Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options
1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

ART6 wrote: »
    How did he get your number? Well, there are shady operators out there who sell bulk email addresses to scammers, and who also (I bet) sell bulk telephone numbers with the names of their registered users.

That would be Vodafone!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

srsly78 wrote: »
    That would be Vodafone!

lol well we used to be with vodafone for their broadband and land line service but switched to sky like 6 months ago as it was much better value with the bundle as we already had sky tv.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Just had an interesting call from a guy claiming to be from "Talk Talk" (I am with Wicklow BB, Talk Talk aren't even in Ireland) said they were cutting my internet tomorrow because my a hacker got on my computer and it was causing problems for the network. Said we had to "act fast" etc.

I listened to his spiel for a couple mins and then asked him if this scam works often and he was quite adamant that this was very real even though I told him I was a computer technician, had a degree in computer science & was a general computer nerd :P . I said fine, I will believe him if he can give me my IP Address right now. Nope.

Anyway went on for a few mins more following his instructions to go to "run". Which took fecking ages instead of just asking me to click run(I suppose they prey on the people that are not tech savvy) He then transferred me to his "technical advisor" to which I asked the same question if the scam works. I think he put me straight back onto the original guy who then asked me "What are you doing?" and called me a "Motherf**ker" and hung up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I got a call yesterday, I get these all the time, getting sick of them at this stage. Simply told her to F**k Off.
    I used to hand the phone to my son when he was younger and he would babble away into the phone.
    One guy told me "You have virus on your internets" I kept him on for a while trying to get him to explain how such a thing could happen. He got sick of it and told me to "fug off".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Someone should write a book on this stuff. Fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Thrilled to get my first one of these today. Only got to hold them for about 45 minutes though :(

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Thrilled to get my first one of these today. Only got to hold them for about 45 minutes though :(

Hahahahahah...:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got a call half an hour ago on my mobile from 01 706 1200

Answered it... 2 seconds of what sounded like party noises
    A drunk sounding Irish woman saying "I FORGOT, AGAIN"
    2 more seconds of party noises
    Then the call ended

MRBI having a late Xmas party perhaps :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just had one from a withheld number, from "Eircom". I played along for 10-12 minutes, opened Event Viewer to see the shock of the multiple errors, caused by hackers. :pac: I was then transferred to a supervisor.

I opened Firefox and he asked what was in the address bar. I told him Google. He told me to empty the address, bar...was quite tempted to write 'empty', in the bar. :cool:

After a while I told him he was a scammer.

How do you know that?
    Have you heard of Youtube?
    Yes, I've heard of Youtube.
    There's people like you on it.

---

Where is Eircom?
    In Dublin, sir.
    Who is the CEO?
    My father, sir.
    Oh, so there's nepotism involved.

---

He knew the jig was up, so he started to called me a motherf**ker and all the rest.

Rang back 3 more times cursing me out of it. Fortunately, I had whistle handy. Ignored the 4th call.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pslat

Nice one @The Black Oil :) the more people who treat them like this the better.

• Advertisement

Brilliant! That whistle trick is a great idea, probably blew the ears off the scammer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

He knew the jig was up, so he started to called me a motherf**ker and all the rest.

Rang back 3 more times cursing me out of it. Fortunately, I had whistle handy. Ignored the 4th call.

Must be the same guy that used to ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I usually say something like, "Your call is important to us. Please hold and we will get back to you shortly", then I leave the phone beside the telly and let them listen to whatever is on.

Hope I can remember half of these anecdotes next time I get a call, they're hilarious :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

In the past few days they have been ringing up here at home!! Back to pi** us off

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

It's started again for me - a call yesterday from 'Shane' and a call today from 'William'. This time they're from 'Techcom'. Seven years and counting since my first one...

:mad:...and now a call from 'John', who asked how I was, asked if I had a laptop and then hung up most abruptly when I said no!

whoami1 wrote: »
    :mad:...and now a call from 'John', who asked how I was, asked if I had a laptop and then hung up most abruptly when I said no!

Close call so...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WIne Gums

I thought these calls had stopped.
    Got a call yesterday afternoon from 4004729

Answered it... 2 seconds of what sounded like background office noise
    A male with Indian accent says I am the owner of the computer and there was a problem with it, and he could sort it for me.

I asked him to repeat, he did.
    I told him to shove the telephone etc., etc.
    I hung up.

My phone is ex-directory and I am in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

The calls from "Windows" have started coming my way again. This time around a local number comes up on my screen. Of course that number changes each time, but still local. Last time I told the guy that I didn't need replacement windows and hung up.

It must be a soul-destroying job for the poor sods in Mumbai or wherever, as the rate of hang-ups must be high. Not that I feel sorry for them as they must be well aware they are involved in a criminal enterprise. Still, I'm sure it's hard to make a buck out there. I'd love to see an international police effort to nail the masterminds though. No prison time would be long enough for those f***ers.

• Advertisement

I have just had another call, but with a slightly different approach. Again the displayed number appears to be a Dublin number. When I answered, I heard computer-generated voice message with a female English accent telling me I was going to be disconnected within 24 hours. The grammar was poor.

However, the most interesting new twist was that I was invited to press '1' to connect to a technician to prevent this alleged disconnection. When I did not do this within a couple of seconds, the call disconnected. it could well be that pressing '1' just connects me to the next available scammer, or pressing '1' dials a premium-rate number on my behalf. Unfortunately I don't know, and I'm not about to find out...

Update: I'm not alone, apparently: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/warning-over-eircom-scam-targeting-landline-phones-1.3770553

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

whoami1 wrote: »
    computer-generated voice message with a female English accent

That's Robot Emily
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057888561

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My dad recently had a "something wrong with your computer" call and used his regular reply "what computer" and just hung up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Just spent 20 minutes with one from "Eir", it confused him when I said I don't have ANY bank account.

I told him I had been scammed out of €100,000 :D some years ago and now strictly deal only in cash.

Told him my job pays €200 p/w...he offered me a job...laundering money through a bank account!:cool:

I told him I would rather starve than make money from scamming people, he eventually realised and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Warning

I had a one ring call today from 00 678 520 1088.

Curiosity made me google 00 678 and discovered that it is international code for Vanuatu. Never heard of the place but further search
    found MTL blog :-

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/everyones-talking-about-the-vanuatu-phone-scam-heres-whats-actually-happening

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I keep getting odd phonecalls every month that just hang up. It's on my new phone that I just got in December (Samsung Galaxy m30s) from Amazon, but the number I've had for years. I keep blocking the numbers that call me but it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I keep getting odd phonecalls every month that just hang up. It's on my new phone that I just got in December (Samsung Galaxy m30s) from Amazon, but the number I've had for years. I keep blocking the numbers that call me but it's annoying.

They want you to call back the missed call. It is a foreign number and will connect to a premium line costing you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just got my first spam call since last year. It was about my Amazon prime account auto renewing, I hung up and checked my account myself just in case I had activated a free trial or something, but it was all fine.

Advertisement