Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

statistics discrepancy

Options
  • 24-02-2010 12:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

guys quick question for you all. I'm trying to pick the best stats package (with accuracy being the most important) for one of my websites:

Anyways have been running each of them for the month of Feb and the statistics on each of them are completely different from the other. For example:

Awstats: 10432 visits
    Webalizer: 10186 visits
    ModLogan: 10060 visits

What tends to be the most accurate of stats packages in your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Google Analytics is pretty decent; grepping the apache log (which is what awstats and webalizer do) isn't always going to be as accurate, but you should probably keep in mind that no web statistics package will be properly accurate.

You're probably better off only keeping a periheperal eye on hits/views/visitors/etc and instead focus on conversions, whatever they happen to be for your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Sparks wrote: »
    Google Analytics is pretty decent; grepping the apache log (which is what awstats and webalizer do) isn't always going to be as accurate, but you should probably keep in mind that no web statistics package will be properly accurate.
    I would have thought that grepping the Apache log would be the most accurate.
    If Javascript is turned off then Google Analytics won't collect much/any data, but the apache log will.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you want to know how often a file's pulled, then yes; if you want to know how many people came to your site then not so much. GA is doing a lot of fairly smart guesstimation in its reports to get visitor numbers and the like. Hits or views, GA won't be as accurate as the logfiles for, but when you start to try to figure out more details than that (like visitors for example), then I'd lean more towards GA than awstats. Doesn't mean you can't run both.

Mind you, as Conor could tell you, website statistics is more art than science...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cheers for the replies guys and clarifying my hunch, much appreciated :)

Advertisement