Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms that you really ought to know...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Was in a meeting recently with the term "impairment of assets" thrown around frequently. I smiled and nodded, not a clue to its precise meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revaluation_of_fixed_assets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

Happens me so often it's worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

I got done by discretionary fiscal spending, in an interview :(.

So straightforward conceptually, I'd just never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Not exactly economics but some words that get you much better customer service are merchantable, fungible and iatragenic. That last one in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Do you know the one called moral hazard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

digme wrote: »

A bloke gets health insurance and then starts living an unhealthy life, as a consequence. Same can be applied to legal issues, where we force people to wear seatbelts, crash helmets, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Financial institutions take risks knowing the government will bail them out?

People stop paying their debts knowing the government will bail them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one of my collegues kept using the term "fiscal neutral" so often when taking about running a particular project at breakeven that I started using it myself.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's where someone's attitude towards risk changes because they've taken out insurance (or there's implicit insurance such as publicly funded healthcare and similar).

Being more likely to park your car in a dodgy spot after getting Fire & Theft insurace etc. Can also be stretched to cover building in a known floodplain because you assume you'll be able to get flood insurance for your house and similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

My confidence interval is typically after a few pints on a Friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

My confidence interval is typically after a few pints on a Friday night.

...but contrary to the standard theoretical predictions, my robust errors tend to shorten said interval :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

...but contrary to the standard theoretical predictions, my robust errors tend to shorten said interval :pac:

You could go for a larger sample....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In my spare time I like to run regressions and jump to conclusions!

Aha, stole that one from a book co-written by Professor Markusen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im doing a dissertation on the banking industry (see sig) and Im sad to say I had to look up what "systemic" meant because it kept poppin up. Never felt so stupid, its fairly obvious what it means really!

Advertisement