Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

There's a thread on this that's been going a while now.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Attol wrote: »
    I just gone one on my mobile from 01 706 1200. The reception in my room blows so it got cut off straight away. WTF!? Where did they get my number :S

Just got a call from that number, answered after a few rings and it hung up as soon as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Have they finally stopped?Ive had well over a dozen calls but I have not had one in a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

No they are still contacting my aunt every day..

Kare Bear wrote: »
    Have they finally stopped?Ive had well over a dozen calls but I have not had one in a few weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leahshea

I received a similar call yesterday and went along not thinking straight. I was eventually asked to go to www.secure.me not realising it was logmein allowing remote access. I did go as far as keying in the 6 digit pin but as soon as a connection was established I closed the chat box and hung up.

Now my question is whether my information has been compromised since I did not allow them to take control? I have disabled anything doing with lmi.exe on my firewall an disabled remote access.

Please help! Appreciate it..

leahshea wrote: »
    I received a similar call yesterday and went along not thinking straight. I was eventually asked to go to www.secure.me not realising it was logmein allowing remote access. I did go as far as keying in the 6 digit pin but as soon as a connection was established I closed the chat box and hung up.

Now my question is whether my information has been compromised since I did not allow them to take control? I have disabled anything doing with lmi.exe on my firewall an disabled remote access.

Please help! Appreciate it..

Make sure you remove the logmein application in add/remove programs. I'd say you should be ok though

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

Make sure you remove the logmein application in add/remove programs. I'd say you should be ok though

Nick

Thanks. From what I've read, seems like it doesn't install any applications but rather runs an applet that clears itself once the session ends. I've gone and removed what I could find from it on my firewall and also stopped any remote access to my comp. Just want to know if they would have been able to do anything to my comp just by establishing a connection. I've done some reading around and some are saying yes, while others say I neede to grant them further access to control my comp. Sorry it's so lengthy... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Yea, you'll be fine if you cut the connection that quick, delete any programs installed.

And run http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

And give yourself a good kick:p

Thanks. From what I've read, seems like it doesn't install any applications but rather runs an applet that clears itself once the session ends. I've gone and removed what I could find from it on my firewall and also stopped any remote access to my comp. Just want to know if they would have been able to do anything to my comp just by establishing a connection. I've done some reading around and some are saying yes, while others say I neede to grant them further access to control my comp. Sorry it's so lengthy... Thanks
    I don't think so. The Indians ring back some people that hang up and tell them lies about disabiling their internet and other similar BS.

Reinstall Windows if your're anyway worried. Very easy nowadays.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. The Indians ring back some people that hang up and tell them lies about disabiling their internet and other similar BS.

Reinstall Windows if your're anyway worried. Very easy nowadays.

Thanks I will run malwarebytes. Yea the fella did ring up about 5 mins after and I hung up again. I hope cause they hadnt gotten what they wanted.

Yea the fella did ring up about 5 mins after and I hung up again. I hope cause they hadnt gotten what they wanted.
    Yup, that's where the other stuff comes from, the threating customer service aftercall.

Is this a Laptop? If your're unsure of how to reinstall we'll help ya, handy to know if you ever picked up a bad virus or the like.

Yup, that's where the other stuff comes from, the threating customer service aftercall.

Is this a Laptop? If your're unsure of how to reinstall we'll help ya, handy to know if you ever picked up a bad virus or the like.

It's a desktop. I would appreciate any help you can give me with the reinstall. Thanks

It's a desktop. I would appreciate any help you can give me with the reinstall. Thanks

Do you think it's absolutely necessary though?

From what you've said, No, their's no need.

Start a new thread if you wanted to though about reinstalling.

From what you've said, No, their's no need.

Start a new thread if you wanted to though about reinstalling.

Now read something else about logmein here http://m.itproportal.com/2011/11/21/5-things-know-about-logmein-rescue/ that the connection stays awake even when it is reboot or shutdown. But then it also says that customers can shut the link with the stop button. Now I'm confused. (Wasn't able to copy and paste the text here)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Got a call to-day from a guy with a foreign accent. He introduced himself as being from the Microsoft Technical Support section and was offering a repair service for my computer which they had identified as being faulty. He started off by asking how I was to-day, so I told him I was quite unwell (which had only a little truth in it). He immediately hung up!!!!
    I felt much better afterwards, he had unintentionally provided some benefit of the therapeutic kind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had one last week telling me that he was a computer protection racket. Couldn't stop laughing at at him enough to be able to string him along for a while.

Now read something else about logmein here http://m.itproportal.com/2011/11/21/5-things-know-about-logmein-rescue/ that the connection stays awake even when it is reboot or shutdown. But then it also says that customers can shut the link with the stop button. Now I'm confused. (Wasn't able to copy and paste the text here)

If you uninstall it you should be ok, logmein rescue is a legitimate application, so there shouldn't be an issue with removal. From what I have heard about these guys is their only after your credit card details (over the phone) to use a legitimate payment service for their "services". I have not heard of malware/spyware being installed by them but you never know. As above run a mbam scan, anti virus scan (with microsoft security essentials for eg) just in case,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Kept a guy on the phone for ages this morning, and was eventually put onto his "supervisor" when I eventually told him I was running Windows 95.

Supervisor tries in vain to tell me my computer has an "electrical virus". I then string him along for another 5 minutes and he started to get thick. he eventually put the phone down when I asked him what football team did he support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

When will the calls stop!!!

A call Friday and Saturday from this number 001217, just got another call now from this number 0044133292729, and to top that off I got a letter this morning saying I won the Euro Millions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

hellboy99 wrote: »

A call Friday and Saturday from this number 001217, just got another call now from this number 0044133292729, and to top that off I got a letter this morning saying I won the Euro Millions :rolleyes:

Wow you're really lucky!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ill say.....
    I bet you the jammy fecker didn't even buy a ticket..:p:rolleyes:

KoolKid wrote: »
    Ill say.....
    I bet you the jammy fecker didn't even buy a ticket..:p:rolleyes:
    How did you know that :confused: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Congratulations on your win!
    Can I suggest that you might now obtain the services of a reputable financial adviser?
    We can show you how to invest your winnings into a Nigerian company who's chairman has been deposed by the Nigerian government but has several millions in a bank account that he can no longer access. Given your bank account details, he will transfer those millions to you if you undertake to share them with him. There will, of course, be a transaction fee that you will be obliged to pay, but that is a small price for financial security for the rest of your life.

Just submit your bank account details, log in numbers, and size of underpants. Funds will then be transferred and you will have gained a friend and a pension for life. The future is yours!

Well almost!

Welcome to the club of the attempted scammed hellboy99! We are becoming an Internet majority.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just got a call, guy said he was from a company called E-Solving. Decided to string him along for about 10 minutes, he then got very annoyed when I told him I was using a Mac :D:P Lets hope thats enough to get them to f**k off for a while!!

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Just got a call, guy said he was from a company called E-Solving. Decided to string him along for about 10 minutes, he then got very annoyed when I told him I was using a Mac :D:P Lets hope thats enough to get them to f**k off for a while!!
    They rang me again today and like you I decided to have some fun, here's how it went (surprised it went on for so long before he twigged :p):
    Caller: Hello I'm with Microsoft and you have a problem with your "Vindows" :P

Me: I do, I only just got them installed! What is the problem and how can it be fixed?

Caller: Is your Windows open?

Me: No, do I need to open them?

Caller: Yes, open your windows and tell me when that is done.

Me: Ok, give me a few minutes.

Caller: That is fine sir, I will wait on the line.

I just sat quietly for 5 minutes and then got back to talking to the guy.

Me: My windows are open, now what, what is wrong?

Caller: Your windows has a problem and you need to follow my instructions so I can fix it.

Me: Your joking, I only just got the install done a few days ago, it cost me a lot of money, will this cost me more money.

Caller: No, no sir, this is part of the after care service we provide and I will try fix it from here.

Me: Ok, how can you fix it from where you are, surely you need to call out to fix the issue.

Caller: I can do it from here if you follow my instructions, do you have internet?

Me: I do.

Caller: Is your windows connected to the internet now?

Me: No, how do I do that?

Caller: Do you have an internet connection on your windows?

Me: I don't think so, how do I check that?

Caller: Can you click on "Start" and then...

Me: I can see "Start", where is it?

Caller: It is on the bottom left.

Me: No I'm not seeing it?

Caller: It could be hidden, please do the following, right click...

Me: I right click on my windows?

Caller: Yes

Me: Still nothing happening, should I try another one of my windows?

Caller: What, do you have more windows in your home?

Me: Yes, I have 9 of them and they are all open, none of them have a start button?

Caller: Are they all connected together?

Me: No they are all separate.

Caller: Ok, can you go to your main windows and restart.

Me: Ok, I will do that now. I'm at my main window, what do I do now.

Caller: I need you to restart.

Me: Yes, but I still can't see any start button?

Caller: Did you shut down your windows and restart?

Me: You want me to close all my windows and restart again?

Caller: Just your main one for now sir.

Me: I've done that and still nothing?

Caller: Do you get an error message on the screen sir when you restarted?

Me: What?

Caller: Do you get an error message on the screen sir when you restarted?

Me: My windows show an error message?

Caller: Yes sir, you seem to have a bigger problem than we first thought and we need to try and resolve this first before we can proceed. Can you turn off your computer from the wall.

Me: I have a problem with my computer now too! I thought it was just my windows?

Caller: The problem is with your windows but I need to try and get your computer to boot up correctly first.

Me: My computer is on at the minute and working fine :confused:

Caller: Your computer is on and working?

Me: Yes

Caller: Ok, what type of windows do you have?

Me: Double glazed.

Caller: What?

Me: My windows are double glazed, I got them fitted into my home last week, can I close all of them now as it's starting to rain.

He hung up, I don't think he was happy, I was though lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

They rang me again today and like you I decided to have some fun, here's how it went (surprised it went on for so long before he twigged :p):

He hung up, I don't think he was happy, I was though lol :p

Thanks for making me spill my morning coffee while laughing my head off:D

ART6 wrote: »
    Thanks for making me spill my morning coffee while laughing my head off:D
    I don't know who is laughing more, me or you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Got a call yesterday evening from an unknow number from a person pertaining to be from the "Irish Marketing Institute" (or something along those lines). I couldn't talk but she said she would call me back to ask a few questions for a survey.
    Anyone heard anything about this type of call? It could be official but the unknown number and foreign accent set off alarm bells.

Advertisement