Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why didn't you ask if he would mind calling back when your :rolleyes:husband gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daniela.v

Actually if i remember right it is also a woman but she was looking for my husband a few days ago,When I told her that he is in the office closed the phone right away and never call back...I couldn't see the phone no... May be he will call when my husband get in.. i think will be fun how he will explain to an technical IT guy how hackers are trying to get in my PC.
    I ask myself how they can get your phone no and they know your name??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I'm feeling so unloved - I've never had any of these calls
    or email scammers
    or winning lotto letters
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Realtine wrote: »
    I'm feeling so unloved - I've never had any of these calls
    or email scammers
    or winning lotto letters
    :(

PM me your number and the next time they call me I'll pass them on to you.

No need to thank me, I enjoy helping people:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daniela.v

I investigated how they can get your number and i was surprised that i saw my number in two web site 118.ie and 11890.ie.My question is how my number get listed there who gave my phone no Upc???What about the privacy policy ??I am thinking to closed the land-line This is unacceptable to see your phone no and address in websites that i never HEARD .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I got a call from them once and tried to see how long I could keep them on for a laugh (and I was curious about how they operated). It was over 20mins before they hung up after I said something that probably gave away my technical knowledge.

My mother also got a call from them, she told them "I have a PC! That's great news. Where is it?".

daniela.v wrote: »
    I investigated how they can get your number and i was surprised that i saw my number in two web site 118.ie and 11890.ie.My question is how my number get listed there who gave my phone no Upc???What about the privacy policy ??I am thinking to closed the land-line This is unacceptable to see your phone no and address in websites that i never HEARD .

One obvious answer is from the telephone directory unless your number is ex-directory.

The other answer is that businesses do sell customer lists to other businesses.
    Many companies ask for a telephone number but how often do we ask them about their privacy policy?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It saddens me when people hang up on these scammers, the way to treat them is to string it along for as long as absolutely possible giving false information, play dumb & waste their time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

EnterNow wrote: »
    It saddens me when people hang up on these scammers, the way to treat them is to string it along for as long as absolutely possible giving false information, play dumb & waste their time.
    I agree,
    Search You Tube there's lots of good examples.
    Maybe start by asking them to hang on while you get your credit card 7 bank details incase they need them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

this happened to my mother a while back, thankfully she's technologically....retarded to say the least, she couldn't follow what they were saying and panicked and so just hung up. They keep ringing and when they do, it says ''out of area''. However whenever I answer it's just quiet.

It seems like they only do it if the mother answers, I'd love to wind the **** out of them. :pac:

also did anyone else get a cheque in the post for €850 signed by THE GOVERNMENT. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

HowAreWe wrote: »
    this happened to my mother a while back, thankfully she's technologically....retarded to say the least, she couldn't follow what they were saying and panicked and so just hung up.
    It was the same with my mom except they got so frustrated and hung up on her.

Panorama are covering this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Got two calls off these scammers today, hung up the first time but had a good laugh the second. Kept him on for about 20 mins asking loads of questions. He got really ticked off when I told him I'd read about these scams asking for access to people's computers, started demanding if I knew Microsoft personally (didn't realise Microsoft was a person :rolleyes:).

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how he knew my parent's names? Before you ask, our phone number is in the phone book under my dad's name as gaeilge (he likes to make things awkward for people), however the man on the phone said their names in English and had our address. I would be more worried if we didn't live in the back arse of nowhere so can't be found :P. Still, anyone know how these arseholes get these details?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Liam90 wrote: »
    got a missed call from this number today.:eek:
    As did I. Sad I missed them :(

I so wanted to fcuk with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whatsyourface

I have a missed call from this crowd. Is there any way for them to have gotten my bank details without me telling them or will i be fine??
    017061200 is the number right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I have a missed call from this crowd. Is there any way for them to have gotten my bank details without me telling them or will i be fine??

Many ways for scam artisits to get your bank details, they could have gone through your bins, skimmed your laser....

But I doubt these particular scammers would be ringing you to go through an hour long scam if they had them already, so dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whatsyourface

Many ways for scam artisits to get your bank details, they could have gone through your bins, skimmed your laser....

But I doubt these particular scammers would be ringing you to go through an hour long scam if they had them already, so dont worry about it.

Good point!! No need for me to run down and cancel my boyfriends bank account then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Good point!! No need for me to run down and cancel my boyfriends bank account then!!

There isn't any way that they can get your bank details from a random telephone call that you didn't answer. However, there is always the option to transfer the contents of his account to yours and tell him it's for reasons of security. That way, if you ever fall out, you've got the money:D

Cancel or empty?:D.

Seriously though, as others have said, no need to worry at all.

I took a call from them earlier in the week, the first I've had for a while.
    To begin with I made out that I didn't understand, duh I'm thick, then I asked them to hold whilst I moved to the computer room and kept them on hold for just over 10 mins. When I picked up the phone again I just kept saying " Hello ? is anyone there, can you hear me". The frustration in the woman's voice was great. Then I hung up.
    About 10 mins later the 'phone went again with the same number showing so I made out that I didn't speak english, just german. Another 5 mins or so of their time wasted!!.

As others have said before, I've you're not busy when you get one of these calls, just take them round and round in circles.

Great fun :D. Mind you, I'm easily amused!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Has anyone tried moving to an ex-directory number?

If so and it hasn't made any difference, has anyone changed their phone number?

After 2.5 years, I'm getting near my limit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Newly Detected Crisis Virus Infects Windows, Macs and Virtual Machines
    When Crisis runs on a Windows system, it treats any virtual-machine instance as a file system, mounts it as a drive,and then copies itself into VM instance. The next time the virtual machine is run, it will be infected with Crisis, according to an analysis published by Symantec on August 20.

The ultimate mission of the Crisis malware is to install a backdoor and request commands from a server at a specific Internet address. On Mac OS X, the malicious code installs itself as either a user, or—if possible—an administrator. On both Windows and Mac systems, the program will monitor and record activities in several instant messaging programs—such as Adium and Skype as well as popular browsers. The information is then sent back to the command-and-control server.

Just something to watch out for when playing with these scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just heard about a case over the pond here, a woman brought her PC into us to look over, because "Microsoft called her to tell her the computer was full of viruses". Kinda glad she brought it in. The techs gave it a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Grizz

Noooo! They have my mobile number! Anyone else get a call from them in their mobile?
    I played around with them for while a few times. Typed the instructions into notepad instead and saved it - very same as most above.
    I wonder did I piss them off and now they going after me?
    Btw, how are they getting away with this for so long? Have the cops not received any complaints to work from?

Grizz wrote: »
    Noooo! They have my mobile number! Anyone else get a call from them in their mobile?
    I played around with them for while a few times. Typed the instructions into notepad instead and saved it - very same as most above.
    I wonder did I piss them off and now they going after me?
    Btw, how are they getting away with this for so long? Have the cops not received any complaints to work from?

No, wish they did ring the mobile. Love the lads, old friends at this stage. Im making it a goal to get one of them to admit to their scamming.

How are they getting away with it? Theyre running their operations from an underground cavern in deepest bangalore, what are the gards gonna do?

The fact that they've got your mobile number would make me think that they've got into someones comp. Check with friends just to see if they've had calls on their mobiles. The only thing you can do now, if you're worried, is the obvious, change number.

The problem with trying to stop these people is that they are pretty certainly outside of europe, in countries that haven't got the money or inclination to stop them.

The fact that they've got your mobile number would make me think that they've got into someones comp. Check with friends just to see if they've had calls on their mobiles. The only thing you can do now, if you're worried, is the obvious, change number.

The problem with trying to stop these people is that they are pretty certainly outside of europe, in countries that haven't got the money or inclination to stop them.

they get numbers from marketing lists. mobile or landline is all the one to them.

Its hard to track where they got your number from, any legit organisation has to say where they get it from, but theyll only say "distribution lists" which depending on where you gave your info from could be anywhere. But as we know our pc friends here arent legit so they wont say.

what you can do when giving out info is lets say your real name is "Clint Silver" When registering details, with a site, use a middle initial that lets you know. if its with boards.ie for example Id use "Clint B Silver". I use a gmail account for my main mail, eveyr time I reg with a site, I update what details I use in a sent mail to myself. someone sends a letter out to clint b silver, I know where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Grizz

They have now phoned me 7 times in the 4 days. I've ignored all calls but does anyone know how to get them to stop?
    Might buy a vuvuzela and blast the ears off them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Grizz wrote: »
    They have now phoned me 7 times in the 4 days. I've ignored all calls but does anyone know how to get them to stop?
    Might buy a vuvuzela and blast the ears off them!
    Masturbate down the phone to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd love to get a call from them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's a long call, I wouldn't have had his patience, but fair play to him.. :D

http://soundcloud.com/dmphoto/support-call

It only really starts getting funny after 26 minutes..

They say that they are ringing from Dublin 2.

EDIT: Just got to the end of that, 55 minutes long.. The Indian guy. "Goodbye, take care, and.. F**k your ass" :D

Advertisement