Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pslat

croberts wrote: »
    I work for PC-Doctor, Inc. (www.pc-doctor.com) which is a hardware diagnostics software company used by major PC OEMs. I wanted to make it very clear that the individual making this calls is NOT affiliated in any way with my company or any of its products. We get reports of similar situations so I wanted to ensure everyone was aware that there is no relationship.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on this forum.
    Thank you,
    croberts
    croberts - You might want to consider putting a scam warning on your home page, a pop-up or corner notification would do. There are also methods you can take regarding submitting a complaint against their web site. These scam calls are mostly just an annoyance to those on this site but to your company it is probably costing you business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I just got a call from the so called windows security team. Her knowledge seemed to be very limited and sounded like she was reading from a script. I knew straight away that it was the scam I heard about, which was highlighted on crimecall. I think it was actually the same woman calling. I asked for a contact number and she gave me a fake one. I checked it out on the mobile and the number is dead. I strung her along for 15 minutes and when she heard me phoning the Gardai, she hung up straight away. I've now been on hold with UPC for 12 minutes to report the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

I reported the last call to eircom and the reply i got from them is we can do nothing at all..the guards are aware and so on ... change your number if you want it to stop .... No help whatsoever
    what i wanna know is how they got the numbers at all???...if our number is ex directory and no 3rd party calls? how? ...the pc work they are using is guess work it seems they presume u have a pc.When I caught the last guy he said "you must have pc ......" and got pretty p*ssed off as i dragged the call out ...
    they'll have to get the message if ppl keep each other informed friends neighbours family etc cause there are ppl still getting caught on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Eircom and UPC wouldnt be able to do anything about it.
    I understood they got the numbers from the online phonebook. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. If you're ex-directory and they got your number, you should actualy check the phonebook to see if it isnt in there. Someone could have made a typo and added ya in!!

My granny recently got this call. She barely knows how to turn on her laptop, and she doesnt own a credit card, so I explained everything to her, but luckily enough, like I said, she doesnt own a credit card so at least thats something.

For anyone, who hasnt got one of these calls yet, thats wondering what happens in this call, I wrote down everything and put it up on another site I do be on. Have a look at it here: Microsoft Phone Scam. Can't be arsed typin it again, but it goes into enough detail that you should be able to teach any relatives enough to spot one of these scam phone calls. From what I remember, the potential scam amount is about €150+!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

UPDATE

I got through to UPC who of course were unable to provide any call information. I pointed out that I used to work for Eircom and that I was aware they have the facility to trace the origin number. The technician then admitted that their switch board operators could track the origin number, but that the Gardai would have to make inquiries about the matter.

I called to Coolock Garda station and there was a couple there complaining about the very same scam to the officer at the desk. Turns out that they had been called an hour before me and they went as far as to reset their PC to factory settings. Luckily, they did not give credit card details for €180.

What I found strange was:
    1) this couple live in the same area as me (a 5 minute walk).
    2) They purchased their PC from Harvey Normans in Swords, as did I.
    3) They used the flexi-rent/buy option available at Harvey Normans, as did I. Perhaps they (the criminals) have accessed this data somewhere, because the couple said they were not listed in the phone book.

The officer on duty first declared that no crime had been committed and he couldn't do anything, but take down the details. I pointed out that malware had been uploaded onto the couples computer without their consent, which constitues a crime, in the same way someone sending a virus to a computer is a crime. He went back to the sergeant and returned with a more agreeable view point. After taking my details, he said he would get onto the computer crimes section on Monday to look further into the case.

I think attempted fraud should be considered a crime in the same way attempted murder is considered a crime. Why should the criminal have to succeed in the criminal activity before anything is done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

goz83 wrote: »
    UPDATE

I got through to UPC who of course were unable to provide any call information. I pointed out that I used to work for Eircom and that I was aware they have the facility to trace the origin number. The technician then admitted that their switch board operators could track the origin number, but that the Gardai would have to make inquiries about the matter.

I called to Coolock Garda station and there was a couple there complaining about the very same scam to the officer at the desk. Turns out that they had been called an hour before me and they went as far as to reset their PC to factory settings. Luckily, they did not give credit card details for €180.

3) They used the flexi-rent/buy option available at Harvey Normans, as did I. Perhaps they (the criminals) have accessed this data somewhere, because the couple said they were not listed in the phone book.

The officer on duty first declared that no crime had been committed and he couldn't do anything, but take down the details. I pointed out that malware had been uploaded onto the couples computer without their consent, which constitues a crime, in the same way someone sending a virus to a computer is a crime. He went back to the sergeant and returned with a more agreeable view point. After taking my details, he said he would get onto the computer crimes section on Monday to look further into the case.

I think attempted fraud should be considered a crime in the same way attempted murder is considered a crime. Why should the criminal have to succeed in the criminal activity before anything is done?

Just a couple of things on this.
    Tracing the call origin is probably a waste of time. All these numbers look like landlines, but are numbers allocated to VOIP services. Tracing the origin would simply confirm that the caller is a computer in Calcutta.

It's not strange that you meet near neighbours at your local garda station, nor is it strange that you both bought from a local supplier. The strange part of your story is that your local station had two callers in a row about this issue. How times have changed..

As for how they get the numbers.. They have probably purchased or stolen a database which has been compiled from multiple sources. There's little point in going ex-directory if you're going to give your number to commercial enterprises for warranty/competition/promotional/marketing/whatever reasons, yet that is precisely what a lot of people do.

Malware isn't an issue unless something has changed drastically here. Up until now they simply persuade the mark to grant access through logmein or similar. No malware required, therefore no criminal damage.

Without having more detail about exactly what was said in either of your cases I'd have to say that there is a possibility that the garda's original assessment may have been correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

goz83, did they call you by name? If so they have access to data. When they rang me they knew my name. Otherwise, they ring different areas of
    Dublin using prefixes and when they hook somebody they go into their speil.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

My dad got a call the other day from a man saying he was from "computer genie". They didn't have any personal details, they knew the names of files on the computer and used this as authorisation! my dad isn't very computer savy, i'd say they were naming generic files that are on every windows authorising system.

anyway they said that the computer lisence was running out and he need to renew it to save his data. It was urgent as the comp was going to crash in 30 min. He was hesitant, and luckly didn't give away any info. He then got him to install ammyy admin remote desktop client software. for remote control. Luckly i have a decent firewall installed and my dad noticed the popup warning and immediatly became wary of this software. the guy then got him to open up msdos and tried to get him to do something through this screen. my dad hung up before any thing was changed. i've removed ammyy. The guy was constantly reminging him the computer would crash in the next 30 min, and then he said 15minutes. Tried to fluster people to more access and trust

Beware

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

goz83 wrote: »
    UPDATE

My case above, was a dell comp paid for up front.

Seeing as many of them use generic details, if the companies have access to flexi-rent/buy aggreements they would know alot more details. they would have serial numbers etc. madel numbers etc. but it seems they all have vague details so i doubt they have the aggreements.

It is interesting if people who have a phone line, but have their internet over a 3g modem or a clearwire box, to see if these people have ever been targetted. If not it could be specific to over the line internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Anyone have the number for these as I got a call twice from a number and when I rang it back the prefix was from oz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Got this call today and they claimed to be with UPC
    They stated my PC was causing problems with the UPC hub asked me to run eventvwr
    They asked can you see any errors or warnings
    then it got really cryptic and asked did i have software protection software and that i needed to get some. I asked are you trying to sell me something and the lady (an indian lady ) hung up

Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

Has anyone else found these guys to be getting a bit more tetchy of late? I just asked him why my order for tandoori king prawn massala with pilau rice and nan bread with an onion bhajee starter had not yet arrived after three hours and he threw a complete hissy fit. Terrible service.:mad:

Jimmy444 wrote: »
    Has anyone else found these guys to be getting a bit more tetchy of late? I just asked him why my order for tandoori king prawn massala with pilau rice and nan bread with an onion bhajee starter had not yet arrived after three hours and he threw a complete hissy fit. Terrible service.:mad:
    That's made my morning. Lol alot. The indignity - i am after all a
    thief you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jimmy444 wrote: »

yeah, the last guy I had (about a week ago) told me to shut up when I was asking him a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I got a really angry call a few weeks ago. I said sorry I'm not interested and the caller freaked at me saying "I called to help you sir!!!!" do you have time to listen to me sir?!!! She couldn't believe I didn't want help with viruses on my computer. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I got a phone call from one of these Indian scam artists.

He told me I have a malicious virus on my computer, I told him I have a mac. He hung up!! :pac:

My grandmother who can barely use a computer also got one, nearly led her on :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Interestingly, we got some calls like this recently but I'm in New Zealand. It was the same thing, a call about my Vindows from a guy with an Indian accent. When I answered the phone he said "good morning" and I laughed because it was 9pm or something here - so he knew he couldn't pretend he was in New Zealand too. He corrected himself really quickly and sounded really annoyed at himself. Anyway, both times I told him to stop scamming people and get a real job and hung up after about 20 seconds. Even as I was hanging up I could hear him still talking to me. They called twice and they haven't called since.

What I've found interesting about this thread is that he didn't use mine or my partners names - it seems when they call Ireland they do. I presume they got out details from the Wellington phone book but now I'm wondering were they just calling random numbers, if they didn't have our names.

Both times I called my father-in-law straight away and warned him. He's exactly the kind of person who would fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ruosullivan

I had these guys on yesterday and I’m happy to say that I messed with them for over an hour. I’m no computer genius, but I knew what to do. I’m running W7 ultimate so I started up “Virtual Windows XP” and went through the motions as instructed. They ask you to go to event viewer and basically say anything in red is a virus! I granted this guy access via Logmein rescue (a legitimate piece of software) and as soon as this was done he mumbled something and hung up. They were still connected to I pulled the lan cable…………they rang back immediately and I put it back in. When asked if I had done anything, I said no and that “you’re the one fixing the problems, so fix it…….
    He kept me on the phone this time and I periodically pulled the lan, and when asked if I had done anything, I asked if he was new, and that I doubted is competency as a technician! After about 30 minutes of this, I let him get on with his work, which was solely trying to access www.virtualpcdoctor.com ; however my antivirus software, eset, on the “real” pc wouldn’t let him….hahahaha…… it kept blocking the website and he spent ANOTHER 25 minutes trying to find the antivirus software on the computer, which he couldn't see on the virtual pc!!! I taunted him ala Louis Theroux (calmly and very calculated) and his tone turned to sheer anger……..
    Eventually he used a proxy website to bypass the security and he finally got the website where he tried to sell me 4 years warranty for €292.00, which I agreed to, very happily.
    He then asked me to fill in the application form on their website and input my credit card number, which I told him that I don’t have one…… a debit card? NO…… I’ll send you a cheque, I said……….we don’t accept cheques, he said………… I’ll call to your office with cash, I said………
    Eventually I got the Dublin office number which I rang from my mobile and shockingly, “THIS NUMBER IS NOT IN SERVICE”…. I confronted my friend and he stated “THE NUMBER WON’T BE ACTIVATED UNTIL YOU PAY”…. I asked for a UK number, 00442030263982 was supplied and I rang it………..someone answered “Hello, Virtual PC Doctor, how may I help you?”…………..
    At this stage I got bored, I told this guy in detail what I thought of him, that I had recorded the entire conversation and I will supply it to every radio station in the country and it’ll be on youtube in 20 minutes…. After a few seconds of silence, he hung up………….

Unfortunaley I didn’t, but I had my fun………….you should too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Wasn't granting him access a bit dangerous don't you think? God only knows what kind of crap he could have put on your machine.

I was watching him very carefully and ready to pull the plug perminately at any time.

All he did was install some piece of crap software that said i had hundreds of problems (faked) and then spent the rest of his time trying to access their website to try and get money out of me.

The funny thing was that their were dozens of intances where he should have seen very clearly that it was a virtual computer he was on.... but was so antaganised by my taunts he just wanted me to pay

Despite this, in the virtual xp, he had no access to the real computer or my files so i was confident he couldn;t really do anything.

I fix computers for a living and only 3 months ago was called out to a house where they fell for a nearly identicle scam, when the computer owner refused to pay and hung up, they deleted her pictures folder through a dos command, bypassing the recycle bin.

I managed to get them back though

ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION, HE RANG MY HOME PHONE AND KNEW MY NAME. BY HIS ATTEMPTS TO PRONOUNCE IT, HE HAD THE CORRECT SPELLING (ORGINAL IRISH). THIS DISTURBED ME GREATLY AS I'M NOT LISTED AND VERY VERY RARELY PUT MY HOME PHONE NUMBER DOWN FOR ANYTHING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I’m no computer genius
    I fix computers for a living

Hmmm

ratedR wrote: »
    Hmmm

Trying to be modest:rolleyes:

I thought I wasn't listed also until I looked in the phonebook & there I was full name no initals. What made me look was I had got calls from
    those customer survey outfits - so I was on the National Data Base.

I thought I wasn't listed also until I looked in the phonebook

I also thought i wasn;t listed; however there i am, in black and white

I bet your phone is UPC. Mine is, I asked to be ex dir. but it suited them
    to list it. I rang them fuming & they changed my number - no more Indian
    compooter wizzers.

I bet your phone is UPC. Mine is, I asked to be ex dir.

Exactly the same. Rang them just now and he knew exactly why i had called....... decided not to change the number though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

Today at 1200 I got this call from a guy with an Indian accent advising that my computer was sending out many emails which indicated to them that I must have a virus. I immediately sussed that it was a scam and asked if he was talking about my Windows PC. Once he confirmed that yes indeed he was, I knew for sure it was a scam as I have an Apple Mac. He was quite pushy and rude when I challenged him. Having Googled I found these articles in the Guardian about similar scams:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...a-call-centres
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ls-india-scams

Please beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Lots of posts in this thread have wondered if these scammers are trawling through phone books for numbers, but that doesn't sound like the real explanation to me. I don't know off hand how many numbers are in the Irish phone books, but it must be a few millions in total. Yet the scammers seem to be repeatedly phoning the same numbers (including mine). It would take them years to go through all the numbers in sequence, and doing so at random would not bring up the same numbers repeatedly.

All he did was install some piece of crap software that said i had hundreds of problems (faked) and then spent the rest of his time trying to access their website to try and get money out of me.

If I were you I'd delete the Virtual XP image and restore from backup or reinstall it. Too risky to use if it has been compromised.

• Advertisement

Well, there was certainly something that hi-lighted my number. There
    before Xmas I got a call from a charity in Thomas St. Dublin (they asked
    for me by name) wanting me to sell tickets for them & 2 calls from survey
    crowds also asked for me by name. I got my number changed and now silence.

Advertisement