Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

I printed that and framed it...... Ha Ha Ha!

I bet everyone else can see right through our joking... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I bet everyone else can see right through our joking... :-D

Yep, It's getting a bit cilly now alright.......

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

Yes, it's chilly from the broken window :-) I'm telling you, we need these guys to call and fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

just had one there, managed to keep him on the go for 10 minutes until he asked 'are you fooling with me'
    i asked 'am i fooling with you, thats strange cos youre trying to get me to download some **** on my pc'

asked him where he was and he read out the microsoft address in D18...muppet

chka wrote: »
    Yes, it's chilly from the broken window :-) I'm telling you, we need these guys to call and fix it

Glad to see other forum members are getting into the frame of things! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

degsie wrote: »

Very interesting link.

I'm sure that if I understood it, it would make complete sense:D:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Sounds as if it's a case of "come into my parlour said the fly to the spider".

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Just had a call from one of these Indian scammers. I've been receiving them for years now. Sometimes I engage with them instead of hanging up, but they still keep ringing.

Today I asked him to confirm that he was working for Microsoft. Rather aggressively, he denied this and claimed his company was called Intant. (I asked him to spell the name.) Eventually I got fed up and hung up.

Has anyone figured out a way to deter these pests permanently? Short of getting a new phone number that is. :confused:

Has anyone figured out a way to deter these pests permanently? Short of getting a new phone number that is. :confused:

Call Jack Reacher.

• Advertisement

Very interesting link.

I'm sure that if I understood it, it would make complete sense:D:confused:

I look at this lad and think, "Hm, the virginity is strong with this one..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

These calls see to be on the increase again. I've had a couple and have taken to keeping a whistle by the phone to blow out the caller's eardrums. But a friend of mine, who is not knowledgeable, got a call in her holiday home in France yesterday and fell for it as her laptop has been running slow. She only has dial up internet (yes, it still exists!). Basically, she was told, when she went online, to click on the Windows icon (I think she has Windows 7) and type in a code. She did this and now wonders what will happen if she goes on line again - is her security compromised?

She didn't give bank details, so I suspect she just needs to clear the cache to make sure none of her bank details are hanging aound.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

vienne86 wrote: »
    These calls see to be on the increase again. I've had a couple and have taken to keeping a whistle by the phone to blow out the caller's eardrums. But a friend of mine, who is not knowledgeable, got a call in her holiday home in France yesterday and fell for it as her laptop has been running slow. She only has dial up internet (yes, it still exists!). Basically, she was told, when she went online, to click on the Windows icon (I think she has Windows 7) and type in a code. She did this and now wonders what will happen if she goes on line again - is her security compromised?

She didn't give bank details, so I suspect she just needs to clear the cache to make sure none of her bank details are hanging aound.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Did she download a remote assistance piece of software does she remember? Logmein, Team Viewer, Ammy have all be used by these people in the past

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Did she download a remote assistance piece of software does she remember? Logmein, Team Viewer, Ammy have all be used by these people in the past

Nick

I doubt it, on a dial up. But I'll find up. Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I doubt it, on a dial up. But I'll find up. Thanks very much for getting back to me.

Yeah the fact she is on dial up I doubt very much they could even work remotely on a system even after the remote access software is run. In saying that these services do scale quite well based on connection performance so it is possible they could have had control of the computer.
    I would say she only opened the Event Viewer window when instructed and didn't get as far as remote access but just in case it is worth checking

Nick

Yeah the fact she is on dial up I doubt very much they could even work remotely on a system even after the remote access software is run. In saying that these services do scale quite well based on connection performance so it is possible they could have had control of the computer.
    I would say she only opened the Event Viewer window when instructed and didn't get as far as remote access but just in case it is worth checking

Nick

Well apparently she was sent to the search button, and told to type in REVETVRW......I'm not 100% sure this is right, but it sounds like a search for the event viewer - she is on Windows 7, AFAIK. She has not gone on line at all either during or after this phone call. I have gone through the deleting of her browser history, temporary files etc with her in Explorer. I think the fact that she is on dial up has been her salvation......but I never thought I would see myself writing that about dial up!!!!!

Well apparently she was sent to the search button, and told to type in REVETVRW......I'm not 100% sure this is right, but it sounds like a search for the event viewer - she is on Windows 7, AFAIK. She has not gone on line at all either during or after this phone call. I have gone through the deleting of her browser history, temporary files etc with her in Explorer. I think the fact that she is on dial up has been her salvation......but I never thought I would see myself writing that about dial up!!!!!

Yep stage one of these scams seems to be they ask you to open eventvwr and trick you into believing system event errors are dangerous.
    If she was not online during the call then she is 100% safe. Worth keeping her anti virus up to date and running a scan, but this is good practice regardless :) . I know doing this is more inconvenient on dial up

Nick

Yep stage one of these scams seems to be they ask you to open eventvwr and trick you into believing system event errors are dangerous.
    If she was not online during the call then she is 100% safe. Worth keeping her anti virus up to date and running a scan, but this is good practice regardless :) . I know doing this is more inconvenient on dial up

Nick

Thank you very much for your help. I was 99% sure that this was the case and if it were myself, I would just fire ahead adn go back on line now, but when it is someone else, and you can't see the machine.....I just needed a second opinion. Thank you so much for your time!

As regards using dial up, she is in a holiday home in France, so is unlikely to take out a broadband subscription. Interesting that these English speakers are now targeting ex-pats in France.

Cheers.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

I got one of these calls today, I had never heard of this scam...but was pretty certain it wasn't legit. asked the girl for a confirmation email she worked for microsoft, she gave me a Dublin number and her "work ID number" asked me to ring up and they would confirm she was from microsoft... the number was 01 2549330, I tried to ring it for the craic but it rang out so not sure what number it is

I look at this lad and think, "Hm, the virginity is strong with this one..."

I'd rather be a virgin than a geek, but at the age of 69 there's little chance of that:p.

• Advertisement

I'd rather be a virgin than a geek, but at the age of 69 there's little chance of that:p.

Geeks are as Geeks do, stop me if I'm getting too technical. :)

Geeks are as Geeks do, stop me if I'm getting too technical. :)

I would hope that you are old enough to know when to stop.
    Usually it's when people have lost interest in whatever it is you are trying to say. And that point is way past.

I would hope that you are old enough to know when to stop.
    Usually it's when people have lost interest in whatever it is you are trying to say. And that point is way past.

I think you'd do well to follow your own advice mate. I was yawning after the first sentence you wrote. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Unitedfandoc

Was in my aunt's house today and she got a call from these guys so I asked her to hand me the phone. Led the guy down the garden path by playing dumb until he told me to press the windows key and 'r' and the same time. After pretending to do that he asks what I see, to which I reply "a packet of soup". He then said "**** you and your packet of soup sir" and he hung up.

I was gutted as I didn't get to add my punchline of "ah sorry I've been pressing buttons on my microwave the whole time".

Was in my aunt's house today and she got a call from these guys so I asked her to hand me the phone. Led the guy down the garden path by playing dumb until he told me to press the windows key and 'r' and the same time. After pretending to do that he asks what I see, to which I reply "a packet of soup". He then said "**** you and your packet of soup sir" and he hung up.

I was gutted as I didn't get to add my punchline of "ah sorry I've been pressing buttons on my microwave the whole time".

Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Getting lots of these in a the last few weeks! I just hang up once I hear this 'Windows Tech Support'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just got one of these this morning
    from an 00 161 ...... number
    Indian sounding guy on phone
    hung up but just spread the word they are on the prowl..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They have been "on the prowl" for years, and they can call from loads of different numbers in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Long time running scam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

srsly78 wrote:
    They have been "on the prowl" for years, and they can call from loads of different numbers in different countries.

oh ok maybe this thread shouldnt have been started cause you seem to think everyboby knows about it already?

Advertisement