Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for a 7 yer old

Options
  • 24-02-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a present for my absolutely fabulous soon to be 7 year old goddaughter? Want to get her something she`ll really love but have no idea whats cool for 7 year olds

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Books, Books and more books.

the best gift you can give a child is the love of reading.

get yourself to a good bookshop, they will have Dedicated staff who work with just childrens books and they will be able to recommend the best books for the age range and interests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I love books too and my kids have loads but they're not the present to give if you want the kid's jaw to drop and have loads of hugs lavished on you. :)

Ask her parents if they have any ideas, they should know what she's mental for.

It'll probably be poo-pooed by some of the more righteous on here but if she doesn't have one, I would buy her a pink Nintendo DS and a couple of games - although that may be outside your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

whats wrong with a DS? I don't thikn there is anything wrong with a DS even a pink one,
    other then it is pricey and a big present so may be should be something bought by parents for a child.

Find out what she is into, the defination of cool can vary from child to child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nowt wrong with a DS but you might want to check with her parents first in case they're of the self righteous type ;)

With regard to books I would recommend any of the "Daisy and the trouble with... " books. They are hilarious and written from the point of view of a 7 year old girl :Dwww.daisyclub.co.uk You can get them in any Easons. My daughter reads them over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Thaedydal wrote: »
    whats wrong with a DS? I don't thikn there is anything wrong with a DS even a pink one,
    other then it is pricey and a big present so may be should be something bought by parents for a child.

Find out what she is into, the defination of cool can vary from child to child.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a DS, my 6 year old has a pink one and my 3 year old plays my one. :)
    I did say that some of the 'more righteous' might have something to say about the suggestion of a DS, in fairness but I know that you are a long time defender of kids gaming and wouldn't categorise you as one of them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I can understand your problem - I have a niece around the same age (8 in April)

last present was almost impossible to get ...but managed to get her Miley Cyrus tickets for the O2.

it all comes down to the innocence of the child and what they actually like, some kids prefer sports, some prefer music and/or books.....talk to the parents and ask them for input (also stops you clashing presents or buying a better pressie than the parents)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭carab

Maybe she already had a DS so you could get her a game or 2 and a couple of books! I have girls that are 10,8 & 6 and they would love either the games or books.
    Something else that they love are vouchers! think it makes then feel grown-up, choosing and buying their own stuff:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A smyths voucher may be a good idea and you make a shopping date with her, so you can see what she is into and go for a milk shake afterwards. There is nothing more invaluable you can spend on a child then time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Good ideas all. Her parents act like my vegetarianism is the plague she`s also not allowed chocolate etc and they really push the kids to read - I believe they qualify for the self rightious kind alright lol. Not keen to get books cause I think she has them pushed at her enough an she`s a very tomboy ish active but she still likes sparkly girly stuff.

Thought about getting her a star and a teliscope? maybe she`s to young thou and wouldn`t like it. Maybe a science kit? no too boring. Is a kids netbook a crazy pressie?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Pay a visit to one the Imaginarium shops if you're near dublin. They've got great stuff for all ages. Our little fella loves their explorer range so much he often sleeps in the tent he got from there for his birthday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

all the kids in my area are after american girl dolls cost 95 dollars but mine cost 138 euro had to get it off ebay as american girl doll dont post to ireland.

My friends daughter got a sylvanian families house for christmas and adores it. She never stops playing with it. It's a toy that last too as there are so many add ons for it.

I'm all for books too but if that's all her parents buy her then maybe something a bit more fun might be better.

I like the idea of a shopping trip too. She would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

what about tickets to the disney princess show?

You could then bring her out and spoil her rotten for the day.

All the other ideas above are great too!!

DS's rock, especially in the car and on flights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter was 7 last week. I brought her and her friend to the cinema and then we got all dressed up and went out for dinner which they loved as they felt all grown up.

I also got her tickets for Jedward (Lord help us).
    For christmas she got some Hannah Montana stuff. If I'd the money I'd have gotten her a karaoke machine or something like that. She loves her music and singing and dancing. She has a ds but is more into the Wii at the moment with "lets dance" and the Hannah Montana game being top of the list at the moment.

Advertisement