Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

My sister in law fell for this today. "The guy said he was from Microsoft and they had received error messages from my computer" :rolleyes:

Long story short is she gave the guy access to their PC for about 30 mins then got suspicious and called me. I told her to unplug the PC straight away.

She has now powered the machine back up (with the broadband connection removed) and from what she's describing the screen boots up bland with only a start button or something on the bottom left. (she's upset and not too hot at describing exactly what's going on!!)

I got her to press control+alt+delete and enter task manager to see what apps were running but the only app running is task manager. There are 84 processes running but I don't have a clue which one, if any, is a rogue application or trojan put onto the machine by these slimeballs.

Apart from telling here to call out a tech fixer is there anything else whe can/should do to recover her machine and it's integrity???

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

My knowledge is limited but, going by what some posters on here have said they had to re-install whatever Windows they were using. Change
    passwords et al. Gaawd what parasites.

Thanks PatentSeven,

I suspect you're right.

My sister in law's (pissed off :mad: husband) called the bank who have now cancelled their credit and debit cards and terminated their internet banking account. He has also unplugged the PC and brought it directly to a local PC support guy who's working on it as we speak.

What a way to start a family bank holiday weekend!!!

Ben

Lots of people have been caught unfortunately. I wouldn't trust any program in my computer that has been accessed. If you want a laugh
    at scammers being baited go to 419eater.com - there's a guy on there
    that has them jumping through hoops. I was in stitches for hours reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Sorry......

What?
    I think their phone must be infected :D

No No the face on my Mam gave it away who was on the house phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

If they were doing a defrag and you unplugged the PC you screw up the PC . All she need to do is disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off wireless. There no point in over reacting by canceling all the cards.

mach1982 wrote: »
    If they were doing a defrag and you unplugged the PC you screw up the PC . All she need to do is disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off wireless. There no point in over reacting by canceling all the cards.

True enough Mach, hadn't thought of that but given my sister in law doesn't know anything about her family's PC whatsoever I just got her to unplug it. Will know better next time if there is a next time. ;)

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While I feel sorry for people getting scammed, there is an element of common sense that needs to be applied here.

I mean, I know nothing about clothes and wotnot but if a person pulls up in a car, opens a boot and tries to sell me genuine designer gear........it's pretty obvious whats going on.

You don't have to know anything about computers to know if something looks dodgy. Yes, they are parasites and scum but I would be more annoyed at one of my family for falling for this sort of shenannigans.

Your analagy is way off Kirby. What you have described is an obvious/blatant knock off. What these guys are doing is much more subtle and sophisticated. Yes anyone with a basic understanding of computers and some street smarts should smell a rat and get rid of them straight away but they target people who have neither computer knowledge or street smarts. It's a pure numbers game for them. Make 100 calls, get through to 50 people, 25 of which have PC's 10 of which are still on the phone talking to you after 30 seconds 5 of which give you online access to their PC's becuase they mistakenly but genuinely think they are doing a good/right thing. If they scam an average of €50 for each machine they get online access to and cream off €250 for their days work (90% going to the boss) it's not a bad days work compared to earning $5 a day in a sweat shop is it?

Not in any way similar to being offered designer gear out of the back of a car on the side of the street.

Still pretty dumb to be caught out though!! :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wasn't claiming the technique to scam a person was the same as pulling up in a car.

The anology was to prove that knowledge of the subject matter is not really important. People make excuses like "Ah sure, I know nothing about computers." I know nothing about clothes but you recognise the signs.

Most people would recognise being phoned up, unsolicited, by an indian, claiming he works for "windows", saying he knows your pc is having problems........ is bordering on ludicrous. They have called my house too, so I know the score on what they do. A young child being caught out I can understand but an Adult has no excuse.

Don't get me wrong. It's awful and I think the government both here and in the Uk should be doing more to get on top of this as its widespread.

But they can't protect us from everything and if people are going to be foolish with their credit card information or letting people they don't know talk them into visiting websites.....if it isn't this scam, it will be another. A fool and his money and all that jazz. :(

• Advertisement

Kirby,

Not fightin with ya but a couple of small but critically important details need to be highlighted/corrected:-

1. The caller was indeed 'foreign' sounding but not crazy "indian" style. My sis in law bought the PC from a well known manufacturer who have several international call centres which she dealt with in the past on service related issues. She'd probably have been more suspicious if the caller had had a thick Irish brogue!!!

2. They identified themselves as being from "Microsoft" which to you and me sounds ridiculous (have you ever tried calling MS for support????) but for her it didn't sound unreasonable. (Naive yes, but not totally unimaginable)

In your analagy it is the behaviour of the people making the proposition (to random passers by), the location (a public highstreet or road) and method of sale (boot of a car) which should make anyone smell a rat. Doesn't matter whether you know anything about designer clothes or not.

In the PC scam the caller phones the house direct which catches the recipient somewhat off guard as they are 'safe' in their home and off guard. The callers sound proeffional and credible (using IT lingo) and the premise of their call has some merit i.e. who hasn't had error or problems of some sort with their PC or who isn't somewhat paranoid about a virus having somehow gotten onto their machine?? (The fact that the caller who is pretending to fix the machine is about to put a virus or malware of soome sort onto the machine is somewhat ironic!!)

As I say, I'm not fightin with ya. I agree people should be a bit more street wise and if they're not they should acquire the skills to recognise that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it's usually a duck!!

I just think 80% of people will spot the scam you describe for the reasons I outlined whereas the PC support scam is much more subtle and sophisticated and therefore harder to spot.

I'll leave it there :D

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Just got off the phone with a lovely Indian chap called Arnold Wilson (good traditional Indian name i thought):D

He rang the house phone (don't have a clue how he got our number) claiming that our computer had 'infections' not viruses as there was a big difference. He explained that infections wouldn't show up in our antivirus and that only they had the software that could remove said infections...how conventien for them:rolleyes:

The worse thing is my dad, who would struggle to work a calculator, spoke to him first...and agreed to give him his credit card details.:eek: But luckily he got cold feet and handed me the phone. I realised straight away what it was so i had to stall 'Mr.Wilson' for a good 45 minutes while Dad tried to get through to the bank to cancel his card.. He got the card cancelled eventually so it's worked out allright in the end. But i know others won't be so lucky.

So the FIRST reason i made this thread (My 1st ever!:D) is to warn you all of this.
    He claimed he worked for these buckos
    http://techaviators.co.uk/ a pretty respectable looking website actually
    And he rang from this number 02088199827
    He also gave me this number 02088199749 to contact him.
    So if you get a call from this number claiming to work for this company then DON'T GIVE THEM ANY INFORMATION...AT ALL

The second reason is to ask you if this or something similar ever happened to you. I found out that some people lost lots of money from this very scam and found it hard to keep my temper with this polite man who was trying so desperately to steal our money.

And all while i should be studying for my LC English exam tomorrow frown.gif a less than welcome distaction. He says he's going to call back tomorrow so i plan on unleashing the fury then :D

SH__93,

FCUK him, if he calls back give him both barrels.

Ben

Ask him why he didn't deliver your order of lamb tikka masala & paaapaaadoms. On of the posters on here said he asked one of these scammers that & he got "hissing mad". I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fitz3r

Had the online pc doctor call me this morning i kkept him on the line for twenty minutes before i played him a song and hung up.

This is the recording.

http://www.leofitzgerald.ie/uploads/pc_doctor.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Any highlights or do you actually expect people to listen to this for the full twenty minutes? ^_^

maybe the last minute!

he does get pissed off during the conversation as i keep making mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good work.
    "Should I go onto "something.com"?"

That's a great example of this type of call and how to deal with it if you have the time......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

um... what? why would you reckon he like the film slumdog millionaire just cause he has an asian/indian accent? what was the point in posting this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

artyeva wrote: »
    um... what? why would you reckon he like the film slumdog millionaire just cause he has an asian/indian accent? what was the point in posting this?!
    Granted - the music may not have been the best idea but I appreciate why it was posted - to raise awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fairplay! 20 mins on to you saves someone else getting scammed.

why are you trying to say it was racially motive? i only played a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

fitz3r wrote: »
    Had the online pc doctor call me this morning i kkept him on the line for twenty minutes before i played him a song and hung up.

This is the recording.

You should forward this conversation on to a couple of radio stations, perhaps with a commentary as to what they're really at to spread the word about this crap. A couple of people around here have been caught and I was incredulous that they would believe a cold call voice over the internet though I suppose the less tech savvy among us will believe anyone with a bit of know-how, even if it is being read off a screen.

Still though, well done you for wasting their time for a bit, it may have saved someone else from getting caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

is it your home number or your mobile number they call you on ?

and how do they get your number in the first place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

careca11 wrote: »
    is it your home number or your mobile number they call you on ?

and how do they get your number in the first place ?

Always home phone number in my experience and no one knows for sure where they get the numbers as some ex-directory people get these calls but all they really have to do is pick any number out of the phone book. These days there's a fairly high possibility that there'll be a computer with an internet connection at that number. There were theories going back to the early days of this thread that they get the numbers from a database of some company like Eircom or PC World etc. but I don't think anyone's ever nailed it down exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Fair play to Leo for taking the time to post this. Sure most users here are wide to this scam for over two years now? but there are many many more users out there who are not. Yes it's hard to believe this is still a successful business for these scam artists but they wouldn't be still at it if it wasn't?

I've only ever received one of these calls and simply replied by saying I didn't have a computer ever since I became unemployed. They have never called me back since.

It amazes me to see how they can remain so calm when they are trying to suck you in? It must be one of the most frustrating jobs ever?

Many computer owners\users only use their machines for surfing, email Bookface and Youtube, beyond that they haven't got a clue and are easily targeted by these a55holes!

Just because some users are way wide to this? it is very naive of them to assume that everyone else is or should be too.....

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

I enjoyed listening to that while I was working.

The only opportunity you missed I think was to reply "Yes, I'm very attached to it." when he asked you if you were "attached to your internet".

And how exactly were you supposed to check that your wireless connection is "attached" or "plugged in" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

I've been told to shut up and listen (in an angry tone) when i kept asking stupid questions.

Got it this morning. She got really annoyed when I had to ask her to repeat who it was that she worked for.

Honestly, I wouldn't blow a whistle into the phone or any of that stuff - these are just folks employed on a pittance in India. I'd happily do violence to the b*st*rds behind it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The problem with those websites is that they go up and down faster than the small clothes of a woman of negotiable affection. One site can be taken down and another will pop up immediately to take it's place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

fitz3r wrote: »

This is the recording.

Just listening to this now... I have no life :P

do they call people with Mac's too?

Advertisement