Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I find it fun to mess with scammers..I've only ever had the "pleasure" of one phone call from them but kept them for ages. The way I see it is by wasting their time on me who wont fall for the scam there's less of a chance of them contacting somebody no will fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

These people are scam artists who don't care about rules or requests. Comreg has no authority over them so opting out of direct marketing calls will make no difference.

How do you explain that you don't get these type calls on mobiles so?

For land lines you need to request an "opt out for direct marketing calls" to your service provider, not Comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Joe Public wrote: »
    How do you explain that you don't get these type calls on mobiles so?

For land lines you need to request an "opt out for direct marketing calls" to your service provider, not Comreg.

Yeah, and if your service provider doesn't opt you out, then you go to Comreg to complain.

The point I was making is that if you have a problem with your service provider, like them not opting you out of direct marketing calls if you have requested it, you go to Comreg. You put in your complaint and more than likely it'll be sorted. However Comreg have no jurisdiction over these guys so opting out and complaining to Eircom or whoever won't make a slight bit of difference. If you have opted out and you say it to one of this lot after they ring, I doubt they'll hold their hands up and apologise. And if they do, they'll probably still ring back a day or two later.

No one knows how they get the numbers as some have said they're ex-directory and still get them. They obviously have some database with all the land line numbers in the country. More than likely they didn't get them legitimately and I doubt if you put that to them when they ring they'll hold their hands up.

As for the mobiles, maybe they haven't hacked or bought a list of numbers yet or maybe they haven't decided to target these numbers (yet) as their sales pitch involves getting the victim to log on to their computer and on a mobile there's a chance the person won't be at home.

EDIT - just saw the 2 posts after mine. I hadn't heard they were going after mobiles now, so scrap my theory in the last paragraph

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Received a call on my mobile today, and "call forwarded" displayed momentarily on the screen.

What does that signify?

number displayed was +253820308.

they also addressed me by name!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The rumours are certain customer service support databases got leaked and were passed on to the scammers, so if you rang up certain customer service companies and provided personal details thats possibly how their doing it.
    Interesting their targetting mobile phones now, they would be more expensive on VOIP providers I think!, so waste their time as much as possible if they call the mobile :)

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    The rumours are certain customer service support databases got leaked

Sold more likely !!
    they must make a fortune though when they catch an unsuspecting person, which presumably counters the costs of even calling mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

they must make a fortune though when they catch an unsuspecting person, which presumably counters the costs of even calling mobiles.

Of course. They've been at this for years and for every comedian stringing them along, there's a victim who they get money out of it. It's like any business, if it didn't make money - they wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Yeah, and if your service provider doesn't opt you out, then you go to Comreg to complain.

The point I was making is that if you have a problem with your service provider, like them not opting you out of direct marketing calls if you have requested it, you go to Comreg. You put in your complaint and more than likely it'll be sorted. However Comreg have no jurisdiction over these guys so opting out and complaining to Eircom or whoever won't make a slight bit of difference. If you have opted out and you say it to one of this lot after they ring, I doubt they'll hold their hands up and apologise. And if they do, they'll probably still ring back a day or two later.

No one knows how they get the numbers as some have said they're ex-directory and still get them. They obviously have some database with all the land line numbers in the country. More than likely they didn't get them legitimately and I doubt if you put that to them when they ring they'll hold their hands up.

As for the mobiles, maybe they haven't hacked or bought a list of numbers yet or maybe they haven't decided to target these numbers (yet) as their sales pitch involves getting the victim to log on to their computer and on a mobile there's a chance the person won't be at home.

EDIT - just saw the 2 posts after mine. I hadn't heard they were going after mobiles now, so scrap my theory in the last paragraph

Ok with the above.

One solution is to purchase a call screening device that you can get for around €100. You have to programme in numbers you want blocked and can even block by country codes. You can even decide to block any blank calling numbers. Some have self customisable voice menu options where you could have lots of fun when dealing with known scammers or any call from India.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Just received yet another phone call from these guys today. We have tried every trick in the book to make them go away. We are so tired of it. This must've been the 50th phone call as of recently. Its definitely harassment now and Eircom has told us there is nothing they can do. We tried stringing them along, playing dumb, wasting their time, or just plain hanging up. We even tried telling them this was not a residence and that they had reached the police, spelling it out for them. They apologized for the mix up and still wanted to continue!! No fear. Lately we keep telling them we only have Apple computers and they hang up, but they still phone back days later. You'd think that by now they'd know we aren't going to fall for the scam.
    We really don't want to do it, but has anyone had silent success by changing phone numbers??? AAARRRGGGHH.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

HDMI wrote: »
    Just received yet another phone call from these guys today. We have tried every trick in the book to make them go away. We are so tired of it. This must've been the 50th phone call as of recently. Its definitely harassment now and Eircom has told us there is nothing they can do. We tried stringing them along, playing dumb, wasting their time, or just plain hanging up. We even tried telling them this was not a residence and that they had reached the police, spelling it out for them. They apologized for the mix up and still wanted to continue!! No fear. Lately we keep telling them we only have Apple computers and they hang up, but they still phone back days later. You'd think that by now they'd know we aren't going to fall for the scam.
    We really don't want to do it, but has anyone had silent success by changing phone numbers??? AAARRRGGGHH.

Changing number should help, but I think that is a bit drastic for something that will probably be stopped soon anyways. If you waste their time for 50mins-1 hour then they will likely blacklist you number (one would hope :) ), Doubt its something worth changing number over though, and if you pick up the phone and hear an indian accent your computer sir is broken just hang up :) . Do try the wasting an hour of time though

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

yoyo wrote: »
    Changing number should help, but I think that is a bit drastic for something that will probably be stopped soon anyways. If you waste their time for 50mins-1 hour then they will likely blacklist you number (one would hope :) ), Doubt its something worth changing number over though, and if you pick up the phone and hear an indian accent your computer sir is broken just hang up :) ... Do try the wasting an hour of time though

Nick
    It might be coming to that (new number) stage now. They seem to be proving a point with us. We've tried wasting their time by keeping them on the line so I guess we didn't get blacklisted. Thanks though Yoyo.
    It's been going on for so long that it seems there's no end in sight. They must be making a mint off so many people every day. The only way they'll stop is if they stop making money. It's just frustrating that they won't get the message from us...that we, at this phone number, won't be scammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

HDMI wrote: »

Tell them you use Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I just gone one on my mobile from 01 706 1200. The reception in my room blows so it got cut off straight away. WTF!? Where did they get my number :S

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Very strange to see these calls coming from an 01 number .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Attol wrote: »
    I just gone one on my mobile from 01 706 1200. The reception in my room blows so it got cut off straight away. WTF!? Where did they get my number :S
    Your Network sold it to them, they share your Number with "Trusted Partners", it's in your T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've had 3 people this week get in contact with me in regards to them getting phone calls from these feckers.

One customer came into and was scammed €150. She had no idea that she was done over until I had explained it to her.

Just there a mate rang me and told me he had one of them on the line and that he had already remote connected to the machine. It's a good thing he rang me, he was almost going to pay the €80 charge until I told him to hang up the landline and shut off the machine. :eek:

Their current name is TechBuddha, apparently :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I received yet another of their many calls to me today. This time it was "Mark" who is, apparently, a computer technician with some Microsoft support business. Oddly, for someone with such a western name, he had a fractured Indian accent. As a Mac user I am unfamiliar with Microsoft services.

To my shame I allowed myself to descent into racism by suggesting that he jump back to whatever s**t hole he climbed out of in Calcutta, and made my shame worse by ending by telling dear "Mark" to f**k off. Oh dear! Confession for me first thing in the morning!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've had 3 people this week get in contact with me in regards to them getting phone calls from these feckers.

One customer came into and was scammed €150. She had no idea that she was done over until I had explained it to her.

Just there a mate rang me and told me he had one of them on the line and that he had already remote connected to the machine. It's a good thing he rang me, he was almost going to pay the €80 charge until I told him to hang up the landline and shut off the machine. :eek:

Their current name is TechBuddha, apparently :pac:
    What age are these people getting caught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 La Coka Nostra

I got that call a month ago, i had told the indian man on the phone that i hadent got a charger for me laptop and its been dead for weeks, and he insisted that i run out and buy one while he waits on the line! I said id ring him back and hung up on him, laughed and continued as normal. 10 minutes later he rings back and starts shouting ''WHY YOU HANG UP ON ME! IM THE COMPUTER PROFESSIONAL!'' he then asked me to check something on mt computer and i did as i wasent connected up to the net, just to be safe. He said i had errors and wanted me to download something of his site, so i humoureed him and enabled me internet, he wanted me to go onto my address bar and type in the name of the site so i jus typed it on google to see if 'scam' would be predicted and it was. So i was telling him i was doing what he was asking me while i was reading what people had said about it. He finally said to download something and i said straight out ''No'' he became more unproffesional so i started telling him i know its a scam and all that bollicks. He hung up and i rang back. A women answered, ''How may i help you'' she said i replyed ''Ya may take me ****ing number of your list yi hear?''
    Now its a month later havent heard from them since. as anyone here downloaded there scam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

The reason they get away with is because of peoples ignorance towards IT , The number people still that don't realize that they can get a capital letter without pressing caps is amazing.

Just because some says there form or MS doesn't mean they are anyway , MS would never call you. Never ever let any one remote in to you pc, if they call you .

Also you need get this problem out to the public , like get it discussed on The Frontline , or Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mach1982 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy.

Am I mistaken in saying it was done? I'm pretty sure it was.

I have used the breakdown in communication to have a laugh with these jokers by pretending to be delighted to be hearing from them regarding the delivery of the computer I have just won on their prize
    draw!

They sometimes come across so seriously on their scam that it is understandable that some naive individuals will inevitably get caught out.

I have considered using Gay Byrne's

"Are you familiar with the phrase "f*ck off"?"

ASSHol#s.

Its worth considering how we would react if the caller was Irish accented, educated, and calling from an 01 number with a plausible line in internet security breaches etc. and was using ones personal friends' recommendations, referrals etc. harvested from faceboook etc

Might have a lot of success who knows?

At the moment these scams are like phonejacker, but a professional outfit could make a fortune.

I'm gonna do up a business plan tonight to be in to FAS about it first thing in the morning.

Yes, good idea. Get this discussed on The Frontline. There are many people this scam will fool.

could be anything from surveys, internet (enter your number you can win an IPhone 4) or they just be guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

this scam must be going on for 2yrs now and their still stalking this country...do they not know that "we are bankrupt" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I've been getting a phone call two days running now at exactly 37 minutes past the hour from 01-845-1402.

This it to my mobile as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Edthehead

Got a call again last week from a 01 number, third one in the last year, I was trying to string him along but got bored and started shouting abuse at him.... he hung up.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭combat5

hi all have just got a call from a company that is saying there some thing wrong with my computer i thought instantly scam so i looked it up and i was right
    the number the called me with was 0015262981 so watch out the company said they where online pc care.

Advertisement