Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

I have no idea how to get them to stop, but when you do, let us all know. My house must have gotten 12-15 calls in the last month.

Will do Brian - the ole man is calling Comreg / Eircom tomorrow for assitance - if he gets to the bottom of it will post up a solution

notnigella wrote: »
    I am being tormented by this shower. I keep telling them I am not interested and have even taken to telling them that I have no PC but I still get about 3 calls a week. I found this info tonight about unsolicited calls so I am going to try this from Eircom to stop future cold calls:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=2&E=0000000000263229282&K=3042&Sxi=7&Case=obj(10950)

In the meantime I think it's time to keep an airhorn by the phone to respond to the next call......
    Your link does not work .....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notnigella

OK. Go to Eircom.ie
    Choose Support.
    Choose Product Support.
    Choose Phone.
    In Top Queries choose Opt Out of Unsolicited Calls.

I have tried calling tonight but the lines only operate from 8:30am to 6:30pm.

OK. Go to Eircom.ie
    Choose Support.
    Choose Product Support.
    Choose Phone.

I have tried calling tonight but the lines only operate from 8:30am to 6:30pm.

cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

OK. Go to Eircom.ie
    Choose Support.
    Choose Product Support.
    Choose Phone.

They're in India. They're criminals. And they don't pay attention to any opt-out lists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Got the call, they are using an Irish phone number and claimed to have a Irish Office. Complete BS I know. Did the usual drivel about reporting them, but theres no point.

How about reporting to your phone provider, that unless they block the calls, you'll drop the phone line and switch a mobile with free land line package. In fact why not do that anyway, instead of supporting eircom. Who do nothing for you. I assume they won't ring a mobile because it costs them too much. Theres your solution right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

there was a report on midwest radio (a local radio station) about these scammers today. good to see that at least it's getting a bit more coverage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have not yet received any calls but know of a few people who have.

The best of which was they called my brother's mother in law and told her she had problems with her computer. She started paniking as she gets worried very quickly and is the ideal target for such a scam. The person on the other end of the phone asked her to turn on her computer so they could check some stuff out. It was at this point that she remembered that she doesnt have a computer :eek:

Anyhow, i'd like to find out the source of the information leak and how your name and number have been distributed to the 'Doctors'

- do the calls always come on your landline
    - if so, is it a landline from a particular service provider or all sp's?
    - are the calls to people that are with a particular ISP or all ISP's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    - do the calls always come on your landline
    - if so, is it a landline from a particular service provider or all sp's?
    - are the calls to people that are with a particular ISP or all ISP's?
    Always on the Landline, around Midday +/- 2 hours and I'm on UPC. Must have gotten close to 15 calls from them in the last month.

Eircom line for me. Midday. Soon to be cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I want them to call me so i can make ****e outa them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm Eircom for the phone as well and as well as getting the calls around midday like everyone else, I also get them around 7pm too.

I don't know are they just picking numbers at random out of the phone book and chancing their arm or whether they've managed to get their hands on the accounts of some provider or seller. My broadband is with UPC but my Dad is with Eircom so if they are getting our numbers from a list, I don't think it's from the internet supplier (unless of course they've hacked into both companies!). The only common link is that at some stage (in my case about 10 years ago) we both bought computers off Dell.

Dell are everywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dell connection here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXbusybeeXx

Iv no idea if this is being posted in the right place so im sorry in advance if it is not!

Basically i got the weirdest phone call yesterday morning from someone claiming to be from dell. She said that she was looking at my system and has seen that i have harmful infections on my laptop that is slowly destroying my hard drive and affecting all of my neighbours computers everytime i log onto a web page or send an email.

I explained to her that i run anti virus updates all the time and had ran one on tuesday and everything was clear. At this point she got really annoyed and said it wont show up on my anti virus updates because its coming through as an infection in my junk files??

I asked how I could fix this and she said to get my laptop and she would talk me through step by step how to get rid of them. I told her i was on my way to work and had no time, she got really annoyed again and told me to put my dad back on the phone (who had originally answered the phone because she rang my house) and he could do it. I told her he was also going to work she then got quite frustrated and said she would call back on Monday because i needed to do this.

Now i have no clue about what she was talking about but when i told friends they said it could have been a scam to hack my laptop or potentially make me upload a virus?

I am just wondering does anyone know if this would be something dell would do or was i been scammed? I have had the laptop for 2 years and have never heard a peep from them before, so i just thought it was all a bit suss.. I haven't had a minute to call dell themselves to ask them about this as i work all day.

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it wasn't dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Don't go there. Educate your dad too. They just want you to visit some site that will install trojans/keyloggers/spyware on your PC. Social engineering at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Think it could be related to this insert Dell for Micrsoft

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056042272

If they ring back on Monday tell them you run Linux :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Sounds similar to the "online pc doctor" stories, lots of in in computers thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Wouldn't it be great if Bill Gates gave this kind of a back up....we'd all feel sooooo valued and loved:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 xXbusybeeXx

Thanks everyone!

Im just completely clueless about technology so wasn't really sure what was going on. She spoke with an foreign accent and the fact that they had our surname and home number just kinda freaked me out a bit!

Thanks everyone!

Im just completely clueless about technology so wasn't really sure what was going on. She spoke with an foreign accent and the fact that they had our surname and home number just kinda freaked me out a bit!

Hang up immediately when you get these kind of calls or tell them you don't have a computer.

copacetic wrote: »
    it wasn't dell.

How do you know that for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

How do you know that for sure?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just to add to this:
    I've been onto Dell tech support in the last few days. About 15 minutes after hanging up with them last Monday I got a call back from this bs.

So are the guys working in Dell India giving out phone numbers?

Thinking about it now, I had to correct the phone number on my second call as they had left the Dublin area code out from between the 353 and my house number so maybe fake numbers are the way to go with Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭picorette

Just received my PC doctor call from Indian Gary. Fortunately, I had read this post recently & he hung up when I hesitated to answer each question.

They are going through the Eircom phone directory as my home phone is listed in the name he asked for (not mine). Also the Caller ID came up with a Latvian mobile number 00371 6610 6528 if any body knows a way to track them down through that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Indian guy called Sam called me, talked of virus, said he needed to fix it via remote access, just buy our ......
    I did some research on it and found out that the same scam was in Australia a few years ago, got caught so it's being tried here now.
    Funny thing is he called back the following day thinking I was someone else, so I told him I didn't have a computer. He hung up then.

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/presspass/post/Microsoft-issues-warning-on-phone-scam

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Isobar

Just got a call on this scam. They claimed there is errors and malicious software on my computer and they were going to run me through how to remove them. The Indian girl on the phone said she was calling from Grey Bit Cybertech. She claimed they were based in Dame St, Dublin but couldn't give me a phone number for them, so she passed me on to her supervisor (another Indian). He couldn't give me a phone number either, but passed me back to the original girl who had found a phone number for them... it was 353 1 442 9562. I found it funny that when she gave me the number she had to include the 353 bit as we are both supposed to be in Ireland!!

I was given the number 01-4880689 Virtual PC Doctor. They said their office was on North Earl Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I got a call from these before 8 am this morning,I was asleep so I'm not sure of the exact time. I sincerely hope they won't make it a regular occurrence.

The number was showing as "unavailable" on my phone.

Advertisement