Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Got yet another call there on Friday :rolleyes:
    Funnily enough, it showed up this time as a full 0044 UK number.

Mind you, we had another strange call there yesterday, not sure if it's related?
    Caller id said 800 806 807

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Yeah i disconnected from the net straight away,i called Microsoft and the guy said i should use microsoft safety scanner which is scanning now,i have removed all the junk that i can and the computer is being cleaned as we speak.

Will post back asap

Thanks again cookie.

Did the cleanup do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Got one of these calls just now. Hadn't heard of the scam - but seeing that there is 69 pages here I'm obviously not the first person to receive this.

The caller ID that came up was 0091731. Apologies if this has been posted before (it didn't come up in a search and I can't be bothered trawling through all the pages).

The woman kept saying that the company was authorised, but when I asked her who the company were and who authorised them, she just avoided the question. At one stage she actually asked if Microsoft had ever called me to help me fix my computer.

I suggested that if there was an infection (as she called it) she would be better reporting it to Symantec and AVG. She said they had.

A few times she asked me to log on to my computer and I kept telling I wasn't near it (in hindsight I should have told her to take a hike) and eventually she asked me if I was lying ("Are you lying, sir"):D:D . You have to laugh at the cheek of it.

Anyway, I'm glad I took the call and not one of the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Its getting out of hand now........pissed off with it :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

just got the call at home.

Someone with a foreign accent on a very crackly line just called me at home. He said he was calling from "Windows" and that they noticed that someone was trying to hack my computer! He just hung up on me when he realized I was not going to fall for whatever scam he was trying.

The caller id on the call was 00440253820308

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

One of my friends who is a bit of a practical joker got a call last Thurs from a lady telling him she was from Microsoft and that he had a serious virus on his pc.

Jim (my friend) knew straight away what she was up to, but played along with her, and opened the windows event viewer when instructed, which of course showed standard application errors.

His young lad was home from school so he quietly asked his son to play along with what was about to happen.

As soon as she told him that the event logs proved that there was a serious virus, she asked him to type in a command to allow her to get control of the pc.

Jim goes" A virus, a f*ckin virus, I knew it, I knew it. My son is always playing games - the little f*cker. Hold there on the line for a minute will ya"

He starts shouting at his son, shouting
    "Mikey, come here ya little b*llix or I'll tear strips of ya"

He goes back on the phone asking her to wait for another minute, and pretends to knock seven shades of sh*te out of the young lad, while screaming at the same time.

At this time, his son is playing along screaming:
    "No daddy, No, Nooooooo. Please don't hit me! please don't, please don't."

The son's shouting gets louder and louder, with Jim punching his fist into his open palm right next to the phone, while shouting
    "That will teach you, ya little f*cker, that will teach you"

After 2 minutes of this, he motions his son to stay quiet, grabs the phone and tells the girl on the phone
    "He's not moving. He's not moving at all.
    Mikey. Mikey. Wake up! Wake up!
    Daddy loves you"

He pretends to start crying and then asks the girl could she go off the line cos he has to ring an ambulance for Mikey. And hangs up.

She hasn't called back yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I just got a call on Skype with a robot voice (Stephen Hawking maybe) telling me to go to a website.

It's funny now they are not even using humans. Unless it really was Stephen Hawking and I just hung up on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Just got one of these calls too, the second this year I think... And both times I've been in a bit of a hurry so haven't been able to string them along for as long as I'd like. This one mumbled the name of the company, when I asked him to repeat it I think he said "I Assist". I asked him what was wrong, he said that their database showed my computer has downloaded many dangerous files. I asked how that might've happened, he told me it happens all the time with Windows. We went back and forth a bit more with that until I ran out of time and told him I was using Linux and that he was a lying scam artist. He still tried to argue with me but I had to go :(

The number was +44607625911...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Theres some info on who these people are at the bottom if this page:
    Microsoft Phone Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

BailMeOut wrote: »
    just got the call at home.

Someone with a foreign accent on a very crackly line just called me at home. He said he was calling from "Windows" and that they noticed that someone was trying to hack my computer! He just hung up on me when he realized I was not going to fall for whatever scam he was trying.

The caller id on the call was 00440253820308

Just got a call from this same number this morning. Someone with an accent that sounded indian or pakistani said that my PC was sending out unusual traffic, and that it would have to be investigated. He was very polite, and also had my name details, referring to me as mr XXX, etc.

When I told him I had no PC, he immediately hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This was posted over in Tec-Security. A good way to deal with them..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

My mum got one of these calls today. She lives in Wexford. They had her name and asked her about the computer in her house using Microsoft 7 OS. She had no idea about any scam so she asked which computer. I think she gave him a bit of hassle because he asked her are you going to ring the guards. She asked for his supervisors name, and he said Mr. Mark. She got an address in Smithfield Glass House. He gave her a number but it had too many numbers.

She didn't turn on the computer as she was just in from work so she didn't connect remotely to him or download any programme.

I am just wondering if it is safe for her to connect to her wifi. I have set up a secure connection for her and I would be suprised but not altogether shocked if it was hacked.

I would appreciate any feedback as god love her she thinks they are going to be accessing her bank accounts and the like.

cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'm doing some research on the data they have.
    Are you all with UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Rashers wrote: »
    Did the cleanup do the job?

I forgot to reply back. Yeah the clean up did the job.

Thanks again for the help guys

Sobanek wrote: »
    Are you all with UPC?

my mum isn't - Free view tv and eircom net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

rebelmomma wrote: »
    My mum got one of these calls today. She lives in Wexford. They had her name and asked her about the computer in her house using Microsoft 7 OS. She had no idea about any scam so she asked which computer. I think she gave him a bit of hassle because he asked her are you going to ring the guards. She asked for his supervisors name, and he said Mr. Mark. She got an address in Smithfield Glass House. He gave her a number but it had too many numbers.

She didn't turn on the computer as she was just in from work so she didn't connect remotely to him or download any programme.

I am just wondering if it is safe for her to connect to her wifi. I have set up a secure connection for her and I would be suprised but not altogether shocked if it was hacked.

I would appreciate any feedback as god love her she thinks they are going to be accessing her bank accounts and the like.

cheers,
    If she didn't turn it on then she is safe.

Google away....

If she didn't turn it on then she is safe.

Google away....
    Thanks a million! I have her warned to just hang up if they ring back!!

Are you all with UPC?
    All sorts of different ISPs, some people in Phonebooks, others not.

They're buying customer databases from all over the place as far as I can see. Lots of companies sell their Customers details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

my mum isn't - Free view tv and eircom net.

Is she listed in the eircom phonebook?

The only way they could get my name, surname and phone number is:

- UPC selling my info
    - AXA Insurance selling my info
    - They got my number off the eircom phonebook

Thanks a million! I have her warned to just hang up if they ring back!!
    They more than likely will wreck her head now that they got an answer and thought they were going to catch her.

Put the phone beside the Radio or get one of those Learn to speak a different Languages CDs when they ring back or anything just to annoy them.

Or yea, just hang up. LOL:)

Tell her to tell her Friends about this Scam, the more people aware the less these Scumbags will get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Noticed strange number on my phone today......checked the area code...... 00253 - Djibouti! Either they are expanding their "helpline" branches or maybe someone wants me to mind some of Gadaffi's overseas money!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

They phoned whilst the wife was in and she told them I was the one who sorted the computers. It made my day when a guy with an Indian accent phoned asking for me by name. I,'m in the phonebook so I guess that is where they got the info.
    Anyway, usual spiel about a virus on a computer in the house and how he was from Windows support .I asked him which one which stumped him a bit until he said all of them so I said
    "F***k all 7 have a virus"
    Must have made his day.
    So I'm acting shocked and repeating virus like an eejit.
    He starts telling me what to do until I asked him if it would work on pclos as I don't run Windows.
    He Hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

But just read some of those testimonials!

These guys usually operate from somewhere in India (I think)
    Talk to them in a little Irish (Gaelic) if you know some and befuddle them.
    Anything at all in Irish ..does'nt have to make any sense.

Great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Are you all with UPC?

I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

My mum got a call yesterday, said it was a UK number. She fobbed them off and they said that they'd ring her back. She and rang me, I told her about the scam and when they eventually rang back she asked them 'are you a scammer?'. They just hung up.
    Even if she'd fallen for it they would have gotten nowhere; I've replaced her Windows machine with a Linux box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

My parents got a phone call from them yesterday and I got one today, both surnames different but both beginning with an O so I suspect they are getting their names and numbers from the phonebook, I told the man that rang me that I had his number and was reporting him, he was cheeky and asked me who told me it was a scam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Recently I have started to receive calls that show on the 'phone as "00000" as the caller number. If I answer I hear a dialing tone. Are these people getting us to dial them now?

I wonder: When they kindly provide a web site to switch to, should we all not flame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Finally got a call from these today i was so happy (it's my mates house they called) i'd been waiting for ages. He's renting it and has Eircom but the phone is in the landlord's name. he let me speak to them..

He asked me to start my PC i told him it's very slow. he said ok he can wait. so i "started it" (i actually had a game of PES 12) went back with my old laptop it's my "lab rat" so to speak i try out stuff on it. he told me that i have 100's of viruses that are harmful and must be removed (i have alot of viruses on it but the are all my own viruses from my offensive security classes).

So he askes me to open up event viewer i follow his steps i know them in my mind. (i actually booted up a heavily modified backtrack 3 from my USB) he then says that he needs to remotely connect to my PC. he goes through the steps to perform in windows. since now I'm using Linux this prob won't work and i kept telling hm i 'm getting errors to waste time.

I then set up a remote connection for him to connect in backtrack. the beauty is that i have it set up to infect any computer that tries to connect to it with a key-logger, and about 25 different viruses and some rats . most of them FUD. I'd been working on a way to connect to it to avoid these in one of my security classes a while back and wasn't getting too far.

He then kept telling me about errors and about his website (it 404'd) and how my computer is better now that he can fix it.. he then offered my a subscription for him to automatically fix errors for €99 per year to which i replied "it ain't me who needs to be fixing their computer mate, Have an nice day" then hung up 90 minutes after he first called.

I now know he's based in India using Spectranet running XP professional SP3 and some more info like his background is of Cristiano Ronaldo and he has 30 desktop icons. i also got some passwords and chat logs but their all in Indian and i also know that he's gonna be reinstalling that windows soon. :D

^^^^^ Paragraphs Man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

^^^^^ Paragraphs Man!

haha i wrote that on my iPhone, paragraphs are hard to do. I edited it a little bit now that i'm on my laptop lol

Advertisement