Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

My aunt (a pensioner) was scammed by these scumbags last week. I only discovered it when she asked me to call up and have a look at her PC. Then she explained that she had signed up to this thing as these guys had called her and told her that her PC had a virus. She contacted a neighbour to see if they were legitamate, and the neighbour also thought it looked ok so she went ahead and handed over the CC details and got charged €159. onlinepccare.com was the website. I would really really love to get a call from these vermin. Seems like its pretty easy to get them angry..
    Is there any comeback with your credit card co on these things? No service has been provided. Long distance selling regulations usually fall on the side of the customer when there is a dispute on a transaction as far as I know. If this transaction is disputed and the scumbags dont respond, then I think it can be cancelled.

laros wrote: »
    Hi gkelly
    Sorry to hear you got caught out....they can only cause problems if you allow them access to your computer...... so if they do call you again just hang up the phone on them.

Lar

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Aunt got stung last week. She was using windows 7 but I wiped the laptop anyway and she canceled her Credit card. There has to be something that can be done about these con artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

As well as cancelling the credit card, though it may seem like a waste of time, the gardai should be contacted. Not sure if you contact your local station or go to some branch that deals specifically with internet fraud.
    LoGiE wrote: »
    Aunt got stung last week. She was using windows 7 but I wiped the laptop anyway and she canceled her Credit card. There has to be something that can be done about these con artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Such a fecking joke this hasnt been blocked yet by eircon or whoever

I wonder how many people they`ve scammed so far

Surely this needs some type of proper national coverage and something to be done to this filthy "company"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its been suggested above that they're using Skype. They can change CID in a flash and bypass a block.

RTE really should do a feature on it. Maybe get Mr Duffy to have a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Its been suggested above that they're using Skype. They can change CID in a flash and bypass a block.

RTE really should do a feature on it. Maybe get Mr Duffy to have a rant.

I think he covered this story a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Just got my call from PC Maintenance Services. Usual scam. The call was from 0011129. I checked with the phone company but it can't be traced. They told me to report it to 1890 252231 which I did but that was just another waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

I also received a call from an Indian sounding man 0037137167796528
    He asked for me personally? I'm not in the phone book? Another member of my family is listed in the phone book.
    I had a feeling it was a scam, so I kept him asking questions, all he kept saying is you have recently bought a computer and it had a malicious virus he had to remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cartom wrote: »
    I also received a call from an Indian sounding man 0037137167796528
    He asked for me personally? I'm not in the phone book? Another member of my family is listed in the phone book.
    I had a feeling it was a scam, so I kept him asking questions, all he kept saying is you have recently bought a computer and it had a malicious virus he had to remove.

As has been said in previous pages on this thread, just tell them you don't have a computer and you never had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Just got one today... ****ers.. give them nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Just got one today... ****ers.. give them nothing!

The only thing I'd give them is abuse...!! ...... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I feel sooooo foolish!
    I just got a phonocall from 'Virtual PC Doctors'. I don't know why but I went along with what they asked and gave them remote access to my computer. :eek:
    This is what I saw him doing after he got control. The guy downloaded and installed a program called 'Advanced Systemcare 3' and ran it which showed me that I had thousands of problems on my computer. At that point he requested that i subscribe to his technical support service. It was only then that the penny dropped and I told him no thanks, hung up and powered off the pc.
    I have since uninstalled the downloaded program and run a norton full system scan which showed up no threats. Computer is working as normal.
    My question is, could he have extracted information from my computer in the background without me seeing or secretly installed spyware or malware or whatever they're called that may cause problems in the future?
    Should I be going cancelling credit cards, closing bank accounts etc.
    Or did I have a lucky escape...........hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'd stay offline, back up my files and reload my operating system.

Maybe I'm not enough in the know, but maybe they could have been downloading files, I'd be changing my passwords and calling my credit card/bank and changing access information too, but thats me, I'm a paranoid cynic :D so much so that if someone rang me unsolicited and told me that ****, I'd tell them to fu*k off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sparkymarko69

i got that call to thats a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Got this call myself yesterday, thankfully i knew it was a scam but they must be catching some people out with this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

Yay! I was feeling left out but got a call the other day from this lot, jokers. think I upset him when I told him I was using Linux, wanted to see how far he'd take it, not far.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Just got the call five minutes ago from a joker. Sounds like an Indian accent. He said he works for windows and that bad files were being created on my computer and that he would send me files that I would upload onto my admin account...etc..etc....
    Wasn't the most convincing scam I've come across. Anyway, beware. They're still calling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Felix 2010

I also got 3 calls to day. One from "World PC Doctor", the number the Indian rang from was 0011125. He asked for me by name, and I am not in the phone book. I asked him for the No. of his company, it was 014880689, and no, I have not phoned it. He said he was checking all those registered with Microsoft!

The second call from another Indian man who gave another Pc Doctor name, and the Number was 004 400 000 0000.
    I told them I had no intention of going to my computer, but I was told I would regret it! The third call just now, was from the first Number again,(0011125) but there was no one on the line!

Last month I got calls regularly from the last No. above, or from "withheld". There was no one on the line.

I phoned Eircom, and was told that hundreds of calls are made from these people in the hopes of getting an answer, but as there are not many manning the calls, that is why there is often no one there when the phone is picked up. They said the only solution is to change your phone number. So I said no to that. I was told not to give them any information, and certainly not to go to the computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just out of curiosity, I checked that number on Comreg's allocations to see what phone company in Ireland is ultimately hosting it :

http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/numbering_search.599.numbering.html

The block of numbers is part of UPC (formerly NTL Ireland)'s allocation. However, they could be being used by a VoIP provider as some of these companies basically rent phone numbers from larger telcos like UPC, BT Ireland, etc.

I blocked my number and called it, and it does indeed connect to an indian call centre after some delay.

I would suggest that you report the phone number and the details of the call to your local Garda station and they will be able to follow it up.

There must be some details of someone registered who has paid for this number.

It might also be worth dropping UPC an email or a letter to their corporate HQ to see if they might look into it. I realise that it's not their fault, but these guys are abusing a number on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Solair wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, I checked that number on Comreg's allocations to see what phone company in Ireland is ultimately hosting it :

http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/numbering_search.599.numbering.html

The block of numbers is part of UPC (formerly NTL Ireland)'s allocation. However, they could be being used by a VoIP provider as some of these companies basically rent phone numbers from larger telcos like UPC, BT Ireland, etc.

I blocked my number and called it, and it does indeed connect to an indian call centre after some delay.

I would suggest that you report the phone number and the details of the call to your local Garda station and they will be able to follow it up.

There must be some details of someone registered who has paid for this number.

It might also be worth dropping UPC an email or a letter to their corporate HQ to see if they might look into it. I realise that it's not their fault, but these guys are abusing a number on their network.

it is funny you should say that, I started getting calls from them just after I signed up for the UPC phone and broadband services. I wondered was it just a coincidence or if the two were related.

• Advertisement

Bodan wrote: »
    it is funny you should say that, I started getting calls from them just after I signed up for the UPC phone and broadband services. I wondered was it just a coincidence or if the two were related.

Yes, I would say it's a coincidence. The number block's just allocated to them, it's likely that the "service" is being run through some small VoIP outfit.

Is it possible that UPC have listed you in the phonebook since you changed over?

Check: www.eircomphonebook.ie

If you are listed, you should ask them to delist you and you will vanish from the database within a few days.

Solair wrote: »

Thank you for your info. I shall follow it up. Can you tell me please which of the Numbers was it that you rang.

The (01) 448 xxxx nubmer

Thanks again!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

My wife got this call earlier. Indian guy again.

Wonder where they're getting the numbers as my phone is with UPC and I'm not listed in any phone books.

Guessing they're randomly picking numbers based on UPC numbers (think most start with 441) and then trawling the phone books aswell.

It is hard to know where they are getting the numbers from! The only thing to do is to put the phone down! Here is a link dated July 18th 2010, in the Guardian, it explains a lot about the probem, it is a long read though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

ps: I just found the printout of this link here on post #238

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭puppydogeyes

Hi Just to let ye know that this Indian called today from a blocked number and spilled the same stuff , major computer virus on my computer and needed to urgently sort it. I had the cop to realise it was probably a scam. Same story got agitated when I told him the laptop was not in the house at the moment and really agitated when I asked what the company name was three times. Then quickly said he would phone back tomorrow and hung up.
    I started searching Boards.ie to see if there was a scam and what do I find..................
    I assume when I did not touch the computer to download anything that I don't need to do anything. Or do I ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Slightly more advanced scam:

They do actually have a virus or strong malware that "infects" your PC and slows it down, they get your address, name and details from the same software/virus, then they call and tell you they are from microsoft and will repair it for a fee.

My sis got hit with this, but luckily didnt fall for it.

I assume when I did not touch the computer to download anything that I don't need to do anything. Or do I ??????

No, you are fine! I like where someone suggested that you say there is no computer in the house! I quess you were ahead of the posse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Quoting the OP
    jarvis wrote: »
    ...He seemed genuinely shocked when I told him I'm not interested in him helping me and I wouldn't turn my pc on....
    My mother got a similar call the other day. She said the guy sounded shocked when she told him (truthfully) that she doesn't have a computer... (I've encouraged her to take the plunge, but she's not interested. This certainly wouldn't help!)

Advertisement