Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I've just recieved my 7th phone call from 0061111111112!!!:mad:
    No-one on the other end!
    Ive had this before last year! Trying to gain remote access to my Laptop! Pffh How Pathetic..How stupid has someone Got to be to Download/Follow instructions from a complete Stranger on the phone!
    Like Come on:D
    Must Ring Phone Provider Tomorrow And Block all Calls From that number!
    BTW Good luck to All Sitting Leaving and Junior Cert Exams ;):D

Lol, they should be studying and not on this :P

Yeah 0061111111112 was calling me between 5 and 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Obediahthebold

Thanks, my heart was racing there :P

Just out of curiosity, why, went they ring you, do they remain silent for 10 seconds and then hang up?

The reason for the delay is auto dialing. They have a computer program dialing phones and listening for an answer. From the time you answer to the time the computer says "Hey I got one!" To the time someone picks up the line to answer you...that's the wait. Sometimes they are so busy they can't even answer the phoen the computer just dialed and you could sit there until it clicks off.

Ask yourself, have you ever got a call when there was no one on the other line for two seconds that you wanted? Always hang up. If it is a friend they will call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We got our 3rd phone call. Getting cranky now. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Ask yourself, have you ever got a call when there was no one on the other line for two seconds that you wanted? Always hang up. If it is a friend they will call back.

Apart from broke friends who ring from payphones!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The Mother got a call from these today, she handed it to me (handnt a clue what it was about) He told me he was the online doctor,

I promptly told him i was going to Rip his head off and shit down his neck.

His Reply

"Ok... "

10 second pause

Hangs up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I promptly told him i was going to Rip his head off and shit down his neck.
    rip01.wav from http://www.duke-n-doom.com/duke_sounds/index.html is what you're looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...How stupid has someone Got to be to Download/Follow instructions from a complete Stranger on the phone!
    Like Come on:D

Seriously? Older people who are only barely computer-literate are the main group who might fall for this. PC World/Currys etc sell these people expensive PC phone support. If they get a call from these scammers they could well assume its from their legit support company.

Good luck with the exams yourself and watch out for the Capital Letters ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

How come I never get calls from these ***** . I'd have great fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

So how do they get people's names and phone numbers. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

loldog wrote: »
    So how do they get people's names and phone numbers. Anyone know?

The phonebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

The phonebook.
    Not mine, I'm ex-directory, only got this number from upc recently. Upc must have passed on the my name and number to some 3rd party. :mad::mad:

squared wrote: »
    Not mine, I'm ex-directory

Also ex-directory. They had our names too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

is everyone a UPC customer or are eircom lines having the same fun?
    9th call so far to me...though I let the voice mail pick it up so they are (hopefully) paying for the call each time

GreeBo wrote: »
    is everyone a UPC customer or are eircom lines having the same fun?
    9th call so far to me...though I let the voice mail pick it up so they are (hopefully) paying for the call each time

I'm eircom. 0061111111112 rang me twice in the last 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Has anyone been onto eircom or upc about getting these numbers blocked?

squared wrote: »
    Has anyone been onto eircom or upc about getting these numbers blocked?

I rang up eircom on 1901 but they said that they something about them not being able to block specific numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

My buddy got a call a few minutes ago and he gave them access to his pc the fool, they told him he needed new antivirus and wanted €120 for the year but he s broke and told him he d ring them back.Just told him to cop himself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Finally, a few weeks ago they rang my father in law as I'm IT for their household he know nothing was wrong and tried to send them on their way, they were persistant but he just hung up.

Then this morning I got a call from Jessica who was from microsoft & that I was having problems with my computer what OS was i using, I told her if she knew i was having problems she should know what OS I was using, she just repeated her question so I asked her what company she was calling from, after a bit of back and forth she said onlinepccare (the phone number was 0019476632176) and she wanted to fix my pc problems, I said my pc has no problems, I thought you said you were from microsoft & can I speak to your manager, also where did you get my name & number from, a bit more back and forth (we are the best and we are trying to help) so I asked for a contact number or email of her supervisor and told her I work for microsoft and would like to talk to someone in charge! BING the phone went dead!

So I went to their website and decided to have a chat with one of their tec people, and tell them I got cut off from Jessica:

Registered Customer? (Yes/No) No
    Question: your sales person (jessica) just got cut off while talking to me, what is the name and email of your manager please

jeson: Thank you for Choosing Supportonclick.com. My name is Jeson. How May I assist You?

jeson: Please give me a moment.

DaCoGaWa: I was looking for a contact email address for a manager of one of your staff, her name was jessica and she called me in Ireland

jeson: Its enquiry@onlinepccare.com

DaCoGaWa: Jeson, she gave me that but I am looking to talk to a manager please

DaCoGaWa: when i asked her for a contact email for her manager she hung up on me

jeson: I have already informed jessica,she is going to call you now and she is going to provide you all the information.

DaCoGaWa: Thanks Jeson, I'll keep this window open till I hear from her

jeson: Sure... and let me know if she calls you.

DaCoGaWa: Still no call Jeson ? could you please give me the contact details of her manager & an address of your company. is your address 835,Pblock new alipore Kolkata West bengal,700053 INDIA

DaCoGaWa: Hello Jeson, are you still there ?

Gone!

jeson: Thank you for Choosing Supportonclick.com. My name is Jeson. How May I assist You?

DaCoGaWa: Hello Jeson, I seem to have been cut off again, could you please give me the contact details of her manager & an address of your company. is your address 835,Pblock new alipore Kolkata West bengal,700053 INDIA

jeson: I apologize for inconvenience caused ,i will call back right now is it ok.

DaCoGaWa: I would just like your managers name, contact number and email address please

DaCoGaWa: Hello ?

cut off again, then I decided to go back as 'Jane Golding' just to see if they were anymore help, to cut it short after annoying them a bit:

Jane Golding: are you officially registered with microsoft to do so ?

jeson: We are microsoft certified technician .

Jane Golding: your person on the phone said you work with microsoft, so you dont ? are you officially registered with microsoft to do repairs ?

Jane Golding: Hello ?

jeson: Weare going to clear your doubts .our registration officer is going to call you back shortly.

Funny enough, the phone rang, 0019476632176 number again so I grabbed my mobile to record the conversation (quite a good recording) it was their supervisor (I'll have to boost the recording to make out his name, I'll put it in later) asking was I having problems with their online help ? I said no, I wanted to know why they said they were working for microsoft ?, he said that the were microsoft certified technicians and it must be a mistake & he is very sorry for that, so I asked him where he got my name & number, he said they got it from their "research and development" department, I said that was not a very good answer, where did they get it ? he then said they got it from where I had bought my computer, once I told him I got my OS from microsoft & there is no way he got my details from any shop, it went quite for a few moments.... then I told him this was just a cold call wasn't it ? HE SAID YES, this was a cold call & he is very sorry, then I told him that cold calling was illegal in this country & I would be reporting him, again he said he was very, very sorry & they will never call me again & hung up.

God I really hope I made the hairs on his neck stand up, it sounded like it.

So, where do I go from here ? who should i send the recording of him admitting his company are cold calling to ? anyone got any suggestions
    ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fair play to you Dacogawa! The Gardai would probably have an idea of where to send it.

dacogawa wrote: »
    Finally, a few weeks ago they rang my father in law as I'm IT for their household he know nothing was wrong and tried to send them on their way, they were persistant but he just hung up.

Then this morning I got a call from Jessica who was from microsoft & that I was having problems with my computer what OS was i using, I told her if she knew i was having problems she should know what OS I was using, she just repeated her question so I asked her what company she was calling from, after a bit of back and forth she said onlinepccare (the phone number was 0019476632176) and she wanted to fix my pc problems, I said my pc has no problems, I thought you said you were from microsoft & can I speak to your manager, also where did you get my name & number from, a bit more back and forth (we are the best and we are trying to help) so I asked for a contact number or email of her supervisor and told her I work for microsoft and would like to talk to someone in charge! BING the phone went dead!

So I went to their website and decided to have a chat with one of their tec people, and tell them I got cut off from Jessica:

Registered Customer? (Yes/No) No
    Question: your sales person (jessica) just got cut off while talking to me, what is the name and email of your manager please

jeson: Please give me a moment.

DaCoGaWa: I was looking for a contact email address for a manager of one of your staff, her name was jessica and she called me in Ireland

jeson: Its enquiry@onlinepccare.com

DaCoGaWa: Jeson, she gave me that but I am looking to talk to a manager please

DaCoGaWa: when i asked her for a contact email for her manager she hung up on me

jeson: I have already informed jessica,she is going to call you now and she is going to provide you all the information.

DaCoGaWa: Thanks Jeson, I'll keep this window open till I hear from her

jeson: Sure... and let me know if she calls you.

DaCoGaWa: Still no call Jeson ? could you please give me the contact details of her manager & an address of your company. is your address 835,Pblock new alipore Kolkata West bengal,700053 INDIA

DaCoGaWa: Hello Jeson, are you still there ?

Gone!

DaCoGaWa: Hello Jeson, I seem to have been cut off again, could you please give me the contact details of her manager & an address of your company. is your address 835,Pblock new alipore Kolkata West bengal,700053 INDIA

jeson: I apologize for inconvenience caused ,i will call back right now is it ok.

DaCoGaWa: I would just like your managers name, contact number and email address please

DaCoGaWa: Hello ?

cut off again, then I decided to go back as 'Jane Golding' just to see if they were anymore help, to cut it short after annoying them a bit:

Jane Golding: are you officially registered with microsoft to do so ?

jeson: We are microsoft certified technician .

Jane Golding: your person on the phone said you work with microsoft, so you dont ? are you officially registered with microsoft to do repairs ?

Jane Golding: Hello ?

jeson: Weare going to clear your doubts .our registration officer is going to call you back shortly.

Funny enough, the phone rang, 0019476632176 number again so I grabbed my mobile to record the conversation (quite a good recording) it was their supervisor (I'll have to boost the recording to make out his name, I'll put it in later) asking was I having problems with their online help ? I said no, I wanted to know why they said they were working for microsoft ?, he said that the were microsoft certified technicians and it must be a mistake & he is very sorry for that, so I asked him where he got my name & number, he said they got it from their "research and development" department, I said that was not a very good answer, where did they get it ? he then said they got it from where I had bought my computer, once I told him I got my OS from microsoft & there is no way he got my details from any shop, it went quite for a few moments.... then I told him this was just a cold call wasn't it ? HE SAID YES, this was a cold call & he is very sorry, then I told him that cold calling was illegal in this country & I would be reporting him, again he said he was very, very sorry & they will never call me again & hung up.

God I really hope I made the hairs on his neck stand up, it sounded like it.

So, where do I go from here ? who should i send the recording of him admitting his company are cold calling to ? anyone got any suggestions
    ?

What's there web address, I want to have a bit of fun with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

http://onlinepccare.com/ it looks like

Yeah Killer Pigeon, its http://onlinepccare.com/ click on the live chat on the top right (ish) of the screen, tell jeson I was asking for him :) let us know how you get on please

Thanks Darkglasses I'm going to have a chat with a Garda I know over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Hi I had 3 of these calls yesterday
    First was a woman, telling me I had problems with my computer and the reason it was running slow was beacuse there was mailware on it.

She then asked me which Microsoft OS I was using, XP, Vista or Win 7
    I said I was using Linux, then she just hung up.

I'm with Eircon so I guess thats where they got my name and number.

Next call was a chap, telling me I had a computer that needed virus protection. What Win OS was I running, I said Linux, to which he replied Linux was not a Windows OS and hung up.

3 call I told them before the sales spiel, I use Linux and not to call again.

The number was 0019476632176

As for cold calls I thought you may like this, its an old but good

one

Dave: I've heard that a lot of people think that this website is a scam, is it true? Can I trust you?
    jeson: Thank you for Choosing Supportonclick.com.
    My name is Jeson.
    How May I assist You?
    Dave: Hey I've heard that this website is a scam from people online. Is this true? Can I still trust you?
    jeson: Sure we are not scam.
    Dave: Is it safe to give remote access to someone I don't know?
    Dave: Are you in New Delhi right now or Calcutta, your IP address keeps changing every few minutes.
    Dave: ???
    Dave: 61.8.157.102?
    Dave: can you answer me please?
    jeson: yes
    Dave: why does your IP address keep changing every few minutes?
    Dave: can you answer this question please?

this is the conversation I had a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Hi
    Based in offaly and had some calls today from 0061111111112 , 3 were silent when I picked up but the 4th one which my wife picked up was answered by an Indian guy who asked for me by name....He then went into his spiel and asked me was the computer a laptop or desktop..? to which i replied that there wasn't a computer in the house ( a little white lie ...:D ) he then got a bit annoyed and insisted that I had a broadband connection so i must have a computer...this went on for a while until I finally told him he was running a scam and not to bother me again....I wonder if he will ring back for a bit more fun.? Just wondering how he knew i had a BB connection I'm a vodafone at home customer and I'm wondering if the info came from there..?

Laros

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm just thinking now would it be wise to stay away from the live chat, presumably they can get your IP address and maybe launch some kind of attack? Most broadband providers don't use static IP addresses these days but you could still have the same one for up to a week?
    I'm probably giving them far too much credit though

Nice one Killer Pigeon, I miss the banter with Jeson. I think I'll go back and pretend I think its an private adult chatroom :) get him to 'fix me'

laros, I doubt he'll ring back once you said the 'scam' word but we live in hope, the more time this lot spend on the phone to us, the less time they spend ripping off some person who doesn't know as much, also I thought this was starting to point to eircom but if you're vodafone thats that one out the window, I really want to know where they got the numbers ?

I do think you're giving them to much credit youcancallme>al but better off safe than sorry, I know my IP has changed since I was on to them and if i go back I'm going through a proxy but I just think these lot have a basic windows knowledge, there might be a few in there that are a bit advanced but I dont think there is any black hats. i think they are just Arthur Daley with a mouse.

I'm just thinking now would it be wise to stay away from the live chat, presumably they can get your IP address and maybe launch some kind of attack? Most broadband providers don't use static IP addresses these days but you could still have the same one for up to a week?
    I'm probably giving them far too much credit though

You can access anyone's IP address nowadays when you're in chat, even in your basic instant messenger or msn.

Just start chatting with someone, let's say on msn, and then close every other window except the IM window. Then go to the 'command prompt' program and enter 'netstat'

It gives you the IP of the person you're talking to. The thing is, there isn't a whole lot you can do will it except figure own the general location for other person not the exact address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

laros wrote: »
    Hi
    Based in offaly and had some calls today from 0061111111112 , 3 were silent when I picked up but the 4th one which my wife picked up was answered by an Indian guy who asked for me by name....He then went into his spiel and asked me was the computer a laptop or desktop..? to which i replied that there wasn't a computer in the house ( a little white lie ...:D ) he then got a bit annoyed and insisted that I had a broadband connection so i must have a computer...this went on for a while until I finally told him he was running a scam and not to bother me again....I wonder if he will ring back for a bit more fun.? Just wondering how he knew i had a BB connection I'm a vodafone at home customer and I'm wondering if the info came from there..?

Laros

Laros I was getting that too, that number- 0061111111112, but i thought it was a prank call because every time i answered the phone it went silent, i googled the number with no results, so i called Smart Telecom who are my provider, and gave them the number, but they told me they could not bar individual incoming numbers.

i later found out in my phone manual (its a DECT phone) that i could block the number- happy days, no random calls at any time during the day any more. they were calling on a daily basis so it was rather annoying!

as for the online pc chat thing, that sounds like an automated response thing to me, the way it analyses your question for specific words and then throws back a pre-programmed answer at you! if it cannot recognise any keywords in the question it goes silent.

• Advertisement

laros wrote: »
    he then got a bit annoyed and insisted that I had a broadband connection so i must have a computer...

That is very seriously interesting. Very seriously. How the feck would he know that you had a broadband connection?

Is there anyone here who received the phonecall at home who doesn't have broadband? If you have broadband and got one of these calls, who is your ISP?

Mine is vodafone too. Previously BT.

Advertisement