Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hadn't heard from these types in months, but had another call from them today. Kept me amused for a few minutes whilst I made a cup of coffee far away from the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Looks like someone is at last trying to do something about this!

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/10/pecon.shtm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

The_Thing wrote: »

Thanks for this, the only thing is that it's not mentioned as to when this crackdown operation took place and I see here that robinph had a call from a scammer yesterday :confused:.
    I also note that it's only money scammed from people that's mentioned. I'd be more worried about possible identity theft than the amount of money they talk about. I know they could get plenty of personal info by going through facebook and the like but the only place to get details of where I bank, who I shop on-line with, do I use debit of credit cards,full details of friends including 'phone numbers and email addresses, details of what I drive, it's all here on my comp!!!.

So where does that leave us? It's a start I suppose.

Thanks ART6, same piece but from it's original source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

They're still making these calls, just got one from 001253820308 ,a nice Indian gentleman who told me 'fuck off' when I asked about his herd of goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

Thanks for this, the only thing is that it's not mentioned as to when this crackdown operation took place and I see here that robinph had a call from a scammer yesterday :confused:.
    I also note that it's only money scammed from people that's mentioned. I'd be more worried about possible identity theft than the amount of money they talk about. I know they could get plenty of personal info by going through facebook and the like but the only place to get details of where I bank, who I shop on-line with, do I use debit of credit cards,full details of friends including 'phone numbers and email addresses, details of what I drive, it's all here on my comp!!!.

So where does that leave us? It's a start I suppose.

Thanks ART6, same piece but from it's original source.
    just gnore them and do not let them in your comp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Unfortunately as soon as one of these operations is shut down another one probably opens up next door (and probably by the same people)

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    just gnore them and do not let them in your comp

That's fine for us but I'm looking at the larger picture.
    Not everyone with a computer comes on to this site.
    Not everyone with a computer is wise to, or aware of, this sort of con.

I'm sorry but saying just ignore them is as bad as saying I'm alright jack.

I've rung the local radio station a few times when I've received one of these calls and they've put it out on air that they're happening in the area again.
    I suggest that others do the same. Local radio is better for this type of warning than national radio in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gandr

an indian guy phones me at least once a month,he knows my name,which is strange.he tells me hes from microsoft and would i turn on my computer.i always refuse and put the phone down.i think someday ill egg him on and see what hes after,but no way is he getting any card particulars from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If anyone has the time they should do as myself and a few others do.

Keep him on the line as long as possible, ask him to hold on whilst you go to the computer room, lay the 'phone down and go and make a cup of tea/coffee, tell him that you are having trouble turning comp on/understanding him, and can he help etc.
    You get the idea.

All the time he's tied up with you he's leaving others alone.

And as I've said before, it's great craic.:D

+1 to this. The first time I got one of these calls I lost the cool. Since then I thought better of it and usually rip the piss out them instead. I have answered in Irish, I have told him my name was Detective Sargent Ryan and that that we had our own IT people here at the Police Station. I have also told them I was very disappointed to hear I had a virus after his colleague had been on only a month ago to fix it and I demanded to speak to his manager to complain.

Nothing shakes them, they eventually hang up only to ring again in a few months time.

I was thinking of a more permanent solution which I am told people have used on stalkers. Speak really quietly and when he is straining to listen give an almighty blow on a referee's whistle down the line. That might do him an injury but I reckon he can't exactly complain to the cops can he?

Deise Vu wrote: »
    +1 to this. The first time I got one of these calls I lost the cool. Since then I thought better of it and usually rip the piss out them instead. I have answered in Irish, I have told him my name was Detective Sargent Ryan and that that we had our own IT people here at the Police Station. I have also told them I was very disappointed to hear I had a virus after his colleague had been on only a month ago to fix it and I demanded to speak to his manager to complain.

Nothing shakes them, they eventually hang up only to ring again in a few months time.

I was thinking of a more permanent solution which I am told people have used on stalkers. Speak really quietly and when he is straining to listen give an almighty blow on a referee's whistle down the line. That might do him an injury but I reckon he can't exactly complain to the cops can he?
    all the ploys are a waste of time. just leave down the phone with him on the line and ignore him. that is what the malicious calls people say

• Advertisement

That's fine for us but I'm looking at the larger picture.
    Not everyone with a computer comes on to this site.
    Not everyone with a computer is wise to, or aware of, this sort of con.

I'm sorry but saying just ignore them is as bad as saying I'm alright jack.

I've rung the local radio station a few times when I've received one of these calls and they've put it out on air that they're happening in the area again.
    I suggest that others do the same. Local radio is better for this type of warning than national radio in my opinion.
    how many times do people have to be told it is a con? Presumably you reached the same audience more or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

mattjack wrote: »
    They're still making these calls, just got one from 001253820308 ,a nice Indian gentleman who told me 'fuck off' when I asked about his herd of goats.

:D:D:D:D

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    all the ploys are a waste of time. just leave down the phone with him on the line and ignore him. that is what the malicious calls people say

But if you have the time to spare winding the guy up you are stopping him from calling someone else, who might fall for it.
    Also it's very good, perhaps childish, fun:D.

That's the hole point as far as I'm concerned.

And to answer the next posting of yours, if having the warning announced on the radio reaches one person who hadn't heard about it don't you think it's worth it? or are you thinking solely of yourself?, if you are, then I must be honest and say that I don't understand why you bother to post on here, other than the fact that you can. Please don't be offended by my remark but I am curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Ars Technica website got a call from them, gives you an example of what they say and ask you to do:
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

BopNiblets wrote: »
    The Ars Technica website got a call from them, gives you an example of what they say and ask you to do:
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for this article, it made very interesting reading and taught me some things about my computer.

I've saved it to desk top so that if/when I get another call I can really raise the callers hopes before bringing him down to earth with an almighty crash:D.
    Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nb12

Anybody recognise this number +353 (01) 706 1200. I'm living in Ireland so iv never seen it before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Today, it was Steve from Global PC Repairs, yesterday it was John Smith from Windows worldwide support. I had some fun with both of them :pac:

Steve's latest tactic is to try to get people to log onto their computers to prove that it isn't a scam :D

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Today, it was Steve from Global PC Repairs, yesterday it was John Smith from Windows worldwide support. I had some fun with both of them :pac:

Steve's latest tactic is to try to get people to log onto their computers to prove that it isn't a scam :D

Now that really is sneaky:(. Some people might actually fall for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I'm feeling neglected. I havent had a call like these in ages since I started asking them to cut the bull and just hold the line till I get my bank account details for them!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm feeling neglected. I havent had a call like these in ages since I started asking them to cut the bull and just hold the line till I get my bank account details for them!:D

I've had 4 this week!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I've had 4 this week!!

I'm kinda jealous :( I love wasting these clowns time

Just had a type I've never had before, 'phone screen showed a U.K. number, 0044. and a recorded voice said " This is a free call, press 1 to accept it or 9 to cancel. You will not be charged for this call."

Anyone else had one of these?.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Nb12 wrote: »
    Anybody recognise this number +353 (01) 706 1200. I'm living in Ireland so iv never seen it before!!

Did you have your car serviced recently ? think thats the crowed who do the servey's for the diffrent garrages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I've learned to hang up on these f**kers. As soon as I hear them saying "You seem to be having problems with your pc", I put the phone down.

It's usually foreigners(Indian/Pakistani) men ringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KoziEnzo

I just got a call from one of these fellas and I responded "I do not have a PC"
    He hastily mumbled "Thank you for picking up, you piece of s**t" and hung up.

First one in a while lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

KoziEnzo wrote: »
    I just got a call from one of these fellas and I responded "I do not have a PC"
    He hastily mumbled "Thank you for picking up, you piece of s**t" and hung up.
    First one in a while lol

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KoziEnzo

I was surprised but all I could do was laugh.
    Can't a man have a cup of tea in peace, for jaysus sake haha

Exactly why these scumbags time needs to be wasted, tell them your going to turn on your pc & ask them to wait. Leave phone on desk & enjoy the watm glow knowing you've won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

just breath heavy and pretend you're fapping.freaks them out no end whether they are male or female

• Advertisement

I think if you have the time to spare, going along with them & giving them false info is the best strategy. Waste as much time as is humanly possible.

Advertisement