Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Coming to a Mac near you soon, according to The register

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

My dad fell for this scam on the family computer a few weeks ago. He got to the stage of giving them the remote access. When they asked him for money, he told them that he would have to talk to me as I look after the Nortons security on the computer. With that, they hung up. I am trying to prevent them being able to phish. Is it sufficient to password protect the administrator account and disable Remote access to stop them getting access and seeing things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ally Dick wrote: »
    My dad fell for this scam on the family computer a few weeks ago. He got to the stage of giving them the remote access. When they asked him for money, he told them that he would have to talk to me as I look after the Nortons security on the computer. With that, they hung up. I am trying to prevent them being able to phish. Is it sufficient to password protect the administrator account and disable Remote access to stop them getting access and seeing things?

To be on the safe side you'd better re-install windows (make sure you back up all your stuff first). Disabling the remote access is all well and good but you've no way of knowing what spyware or other crap they've put on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

They rang me again twice today, does anybody have any ideas how to stop these scammers ringing me?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

sgb- Just hang up and warn anybody else in the house that answers the
    phone to do the same. If you are in the phonebook you are on the National Data Base if you are not they rang a random number. Either way
    unless you can change your phone nr. they will ring again & again so, just hang up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joryn

To be on the safe side you'd better re-install windows (make sure you back up all your stuff first). Disabling the remote access is all well and good but you've no way of knowing what spyware or other crap they've put on your computer.

After all this time there isn't a better way to guarantee that a computer is free and clear? Hasn't anyone done a thorough scan after one of these jokers got access to a PC and determined if they were in fact installing a trojan/backdoor/keylogger?

As safe as it is to just reinstall the OS it can be a big waste of time if unnecessary. Has anyone found a better way to be Sure that their computer is "safe".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I had to 'fix' my uncles computer after he got a call like this a couple of weeks ago and they were using LogMeIn which is legitimate remote access software, so presumably they have some backdoor access method (hey now that's illegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Email I received today
    "Dear Client,

I wanted to bring this to your attention as we have received a number of calls from our clients during the past few weeks regarding a scam, where they receive a telephone call from persons claiming to be from Microsoft, or working on behalf of Microsoft, to tell them they have a virus on their computer.

Details of the Scam:
    Clients receive a cold call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and told there is a problem with their computer and offered help to solve the computer problems.
    Once the caller has gained the consumer’s trust, they ask consumers to log onto a website to download a file to help solve the problem.
    They then ask for credit card details for a package which will fix the virus. They also potentially attempt to steal from the person by accessing personal information on their computer.
    In addition to gaining access to your personal details, they can also infect your computer with damaging viruses and spyware.
    GDK takes the privacy and security of our clients personal information very seriously. We are advising customers to treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism and not to provide any personal information to anyone over the phone or online.
    Anyone who receives an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft should hang up.
    We can assure you that Microsoft does not make these kind of calls.

Microsoft have been working closely with the Irish authorities including An Gardai Siochana, the Data Protection Commissioner, ComReg to warn the public and investigate the perpetrators.

We would like to ask you for your help in getting this message out to your employees, your families and your customers and ask them to be vigilant about unsolicited calls"

So basically - report the phone number [if available] to the Guards. Tell them you'll be doing so and I assure you they won't phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

not sure if this has been said yet but it ties in with the cc scams in the uk coming from india , they are getting the info from data bases manned by indian call centers , i watched a documentary about it and there were LOADS of scam artists selling tens of thousands of email/phone number/name and cc details in batch lots , people working for the call centers ( not just currys and pc world !! ) but medical companys , insurance companys credit card companys and on and on , downloading the info and selling it on , so your info is passed around and could be used for loads of types of scams , this is having the backlash of blue chip companys pulling out of indian call centers for this very reason , so no work for indian call centers :-) , it targets the old and not so pc savvy and in my book anyone who targets the old gets everything they:mad: deserve ... its getting to the point where if signing up for extended warranty / call centre help or tech support you should ask where the centre is based , if india or another country where scams are coming from just say no thanks , its not being racist its being clever , and to make the point have you noticed that most ads that are selling support now go out of their way to say " not a indian call centre " all that can be done is to warn everyone who you think might fall for this , until the next scam that is , on another note chip and pin atm and credit cards can now be cloned and used (only) in POS card readers (NOT ATM MACHINES) , and to make it worse the scam works by telling the bank that a pin number was used so no comeback for the owner , ALWAYS keep line of sight on your card , you have been warned :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

RT66 wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from. However, if they don't directly claim to be from Microsoft, and they show you "problems" with your computer by getting you to look at the event log, they haven't done anything illegal. If, following on from that they get you to agree to pay for their "service" (regardless of how useless it might be) and they actually deliver it at the agreed price, then I can't see how any conviction could be obtained. At that stage it's just a hard sell, something which many local companies have been at for years.
    It's where they state as fact something which is demonstrably untrue that they stray into criminal activity. Stating that they are from Microsoft is an obvious one. Stating that the "problems" in the event log are in fact viruses is another example.
    It's a thin line at times.

True enough. Incompetance isn't generally illegal I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 denkelleher

The sods just called me a few moments ago. IMO from an indian call centre going by the accent and the background noise. I wanted to string them along but I think they cottoned on when I sounded as if I knew something about viruses etc. (I think I asked if it was a virus problem or a malware problem...right....right...etc)..... I was mysteriously cut off and I am anxiously awaiting their call back.:eek:

Seriously, these sods prey on peoples fears of computer fraud by perpetrating the very same fraud. Fu#$%rs should be shut down by fair means or foul.

I can see how it can work as my wife happened to pick up the last time they called a few months back. She had to presence of mind to say that I deal with the computers in the house and acted dumb when they suggested she turn on the PC and they would 'guide' her through the steps to clean off the virus. But still she was convinced for a time until i told her of the scams going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I had informed my wife after the call I got and she received one at the beginning of the week, so she went through the how did you get my name, which company are you calling from route. When they realised they weren't getting any money from her they were quite abusive and asked what size her [EMAIL="v@gin"]v@gin[/EMAIL]@ was??????
    There's a referee's whistle by the phone for the next call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Finally someone is taking notice, got this email from microsoft this morning & to contact the National Consumer Agency if it happens again.

Dear ******

Microsoft Ireland would like to warn you of a scam that is currently active in the Irish marketplace. Irish consumers are receiving telephone calls from persons claiming to be from Microsoft, or working on behalf of Microsoft, to tell them they have a virus on their computer.

Details of the Scam:

• Consumers are cold called from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and told there is a problem with their computer and offered help to solve the computer problems.
    • Once the caller has gained the consumer’s trust, they ask consumers to log onto a website to download a file to help solve the problem.
    • They then ask for credit card details for a package which will fix the virus. They also potentially attempt to steal from the person by accessing personal information on their computer. In addition to gaining access to your personal details, they can also infect your computer with damaging viruses and spyware.

Microsoft takes the privacy and security of our customers and partners personal information very seriously. We are advising customers to treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism and not to provide any personal information to anyone over the phone or online. Anyone who receives an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft should hang up. We can assure you Microsoft does not make these kinds of calls.

We have been working closely with the Irish authorities including An Gardai Siochana, the Data Protection Commissioner, ComReg and the National Consumer Agency to warn the public and investigate the perpetrators.

For more information on this scam and how to protect yourself against this, please click here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/Msname.aspx

Please feel free to report any of these calls to the National Consumer Agency on 1890 432 432 or get further information on www.nca.ie

Yours sincerely,

Paul Rellis
    Managing Director, Microsoft Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Unfortunately all the NCA will do is issue more warnings. As they are in India or wherever, there's nothing the NCA can do to stop them.

They just called me and |asked if I was Mrs "boyfriend's surname", I guessed for the purposes of taking a message for him I might as well be "Mrs", when I realised what it was I got terribly excited, we've wanted them to phone for months (we're wicked people). But the line was so bad and my birds kept shrieking in the background so I told him our PCs are Linux (half true) and he said he was sorry to bother me and hung up. Now I regret it. Should have asked him to call back tonight when my boyfriend is home, he'd love a go at them, would be a delightful treat. Does anyone know if they usually call back after being told where to get off?

The number was 0091, India, and the number must have come from the phonebook as we are listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Keshguy wrote: »
    New thing tonight - phone rang & a recorded voice telling me to text my answer to 57777 to a simple question to win a prize. This has to be illegal

If you haven't already done so you should report this to the Data Protection Commissioners and to ComReg.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

They just called me and |asked if I was Mrs "boyfriend's surname", I guessed for the purposes of taking a message for him I might as well be "Mrs", when I realised what it was I got terribly excited, we've wanted them to phone for months (we're wicked people). But the line was so bad and my birds kept shrieking in the background so I told him our PCs are Linux (half true) and he said he was sorry to bother me and hung up. Now I regret it. Should have asked him to call back tonight when my boyfriend is home, he'd love a go at them, would be a delightful treat. Does anyone know if they usually call back after being told where to get off?

The number was 0091, India, and the number must have come from the phonebook as we are listed.

I've been rung dozens of times after being rude to them, stringing them along and keeping them on the phone for ages and threatening to report them to everyone from com.reg. to the FBI but they still ring 3 times this week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Check out a website called 419eaters. It's a website dedicated to stringing these scanners along and sharing the experience, then getting others within the forums to do the same. It's amazing the lengths some of these idiots would go to if they think you're a little stupid with money. Very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

My dad answered the phone there no more than 5 minuets ago. It was a gentleman with a pakistani voice claiming to be from "Windows".

He told my dad to go to a website to download some software. Thankfully my dads laptop was off, the guy said to him he will call back when it was on.

He rang back again (number withheld again) but this time i took the call.

I asked who he was and he spoke really fast and all i heard was he was from a computer department of a company i never heard of.

I asked why does he want the laptop to download software and he could not give me an answer only that "i told you already" (at this point he got very aggressive to the point where we were almost arguing on the phone).

I then asked how did he get the phone number ? (i never gave this particular phone number to any computer company (Dell, Acer, Microsoft, anyone !) ... again he could not give me an answer.

I told him to go shove it.

let this be a warning to ye not to be taking any calls of the sort.

if i had answered the phone first i would've said "We don't own any computers, why are you calling? " but my dad did it !

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

robbie_998 wrote: »

if i had answered the phone first i would've said "We don't own any computers, why are you calling? " but my dad did it !

I've said it before I think if you know it's a scam, then keep them on the phone as long as you can, play along.

For the length of time that you are occupying their attention they are not scaming others out of money.

I know we all have pressures on our time, but even if it is 5 mins, that could stop them making 5 other calls until they get to someone who will fall for their story.

Use your expieriance of windows to flustered them, use the Irish language to flustered them, ask them personal questions, whatever wastes their time.

Cionn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

jarvis wrote: »
    Check out a website called 419eaters. It's a website dedicated to stringing these scanners along and sharing the experience, then getting others within the forums to do the same. It's amazing the lengths some of these idiots would go to if they think you're a little stupid with money. Very funny.

Just finished reading the "I don't know about art etc". scam. your'e right
    verry funny - still have a pain from laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I asked who he was and he spoke really fast and all i heard was he was from a computer department of a company i never heard of.

!

My dad fell for this today - was the company saying they were White Troops/Digital River?

They took €79 from credit card. My dad has cancelled the card just in case and my brother has uninstalled the software etc. Not sure if it cold calling selling a legitimate product or an out and out scam. Does any one know?

The credit card company have more or less washed their hands of it. Have advised Dad to go through the company to get his money back as per the White troops website. If turns out a scam then the credit card company should do a charge back.

I can't believe my dad fell for it but it just shows it is worth their while!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Got call like this just now lol let her go on for a while i knew it was fishy.

She got me confused cause i was like how do you know my name? phone number so on just gave me load bout windows knowing this lol

So anyway she said there are errors and malware problem in your windows which they have picked up.

Made me go to run then type in prefetch malware which is when i stopped lol i of course switched all my external harddrives off long before any of this just incase :P

So ya i searched it while she was talking brought me here and seems yep windows are not looking for me after all :pac:

She brought me to the application section in computer managment on my pc told me to check all the error messages in my log ya theres good few there but she couldnt tell me what they could be first off which again made no sense seeing as there meant be ones who are telling me whats wrong lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

These guys are using Skype, that's why sometimes you get what looks like an Irish number or just a random number. When a user gives them remote access to the computer they install freeware such as AVG and Firefox and clear the Event Log and then look for the fee for all that 'hard work'. Just tell them you've a Linux operating system and they'll hang up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Sempai wrote: »
    These guys are using Skype, that's why sometimes you get what looks like an Irish number or just a random number. When a user gives them remote access to the computer they install freeware such as AVG and Firefox and clear the Event Log and then look for the fee for all that 'hard work'. Just tell them you've a Linux operating system and they'll hang up. :D

why? there's so much fun to be had with them.

ive a virtual box with win 7 and loads of ****e installed just waiting for them to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

Got one awhile ago, knew it was bull within seconds, but played along for a while, persistent little bugger, i can see why people get sucked in. My guy was "Peter" from Microsoft calling from Oregon:rolleyes: (sounded like a cattle mart). Offered me a deal for 130 Euro, then 100, then 80. When i told him i had no "credit card".."what's a credit card" ?? and that i really didn't care about my computer he became very dejected :D. They are swines !!

got one there this morning from "Harry" the lovely 24/7 tech support chap from india.

"GOoooooooood afternooooon sir"

what was weird about this one was he asked by name ! :eek:

" we have detected that the windows computer your using has many many virus's on it. we recommended you allow us to fix it for you "

Myself: " orly ?, i knew the glass screen on my computer was a little dirty but i didn't know it would get sick from it. Thanks for the heads up but i think i'll just let it "sleep" and wake it up when its feeling better. "

Harry: " But sir how is this possible "

Myself: " Don't forget to send him a get well soon card. Bye now "

** CLICK **

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cloud89

If they get in and lock your administrator function how do you get it back, and will that give them access to other computers on my network
    thanks in advance

Cloud89 wrote: »
    If they get in and lock your administrator function how do you get it back, and will that give them access to other computers on my network
    thanks in advance

oh dear.....

start with by disconnecting from the internet... not sure after that myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Cloud89

This was numerous years ago put still have that laptop, not currently on it;).
    Just occurred to me reading this. Have now pulled out battery off the laptop that this function had occurred in. still admin in other laptops do, so hoping all is good

Advertisement