Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Had a weird one from a lady speaking in broken English today.
    Said she was calling from a company, which, wait for it, sounded like "Anglo", and she was trying to get Irish peoples' reaction to the economic downturn.

I asked her if she was calling from a reputable company and she didnt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Had a weird one from a lady speaking in broken English today.
    Said she was calling from a company, which, wait for it, sounded like "Anglo", and she was trying to get Irish peoples' reaction to the economic downturn.

I asked her if she was calling from a reputable company and she didnt know.

This sounds as though it could be fun:). I hope I get a call from her, I'll tell her how lonely I am and that I'm glad she though to ring me!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had a client in two weeks ago who actually paid them. Poor woman was in hysterics, if she wasnt so upset I may have laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I am studying computer security and fired up the “Tor Browser” for study purposes. Two days later I get a call from 01-7061200. Coincidence?? The only problem is it was at 8.25pm and I don’t answer unrecognised numbers after 5.30.

These scammers are a disgrace. The telco’s should be able to stop them but at the very least general public should be made aware of the scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

Got a call from them a good while ago.

Guy told me he could see I had experienced a problem with Windows.

So to confirm I said "so you can see from your end I'm running windows at this ip address and the exact nature of the issue".

Of course he said yes. Then when I told him how incredible that was as I was running OS X the line went silent....then dead. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just got a missed call from (01) 7061200, they hung up within 2 rings I'd say, so didn't get a chance to answer. Did a quick google on the number and this thread came up. I'm not going to read through 81 pages but chances are I didn't miss anything exciting from the caller!!

No idea how they got my number though, haven't given it out recently to anybody. Why can't eircom cancel these numbers though if they are known scammers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Mits wrote: »
    I am studying computer security and fired up the “Tor Browser” for study purposes. Two days later I get a call from 01-7061200. Coincidence??
    ah yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

These lads keep calling my grandparents house.
    While I was there today I spoke to 'Ryan' for 45 minutes. :) Oh we had a few breakdowns in communication....
    When he asked could I see my wallpaper I told him I had no wallpaper, my walls are painted... I had to correct his morse code (phonetic alphabet but when I told him he was speaking morse code he was confuddled) and wondered if he could call to my house to pick up the computer, he thought I wanted him to call to pick me up, silly Ryan. He was rather confused when I told him he couldn't be online (I'm online tech support he kept reassuring me) because I wasn't on the internet. When he asked how many yellow warning triangles came up, I explained there were rakes of the yokes, Ryan kept asking 'WHAT?' Then I explained I was colour blind so couldn't see them. I also spelled out the error message as he requested, ' F - U - C - K - Y - O - U - D - O - Y - O - U - T - H - I - N - K - I - A - M - S - T - U - P - I - D'

In the end he copped on to me, but i did ask him if he enjoyed me wasting his time and if he enjoyed ripping people off. He wasn't keen to reply. Though he did say, 'forgot about computer, I will call you on my personal mobile later and I will pick you up tonight.'
    Turns out Ryan has a sense of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Another one of these today: "Allo. My name is Kevin. Could I spick to the gentleman of the house?"
    "There are no gentlemen in this house. F**k off!"

Surely this must die out eventually when the whole world wakes up to the biggest scam of the century? Do these dipsticks spend their lives being told to f**k off? Maybe they do, but what a way to make a living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ART6 wrote: »
    Another one of these today: "Allo. My name is Kevin. Could I spick to the gentleman of the house?"
    "There are no gentlemen in this house. F**k off!"

Surely this must die out eventually when the whole world wakes up to the biggest scam of the century? Do these dipsticks spend their lives being told to f**k off? Maybe they do, but what a way to make a living!

It's like any business. As long as it's profitable it'll continue. I know more and more people are becoming aware of this scan but it's obviously still worth their while to be doing this. For every wasted call they make where people drag it out for a laugh, there will still be someone who falls for it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

funny at the start but fck me it's annoying now.. i work nights and i'm getting at least two of these calls a week. i try to remember to turn the phone on silent before going to bed but sometimes forget. driving me crazy!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I received yet another of these calls last week, from a guy with a mangled Indian accent, who introduced himself as "Mark." He explained that he represented Microsoft Support Agency (or something). Just out of curiosity, although I normally simply say "F**k off!" I thought I would try a lie. I said that I was a senior engineer with Microsoft Customer Support, and strangely had never heard of his organisation.

"Really?" He said. "Well, I have called you to tell you that we have identified a major problem with your computer...." From this I can only conclude that these are not calls from real people but, instead, are made by robots, hence the strangled accents.

In future I intend to return to my more usual "F**k off!"

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

"-Sir we have received indications that your computer is in danger."
    "-Oh? Do continue."
    "-Yes i am calling you to let you know that your compu."
    "-Yes, i am aware of that."
    "-Good. Can i have you turn on your comp.."
    "-No. I am aware of that you just said that. How come i haven't noticed any of these errors?"
    "-If you only could turn on your computer.."
    "-It is on."
    "-Good. So let me.."
    "-But before we start, i need to know what error message YOU receive from MY computer that I cannot see?"
    "-Sir.. It is a red cross with a yellow sign"
    "-That could be anything? You still haven't told me what the error states, nor which application it involves nor any type of indicative that my computer is at risk."
    "-Sir..."
    "-Are you trying to tell me that you want to access my computer?"
    "-No sir..."
    "-Then what is it that you want me to do?
    "-I want you to.."
    "-Let me guess: You want me to edit my keys in the regeditor, so you can charge me for some dummy application, am i right?"
    "-Ok sir, it appears that you do not want to listen to me, so i will hangup now."
    "-Wait.. You never answered my question?"
    *CLICK*

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Allyall wrote: »
    It's a long call, I wouldn't have had his patience, but fair play to him.. :D

http://soundcloud.com/dmphoto/support-call

It only really starts getting funny after 26 minutes..

They say that they are ringing from Dublin 2.

EDIT: Just got to the end of that, 55 minutes long.. The Indian guy. "Goodbye, take care, and.. F**k your ass" :D

"i wouldn't let my monkey access my computer and i have several" i lol'd so much

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I literally just got one of these calls. I'm in Balbriggan and when the phone rang, the caller id said 0000000. He asked for my father by name and when I told him that he wasn't here he asked me if he was the registered owner of a windows pc. Then he asked if I went on the internet. He said it had downloaded malicious software and was high risk. I said it was grand (I regularly check it and clean the registry myself. He just kept going as if I said nothing. Told me to turn on the computer and he'd guide me through a few steps to fix "the software part of the computer". Just hung up on him then.

If anyone has the time they should do as myself and a few others do.

Keep him on the line as long as possible, ask him to hold on whilst you go to the computer room, lay the 'phone down and go and make a cup of tea/coffee, tell him that you are having trouble turning comp on/understanding him, and can he help etc.
    You get the idea.

All the time he's tied up with you he's leaving others alone.

And as I've said before, it's great craic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

I got a call the other day from this number and looked it up and found here. Then my mother answers my phone to it tonight and they say they are ringing from a Skoda department on behalf of a Skoda dealership in Kilkenny. They had my number (which the garage has as contact) my mother's name (the car buyer) and knew that she had been in for a service recently and were doing a follow up call. They only wanted to know if the car was okay and that she was satisfied with the service.

Seems legit?

Its from the same (01)7061200 number. Could someone else have been given this number now?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Possibly. If the scammers released their lease on the phone line it could have been assigned to a new subscriber. Ask the shop how long they've had that number.

Overheal wrote: »
    Possibly. If the scammers released their lease on the phone line it could have been assigned to a new subscriber. Ask the shop how long they've had that number.

No answer now. Ho hum.

I might ring the garage in the morning when they're open. Strange time for them to call but all the follow up calls from that place have been at odd times. I think they outsource their questionnaire to a company who can do it whenever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Philthy wrote: »
    I got a call the other day from this number and looked it up and found here. Then my mother answers my phone to it tonight and they say they are ringing from a Skoda department on behalf of a Skoda dealership in Kilkenny. They had my number (which the garage has as contact) my mother's name (the car buyer) and knew that she had been in for a service recently and were doing a follow up call. They only wanted to know if the car was okay and that she was satisfied with the service.

Seems legit?

Its from the same (01)7061200 number. Could someone else have been given this number now?

I live in Dublin but was working in Mayo one time when I had a problem with my car (a Skoda too) and brought it to the Skoda dealer in Castlebar to have a look. Then a few weeks later I got a call, not from them but from an agency working on their behalf to see was I satisfied with the service. It was all about the car and they didn't look for any personal details or anything so it was all legit so i'd say you're alright in this case.

I know they do these follow up calls, I got them at the start too. The garage is supposed to do them after purchase and then Skoda checks up on them. I know the garage I bought from fired a few guys because they didn't bother following up and they lost a fair few grand of a bonus :eek: when Skoda checked up and dropped them in it.

Seems to me that you've answered your own original question:).

So relax and rest easy is my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

We get 2 or 3 people per week coming into us after getting a call like these. The callers can be quite convincing to those who might be unaware of the scam.

We get 2 or 3 people per week coming into us after getting a call like these. The callers can be quite convincing to those who might be unaware of the scam.

Are you talking about the Skoda call post by philthy or the computer virus calls?.
    I really can't see that philthy has any problems with his calls from what he's said.

Okay, thanks. Just thought the time of the call was strange.

I really can't see that philthy has any problems with his calls from what he's said.

And I'm a lady!! And not a Little Britain type with a tache!!

Philthy wrote: »
    And I'm a lady!! And not a Little Britain type with a tache!!

I really do apologise. Don't know what I was thinking of, I'm not usually sexist. Normally I would put "his/her" if the gender is not clear.

I do hope I'm forgiven for this terrible error.

Love and kisses,

Irishgoatman.

Love and kisses gratefully accepted Irishgoatman. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Advertisement