Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Just had a 50min chat with steve, lovely fellow, let me make tea, answer the door a couple of times, take a mobile call... Could't have been more obliging...

Get to speak with his supervisor and a technical technician..

Saw some very scary errors on my computer too.. Glade they called, was going to be a boring morning otherwise.. They also kept my grandad company during the cold snap, he loves a good old chat... The only thing was they knew my name but had my address wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

RT66 wrote: »

Wouldn't worry too much about them getting my bank details as it's empty sinced I loaned all of my money to a Nigerian prince.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Yep! just got a call from an indian sounding guy about my windows problem. I'm down 06- way in the phonebook so I suppose the'yre blitzing this area now. I reported it to the NCA. I could see though how they could catch out some unsuspecting folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

rymus wrote: »
    this happened to a guy I know today. He recorded the call and kept them on the line for just shy of an hour. It's a long listen, but it's worth it.

http://soundcloud.com/dmphoto/support-call

That is brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

they just called me again. this time on request he told me my name, and my address, exactly as they are in the phone book. no other place.

i got bored faster today and after a while of me going "uhuh.. hmm.." and stuff while making coffee just said "look this is rubbish, your business is dishonest, and a lot of people here know about you now so just.. be gone and don't bother me any more"

and he just persisted unphased "but sir you could have a major computer crash in a few days! the warnings are very serious " etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Just got one to about vindows! lol

Cnuts..

I got a name, address and phone no..

Rickey williams/ 50 dame St.. Dublin 2

and 014429630... Had the fcker on the phone for 30 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

FYI, there is an article in todays star about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } As my earlier post on this subject, and having now received three calls from the Indian gentleman representing Microsoft (!!) I have pasted the following into MS Word and saved it on my desktop. I have speech recognition turned on, so when I received the last call I simply selected the message and held the phone close to the speakers on my computer, then pressed "speech".

There is almost some malicious pleasure in playing an automated Microsoft voice at their so-called representative:D

You have called the anti-phishing number of International Computer Security plc. This is one of ten thousand such numbers we maintain world wide. You call has been recorded and your IP address has been traced to origin. The recording and the IP address have now been forwarded automatically to Interpol. Thank you for calling ICS

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

I listened to part of the recording of this dweebs voice. He was well up on the phonetic alphabet "W as in Viskey", "E as in Echo" etc. until he came to "I" that was "Indiana" - Don't mention India

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Turtles Run

They are some snnnnnnnakes!!! Indian/Pakistani sounding man seemed genuine at the start but once I got suspicious and started asking him to verify who he was and how he got my number/acc he kept on changing the subject! there was a 2 second delay which was a giveaway that he was ringing from a foreign country and not "Dame Street Dublin" as he said to me on the phone!

I posted the below link on my facebook to let all my friend know! http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/warning-over-cybercrime-scam-485504.html

Below is the comment I posted earlier before I found this thread!!

First time poster here and my question is the main reason why I set up my boards acc to be fully honest!

I received a call this morning on my house phone from a person claiming to be from the windows technical support team telling me that my home computer is downloading harmful files and that I am not aware of this and he was trying to get me to download teamviewer which he said he could help me address these problems by him accessing and taking control of my computer once I downloaded the software. I was very skeptical as I have heard horror stories in the past of people getting phone calls and leaving people take control of there computers.

I asked him a few question like can you prove you are who u say you are and all he could give me was the end of the CLSID number once I ran " cmd"

I also asked him where his office was and he said Dame street……

If any of ye can help me and tell me if this sounded like a genuine call I would appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

had great craic with one of these lads today...

'Andy' called me up telling me I had an imminent computer crash coming my way...smelled a rat straight away but had answered the phone in my 'country bumpkin' accent so decided to see how far I could string him along.

Pretended to get very upset when he told me my compoooter was going to slow down (kept asking him what the feck would happen if my compoooter exploded)

He asked me to calm down and take a few deep breaths which I duly did and then proceeded to tell him that the compooter was opening up the Interweb and that was mad altogether and what did he think of the whole interweb thingy. That went on for a while

I then had him spelling out teamviewer.com to me 3 or 4 times....asking him how many w's were in www...was it 4 or 3....and why wasn't it working when i spelled .kom etc etc.

He was pretty patient all the way through while I told him that the teamviewer website had a fine picture of a woman on it and then started on about the weather and how the snow was doing awful stuff withe the phone reception before hanging up....

and then!!

he had the cheek to call me straight back and give out to ME for wasting HIS time...prick..:) but certainly brightened up my snowbound day!...hope he calls again tomorrow!

I've had loads of calls from these guys in the last few months. They don't seem to give up. I've told them i know what they're up to, strung them along, took the piss out of them several times, hung up on them many many times, threatened to get the police onto them, and various other tactics, and nothing worked. Once they got right beligerant and even started ripping the piss out of me after i told them to go and f*ck themselves.

Twice this morning i've given them "hold on while i go and switch on my computer" and then left them on the line and gone off and had a cup of tea or got back to whatever i was doing before they called. They were waiting for 20 mins both times before i came back and hung up the phone without speaking.

They haven't called back a third time, so i have a feeling i've hit on my preferred tactic for dealing with them. Maybe if i waste their time instead of them wasting mine they'll just give up and strike me off their list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 juan iberia

Got 4 calls over the past 2 days from these scam merchants ... persistent buggers and quite aggressive... obviously targeting Dublin at the moment ... left him hanging on the phone for about 10 minutes today ... also asked him lots of questions and he kept contradicting himself which was mildly amusing ... at one point he ran off to ask his supervisor for advice! ... it's all a bit pathetic really ... they're sitting in s sweatshop in India somewhere ...

Got 4 calls over the past 2 days from these scam merchants ... persistent buggers and quite aggressive... obviously targeting Dublin at the moment ...

Yep definitely, me too. It's disgraceful that none of the telecom companies have a proper malicious calls service where you can just block these people from calling you. I got the same "sorry, there's nothing we can do" speech from 3 of them over the last 12 months. Pathetic.

I guess it's just up to people to be aware and use their heads when these arseholes get on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A former work mate of mine an oap spent an hour talking to them.. I felt sorry for the indian guy as my workmate hasn't a clue about computers but can talk for Ireland.

sweetangel3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Got the phone call today it all got a bit vexed when I told them I didn't have a "my computer" on the pc I just had "my arse". Nice to keep them talking for 20 minutes so. The Irish vocabulary can apparently be quite confusing, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Maxpv

I'm one of the unlucky ones who didn't get a call from these :D

I decided instead to hope behind a proxy and make them call and email the gards and waste the guys time.

07:21:23 Thank you for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly...
    07:21:50 Operator Prabhat joined the chat
    07:22:13 Adam: Hello, I had received a phone call from your company, but the line was bad and it went dead
    07:22:33 Prabhat: Hello
    , Thank you for contacting Online PC Care Support Desk.
    07:23:08 Prabhat: How may i help you?
    07:23:48 Adam: Hello, I had got a phone call from this website and the line went dead, I'm just wondering what is wrong with my pc?
    07:24:04 Adam: I was told I had some sort of problems, but I didn't get enough details
    07:24:29 Prabhat: dont worry please provide me your phone no... we will call you
    07:24:53 Adam: phone number is +353 91 521333
    07:25:05 Prabhat: Thank you for your details
    07:25:24 Adam: What time will you be calling at?
    07:25:39 Prabhat: well are you registered withn our company?
    07:26:07 Adam: No, the phone went dead before I could get more details
    07:26:17 Adam: I just want the problems gone
    07:27:18 Prabhat: well please open your internet page
    07:27:59 Adam: Jesus, slow down, I'm not a computer genius, can you guide me through it?
    07:28:15 Prabhat: yes ofcourse
    07:29:09 Adam: so what do i need to do?
    07:29:22 Prabhat: I need to connect your computer now
    07:29:36 Prabhat: Please open your internet page
    07:29:52 Adam: how do I open my internet page?
    07:30:29 Prabhat: double left click on internet explorer
    07:30:43 Adam: is that near the any key?
    07:31:31 Prabhat: look at the screen..can you find any icon with a blue 'e' icon?
    07:31:41 Adam: yes
    07:31:59 Prabhat: Please double click on that
    07:32:17 Adam: with what button?
    07:32:27 Prabhat: left click
    07:32:37 Adam: the mouse?
    07:32:44 Prabhat: yes
    07:32:58 Adam: ohh, I see, 1second
    07:33:05 Prabhat: ok
    07:33:56 Adam: ok, now what?
    07:34:32 Prabhat: well now open our webpage..from where you started the chat
    07:34:53 Prabhat: and click on remote support
    07:34:54 Adam: you mean meatspin.com?
    07:35:23 Prabhat: no www.sochelpline.com
    07:37:32 Prabhat: now click on remote support
    07:38:02 Adam: where is that? under the google logo?
    07:39:00 Prabhat: no just beside that chat link
    07:39:32 Adam: this is all I see
    07:39:37 Adam: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6161691.stm
    07:39:44 Adam: I see no remote support
    07:40:04 Prabhat: yes
    07:40:41 Adam: Do I need to plug in the computer?
    07:41:29 Prabhat: your computer is already on i believe....as you are chating with me
    07:41:46 Adam: thats impossible, there is a power outage
    07:42:22 Prabhat: what do you mean...your computer is on right
    07:42:33 Adam: I don't own a computer
    07:43:04 Prabhat: yes ...do you have any email address?
    07:43:16 Adam: yes
    07:43:40 Prabhat: do you know how to open your email account?
    07:44:02 Adam: yes i can do that
    07:44:58 Adam: do you want me to open my email account?
    07:45:00 Prabhat: now please wait..we will sent you a link to your email account..please provide me your email address
    07:46:52 Adam: gpsu@garda.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

What's their website?!
    The people at scambaiting / 419 eater would love this kinda stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

These clowns seem to have taken a break for Christmas. I haven't had a call in over a week now which is a record for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's been a couple of months for me now. Was hit hard for a month or so, then it's died down and now it's stopped.....for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnny25clare

Had a call from this crowd about a month back let him finish off his little speech

Me: What kind of operating system am i running

Mr MS : Sir i am a certified microsoft technician and i can see you have many viruses on your PC i can help you remove them

Me : If so you would be able to see what operating system i am running

Mr MS : Sir i am just trying to help you

Me : So tell me what operating system i am running is it XP Vista or Seven

Mr MS : Sir can you please let me help you

Me : Ok i will tell you how you can help me i am a certified computer technician and what you are saying to me is total B*llsh*t i am running linux the last i heard that does not fall into any windows catagory can you clear that one up for me

Mr MS : Uhhh ( Hung Up )

I have not heard back from them since but cant wait for them to call again i want to play with them some more

Ps living in clare Running all custom built PCs And a custom built laptop running everything from windows to linux to mac on an eircom line but using pure telecom

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

Had a call from this crowd about a month back let him finish off his little speech

Me: What kind of operating system am i running

Mr MS : Sir i am a certified microsoft technician and i can see you have many viruses on your PC i can help you remove them

Me : If so you would be able to see what operating system i am running

Mr MS : Sir i am just trying to help you

Me : So tell me what operating system i am running is it XP Vista or Seven

Mr MS : Sir can you please let me help you

Me : Ok i will tell you how you can help me i am a certified computer technician and what you are saying to me is total B*llsh*t i am running linux the last i heard that does not fall into any windows catagory can you clear that one up for me

Mr MS : Uhhh ( Hung Up )

I have not heard back from them since but cant wait for them to call again i want to play with them some more

Ps living in clare Running all custom built PCs And a custom built laptop running everything from windows to linux to mac on an eircom line but using pure telecom
    haha love it i got the call before you would wanna be stupid to hand over your credit card details to these fools but i guess theres people out there panic and don't think and do it worrying about the virus on there pc but i love your answer you gave to him how are these getting away with ringing people and doin this,i got this call a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Ok Folks
    An in-law just rang to say he fell for this
    Not sure to what extent til I see him but would love any advice what he nneds to do about some program downloaded

know update AV, antiMalware etc

But wondering anything else specifically

I trawled thro a lot of posts - but god there are a lot and not many dealing with what to do if fell for

Some suggest fresh install - but would that really be necessary

any healp appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Ok Folks
    Not sure to what extent til I see him but would love any advice what he nneds to do about some program downloaded

I trawled thro a lot of posts - but god there are a lot and not many dealing with what to do if fell for

any healp appreciated

Yes, it's necessary if the computer is to be trusted again. They're not using malware. They're using legitimate apps which won't get picked up by AV software. Once in, there's no way to easily know what changes/scripts they may have run to allow continued access.
    In general, anyone dumb enough to fall for this will not have the skills to fix it. Anyone who has the skills probably has better things to do with their time. A fresh install is a fair compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

Ugh, they woke me up ringing this morning, I was too tired to waste their time. Next time, I promise I'll stay on the phone for an hour!

They've been ringing since about the time the world cup started, you think they'd get the message!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

my dad just got a call a few minutes ago from some foreigner telling him the computer downloaded something bad and he'd talk him through 'fixing it'. He asked him to turn the computer on and go online, and hung up the second my dad said he'd gone online. This is the first I've heard of these guys, but I'm assuming that there's noway any access can be gained as simple as that! Right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ok Folks

any healp appreciated

As RT66 said, a full reinstall (and format) is the only safe solution as any macros etc that they have slipped in will be almost certainly be invisible to you. It is also possible that they have slipped in a keystroke mapping application so they can then follow everything he does and record it.

Even more importantly, if he gave them any credit or debit card numbers (and with some people they have asked for them apparently), then he should notify his bank immediately. Even if he didn't give them any numbers, but has his bank details on his computer (on-line banking passwords etc) then he should still warn his bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

My mam got a call from these guys earlier while I was away. Luckily my brother was there so he got the phone off my mam who hasn't got a clue about computers and might have actually done what this guy said.

My brother kept him on the phone for a few minutes, he knew he was a scammer so he was just taking the piss with him. He told my brother to go to start-run and type "prefetch hackware" Anyone know what that does? We're not sure, but needless to say my brother didn't do it (he wasn't even using windows) and hung up soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I just had a call from them too. I played along for a while as they asked me to open eventwr, open c:\windows\inf (I was informed that's all bad hacker stuff in there) and then open eventvwr again (to count all the yellow and red warnings!). At this point I may have lost my patience and sounded like I knew something about computers because they hung up.

Advertisement