Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ruosullivan

ART6 wrote: »
    Lots of posts in this thread have wondered if these scammers are trawling through phone books for numbers, but that doesn't sound like the real explanation to me

I think they're going through the phone book by area somehow. I've been called twice and so has my neighbour!!

"co-incidentaly" we're both with UPC............

Well, there was certainly something that hi-lighted my number. There
    before Xmas I got a call from a charity in Thomas St. Dublin (they asked
    for me by name) wanting me to sell tickets for them & 2 calls from survey
    crowds also asked for me by name. I got my number changed and now silence.

Same here.................something fishy going on here! Is their a special scammers phonebook! Are you with UPC???

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

Yep, UPC & I was being blasted with phonecalls from those Indian guys
    sometimes twice per day or the phone flashing missed call when I came in, with some daft nr. showing, 121212 or 011111 or 0123456.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

They probably have a better chance of calling folks who use UPC than Eircom, as the majority would also have broadband indicating some sort of pc / laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Anyone getting these calls ever buy a PC/Laptop in PC world?

Anyone i have heard from, bought at least one in PC world, usually a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

Anyone i have heard from, bought at least one in PC world, usually a few years ago.

Not me, infact i've never bought a PC, only ever built them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not me, infact i've never bought a PC, only ever built them...

Ever buy parts from them? Not one of the people i know are on UPC.

I've bought the odds bits here and there, but never left my details so it's not them.

I've never given my home phone number to anyone except a takeaway or taxi....

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Heard from a friend that they're targeting East Cork, he said the local was on about it. His Mother got a call, they said that the Garda got in touch with them because her computer had a virus. She doesn't have a computer, they hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

that's a crazy accusation, phonebooks do exist and there is numerous ways to obtain phone numbers & I'm not surprised your friends have at one stage or another bought something from PC World, it's the biggest of it's kind in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just got another call from these jokers (third one). This time on my unlisted UPC number. (the other two were on a company paid for eircom line).

However, this time they specifically asked for my wife by name, which they didn't do before. They had her first name, don't know if they had her surname.

We're both named on the UPC account so I don't think it's anything to do with that.

Luckily, my daughter left a whistle on my desk last night & they just got the loudest longest blast of that I could give into the phone. I heard something shouted in indian & they rang off, so hopefully we're now off the list :)

Spoke with my wife after & she said that she was contacted by play.com a short while ago to let her know that their database had been hacked but payment details were not compromised, so it would be interesting to find out if any who received calls were play customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

An old lady got caught by this scam the other day took 200 out of her bank I'm now installing Windows xp as I don't know the damage done to her computer she want to the police they didn't want anything to do with her about it. I. Think its a joke that the police turned her away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm really sad, apparently these guys rang a couple of weeks ago before the rents went on holidays but the mother told them the guy who was in charge of these things was out :(

And i missed a bunch of private numbers over the course of the 2 weeks too.

Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Apparently there is another scam like this out there, but this one works over web browsers. See http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20052203-245.html?tag=nl.e415

Dirty feckers... I warn people the only thing you need to buy every year is a firewall and AntiVirus system is going to make sure your system is going to be up to order. I use a MAC so I'm fine against a lot of that malware sh** but on my dads Windows laptop i use VMWare while surfing the net. So if anything happens just delete the image I have nothing inside the image just FireFox so if anyone got into my image just shot down the image and delete it a use a copyed image o have backed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Cork24 wrote: »
    Dirty feckers... I warn people the only thing you need to buy every year is a firewall and AntiVirus system is going to make sure your system is going to be up to order...

I assure you that buying Anti-virus is waste of money plus they are so bling-bling heavy made and slowing down overall Windows system performance. Me and my relatives are using only free light weight anti-virus solutions and never got problems in past 12 yrs. As long as you use common sense and know what are you doing online and what pages are you surfing.

Firewall could be useful to block unwanted access to your computer but again, there is always few free options which are working as fine as those costing 60eur yearly. Also, there is built-in firewall in most nowadays modems/routers.

Phone scams related to PC support- just ignore them people! Unless it's your company PC support and you are using company laptop AND you reported the problem at first place.
    I can't believe somebody is giving them bastards remote access.. :eek:

Norton don't slow the computer down yes pre 2010 slowed the computer down big time. But into days world even the home pc is all about speed so everything need to be better and lighter. But unlike Windows so love making people computer run like win 98 pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Feckers keep ringing and I keep missing them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

A few years ago, but I didn't have a land line back then.

I got this call more than once, asking if this was "Mrs. Boyfriend's Surname". He's only lived here three years, we got our landline about six months ago and we appear in the phone book under his name. Neither of us has ever bought anything from PC World. I bought a PC from Dell about five years ago, his PC is home built. They got us from the phone book (We are with Eircom) without doubt. We appear there, if we search for it online.

I only had the opportunity to answer the call once, but the line was bad and my pet birds were yelling, so I told him we ran Linux and he hung up. The other calls are missed calls from India. (The first call also showed a prefix from India). Now that my boyfriend works from home, he's anticipating one of these calls.... he can't wait to have a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I got the call twice today!!!!

Finally answered one of these calls.

The first guy talking just repeated he was working for microsoft then passed me onto his "supervisor"

He went through the usual steps on telling me what to do on the pc, i was just reading the newspaper at the time. Eventually he told me to go to a website and tell him what i saw, this was a good 30 minutes into our conversation after i kept asking him lots of questions

I broke the biscuit and eventually asked why the hell do you keep ringing Irish people, Iv been making fun of him and told him to fcuk off, ensue about 3 minutes of insults traded back and forth, he went feckin mental lol, only wish I could understand half of what he was saying

Told him I have a degree in computing and all he`ll ever be able to do is try scam old people out of money, he really took offence to that and went mental, was hilarious :) and felt really good

nuxxx wrote: »
    Finally answered one of these calls.

The first guy talking just repeated he was working for microsoft then passed me onto his "supervisor"

He went through the usual steps on telling me what to do on the pc, i was just reading the newspaper at the time. Eventually he told me to go to a website and tell him what i saw, this was a good 30 minutes into our conversation after i kept asking him lots of questions

I broke the biscuit and eventually asked why the hell do you keep ringing Irish people, Iv been making fun of him and told him to fcuk off, ensue about 3 minutes of insults traded back and forth, he went feckin mental lol, only wish I could understand half of what he was saying

Told him I have a degree in computing and all he`ll ever be able to do is try scam old people out of money, he really took offence to that and went mental, was hilarious :) and felt really good

Oh dear! Because of you he probably went home and beat his wife and kicked the cat, then spent the night calling for Jihad on you:D

ART6 wrote: »
    Oh dear! Because of you he probably went home and beat his wife and kicked the cat, then spent the night calling for Jihad on you:D

Ah well! Thought it was pretty funny at the time, to here some guy apparently from Microsoft calling me a dirty Irish bastard :pac:

nuxxx wrote: »
    Ah well! Thought it was pretty funny at the time, to here some guy apparently from Microsoft calling me a dirty Irish bastard :pac:

He called you that?!! Is there an Irish version of Jihad we could use? Now I have lost all sympathy for the guy. I hope his bloody cat died:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Got the legendary call today. It was short and sweet.

Caller: you have a virus on your computer

Me: can I ask u a question?

Caller: yes

Me: why don't u ask the butt end of my bo**ox?

Caller: can u repeat that?

Me: why don't u ask the butt end of my bo**ox?

Caller: silence..... Hangs up.

I had my fun anyway and they are welcome to call anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

My well fell hook, line and sinker to one of these guys yesterday. When I came home from work, there was a new Antivirus Protection 'K7 total protection', a 'Defraggler' thing, and CCleaner installed. She said she 'only' paid €59 euro for this using her Laser Card. We've closed the Laser Account and will reopen a new account. any advice on what else I need to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ceekay wrote: »
    My well fell hook, line and sinker to one of these guys yesterday. When I came home from work, there was a new Antivirus Protection 'K7 total protection', a 'Defraggler' thing, and CCleaner installed. She said she 'only' paid €59 euro for this using her Laser Card. We've closed the Laser Account and will reopen a new account. any advice on what else I need to do??

I think Defraggler and CCleaner are legit programmes which can be got for free. not sure about K7 protection, if you're unsure, back-up important data/pics, format hdd and reinstall windows from a recovery disc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blacksmiths

i heard online pc doctor is just a software. how can someone can remove hardware faults by sitting at another place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

i heard online pc doctor is just a software. how can someone can remove hardware faults by sitting at another place

Harware faults/bugs can be fixed by updating drivers, new features aswell can be added by the same, but these probably want to get into your files and use keyloggers to get your passwords, card details etc.

Advertisement