Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Just got 2 calls today and 2 yesterday to my parents house in south Dublin.

Its definitely a massive operation. I'd say they're cleaning up. Imagine the amount of ill informed non tech people out there going for this.

Eircom should be on to this massive fraud and sort it with interpol or whomever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Oh i'd love a call from these guys. How are these people getting your numbers? Not once in the the last 15 or so years ive had a mobile phone have i ever had a sales or scam phone call. I feel really left out :(

I'd like to know that actually. FWIW they called me on my UPC landline that is only a couple of months old, I've never given the number out anywhere. Its possible they're just randomly trying numbers in a given range for a known area code.

I really hope they call back. Last time I wasted 20 minutes of their time before telling them I was using a Mac. Next time I'm gonna insist that I've detected a virus on HIS computer and he needs to pay me €150 to fix it :pac:

On a serious note, there's real evidence that this type of thing is on the rise and is becoming a preferred activity for cybercriminals. Read the section on trust exploitation: http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=10471

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I must admit if you get a call when you are at home and bored it can be great fun. I had one about 2 months ago but hadn't heard about the scam at the time so i just hung up, however i'd be delighted to receive another from these feckers some lazy Saturday afternoon and just talk and talk and talk and talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

By answering the call, is there anyway you can get charged for it? I have heard of this happening before.

I never get these calls, it would be such a laugh to lead them and then f*** them out of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the biggest insult you can give to someone from India? If it was a couple of skangers you could say "Your ma" or something so I'd love to know the Indian equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

my partners mother got caught out by these scammers today , saying she had a virus and they gave an address 49/50 dame street , with a 1212 number , she's 64 and not computer literate so just assumed they were legit , she gave them her credit number and they took €140 + vat , i feel so bad for her as she doesnt see the bad in anybody , she did get some info off them , apparently there company is called grey bites , now i rang the bank credit card department and they said the marchant is called digital river and there apparently based in Luxemburg well thats what the bank said.

is there anyway i can notify them about this ( the merchant ) and also email grey bytes who are based in kolkata which is in india.

she willingly gave out her details , doesnt mean its right , so the bank said its not fraud , i mean WTF do we pay these clowns insurance for ???

any help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Yep definitely from India. They called again and I just played the Pakistani national down the phone and it really pissed him off. For your own copy just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9liEq--Xw

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

I got a call there on the house phone and told them I got rid of the PC and went dead :) - I'm thinking we should get them blocked from Ireland and how the f*** they get our phone numbers???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Had a call this morning.
    Got him to spend about 5mins answering my questions while he kept trying to repeat from his script 'you know the way you get an error message on your PC and you click send or don't send'.
    He (Sam Wilson) hung up when I asked him to read out their data privacy policy ;).

Jez they are up to something here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

What's the biggest insult you can give to someone from India? If it was a couple of skangers you could say "Your ma" or something so I'd love to know the Indian equivalent.

The preferred insult in India is 'sister ****er'. He won't like that one bit.

I said that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

apparently there company is called grey bites , now i rang the bank credit card department and they said the marchant is called digital river and there apparently based in Luxemburg well thats what the bank said.

is there anyway i can notify them about this ( the merchant ) and also email grey bytes who are based in kolkata which is in india.

This appears to be the GreyBytes you're looking for - they use esellerate.net (Digital River) as their payment processor. There's a Dublin phone number on their front page.

, she gave them her credit number and they took €140 + vat ,

€140 is probably more than a week's salary for the average Indian so if they rang 1,000 people and got abuse or strung along from people like us who know what they're up to but still got that one hit, I'd say they'd consider that a successful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Received the phone call today, just hung up after she introduced herself.

I previously believed this scan was limited to eircom customers but I'm with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Has anyone heard of www.showmypc.com I was daft enough to go that far with one of these guys on the phone and he directed me to this website but when I opened this site and it showed a message saying "share my password" I told him no way !!!!!... Now Im worried Ive let them in anyway by goin that far, I have changed my password on my computer the second I hung up the phone....Any ideas guys ???????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I must admit if you get a call when you are at home and bored it can be great fun. I had one about 2 months ago but hadn't heard about the scam at the time so i just hung up, however i'd be delighted to receive another from these feckers some lazy Saturday afternoon and just talk and talk and talk and talk...

We usually get a call from a similar bunch of scammers about once a month. Either just put the phone down on them once we realise who they are, but we do get business calls from India and such. But if it's a quiet day we may chat with them for a while. I've had arguments with one of them who acused me of liing about running Linux, I was actually making a cup of coffee at the time. Another call to a colleague resulting in him getting asked if he wanted to marry the scammer woman that was calling up. Every thing she asked him to do on the PC he just started asking her what her real name was, her date of birth, what school she went to, passport number.

Got a good 10 minutes entertainment out of it, and the scammer was happily playing along I think, was probably just happy to have a different type of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

james098 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of www.showmypc.com I was daft enough to go that far with one of these guys on the phone and he directed me to this website but when I opened this site and it showed a message saying "share my password" I told him no way !!!!!... Now Im worried Ive let them in anyway by goin that far, I have changed my password on my computer the second I hung up the phone....Any ideas guys ???????

I think a web site entitled "showmypc" might arouse a little suspicion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

ART6 wrote: »
    It did thats why Im asking the question not all of us are that in the know hence ask people advice not smart comments there are threads for that kk

No weird calls today even my Mam said we didnt, so they got the message!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Keep on topic and if you can be helpful why post. there are people of all technical abilities out there.

C

No weird calls today even my Mam said we didnt, so they got the message!!!

They'll be back......

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

Have a look at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1362347 - SurfMonkey from Sydney has a real interesting post on this
    subject. He posted it Dec. last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

james098 wrote: »
    It did thats why Im asking the question not all of us are that in the know hence ask people advice not smart comments there are threads for that kk

I wasn't trying to be smart since it was obvious that the site name had aroused your suspicions too. If you took my comment in the way you seem to have had then I apologise. It wasn't my intention.

I just couldn't understand why a scammer (if that's what they are) would ever use such a site name since, given the publicity about Internet scams, it would hardly inspire confidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just couldn't understand why a scammer (if that's what they are) would ever use such a site name since, given the publicity about Internet scams, it would hardly inspire confidence.

The publicity is only relevant to those of us that know about such things anyway, to their targets one website name is much the same as another and al just as confusing...unless the URL was "Imabouttostealyourcreditcardnumbers.com" or similar then they wouldn't notice.

Any publicity about internet scams on the news will just float over the heads of most of the people that get caught by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 analogue_070

Got another call this morning. Are these guys thick? They have already got money from me, and 'guaranteed' my immunity from their fake viruses for four years or something. Now I admit I was stupid to be taken in the first time, but I'm really not that stupid that they can con me time and time again. Anyhow, I used a few expletives, beginning wtth the letter 'f' and followed by 'off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 matildda

Is it possible the information these scammers have is from internet providers? Three households in locality got calls today and all fairly new customers to the national broadband provider Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Anyone know how to actually stop them from calling? They never get far with me but it's no fun stringing them along anymore.

I'm thinking I'll just have to speak in Irish from now on, "“Ciúnas bóthar cailín bainne”

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i got another call from these guys today. first time was about 4 months ago.

told him to stop calling me and have forwarded his ip onto the cyber police ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 juan iberia

I'm in Dublin ... Got another call yesterday (Weds) ... first call was about two months ago ... today I kept "john" on the phone for about ten minutes by playing dumb, saying I was having trouble starting up my computer etc ... I kept asking him to hold on for a minute while I checked plugs etc ... at one point I asked how someone who was called John had such poor English and a heavy Indian accent ... he denied he was calling from India ... said he was in Sydney ... I asked for his supervisor .... he came on and was quite aggressive ... I asked why he was degrading the image of India by running a scam like this ... this was his answer : "because enough stupid people like you answer us" ... nice guy ... I told him I was on a day off and was happy to talk to him all day, since he was paying ... he hung up ...

Advertisement