Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help finding a gym along the south Dublin DART line

• 24-02-2010 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Basically I work in Bray but live in Blackrock and commute using the DART. I don't have a car and am constrained by public transport limitations. I'm also not especially well-paid, so expensive gyms are out of the question.

Not fussed about pools or saunas, would just be after a decently-equipped gym with friendly enough people and not a load of posers.

Considering my lack of spending power and mobility, where could I join? I don't mind heading a bit further into town if needs be, but am wary of joining a gym that requires a 20 min walk to and from the DART - it's all well and good in summer, but doing that on a cold winter night after a day's work isn't quite my cup of tea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Westwood in Clontarf is right on the dart. Only 10 mins past town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

PRman wrote: »
    Westwood in Clontarf is right on the dart. Only 10 mins past town.

Might be an option - but going all the way from Bray to Clontarf, only to then commute back to Blackrock to get home isn't all that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

YMCA in sandymount might be worth a look. 5 mins walk from sandymount Dart station...

Pay as you go is only 5 euro.

It is small but might be worth a look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

bbor005 wrote: »
    Might be an option - but going all the way from Bray to Clontarf, only to then commute back to Blackrock to get home isn't all that great.

You'll probably think that Markiewicz Centre on Tara Street is probably in the same boat as Westwood as it's also in town.

€6.60 per visit and no membership fee does make it attractive though. Gym, swimming pool and sauna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Crunch Dun Laoghaire is just across from the DART station.

Im not sure how close to the DART it is but there is apparently a YMCA gym in Sandymount.
    http://www.ymca.ie/

Can't vouch for either.

DLR leisure services Monkstown gym is a bit of a walk up from the DART. http://www.dlrleisureservices.ie/monkstown/

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions and quick replies guys. Will check out the YMCA in Sandymount, the Markiewicz centre and the one in Monkstown. Have emailed Crunch Dun Laoghaire for a quote but reckon they'll be a bit too expensive for me. Logistically it would be the handiest of them all though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

If you got off at the Monkstown DART stop on your way home from work you could walk to the DLR leisure centre(Bluepool) in around 10mins easily, i used to go to CBC and did that walk 1,000's of times, You can pay as you go and i'm pretty sure its €6.00 don't know if that includes access to the pool though.

Thanks for the reply Beanmachine, I'm planning on dropping by the Monkstown gym next Monday to check it out.

I'm fairly unfit (5"11, around 14 stone) and have just given up smoking - I just want to get healthy, so not too pushed if it's not the best-looking or best-equipped gym around. As long as the people are friendly and it's not incredibly packed, I'm happy :)

Advertisement