Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Got a missed call from this number yesterday evening....scam l take it!

I got a missed call today from that number. Is it their intention to get you to call
    Back? It looks like an Irish landline with a Dublin Area code (01) prefix. Is this true ? if so why is this number still operational after all this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

MRBI still calling. This is going on several months now. 01-7061200

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

furmi wrote: »
    MRBI still calling. This is going on several months now. 01-7061200

Missed a call from that number too.....MRBI........nothing to do with the pc doctor scam....just market research afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

just had a call with this crowd, played along for a bit but then got bored and hung up, they rang back and started screaming at me, "why did you hang up". kinda funny. the part i find disturbing is how they got my number but they also had my address

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

2 calls for me this week ..my pc doctor was back for microsoft but when i told him he had the wrong number & my address was incorrect he hung up & 001212258795 rang this morning i said nothing, they said nothing, then they hung up.Sad to say i'm getting used to these now and no-one has stopped them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

I got a frantic phone call from my mother today (she lives an hour away) saying that "Microsoft" called, my sister answered, they told her that her computer was about to crash. Although she was wise enough not to give them out credit card details, she wasn't wise enough to hang up. She turned on my mother's laptop upon their instruction and followed all the steps they told her to.

Now none of my family is particularly technologically minded, nor am I, but Mam says her laptop IS working, but all of the icons are gone from the screen. Should she be contacting Visa/Paypal, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

fartyarse wrote: »
    I got a frantic phone call from my mother today (she lives an hour away) saying that "Microsoft" called, my sister answered, they told her that her computer was about to crash. Although she was wise enough not to give them out credit card details, she wasn't wise enough to hang up. She turned on my mother's laptop upon their instruction and followed all the steps they told her to.

Now none of my family is particularly technologically minded, nor am I, but Mam says her laptop IS working, but all of the icons are gone from the screen. Should she be contacting Visa/Paypal, etc?

Well did she hand over her Visa or pay the scammers any money via PayPal?

Since when did Microsoft become fortune tellers, "your computer is about to crash" - use some common sense people!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

justryan wrote: »
    Well did she hand over her Visa or pay the scammers any money via PayPal?

Since when did Microsoft become fortune tellers, "your computer is about to crash" - use some common sense people!

No she didn't hand over any details however, she has her card details saved on her PC (from past transactions).

In her defense, my sister is 12, she didn't know any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I stumbled on this thread when i google 7061200.. I have got 4 of these calls in as many days, banking survey, mobile phone survey. each time has been met with extremely foul language on my end but they keep calling..they are irish too..fookers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Just had an Indian fella on the phone from the above number telling me I had a virus on my computer, funny enough he wasn't able to identify which one :cool:

So I did my duty and led him on for 15 minutes, asking him stupid questions about the layout of my keyboard; the straw that broke the camels back was when he asked me to read out the layout of my keyboard, to which I replied "S-C-A-M-A-R-T-I-S-T"; to which the lovely gent replied

"Listen to me you motherfúcking cúnt, don't get cocky with me!" and hung up!

Oh well, guess Il have to make do with a virus ridden computer :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Two calls from some dude in India in two days after months of not hearing from them. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So I did my duty and led him on for 15 minutes, asking him stupid questions about the layout of my keyboard; the straw that broke the camels back was when he asked me to read out the layout of my keyboard, to which I replied "S-C-A-M-A-R-T-I-S-T";
    Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've not had the pleasure of any calls for quite a while now, which is a bit of a bore, but I did have a missed call show up on my 'phone a week or so ago, (kept meaning to send this post), a very strange number : 009999111238 .

Needless to say, I didn't ring it back. As I was out all that day I've no idea whether it was a computer test dialling my number, just one or two rings, or a scammer.

Keep winding these people up folks, taking up their time just might save someone from falling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭alabandical

Scammers tried it today from 0015852269880. Led them on for a bit, said they were "Windows" and my computer was in serious trouble. Spoke to 4 "technicians" who tried to get me to log into teamviewer.com and ammyy.com, but I was having difficulty because I was no good at "doing words". Last lad said he was calling from Microsoft in Dublin 18 but couldn't tell me the building next door. Wasted half an hour of their time anyway!

Further to me píssing them off the last day, they have rang every day since but my dad answered and hung up on them as I wasnt in, keep ringing from the same number, anyway to ring up eircom and block a particular number from calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Further to me píssing them off the last day, they have rang every day since but my dad answered and hung up on them as I wasnt in, keep ringing from the same number, anyway to ring up eircom and block a particular number from calling?

Here is their email address mrbi@ipsos.com they dont call me anymore after i sent them a mail..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Tell them you have an I mac... Sorted! :)

Here is their email address mrbi@ipsos.com they dont call me anymore after i sent them a mail..

Not MRBI. The Indian scammers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

They called me from India last week and told me my Windows computer needed fixing. I told them the truth, I don't have a Windows computer, I only use Linux....they went very quiet, (seems they haven't heard of Linux), and hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Netmark2000

To my surprise, I received a call from the same number a few moments ago, I asked the Indian chap if he needed paper, a seat and a bull? He was confused and asked for what? I commented "Well you don't use toilet paper, and you stand on the toilets without a seat" ,,, he got irate with some interesting comments, I asked if he wanted to know what the Bull was for...silence...."now you can pull the udder..."

he hung up :)

Wow another 001253820308. My neighbor after been repeatably told about online scams, and specifically about people ringing him from Microsoft or ano about virus's, updates, renewals or anything else should ask them to ring him back in 20 minutes and ask me first....

Ah well, he received a call from 001253820308, gave them access into his computer, saw what they were pointing out, confirmed his address, dob and email address. Yes he does use paypal, online banking and credit card transactions, now under simple instructions, he has cancelled his credit cards, changed his online banking and paypal details (from ano computer). His computer had within 24 hours 16 versions of spyware and back door Trojans connected in hidden files. Computer now totally clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Netmark2000

Received another call. Asked the chap to hang on as I was on a conference call. I pressed 'play' on a DVD for a conference on 'IT Compliance and Governance', he was still on the call 78 minutes later....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Had two calls I answered this week from 001253820308 first one after her intro lies about microsoft I asked how long this scam call would last and she hung up. Second call was a different girl and I said I had no computer as . I was busy painting at the time. I still wonder why I get so many of these calls I am out for most of them but I see them on my caller display every month

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

More scam fake calls from Microsoft ?

I had another 2 calls from Indian guys the last one today and he was impossible to get rid of I told him I was aware of his scam he said it wasn't he was calling from Microsoft Glasgow went on and on then I said my computer was in the IT department for its monthly review/check. I then said it was a Mac, he said it was not and did I change computers, I said yes . He then asked who had my old computer and would I give him the name of the person who had it, I said family and that was private info. He finally said I wasn't telling him the truth and I said that makes two of us. He then said he was going to hang up and I said thank God for that and good bye . So that's how I spent 10 mins of my morning.
    Anyone know where they get my name and number from, 4 calls in a month seems more than random number dialling .The last call was from 0016077954641 over VOIP I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Anyone have them call you on your mobile ? I don't have a land-line and I'm feeling quite left out of all the fun :(

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

ZENER wrote: »
    Any have them call you on your mobile ? I don't have a land-line and I'm feeling quite left out of all the fun :(

Ken

no, I wish they did though. if youre tech savvy and have a mischieviousness nature it is a LOT of fun when they do call.

1 guy talked me through clicking on alert in the event viewer and I genuinely burst out laughing at the fake nearly gay voice that said "oh my god, this is really serious, its the worst case of a virus Ive ever seen" when I started calling out some of the alerts in there (which were jsut some normal usual warnings) I apologised for laughing and said I cant continue with this, I work in IT and I know youre a spoofer. and he STILL tried to convince me he was genuine. thank you. call again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭leewarden

Got one of these but hung up quickly, was worried they were getting money from keeping me on the phone or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

no, I wish they did though. if youre tech savvy and have a mischieviousness nature it is a LOT of fun when they do call.

1 guy talked me through clicking on alert in the event viewer and I genuinely burst out laughing at the fake nearly gay voice that said "oh my god, this is really serious, its the worst case of a virus Ive ever seen" when I started calling out some of the alerts in there (which were jsut some normal usual warnings) I apologised for laughing and said I cant continue with this, I work in IT and I know youre a spoofer. and he STILL tried to convince me he was genuine. thank you. call again,

I have a virtual machine all set up with a few choice infections just for them :)

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Hi all,

I'm really at the end of my rope with this, they're driving me insane. We get at least 1-3 calls a day! Normally answer and hang up, don't wait for it to go to a voice. Answered guy last night and just laughed at him and hung up. Have strung them along a few times but they just play dumb. Been through the 'no i can't see that.....' stupidity and finally said 'but this is linux' so they keep contradicting me and saying no no its microsoft, kept it up and they hung up. Its become boring now though!

Think on the next one I'll string along and then use the fbi line!! Then move to the air horn (when I find one!!) Or maybe tutor my 6 and 2 year olds to scream as loud as they can down the phone in unison!!

Why can't anything be done on this, and the sad thing is people are still being caught by it! I'm nearing the point of getting shot of the landline altogether!

Advertisement