Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

Plates wrote: »
    I'm at home today - kind of hoping I'll get another call from these guys - cos I'm in a mood to mess with them. Any suggestions?

About suggestions...

1) Remember you are the dumbest user they ever met. For example if they ask you to do Start->Run, just pretend you don't know what is the start button. You'll waste them double time and they will be excited to have a good catch.

2) Pretend your PC is so slow quite recently. Wait at least 30 seconds pretending the requested page is not yet displayed on your browser. It will cost again some time and will make them believe they are to sell you another piece of their crap software to "fix" your PC speed.

3) They will probably ask you to go on a remote support tool website (such as support.me or logmein123.com) do not enter the codes they give you, just pretend error message keep popping up (you can enter dummy codes to have an hint on how the error messages are labelled). You can also pretend your AV is prompting warning messages about going to these websites. Slowly read them the warning message (which has to be very long) your AV suite is supposed to have displayed on the screen

4) when they try to direct you to a link on a website, be over dummy. "do you mean the left part of the screen ?" "What do you see on the screen? : Internet Explorer". It is a moment full of fun to have someone trying to explain you that the link is on the lower right side of the screen and you just reply "you mean where the on/off button is ?"

5) At one point you'll be transferred to a senior support tech or a manager. Sound impressed, your problem must be damn serious if someone as important as the manager is taking your call. The more convinced they are, the further they will go with you...

6) Final and most important advice: never download anything, never run anything, never enter any given code to their support website, just pretend you did. They might be good enough to hijack or waste your PC if they feel you are making fun of them :mad:. If you never gave them a chance to take control of your PC (support.me / logmein123.com are supposed to do so) you are safe. :)

Have fun! Usually their phone numbers are strange like "001000206" so watch for caller ID to be prepared for the encounter.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Got one these calls on friday as i was not in a hurry i kept him on the phone for 45 min before he hung up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

The guy who rang me today rang back TWICE after I hung up on him swearing he wasn't lying and the service wasn't a scam. TWICE!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Cork - friend of mine got a call this morning. Guy claimed to be from Microsoft on a UK number (0044) and he gave some waffle about viruses and ammyy.com, my friend, who is usually quite savvy, got caught off-guard because the guy seemed to have info about her that she didn't think he should have like her maiden name. She said she had to think about it, called me and I told her that Microsoft never cold calls and that it was a scam. I emailed Joe Duffy about it cos it seems to be picking up steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Felix 2010

Just got another call this morning, He checked my name and said my computer has a problem, but I replied," sorry, I do not have a computer. So he said, sorry Mam, then put down the phone !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Okay lads I feel really stupid! I was going along with this and didn't realise it was a scam until they asked for money. I downloaded something from ammyy.com and ran it on my computer gave them the code and they had remote access for about 5 minutes. I shut down the computer right after I hung up but could there be something wrong? I have no problem doing a complete reinstall of Windows as it is a little used PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Do a re-install to be safe, i wouldn't take the chance with these fúckers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

These knackers called a neighbor of mine earlier today, she sussed something was up and told them ring back and in the meantime she rang me. Her laptop was infected badly, same old story in that they setup a backdoor access into the system. I did a complete reinstall.

I was also there when they rang back and I talked to the "rep". Needles to say we had a very heated discussion which ended with him saying he didn't need my money as there were plenty of other people he would do business with. He also went on to say that I should beware of my email accounts and the like. Got her to change all of her passwords.

The reinstall didn't work as the windows cd wouldn't work for some reason. I did a system restore to a week ago though so I should be okay right?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

IRISH RANG3R; Just about your cd not working. The same happened to me, couldn't get cd to read or any of my music cd's either. Up on line
    people with the same problem were saying "it's software this and it's
    software that. I opened the reader and cleaned the reader lens with a soft cloth & it's working fine since. Sorry for digressing from thread subject.

• Advertisement

Sorry to keep it off topic for another post. I'm sure it's the cd as it is reading the cd its just a couple of files it can't copy for some reason. I'm not worried about this anyway as the cd was given to me by a friend and it's a copied dvd so I didn't expect it to work 100% :P

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

nodolan wrote: »
    Cork - friend of mine got a call this morning. Guy claimed to be from Microsoft on a UK number (0044) and he gave some waffle about viruses and ammyy.com, my friend, who is usually quite savvy, got caught off-guard because the guy seemed to have info about her that she didn't think he should have like her maiden name. She said she had to think about it, called me and I told her that Microsoft never cold calls and that it was a scam. I emailed Joe Duffy about it cos it seems to be picking up steam.
    Not to be rude, but what will Joe Duffy do .The reason they call is that we are so guilable What we need is proper education. It should be a subject in the leaving( and I am not talking about the ECDL more like a 1st college intro into Computers ) .We use computer so much that everyone should know the basics . Even in the driving test you need to know how to change the oil ( have ever had do did?). .We are taught to read , write , and do maths , so why not basic IT skills. I work in in IT support and the number of times a simple reboot fixes the issue is crazy . Computers are not hard, they are quite easy , if you can use goggle and follow instruction, then you can fix most basic computer problems .

Rant over

mach1982 wrote: »
    Not to be rude, but what will Joe Duffy do .The reason they call is that we are so guilable What we need is proper education. It should be a subject in the leaving( and I am not talking about the ECDL more like a 1st college intro into Computers ) .We use computer so much that everyone should know the basics . Even in the driving test you need to know how to change the oil ( have ever had do did?). .We are taught to read , write , and do maths , so why not basic IT skills. I work in in IT support and the number of times a simple reboot fixes the issue is crazy . Computers are not hard, they are quite easy , if you can use goggle and follow instruction, then you can fix most basic computer problems .

Rant over

Dude, you work in IT support but don't know how to spell Google? And don't know how to use a spell checker? (Or punctuation, or grammar).

Are you proposing that people do a mandatory course in basic computer skills before they're allowed to own and use a computer? Listen to yourself. Are you going to deny computer access to people over a certain age? I know of people in their 50s and 60s who desperately want to use a computer to stay in touch with family and friends and they rely on others to help them with any issues they encounter - that's the point in contacting someone like Joe Duffy - he can reach a wide audience of people who are not computer savvy and give them the basic advice that Microsoft does not cold call and that they should never download a file for an unknown person on the telephone. Get a grip lad, not everyone is a "All your base are belong to us" type!

Sorry to keep it off topic for another post. I'm sure it's the cd as it is reading the cd its just a couple of files it can't copy for some reason. I'm not worried about this anyway as the cd was given to me by a friend and it's a copied dvd so I didn't expect it to work 100% :P
    If you don't use the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) DVD (not CD) that came with your PC you will get 'file copy' errors when reinstalling Windows. For the most part you can skip these errors. The OEM DVD relies on files being present that are specific to your make and model of PC plus sometimes the OEM DVD pulls files from a hidden partition on your hard drive to make the reinstall faster so make sure you go to the support website for your PC and download all the latest drivers etc. and make sure you update Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

nodolan wrote: »
    Dude, you work in IT support but don't know how to spell Google? And don't know how to use a spell checker? (Or punctuation, or grammar).

Are you proposing that people do a mandatory course in basic computer skills before they're allowed to own and use a computer? Listen to yourself. Are you going to deny computer access to people over a certain age? I know of people in their 50s and 60s who desperately want to use a computer to stay in touch with family and friends and they rely on others to help them with any issues they encounter - that's the point in contacting someone like Joe Duffy - he can reach a wide audience of people who are not computer savvy and give them the basic advice that Microsoft does not cold call and that they should never download a file for an unknown person on the telephone. Get a grip lad, not everyone is a "All your base are belong to us" type!

First I'm dyslexic and i did user a spell checker. I am not saying that there should be mandatory lessons before one own one , I'm saying that in schools it should be taught . I'm sure this has already been on Joe Duffy, and people are still being con. It is called common sense( something a lot people have lost), why would MS call you they don't even make anti virus or malware software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

mach1982 wrote: »
    First I'm dyslexic and i did user a spell checker. I am not saying that there should be mandatory lessons before one own one , I'm saying that in schools it should be taught . I'm sure this has already been on Joe Duffy, and people are still being con. It is called common sense( something a lot people have lost), why would MS call you they don't even make anti virus or malware software.

:confused:
    Microsoft Security Essentials

Crosáidí wrote: »
    :confused:
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    :)
    Also Windows Defender (malware software) - built in to Windows Vista and 7 and available for download for XP since 2005.

Plus Forefront for enterprise protection:

https://www.microsoft.com/forefront/en/us/default.aspx

Plus the anti-malware tool plus the newer Safety Scanner:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teknophobe

Back to original OnlinePCDoctor thread, I can't believe I got a call today - there must still be people falling for this. Unfortunately, I think I know some of them so it got me so mad.

I asked him several times who he worked for and he said "Windows Operating System" and their server had had a report that my pc was infected with an "online virus". When I suggested the whole thing was a scam he then said the company I work for is probably scamming people :confused:
    Then he claimed he'd only started working there yesterday.

At least I kept him on the phone for 15 minutes, 15 minutes less time to scam someone more gullible.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oli2

I recently got a phone call like this from someone saying they were from online pc or something, and I stupidly gave them remote access to my computer. Could they have put key loggers or something onto my computer without me seeing? I didn't give them any cc details. I have a Mac btw, if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes. Disconnect your computer from the internet straight away. Change all your passwords, contact your back and ask for new cards. Then, bring your computer to a reputable computer repair show and tell them exactly what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Sorry about that. Post is below it was posted twice.

oli2 wrote: »
    I recently got a phone call like this from someone saying they were from online pc or something, and I stupidly gave them remote access to my computer. Could they have put key loggers or something onto my computer without me seeing? I didn't give them any cc details. I have a Mac btw, if that makes a difference?

My god your on a mac, a guy saying his from microsoft rings tells You your pc as a virus

1. Mac is Apple and pc is microsoft should have rang some kind of bell off inside that head of yours

2. You Just did not give remote acess to your mac.. please tell me You didnt

3. Since your on a MAC and let a guy into your mac stating hes from Microsoft Well then.. in your case macs aré not for idoits thats what the pc is for..

But if your using. A. V-image of win7 or xp then You should have said it on your post and then We can tell You Yes their is hope Just open VMWare and click on your image and delete it, if You were smart You would had a back up copy of a clean installed win7 like most VMWare user

Cork24 wrote: »
    My god your on a mac, a guy saying his from microsoft rings tells You your pc as a virus

1. Mac is Apple and pc is microsoft should have rang some kind of bell off inside that head of yours

2. You Just did not give remote acess to your mac.. please tell me You didnt

3. Since your on a MAC and let a guy into your mac stating hes from Microsoft Well then.. in your case macs aré not for idoits thats what the pc is for..

But if your using. A. V-image of win7 or xp then You should have said it on your post and then We can tell You Yes their is hope Just open VMWare and click on your image and delete it, if You were smart You would had a back up copy of a clean installed win7 like most VMWare user

he never said microsoft or pc

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Do these muppets only ring land lines?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wasn't in the mood for them today when "Shane" called and said he was from Computer Support Technicians (or something along those lines) and was going to help me fix a problem on my computer.

I just told him he wasn't from Microsoft, I didn't have a virus on my computer and his name wasn't Shane. He hung up immediately and didn't even bother trying to argue with me about what his name was.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

Like I said in a previous post, I read where about 1 million people in Ireland
    get these calls and it appears 160,000 fall for the scam, these guys must
    have stand up fights to call Irish numbers. I don't know the timeframe for the stats though - does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

jayteecork wrote: »
    Do these muppets only ring land lines?
    Looks like they only or at least mainly call landlines. 2 main reasons being (IMHO):
    1) if you answer on your landline, there's far better chances that you are close to your PC and not shopping at Tesco or commuting to work.
    2) they use voip solutions (such as Skype) and calling landlines from elsewhere (India ?) is much cheaper. They have sometimes to spend more than an hour over the phone to be able to sell you their crap. Other times (e.g. when they called me) it can take them 45 minutes to understand they're wasting their time with someone making fun of them :)

In the first instance of us receiving a call from these guys, they were using the phonebook, because they asked me if I was "Mrs. Boyfriend's Surname". His name is in the book. Second two times they called they didn't use a name.

oli2 wrote: »
    he never said microsoft or pc

What did he say ? your COMputer has a Virus..

So he your telling me, you pick up the phone.. he didn't say where he was working from or what he was doing,

He just said hello sir your computer has a virus ? and you fell for it ? NO Mac user calls their Mac a Computer ! they call it my Mac,

1. Your Mac has a Virus,
    2. Hold on 2 secs I'll get my mac pc and i'll check..

Your typical Chatter from mac users ! :rolleyes:

I got six Calls heard people talk about it, and they all saying " Hello Sir i am Calling from Microsoft and we have reports that your computer has a virus.. ":mad:

I dont Under Stand how the FU**CK are people still falling for this Sh**T Its all over the InterWeb, Radio, Youtube, Boards.ie Etc,Etc. and Muppets with MAC's are now falling for it..

ok, for every 1/1000 virus are also Virus for mac. Thanks to the Intel Chips inside Mac's. their is only about 3 RATs that are able to Remote Hack into a MAC.

if i was u i would run a virus Scanner, Nortons is the best for Mac... i would make sure your Sharing is all click off, Desktop Remote etc etc and folder Sharing... I would also. Change User passwords Disable and Guest accounts on the mac.

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »
    What did he say ? your COMputer has a Virus..

So he your telling me, you pick up the phone.. he didn't say where he was working from or what he was doing,

He just said hello sir your computer has a virus ? and you fell for it ? NO Mac user calls their Mac a Computer ! they call it my Mac,

1. Your Mac has a Virus,
    2. Hold on 2 secs I'll get my mac pc and i'll check..

Your typical Chatter from mac users ! :rolleyes:

I got six Calls heard people talk about it, and they all saying " Hello Sir i am Calling from Microsoft and we have reports that your computer has a virus.. ":mad:

I dont Under Stand how the FU**CK are people still falling for this Sh**T Its all over the InterWeb, Radio, Youtube, Boards.ie Etc,Etc. and Muppets with MAC's are now falling for it..

ok, for every 1/1000 virus are also Virus for mac. Thanks to the Intel Chips inside Mac's. their is only about 3 RATs that are able to Remote Hack into a MAC.

if i was u i would run a virus Scanner, Nortons is the best for Mac... i would make sure your Sharing is all click off, Desktop Remote etc etc and folder Sharing... I would also. Change User passwords Disable and Guest accounts on the mac.

he gave me the usual spiel about having an infected computer. i was suspicious, but the fact that he knew the homeowners name and that my computer had actually been slow and opening random apps lately threw me off a little.

i have no idea how people normally refer to their macs or what im supposed to call it and i dont care, youre getting into semantics. i just call it a computer, sound less like a cun.t. then when youre calling it a mac.

and ive done all that. i used teamviewer which is apparently safe. file sharing has to be allowed, no invisible activity, all that.

and i had never heard of this scam before, so it definitely isnt everywhere.

Advertisement