Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Just got a call within the last 30mins & heres the number: 00123456789 so random aint it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

They get people to look somewhere like in windows error reporting or the event viewer which will be full of red exclamation marks with error wrote beside it, this'll put the fear in the ones who know know better. Then they'll get them to install a program (like logmein, which is fine) to get remote access to their computer so as to provide the"service" of deleting all the imaginary viruses*/fixing problems.

Thats usually it but you can never know for sure.

You'd have to give it the once over with malware scanners and undo the remote access stuff if you get caught ,personally I'd reinstall windows as their is a world of zero day access stuff out there now that the scanners won't pick up.

meant to get back to this. looked at the laptop and it seemed that they just set up some widgets. did a factory restore just in case though. it was only a couple of months old so it wasn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

meant to get back to this. looked at the laptop and it seemed that they just set up some widgets. did a factory restore just in case though. it was only a couple of months old so it wasn't a big deal.

yeah, few diallers IIRC. you can manually clear them but if youre not sure just restore. I went through it with a vm install I had once, just wiped it after.

I went through to the credit card stage once after a 50 minute call, I kept getting the last number wrong on the card when I was calling it out. he could smell the money but I wouldn't let him taste it. funniest day ever, it was only on the 4th or 5th wrong number call I started laughin uncontrollably that he knew Id been stringing him along and he started calling me names, he sounded like exactly Apu from the simpsons would shouting profanities at you which made me laugh even more.

they still called back the week after, think it was the same guy an all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

did a factory restore just in case though.
    Yup, you did the right thing.

Small bit of hassle but saves alot of potential bother with mystery Bank charges a few months from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

any calls from 017061200 are a scam

I am so glad I googled this number and it brought me here, I had a missed call from this number earlier today!

Thank you for sharing, I'm glad I didn't ring back now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I think I might have said this before but there are a variety of numbers used for this type of call.
    I always believe that the best policy is that if you don't recognise the number don't ring back.

If it's an important call then the caller will always ring back. Depending on your 'phone package any return call that you make is going to cost you money. Always let the caller pay for the call.

If you do accept one of these scam calls there are many ways, as described on this thread, of winding them up which is always fun, and costs them money and time when they could be calling someone else who might be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rachie21

Just got my second call from this crowd 'global support solutions', knew it was a scam so jus't played along and asked loads of questions..she was going on and on about microsoft and then i told her i have a mac and she seemed shocked. she replied 'k bye' but stayed on the line so i asked her where she got my number and she hung up.
    Be weary guys!

gangstas

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

These fellas ring Mobiles now. Is that new?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I got a scam call today from Microsoft...I don't have Caller ID on my phone; guess there's no way of finding the number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Just missed a call from these clowns and googled the number, bringing me to this thread. I'd like to know where they got my mobile number from .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Either your number has been sold on from a 3rd party or else they are using a random number dialler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

so do these guys steal your credit card number or put spyware onto your computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,304 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Bob Z wrote: »
    so do these guys steal your credit card number or put spyware onto your computer?
    They can do either. If you fall for their trick and pay them with a CC, they've now got your number. If you let them remote access and inject your PC, they can install a keylogger which will let them know your online banking details or anything, really.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

A recent experience of mine involving internet hackers trying to infect my PC by phoning up and telling me they were from microsoft and that my PC was compromised.
    i played along up-to a point for research purposes.
    The scam went like this.
    1. You receive a phone call telling you your PC is infected.
    2. The scammer guides you to open the event viewer which very likely has many warnings and errors which have nothing to do with malware infection.
    3. the scammer tries to convince you that you have a massive virus infection.
    4. scammer guides you to download TEAMVIEWER software
    BTW, TEAMVIEWER is legitimate remote control software
    4. Teamviewer generates a session ID and password.
    5. Scammer asks for these details in order to connect remotely with your PC.
    6. Of course you could not allow this as the attacker would simply visit a website and download malware onto your PC and have complete control of your PC.
    Please educate your friends and family and send the message that ireland should not be considered a soft target.:)
    The interesting point here is that this proves that your PC is likely clean and the hacking attempt is just social engineering and not any great genius exploit.
    No need to Wipe your PC clean:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Old news at this stage. There are a few threads here regarding this scam and the fun some people have had with the scammers. Do a search and have a laugh :)

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's not hacking. You let them in rather than them writing code to force their way in. Nobody has been infected with a virus since the 90s. It's called malware.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

GarIT wrote: »
    It's not hacking. You let them in rather than them writing code to force their way in. Nobody has been infected with a virus since the 90s. It's called malware.

Malware is an umbrella term, of which viruses are part of.
    I don't know where you've pulled the idea that nobody's been infected with one since the 90's. The number is easily in the hundreds of millions, if not more. Conficker alone infected over 9 million systems.

maki wrote: »
    Malware is an umbrella term, of which viruses are part of.
    I don't know where you've pulled the idea that nobody's been infected with one since the 90's. The number is easily in the hundreds of millions, if not more. Conficker alone infected over 9 million systems.

Its not a virus though. Its probably wrong to say nobody has been infected by a virus but the numbers are extremely small. Conficker was a worm. A virus depends on a host program its attached to much like a human virus, conficker was not dependant on attatching itself to other software.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Its not a virus though. Its probably wrong to say nobody has been infected by a virus but the numbers are extremely small. Conficker was a worm. A virus depends on a host program its attached to much like a human virus, conficker was not dependant on attatching itself to other software.

It's technically a worm, but a worm is just a subclass of a virus. The distinction is only there to define it's slightly different propagation method. If it self-replicates and spreads, it's a virus.

But there's no point hiding behind semantics. Viruses do exist, and they infect systems on a daily basis. The chances of you coming across a 0-day virus are unlikely, and if you've got a decent heuristics engine in your AV then the chances of infection are decreased further. That doesn't mean they're not out there though.

The name virus comes from a need to attach itself to another program. If it doesn't attach itself to another program its not a virus. Malware isn't that simple anymore and the majority of it can run independently without needing to be activated by another program. Therefore its pointless creating a virus so nobody does.

• Advertisement

What I said was hyperbole, exaggerating to get a point across. Computers do get infected with viruses but it is rare, you'd have to be fairly thick to spend time writing a virus when there are plenty of other kinds of more effective malware. However the point I was trying to make was the OP is spreading false information as the people that call you won't hack anything or install any virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

True it's not a virus it's social engineering, Team Viewer is a legitimate remote access software. Once connected to your computer the scammers can setup unattended access so they don't need your approval to take control of your computer, leaving it open to be infected by keyloggers and other nasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

Soundman wrote: »
    Either your number has been sold on from a 3rd party or else they are using a random number dialler.

Every time they call they know my name before I have a chance to say anything. might be using the phone directory....

just got called from 002011772013 and they are equally as bad as they were a few years ago. What has changed is the accent. Don't think they're from India as the clowns who tried their luck on me some 2 years ago. I have quite a bunch of Indian colleagues and I usually can tell if they are from that part of the world. Sounded a bit more like middle east (not sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

What I said was hyperbole, exaggerating to get a point across.

what point ?
    However the point I was trying to make was the OP is spreading false information as the people that call you won't hack anything or install any virus.

what false information ?

I did not say that the hackers would install a virus, I said malware...see point 6

and what definition of hacker are you using
    maybe I meant cracker
    but to say social engineering is not hacking (or cracking) is just nit-picking to appear intelligent.
    was kevin mitnick a hacker (or cracker even)
    did he employ social engineering.....YES he did
    does that disqualify him as a hacker...no
    is a script kiddie a hacker ?
    maybe
    there are so many definitions and numerous more arguments by pedants
    about which is most accurately described.
    anyway my post was meant to inform ordinary people
    not geniuses like garIT :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tarp

If you are thick like me and you let the scammers control your pc ( thinking they are microsoft) but realise when they are looking for money that it is a scam. How can I make sure my laptop is secure??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tarp wrote: »
    If you are thick like me and you let the scammers control your pc ( thinking they are microsoft) but realise when they are looking for money that it is a scam. How can I make sure my laptop is secure??

It seems from past tests people did with these scammers they were only interested in your credit card details and not infecting the computer with malware. Of course this is not a guarantee and it would be a good idea to run virus/malware scans just to verify. I would recommend running a malwarebytes and super anti spyware scan and then use your anti virus scanner for a second opinion. On tablet now so can't link but you'll find these programs on Google :-) . They are free

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

You can get the free Malware/spyware removal & Anti Virus mentioned earlier software from Softpedia (Malwarebytes free) Avast Anti virus free will give you plenty of cover.
    If they got you to install any "Remote viewer/ controller" software delete it & change any passwords used. If you're using chrome add "WOT" (web of trust) to your browser in google extensions to help locate potential dodgy sites and avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

any calls from 017061200 are a scam

Got a missed call from this number yesterday evening....scam l take it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yep... Always...;)

Advertisement