Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

First time for ages I had a call the other day. Some Indian (as in India, but she could have been a Mohican for all I knew) sounding female. I thought I heard the bit about something to do with PC or Doctor or something, but otherwise I couldn't understand a word she was saying. So I had to apologise that I couldn't understand her, and that I would have to terminate the call. This just goes to show that even scammers can't get the staff nowadays! What, I ask in God's name, is the world coming to?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭JCW

fitz3r wrote: »
    Had the online pc doctor call me this morning i kkept him on the line for twenty minutes before i played him a song and hung up.

This is the recording.

http://www.leofitzgerald.ie/uploads/pc_doctor.mp3

I seen this link on the last page and clicked it without reading the full description and I have to say you make a fine actor I actually thought that whoever was in that recording didnt have a clue until "can I play you a song friend" haha thats an absolute classic good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Misticles wrote: »

do they call people with Mac's too?

They call on spec and hope that the number they dial has a computer in the house running windows. However they have no idea whether the house even has computer, let alone whether it is running windows or apple. They presume you have Windows until told otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

They call on spec and hope that the number they dial has a computer in the house running windows. However they have no idea whether the house even has computer, let alone whether it is running windows or apple. They presume you have Windows until told otherwise.

To be fair, the distribution of Windows to Macs/Linux is in their favour, as is the distribution of tech savvy to non tech savvy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Chefdf

Got a call this morning from India claiming to be from Windows. Asked to type "inf" into run. Checked the inf command in Google first and saw nothing to suggest it was dangerous so went along with it to see where he was going with this. Then he explained how I have infections in my computer which are not viruses and are not picked up by anti virus programs.
    Then he asked me to type eventvwr into run. Typed it into google first again to see what it was and the scam showed up straight away.
    Tried to play him along for a while anyway but then couldn't stop myself getting angry with him so he hung up without even saying bye. Rude on his part if anything. Kinda wish I had played it out for longer now and wasted his time even more.
    Luckily nobody else in my family answered the phone though or by the looks of it we'd now have a fairly defunct computer.

I'm just wondering how he got our number. Home phone. And is there is anything that can be done to stop this happening again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

Chefdf, these "rodneys" will keep on ringing. Just warn everybody in the
    household -and everybody else you know as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Chefdf wrote: »
    Got a call this morning from India claiming to be from Windows. Asked to type "inf" into run. Checked the inf command in Google first and saw nothing to suggest it was dangerous so went along with it to see where he was going with this. Then he explained how I have infections in my computer which are not viruses and are not picked up by anti virus programs.
    Then he asked me to type eventvwr into run. Typed it into google first again to see what it was and the scam showed up straight away.
    Tried to play him along for a while anyway but then couldn't stop myself getting angry with him so he hung up without even saying bye. Rude on his part if anything. Kinda wish I had played it out for longer now and wasted his time even more.
    Luckily nobody else in my family answered the phone though or by the looks of it we'd now have a fairly defunct computer.

I'm just wondering how he got our number. Home phone. And is there is anything that can be done to stop this happening again?

Your phone number is set to public. Ring eircom or who ever and ask them to take it off public once your number is public all they have to do is go into Irish phone directory and find all the numbers happened to me when I moved to upc my number became public once I got a call I rang upc right up and got my number private

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

OK, does any one know what do they do to the COmputer other then installing Trojans on your COmputer fixing a computer but if i could Fix it without Reinstalling I would

Was having a look through Regedit and I found PC Doctor for Window there, is this unrelated I assume it is because ive never given anybody access to my computer and I ust have reinstalled my OS 3 times now??

Was having a look through Regedit and I found PC Doctor for Window there, is this unrelated I assume it is because ive never given anybody access to my computer and I must have reinstalled my OS 3 times now??

EDIT: Sorry for the double post dont know how that happened??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I think there is a mistake on your part. You have mistaken Online PC Doctor for Onlinepccare. They are not the same company. I don't know about Online PC Doctor, but Onlinepccare is genuine company. I have availed their services several times, and am thoroughly saitisfied.

No offence, but its hard to believe someone who just signed up this month and this being your one and only post...

Especially when the name Online PC care in google brings this up:

http://www.homehelptech.ie/blog/phone-pc-repair-scam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 derekaustin

fionny wrote: »
    No offence, but its hard to believe someone who just signed up this month and this being your one and only post...

Especially when the name Online PC care in google brings this up:

http://www.homehelptech.ie/blog/phone-pc-repair-scam/

You are entitled to trust anybody you feel like. I just noticed that there was a mistake with identification...so I thought that I should clear the misconception. And I really don't care what other jealous blogs write about <blah>. I am their customer, and am satisfied!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

And another blog this one even has a screenshot :P

http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2010/04/online-pc-care-just-spam-cold-called-me.html

It also has a nice video of the call taking place.

I think there is a mistake on your part. You have mistaken Online PC Doctor for Onlinepccare. They are not the same company. I don't know about Online PC Doctor, but Onlinepccare is genuine company. I have availed their services several times, and am thoroughly saitisfied.
    You are trying to tell the folks on here that a company in India cold calls
    private numbers in Ireland & elsewhere to tell them their computers are having problems? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You are trying to tell the folks on here that a company in India cold calls
    private numbers in Ireland & elsewhere to tell them their computers are having problems? Get real.

I agree totally with you patentseven ;)

Even over on my own forum we get new users trying to vindicate Online PC Doctor. At one point a user signed up claiming to be the owner and asked why we were deleting their posts. He claimed he was a legit company and that the other shower were trying to mimic them!! I asked him if he was such a genuine company, why he hadn't taken legal steps to stop them? We never heard from him again :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Yeah, I had to get a tooth extracted. I'm waiting impatiently for the
    toothfairy, with the winning lottery numbers for tonight preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Derekaustin = shill.

Bye bye shill. o/

I was reading about this scam last year, there was a blog post about it that went viral and had hundreds or thousands of comments, and a lot of them started to come from people with very broken English praising the services of each online PC care site as it emerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Spot on Khannie. Also lookee here at comment 38 on this blog :D Sounds familiar...like a broken record.

fionny you hit the target. They must find Ireland lucrative to get a reaction like that. They are watching Boards.ie, that's for sure:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 imurphy

These muppets used to ring me once a week. Always from a call centre (sounded Indian.....they couldn't pronounce 'W'). I've asked them how they got my number to which they gave some BS answer. I usually tell them I work in IT so do my own maintenance and never to ring this number again (not that the last piece works)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

They rang a family member in Kilkenny, and continue to ring, sounds like a total scam whoever is calling.

fitz3r wrote: »
    Had the online pc doctor call me this morning i kept him on the line for twenty minutes before i played him a song and hung up.

This is the recording.

http://www.leofitzgerald.ie/uploads/pc_doctor.mp3

Thanks for posting this I never had the patience to listen to them or stop myself laughing. I loved the line 80% in "I don't have internet in my house"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

My moher gets one a fornight, it's always a guy called Mark from Microsoft. We've done everything from blowing whistles, hanging up, asking what his CC details are & pretending we can't hear him... but he keeps ringing back.

We did report it to the phone provider & the Gardai... but he keeps ringing back

imurphy wrote: »
    These muppets used to ring me once a week. Always from a call centre (sounded Indian.....they couldn't pronounce 'W'). I've asked them how they got my number to which they gave some BS answer. I usually tell them I work in IT so do my own maintenance and never to ring this number again (not that the last piece works)

Just got my weekly call from "24x7 PC Help". Said that my pc security had expired. When I questioned her on this she hung up. The number that came up on caller id was odd "0091797", can't be rung back.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

imurphy wrote: »
    . The number that came up on caller id was odd "0091797", can't be rung back.

Never call any of the numbers back as you may well be calling a premium number abroad and it will end up costing you a bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

got call today from logmein123, sayin my computer need to get fixed, anyone have a run in with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

trishw78 wrote: »
    My moher gets one a fornight, it's always a guy called Mark from Microsoft. We've done everything from blowing whistles, hanging up, asking what his CC details are & pretending we can't hear him... but he keeps ringing back.

We did report it to the phone provider & the Gardai... but he keeps ringing back

Tell him you have a mac or are running linux

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Third time now this week these muppets have called, getting sick of it, is there anyway to stop them.

Here's the number that came up: 001000206

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Third time now this week these muppets have called, getting sick of it, is there anyway to stop them.

Here's the number that came up: 001000206

They're using Skype. Com Reg can block the number but then they can create a new one in a matter of seconds.

Advertisement