm only wishing to do what O2 are very happy not to do, and that is inform the customer in clear un-technical terms of what the charges will be.
    All I want is local level repeat of what the EU just did to stop shock bills so that even you whippet don't get stung.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again €200 for 10gb is a rip off and a good reason for O2 to be as ambiguous as possible, but you're obviously a fella with loads of time to peruse every contract and bill you get and stand at the counter to diligently check your change for any minor discrepency. Do you even read the contracts in detail when you're installing software on your PC?

Now here's a question for you, when 'I' signed up for my O2 account there was an "Important Notice" (so titled) on the checkout page ensuring me that I would get a bill notice sent to my mobile phone. Now since you lot like to pick up on the details can you tell me why I never got a single message sent to my mobile to notify me of my bill? I'd love to ask O2 but they won't give me customer support! Do you know?

Thank you for visiting the site. Who said it was mine? It's not finished so please don't judge it too soon -sham!

I believe "waster" is the term you're looking for here.
    No it isn't. I'd call it "a right of passage".
    theg81der wrote: »
    ...I`m a creature of habit I never changed anything, if anything I was away a bit more because ...

I rang and rang they kept saying they`d get their technical team to look into it and call me, never got a call back. They are out and out theves, they stole my money.
    That sounds Bizarrely similar to my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 5PAWN

I think these "cheap" packages are a bit of a con. As soon as you go over the crappy download limit they screw you.... whywould the service provider not cap the download limit to ...in your case 3gb after that no net !

But if they did that how mould they make all the €€€€€ ?

The package you are on is for LIGHT web page viewing.

Change the package or go to a free wifi area.:)

Bosshogg wrote: »
    See you!.. You're clever!! You really got me good on a slip up there. You're right €9.99 "gives" you 10gb, and €12.93 "gives" you 5gb! but in case you're missing the point while going off on a tangent to attack and undermine me (for whatever reason)... another 10gb will cost you a cool €200! (Getting the point yet?) Not a lot of people know that.

Why? What's in it for you? O2 have people employed to do this so why would you do it for free when they pay others? A bit foolish, no? Are you like an O2 groupy or something? Puzzles me that behaviour of some people on here.
    How would you like to go into a mechanic and ask for 710 part and be charged €200 for it only be to told afterwards "uhh well you agreed to pay it!"?

So I'm dying to know again from all you O2 sympatizers what's in it for you when your Irish neighbours are getting stung all the time? hm?

As far as I can make out the only people that would put this much effort into defending O2 would have to be O2 employees trying to win more Batman toys.

Another silly billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

ahh g'wan there whippet that's only about 100% wrong but do your best to start a flame war to get the thread locked why don't ya, the oldest O2 trick in the book. I dunno but maybe you're working for the Green party and would like to bring in a few new taxes aswell for say use of daylight or something?

I'm only wishing to do what O2 are very happy not to do, and that is inform the customer in clear un-technical terms of what the charges will be.
    All I want is local level repeat of what the EU just did to stop shock bills so that even you whippet don't get stung.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again €200 for 10gb is a rip off and a good reason for O2 to be as ambiguous as possible, but you're obviously a fella with loads of time to peruse every contract and bill you get and stand at the counter to diligently check your change for any minor discrepency. Do you even read the contracts in detail when you're installing software on your PC?

Now here's a question for you, when 'I' signed up for my O2 account there was an "Important Notice" (so titled) on the checkout page ensuring me that I would get a bill notice sent to my mobile phone. Now since you lot like to pick up on the details can you tell me why I never got a single message sent to my mobile to notify me of my bill? I'd love to ask O2 but they won't give me customer support! Do you know?

Thank you for visiting the site. Who said it was mine? It's not finished so please don't judge it too soon -sham!

That sounds Bizarrely similar to my case.

Ehhh how is it in anyway unclear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I'm sorry. But I can't take you seriously if you think students have free reign to be as irresponsible as they can during their college years.

Rite of passage my hole. If you're a student in college then you're an adult (or not far off it) and living in the real world. I've no problem with students going out and having fun, maybe even going a little crazy with drink, drugs, sex etc., but it's completely possible to do all this without being immature and irresponsible when it comes to important things like studying and managing money

I have absolutely no problem with companies taking money off stupid people.

(Of course, if they took money off you without you actually downloading what they said you did, then they're completely in the wrong. This is not the case with the OP though, and is a completely separate issue)

T&C's apply duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 5PAWN

Way unclear...and the broadband companies are cashing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Whatever ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again €200 for 10gb is a rip off

unfortunatly you won't listen to anything anyone says to you.

200 quid for 10gb that you are spouting on about is an excess charge, you went over the contracted limit and this is the excess charge.

Just like on a carhire agreement with a set milage allowance, just like a lease-hire contract on a fleet car etc ... the punitive charges for exceeding the limit are designed to discourage people taking more than their fair cut of the data pipeline.

Your only gripe should be with yourself but you are pissed off that you have to pay up for your own error and seem to think that all the objective replies you are getting are somehow O2 shills.

Either you are unwilling to accept your own shortcomings or are just ignorant of the notion of limits on contracts that you have signed up to.

The fact that the product that you bought is named by the actual limit that you are signing up to actually can't be deemed small print ... it is there in your face all the time ...... but as you choose not to actually check out what it was going to cost you on more than one occasion is plain stupidity.

As they say once is a mistake but over a number of consecutive bills is just silly !!!

• Advertisement

It's called monitoring your usage think ye will find it aint brain surgery

200 quid for 10gb that you are spouting on about is an excess charge.
    Shame O2 don't spout about it instead of being ambiguous. You or your mates won't be signing up with them now will ya?!
    ... seem to think that all the objective replies you are getting are somehow O2 shills.
    Well some are suspicous looking. It does seem very bizarre to me that you don't think that excess charge is a clever pitfall designed to empty people's pockets but hey you might have Bono's non taxed income and don't have to worry about it for all I know?

Ya see this is the bit that I can't seem to get accross to some people.
    What's going on here is a social issue. If these sales loopholes are left open everytime we stumble into one then the public is going to get hammered.
    Sure O2 can hold their hands up and say "oh it's all above board". But enough is enough, when the fiddle is found out we have to sort it out. This is exactly why the EU took action and I'll bet money that our own shower will do too soon.

People are not stupid because they are caught out by this. And attacking them when they try announce it to others might make those that do hypocrits.

@Herbal- Students are (typically) young people that have very little experience in the world. They're gullable and easily taken advantage of. If you were a sales shark at O2 you'd exploit this for a batman toy.
    Unlike you I have a problem with companies taking advantage of "stupid" people (as you regard them). Do you think you have omnipotence to go with your username so you'll never be caught out?
    If there is a product out there that's new to you wouldn't you like to be made aware of the pitfalls if any? Especially if it was going to cost you money?

Shame O2 don't spout about it instead of being ambiguous. You or your mates won't be signing up with them now will ya?!

you still don't get it. When O2 advertise something called a 10GB Mobile broadband package ... the clue is in the name !!!! 10GB

And actually I have signed up to a data package from O2, as part of my iPhone Tariff and I am more than aware of what I am entitled to use before I get charged excess rates.

People are not stupid because they are caught out by this. And attacking them when they try announce it to others might make those that do hypocrits.

again, you are failing to get what people are trying to say to you. You have blamed everyone else and yet you can't seem to be able to accept any blame yourself for your own actions.

Well some are suspicous looking. It does seem very bizarre to me that you don't think that excess charge is a clever pitfall designed to empty people's pockets but hey you might have Bono's non taxed income and don't have to worry about it for all I know?

Ya see this is the bit that I can't seem to get accross to some people.
    What's going on here is a social issue. If these sales loopholes are left open everytime we stumble into one then the public is going to get hammered.
    Sure O2 can hold their hands up and say "oh it's all above board". But enough is enough, when the fiddle is found out we have to sort it out. This is exactly why the EU took action and I'll bet money that our own shower will do too soon.

@Herbal- Students are (typically) young people that have very little experience in the world. They're gullable and easily taken advantage of. If you were a sales shark at O2 you'd exploit this for a batman toy.
    Unlike you I have a problem with companies taking advantage of "stupid" people (as you regard them). Do you think you have omnipotence to go with your username so you'll never be caught out?
    If there is a product out there that's new to you wouldn't you like to be made aware of the pitfalls if any? Especially if it was going to cost you money?

Still a silly billy I hope your not in college if you are pack it in it's not gona work out!

And actually I have signed up to a data package from O2, as part of my iPhone Tariff and I am more than aware of what I am entitled to use before I get charged excess rates.

Does this apply to you?.. Are you aware that "Unlimited Data" from O2 is actually limited to 3gb? You know this right? I don't want to digress but just throwing it out there on the safe side to be sure to be sure because there's a lot of very confused people out there on the O2 forum. ;)

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?8564-O2-Advance-150

Are you aware that "Unlimited Data" from O2 is actually limited to 3gb?

I am aware and was before I signed up

Had an o2 modem for over a year and strangely never went over my allowance
    odd! but I did read the t&c's

I am aware and was before I signed up

Oh good. I wouldn't have got that. Seriously I wouldn't! I would have thought that "Unlimited Data" was say...uhm...err...well I don't want to sound stupid but I actually would have thought it was unlimited!
    As yirman said I'm such a sillybilly.

...and here I am giving out about the way O2 advertises.

Just to give you heads up I don't think you should fly with Ryanair..

I'm a student myself. I'm not gullible. If I was going to sign up for an internet package, I'd want to know the up and down speeds, the contention ratio, the download and upload caps and extra charges resulting in exceeding these caps. If I am ever caught out it will be due to my own stupidity, and I would not come on the internet whining about how it's the company's fault.

If there's a product out there that's new to me and involves signing contracts, getting billed by the month etc., I would research the crap out of it before signing up for it.

Re: the unlimited data package, "fair usage" is a different thing to a cap.

• Advertisement

I'm a student myself.
    I had guessed that from the adolescent username.
    I'm not gullible.
    Of course not. :rolleyes:
    I'm not gullible. If I was going to sign up for an internet package, I'd want to know the up and down speeds, the contention ratio, the download and upload caps and extra charges resulting in exceeding these caps. If I am ever caught out it will be due to my own stupidity, and I would not come on the internet whining about how it's the company's fault.

In doing your research;
    Would you appreciate it if O2 put the excess charges on the front (sales) page along side the "hook line" or buried deep in a lengthy contract?
    Would you like them to state all excess charges in GB for simplicity or swap between mb and gb and sure get stuck in with kb and tb aswell?
    In the event that for whatever reason you did actually go over your allowance would you like them to alert you then or when you've racked up a grand in charges?
    I would not come on the internet whining about how it's the company's fault.
    That's good, the OP came here to alert others from the pitfalls that you are so aware of. Understandably P*$$ed off and needs to get it off his chest.
    However you will come on the internet to whine at others and call them stupid (because you know so much better of course). Why don't you just ignore the thread instead? If it's no benefit to you why don't you just move along and leave it there in case it's of benefit to others?
    The OP wants to alert others to a bad deal but you want to call them stupid. Hm? OP wants to help other people and you want to...?

I'm off to bed - Good night :)

In doing your research;
    Would you appreciate it if O2 put the excess charges on the front (sales) page along side the "hook line" or buried deep in a lengthy contract?
    Would you like them to state all excess charges in GB for simplicity or swap between mb and gb and sure get stuck in with kb and tb aswell?
    In the event that for whatever reason you did actually go over your allowance would you like them to alert you then or when you've racked up a grand in charges?
    As far as I can see, the excess charges in this case are very upfront, not buried deep in a huge contract.

2c * 1000 = €20 per GB. It's not very hard. I don't think they've an obligation to state numerous different units of data because some people might not realise that 2c per MB is in fact quite expensive.

It would be nice if they alerted people when they went over your limit, but they're by no means obliged to do so.
    That's good, the OP came here to alert others from the pitfalls that you are so aware of. Understandably P*$$ed off and needs to get it off his chest.
    However you will come on the internet to whine at others and call them stupid (because you know so much better of course). Why don't you just ignore the thread instead? If it's no benefit to you why don't you just move along and leave it there in case it's of benefit to others?
    The OP wants to alert others to a bad deal but you want to call them stupid. Hm? OP wants to help other people and you want to...?
    I would have no problem with the OP coming on and warning against the perils of excess downloading and not paying enough attention to the costs involved in a plan.

I'm posting because I have a problem with people completely absolving themselves of blame regarding situations they get themselves into.

I'm posting because I have a problem with people completely absolving themselves of blame regarding situations they get themselves into.

Given the 2 parties we're talking about here... "Mongo millions telecoms" on one side and "scraping a living up to his eyes in debt student" that left the mobile dongle out and his roomy thought it was an emergency to download the latest copy of the Oracle Development Suite over night(or whatever reason for going over - a trojan if you like, theft even?!)

Do you think that O2 should be completely free from responsibility after the contract is signed/clicked? Say 12 months later, it was all going smooth €19.99 per month, then whammo €584 accross the chops - they've dipped your credit card before you knew what happened.

Do you honestly think that's fair and responsible behaviour from a company to let this happen? Just because they can doesn't mean it's ok does it? Do you think that maybe the government with a responsibility to protect the citizens from harm should do something to prevent these "accidents" from happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Given the 2 parties we're talking about here... "Mongo millions telecoms" on one side and "scraping a living up to his eyes in debt student" that left the mobile dongle out and his roomy thought it was an emergency to download the latest copy of the Oracle Development Suite over night(or whatever reason for going over - a trojan if you like, theft even?!)

Do you think that O2 should be completely free from responsibility after the contract is signed/clicked? Say 12 months later, it was all going smooth €19.99 per month, then whammo €584 accross the chops - they've dipped your credit card before you knew what happened.

Do you honestly think that's fair and responsible behaviour from a company to let this happen? Just because they can doesn't mean it's ok does it? Do you think that maybe the government with a responsibility to protect the citizens from harm should do something to prevent these "accidents" from happening?

Yup you signed the dotted line with the penalty for going over your cap in PLAIN ENGLISH and in PLAIN SIGHT. So they have every right to take what you signed for. They are just sticking to there side of the bargin.

They agree to provide you with 10GB of bandwidth and you agree not to go over it and if you do they get to charge you. Thats the deal. Unless your not mature enough to take responsibility for it then dont use it. Simples.

Oh and I dont own any o2 products or ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bosshogg, your thread got locked for a reason. That wasn't an invitation to bring that discussion into every other thread on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Do you honestly think that's fair and responsible behaviour from a company to let this happen? Just because they can doesn't mean it's ok does it?

As they are a business with shareholders* I would say yes, it is fair and responsible behaviour from them to collect the money that they are owed. It is however irresponsible behaviour for someone to run up a bill that they cant afford or to sign contracts to services that they dont fully understand.
    Do you think that maybe the government with a responsibility to protect the citizens from harm should do something to prevent these "accidents" from happening?

Would you also like a government appointed nanny to hold your hand when you cross the road?

*for the record im not an 02 shareholder nor do I own any of their products

Mataguri wrote: »

As they are a business with shareholders* I would say yes, it is fair and responsible behaviour from them to collect the money that they are owed. It is however irresponsible behaviour for someone to run up a bill that they cant afford or to sign contracts to services that they dont fully understand.

Would you also like a government appointed nanny to hold your hand when you cross the road?

*for the record im not an 02 shareholder nor do I own any of their products

And I hope the Nanny has real good glasses so she can read the T&C's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheArtfulRotter

As naive as the OP is, surely a warning message should pop up when you exceed your limit?

After that there is no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As naive as the OP is, surely a warning message should pop up when you exceed your limit?
    I do agree. However a warning at 90% would be more useful to the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bugnut

eth0_ wrote: »
    The o2 software makes it easy to check your usage and see if you are approaching your cap. You seem to think the terms of the contract do not apply to you.

Seafield - in an ideal world, people who do not possess the intellectual capacity to read and understand a contract would be unable to enter into one. People like...you.

Nice Insult there MODERATOR - keep those standards up ! - maybe people with reading difficulties would find it encouraging to hear your biased view

jor el wrote: »
    Did you read my post at all? Do you have anything to contribute, other than more nonsense?

Based on voice data prices, €200 for 10GB is actually very fairly prices. Feel free to keep ignoring this all you like though. I'm sure it makes you feel much better to continue ignoring facts like you have been.

More rudeness - nice !
    EU moves to eradicate mobile broadband ‘bill shock’

Unfotunately the word "roaming" is used too much but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    If the EU are stepping in it proves that this is a well known and widely used con, it is rampant accross Europe and highlights the fact that O2 and all the mobile comms are profiteering anyway they can.

The same mechanism needs to be made compulsory for local usage too.

Have a read...

http://www.businessandleadership.com/news/article/20434/technology/eu-moves-to-eradicate-mobile-broadband-bill-shock

From the web: "As an example of the problem, in 2009, a German traveller downloading a TV programme while roaming in France faced a bill of no less than €46 000. In another recent example, a UK student was reported as receiving a bill of almost €9 000 for data roaming during a single month while studying abroad."

And I thought I was bad getting stung for €1003 for 3 months, well I was but here they're trying to take your house! Utterly dispicable.

Fair reflection of a serious issue.

Obviously this issue only causes concern for those who do not have the appropriate level of intillectual capacity to understand a contract.

We Irish are so friendly !

Advertisement