Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Special Editions Mean Anything To You

Options
  • 24-02-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Considering that a lot of bands on the Roadrunner label, to name just one example, are fond of re-releasing an album about a year after its original release - with extra bonus tracks, perhaps a live performance, maybe a DVD - do you feel this (from a Rock/Metal act) is a waste of time....

In the past few years we have seen high profile re-releases of 'The Blackening' by Machine Head and 'Ten' by Pearl Jam (it was my opinion that the latter was worth picking up but the former needn't have been released as all these tracks existed on B-Sides and online)

When the likes of Shadow's Fall or Killswitch Engage re-release albums, we get video's from the album, maybe stuff from the tour...what I'm wondering is, is it worth it - either new or second hand - especially if you've purchased the album, upon release....believing you were supporting the band...and now they ask you to buy another one

And, most importantly, does anyone own 2 or more copies of the same album for this reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I wouldn't buy a special edition a year later if I already got the album. I noticed Opeth did this with Ghost Reveries. Never got the special edition of that.

I did get the SE of DT's Systematic Chaos and Opeth's Watershed though. The SE and the normal editions were released the same time so I don't mind getting them then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Id only get a SE if there was some additional feature like a live DVD included. A couple of extra tracks wouldnt be enough reason to re-buy the same album IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I might get a SE edition if I didn't own the original, or if it was something worth getting. Otherwise.. well.. What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Got Special Editions for a few albums I already owned: they all had live DVD's and/or CD's that had unreleased tracks and so on on them. Few I've picked up:

-Whitesnake 1987: 20th Anniversary Special Edition by Whitesnake
    -Slip Of The Tonngue: 20th Anniversary Special Edition by Whitesnake
    -Slide It In: Silver Anniversary Edition by Whitesnake
    -Pyromania Collector's Edition by Def Leppard
    -Hysteria 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition by Def Leppard

and a few others that I forget about...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

From time to time I will buy a special edition or in the case of some albums, a remastered edition.

Ten is a good example as the special edition is excellent, with a top sound production, plus extra tracks/different versions of old tracks.

The most recent special edition I bought was the reissue of Among The Living.

It has the original album remastered, six bonus tracks, and N.F.V on dvd.

The bonus tracks I was not pushed on, but having a remastered version of the original album plus N.F.V on dvd made the purchase worthwhile, especially as it was £8.99 with HMV online compared to what HMV in Limerick wanted for it.:rolleyes:

An special edition album released a year after it's original release won't even get looked at by me. All those are cash ins trying to get a quick double dip from fans, much like films that release three or four editions in a 12 month time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Don't care for special editions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'd only get it if I didnt own the original album, and it wasnt too dear. I think having a "normal" version and an SE out at the same time is silly.

Advertisement