Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architectural Technician

• 24-02-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there guys,

just stumbled into this forum. I'm usually in the Photography section.
    I'm an Architect from the Philippines, I have worked here already with an Architectural office in Churchtown near Dundrum, I was with them for nearly 2 years. I lost my job 6 months ago & is now looking for one, I won't mind anything but it would be great if it was related to Architecture/Cad/3D rendering & stuff.

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jon, i'm afraid you'll be lucky.
    c.60% of architectural professsionals are out of work in Ireland.

Any jobs that do come up are very quickly advertised via word of mouth through personal networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 supermangyan

yeah I know.. I'm just taking my chances, I used to see a lot of job postings in the RIAI website before, but now I rarely see even one. It just isn't looking good for the construction sector, how long do you think this recession would last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yeah I know.. I'm just taking my chances, I used to see a lot of job postings in the RIAI website before, but now I rarely see even one. It just isn't looking good for the construction sector, how long do you think this recession would last?
    Years not months.
    I didn't hang around Ireland after losing my job. I've been working pretty solidly since. When it hopeful gets back up and running, expierence on the CV will stand to me more so that the Dole or even colllege courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Judging from the activity in the housing market since Christmas and the number of second hand homes in the million-plus bracket for sale at the moment many people seem to believe Ireland's recession is bottoming or has bottomed out.

Unfortunately, the construction sector has been hit disproportionately hard with property values depressed to rediciculous levels - one property allegedly sold for €33,000,000 was recently valued at €600,000.

It itsn't clear yet whether this current low valuation is a fair reflection of the long term value of the site, but long term in property cycles means 20-years plus.

Added to this the Banks inability or reluctance to lend into the recovering economy and we could see the lack of finance stifling any recovery well into next year at least.

This has been said to senior bank officials at recent CHamber of Commerce networking evenings and they have developed a special business unit to assist and "partner" businesses.

I'm not sure of the nature of this partnership but unless it translates to lending money to people to run their businesses this lack of available credit will extend the recession.

I think in the short to medium term, unless you have educational or family committments or ties to Ireland, Mellor's advice might be the best route for you to take.

Even if you have ties and committments here, they will be put under strain by the inability to earn enough money to maintain your standard of living.

I'm going to wait and see how things pan out by June of this year, and whether property changing hands results in new business for our firm.

ONQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickshin

Hi there guys,

just stumbled into this forum. I'm usually in the Photography section.
    I'm an Architect from the Philippines, I have worked here already with an Architectural office in Churchtown near Dundrum, I was with them for nearly 2 years. I lost my job 6 months ago & is now looking for one, I won't mind anything but it would be great if it was related to Architecture/Cad/3D rendering & stuff.

Thanks

Jon

hey jon if your still looking for work i have some CAD drawings that need to be done, itl only be a few days work but sure contact me at my email address and we can discuss it- mickburke23@yahoo.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement