Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Aye I saw it after you posted :P

Might be worth running a few scans on his computer to see if there is any malware sitting there. I use microsofts own AV Security Essentials, but also ones like AVG and Malwarebytes etc... Spybots another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

sorry if this is the wrong place (feel free to move) but my family have internet and home phone with eircom and we have been pestered by people ringing the house phone claiming to be help from "windows operating system". does anybody know why these calls are coming through or how to stop them. i am unsure of the procedure. i have heard of a lot of these calls recently but no solutions. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I presume its the same scaming barstewards that this thread is about,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

It looks like you just have to put up with it as they always seems to ring back.Mind you there have been a few posts in that thread with the guys doing nasty things and having fun with the scammers.

EDIT:Lol your post was moved as i was replying to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

sorry if this is the wrong place (feel free to move) but my family have internet and home phone with eircom and we have been pestered by people ringing the house phone claiming to be help from "windows operating system". does anybody know why these calls are coming through or how to stop them. i am unsure of the procedure. i have heard of a lot of these calls recently but no solutions. thanks.

Unfortunately there is no solution (short of getting rid of your house phone) and the calls can't be stopped. They'll keep calling even after you've told them to f&^k off 100 times. There's nothing you can do but either take the piss out of them ans string them along when they ring or just hang up and don't entertain them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CabaretKitten

Darn people are still calling my house! I literally just got off the phone, I told her never to call me again (like i did last week) and she says "oh i'll call you again you stupid bastard!" :eek:
    why i oughta *shakes fist*

• Advertisement

Darn people are still calling my house! I literally just got off the phone, I told her never to call me again (like i did last week) and she says "oh i'll call you again you stupid bastard!" :eek:
    why i oughta *shakes fist*

They're amusingly bad at their scams, then, because I'm sure you're going to believe them and definitely follow through with the scam next time, after a retort like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I was beginning to feel left out as they hadn't rung me yet :D

Yesterday morning , the phone rang , and my wife answered it .
    Guess who it was !!!

She handed the phone over to me ( I had previously told her about the scam ), and got the story about my pc sending error messages to Microsoft etc....

He asked my if I was at my pc , so I told him I'd have to put him on hold while I waited for my pc to start .

I then placed the phone in front of one of my speakers , played Chopin , and walked away for a few minutes .

When I came back , the line was dead so I hung up .

Within one minute he rang back , so I repeated the above procedure .

When I went back to the phone , it was dead again , hung up and waited for him to ring again .

When he did , I said " I just remembered , I don't have a computer , Piss off " and hung up.

They haven't rung back yet :D:D

Good stuff! Wasting scammers time is a valuable use of resources! Think if I ever get a call ill pretend im having lots of trouble doing what they ask and waste as much time as humanly possible ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

fionny wrote: »
    Good stuff! Wasting scammers time is a valuable use of resources! Think if I ever get a call ill pretend im having lots of trouble doing what they ask and waste as much time as humanly possible ;P

I was delighted when my wife told me who was on the phone .

I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of him waiting patiently for my to give him remote access to my computer ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

My Mother in Law got a call over from these people in Canada!

I haven't gotten a call in a while, I've wasted their time a number of times and been escalated to their second level support.

Last time I got through to their second level support I agreed i had a virus as I had been on some very dodgy websites such as donkeyr*peschildren.com

he goes "you know what sir you can f*ck off" and hangs up

The cheek! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

I'd been getting at least a call a week for about two months - told them to **** off and just hung up. As this didn't seem to be doing the trick I changed tack:

I acted all worried and said that I was glad they'd offered to help.

He told me to switch on my PC and that he'd talk me through some steps to see the extent of the security risks on my computer.

While waiting for the PC to boot, I started to "cry" as all of my kids' baby photos and videos and my single copy of my "book" were likely to have been compromised.

Undeterred, he told me to click the start button - I managed to remain strightfaced when I told him that I couldn't. I did this in about a hundred different ways, telling him I couldn't find it it. He started to get frustrated at this point trying to direct me to where it was - eventually I "broke down" again crying that the "bastards have even stolen my start button".

After a few seconds of silence, he tried to revert to his script and asked me to reboot my PC again.

At this point I informed him that I knew exactly who he was and what he was up to and that I had all the time in the world and that the next time he called, I'd waste twice as much of his time.

No calls since.

I feel sorry for the people that end up working in those place who are just desperate for work but I in good conscience couldn't work for scammers once i knew what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anne1966

Received an unsolicited phone call from the Indian man on an "out of area" number last Thursday who told me that malicious websites had attempted to hack into my computer - I fell for the scam - 45 minutes later and having paid an annual subscription fee of €78 plus VAT (€94), I was assured by "Jack", my remote online technician, that my system was safe. He gave me a Limerick phone number, a Limerick address (but not a plot number) and info@care4windows as his contact addresses. On Thursday night, I looked at my laptop-the warning and error messages that he had highlighted were still coming in! I rang the number he offered-no answer. I emailed him-emails bounced back. I rang VISA and cancelled my card on Friday morning-I sent copies of my emails to VISA. The transaction went through on my old card yesterday. I have contacted the National Consumer Agency and the Bureau of Fraud Investigations by post with further details. I may have to put this all down to experience but do be careful - I'm only reading now of other people's experiences - the Indian man is still making phone calls - in retrospect, I should have asked how he got my number and how he was aware of attempts to hack into my computer. I'm very uneasy now as I'm afraid he may have hacked into my financial details other than my VISA details. I'm also saddened that my faith in humanity has been undermined.

Really sorry you got hit Anne but as you say yourself you wont get caught again... hopefully someone will nail down these scammers sooner or later.

Hopefully Visa will write the charge off as fraud!

If in the future you are getting error messages just post her on board first... most stuff can be fixed foc with a bit of friendly advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Anne1966 wrote: »
    Received an unsolicited phone call from the Indian man on an "out of area" number last Thursday who told me that malicious websites had attempted to hack into my computer - I fell for the scam - 45 minutes later and having paid an annual subscription fee of €78 plus VAT (€94), I was assured by "Jack", my remote online technician, that my system was safe. He gave me a Limerick phone number, a Limerick address (but not a plot number) and info@care4windows as his contact addresses. On Thursday night, I looked at my laptop-the warning and error messages that he had highlighted were still coming in! I rang the number he offered-no answer. I emailed him-emails bounced back. I rang VISA and cancelled my card on Friday morning-I sent copies of my emails to VISA. The transaction went through on my old card yesterday. I have contacted the National Consumer Agency and the Bureau of Fraud Investigations by post with further details. I may have to put this all down to experience but do be careful - I'm only reading now of other people's experiences - the Indian man is still making phone calls - in retrospect, I should have asked how he got my number and how he was aware of attempts to hack into my computer. I'm very uneasy now as I'm afraid he may have hacked into my financial details other than my VISA details. I'm also saddened that my faith in humanity has been undermined.
    unfortunately Anne1966 you wont be the last to fall for the scam but at least you sorted out your visa stright away & like fionny said hopefully they write it off,if you do online banking it should be safe but ring your bank too be sure & put this episode down to experience & dont open any emails you not sure of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

I got a call from this crowd on Sunday, we only recently moved so Im at a loss how they got our new phone number. I knew something was amiss and said I didn't own a computer and the Indian woman said it was my laptop to which I said I didn't own any sort of computer and then she hung up. Any idea how they get your name and number so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Sorry to hear that Anne. Visa might be able to refund the transaction if it's proven it's fraud. If you're worried about other financial details contact your bank and tell them you're worried about such. They'll be able to help and put your mind at ease. You've already cancelled the credit card so they cant use that again.
    Unfortunately you will have to put it down to experience but at least the damage wasn't too bad and as I said Visa may refund the fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

wow, this is a freakin pandemic! I don't know how many calls they make per day but the whole net is buzzing with this stuff, I just found a video about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy5E1trg2H0

and another page full of complaints http://callercenter.com/800-698-9034.html

sorry video embed fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

That's either Australia or NZ. & although she had an Indian subcontinent accent there was also a fair bit of Autralasia in there. Maybe these
    guys they employ could have worked in Indian restaurants or something
    so they understand something of the countries/cities they are calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I had one of these guys on the phone for 30 mins the other day, recorded the whole thing. Hilarity. Told him that I thought my flux capacitor was damaged, would he be able to get me back up to 88? Yes he said! Then at the end I started laughing at him, he asked my why I was laughing in a really offended voice, then I proceeded to call him every name under the sun. He told me he would pray that my PC would crash! At this stage I had tears in my eyes. Ten he told me he would find me and "f&€? Me at night"! And then he hung up in a rage! The next time he calls (and I hope he does) I am going to have the judge jury soundboard ready for him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anne1966

Indian man ("Henry") rang me back after I bombarded him with emails. Promised me a refund if I gave him my new VISA details or set up a paypal account! Have changed all my bank details and log in passwords and run Norton on my hard drive. Told "Henry" to post me a cheque, bank/money draft or postal order. We'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure if you could get these guys for fraud. For all intents n purposes they do seem to be providing some ''legitimate'' software here.
    So technically you do get something for your payment.

Ok, so it's a wholly un-nessecary piece of software that shouldn't require remote access to your PC (what happened to CD/DVDs?) and it's really bad how they cold call un-suspecting people in the evening and con them, however, all this means is that they're jerks, rather than doing anything specifically illegal.

Heck, once upon a time when I was migrating my uncles files from an old XP machine to his new Win7 machine, he had lost his Norton CD so we needed a new version of the full application. Couldn't find a download on the official site so we rang them and they said sure, we'll give you a new copy of the app, just let us have remote access to your PC. I told them I was suprised they'd make such a request and asked them would they not be able to give us our own download or something. After an uncomfortable silence, they said OK, enter this website address in your browser. Downloaded the file and we went on our merry way then. :cool:
    I guess Norton are a legit company though, and we will probably be seeing more of this remote access support malarkey.

Keerist! I wouldn't give anybody remote access to my computer. And, that sounds really suspect that anybody "legitimate" would want remote access. "We would like to keep an eye on you for our files"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It seems it's still going on a lot and they're thinking of some new twists

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/5007040/Phone-scam-plague-rampant-again

According to this article some people are getting calls where the person offers to get the money that was scammed off them back for a small fee :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

we had this phone call last month lol....he was kindly told where to go....and he returned the favour by constantly ringing up telling me he would skull f**k my mother excuse the language but thats exactly what he said

Ask him if his sister is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Just had the same call this morning he also sounded asian said he was from microsoft and that i had malware on my pc. This is the number that came up on the id 001000181.
    I did here some time ago about these calls so kinda new what was coming after about 30 seconds of me not understanding him i put the phone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Anne1966 wrote: »
    Indian man ("Henry") rang me back after I bombarded him with emails. Promised me a refund if I gave him my new VISA details or set up a paypal account! Have changed all my bank details and log in passwords and run Norton on my hard drive. Told "Henry" to post me a cheque, bank/money draft or postal order. We'll see!
    Hi Anne,

If you went through the whole process with this scam then your computer itself is potentially under their control. Do not trust the computer until you've had it repaired. Once it's been repaired, change your passwords again.

lee70 wrote: »
    This is the number that came up on the id 001000181.

Just be aware folks that not all numbers like this belong to scammers for instance UPC's automated calls come from 0012458400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

This PC scam has stuck our area again.

http://www.thurles.info/2011/05/05/indian-pc-scam-strikes-thurles-again/

My sister and some friends all got calls that week.
    They seem to be trying certain areas on a rotation or something.

Advertisement