Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Animal Sanctuary"

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I'm not sure if i am allowed to name this particular "animal scantuary" but what i will say is that it is located in Co.Louth, and its quite well known.

on the 13th of Feb my Boyfriend got me a gorgeous little puppy (we named him Tim) from there for valentines day. my first observation of Tim is that he is very small, as in he looks barely 6 weeks old, i have another Dog, a bitch, and Tim keeps trying to succle off her, as i have breed pups in the past, my first thought is that he was taking from his mother far too soon.

anyway as directed from the "sanctuary" i feed Tim a mixture of dried food mixed with tin food, all seems to be going quite well for the first 3 days, although his appitite is not huge.
    on the 4th day Tin refuses to eat, and looses interest in pretty much everything.

same on the 5ft day, although he eats about 2 mouth fulls and drinks a little bit, he also has quite bad diahoora,( most of you are probably thinking Parvo, but he has had his vaccination for that)
    on the 6th day i bring hom to the vets, the vet is not surprised that he is from this particular sanctuary as he gets many pups with the same virus from there, he gives Tim 2 injections, (a muscle relaxant, and an antibiotic) and gives me a course of antibioticsto give to Timn over 5 days. (he also tells me that Tim will be much better in the morning)......He wasnt, so i bring him back to the vets(7th day) different vet examines him, says he'l eat when he wants to and he's not dehydrated so thats the main thing.

i bring him home, im extremly worried about him and he's moaning alot, on the 8th day (which is a sunday) he passes pure blood, i call the vet on call immediately, he tells me to bring him in, he cant believe how much he has gone down, (its been 5 days since he's eaten) he puts him on a drip, tells me he has still got a very good chance (although im not so sure) and tells me he's call me in the morning.

monday morning i recieve a call to tell me that Tim has died, im devastated, the vet apologies and says taht this virus is all too common from this sanctuary. i burried him on the same day, only 9 days after i got him.

im so so angry about the whole thing, this so called sanctuary obviously does not have the animals best interest, i know they cannot control when they recieve unwanted animals but surely they could hold on to them for a while longer to ensure their strong enough, it is well known (although i didnt know) that is virus is rampant in this sanctuary, surely they could have advised my bf that if the pup goes off his food to contact the vet immeditely. its not as if they give the animals away for free they charge €65, they also sell pure breeds (seen slightly ridiculous as the reason this sanctuary was established was to rehome unwanted animals, which there is no shortage of, yet the owner is involved in puppy farming.

i just want to advise anyone who reads this not to go to this sanctuary, apart from my story there are many many others, it was horrendous looking at Tim suffering like that, and i do not want anyone else to go through that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh my god that is horrific, poor Tim the little mite. I would be raging as well. I dont the the place you are talking about or what you could do but just wanted to say how sorry I am that it happened.

xx:(

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Very sad story - poor little Tim :(

I think you should at least inform the sanctuary about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sorry but there is no way that at 6 weeks old he was full vacc'd against Parvo. And one of mine had feline Parvo 8 years ago and he was fully vacc'd and NOT a pup anymore. Something is not right with all that. What exactly does the vacc record say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I can't believe that happened!

When I was picking out a cat from a shelter last year one of the first things they told me was a virus had gotten into the place and as a result they didn't have many kittens(some died others were in foster homes) the adult cats weren't effected but they still told me about it!

I would think too much about the owners breeding and having an animal shelter but, I would be concerned about the welfare of the animals.

Would you concider contacting the ISPCA? I'm sure if the vet gets involved there will be enough grounds to investigate this place further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A pup can have its first vacc at 6 weeks, which is purely for parvo, maybe he had this before being sold, sorry, I mean rehomed?

This sanctuary is very well known, and there have been many discussions of it on many different sites. Usually legal action is threatened and the thread is closed down.

However, I have never been there, so can't say how good or bad it is, I have only ever heard through third parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Ah yes, the 'sanctuary' that is involved in breeding and selling pups as a sideline. If you get a pup from here it isn't a rescue, you have no idea what conditions its parents were kept in and could very well be taking on a pup with health problems. If they ask you for an 'adoption fee' you might think you are helping a rescue pup but the reality is that this is a business they are conducting and the pup has been bred especially for them to sell.

This has been happening with this place over the years but it seems like they are still pulling the wool over people's eyes. I believe that some people in the past who have bought sickly puppies from here have reported the matter to the local Dog Warden, something you might do as you are one of many. Quite a few pups have died after being purchased here.

This place gets a grant from the Dept of Ag every year to help them with their 'rescue' work. That's our money. Complaints have been made about them numerous times yet I read a report from a county council vet who recommended they be given a grant stating that although it wasn't ideal that they were involved in breeding and selling pups that they had to make an income somehow to support the rescue work they do. She seemed to miss the point completely that there wouldn't be a need to give out grants for people doing rescue work if it wasn't for places like them involved in selling pups in the first place.

This place is BAD NEWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

well the vacc a dog gets at about 6 weeks old, is the one that protects them against parvo, they also get a vacc when they are about 12 weeks old, this is called the 7 in 1 vacc. the vet was sure it was not parvo, if it was Tim would have died within 2-3 days at most, he survived 6 days.
    i have tried to contact the ispca but no luck as of yet.
    i was thinking of calling the scantuary itself but im not ready to, as i know i wouldnt be able to hold it together. anyway this women has to be aware that the scantuary is infected, i am aware that it is difficult to keep a place like that 100% infection free, however there was absolutly no honesty about it.
    im not sure if my vet would get involved to be honest.
    it just so sad to think that a little puppy had to go through that much pain, i personally feel so bad about the whole thing. i nursed him day and night for the 9 days i had him, i tried everything. i've had dogs all my life, i also have horses and i live on a farm, so i know alot about animal husbundary and welfare.
    i have talked to alot of ppl in the last few days and they have had nothing good to say about this particular place.
    this could have been prevented and thats the main point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

eveie wrote: »
    well the vacc a dog gets at about 6 weeks old, is the one that protects them against parvo, they also get a vacc when they are about 12 weeks old, this is called the 7 in 1 vacc. the vet was sure it was not parvo, if it was Tim would have died within 2-3 days at most, he survived 6 days.
    i have tried to contact the ispca but no luck as of yet.
    i was thinking of calling the scantuary itself but im not ready to, as i know i wouldnt be able to hold it together. anyway this women has to be aware that the scantuary is infected, i am aware that it is difficult to keep a place like that 100% infection free, however there was absolutly no honesty about it.
    im not sure if my vet would get involved to be honest.
    it just so sad to think that a little puppy had to go through that much pain, i personally feel so bad about the whole thing. i nursed him day and night for the 9 days i had him, i tried everything. i've had dogs all my life, i also have horses and i live on a farm, so i know alot about animal husbundary and welfare.
    i have talked to alot of ppl in the last few days and they have had nothing good to say about this particular place.
    this could have been prevented and thats the main point.

Did you try the national or local ispca? or both?
    Even if the vet just gave the medical information of the animals he treated from there(it would have to be with owners consent of course)
    Just don't stop trying to do something about this place.

As far as I'm aware everyone who is anyone in authority knows about this place but I don't think they are breaking any animal welfare laws. I think I had heard before of someone trying to go after them from a consumer rights point of view, because the 'product' (I know that sounds awful) was 'faulty'. I do know the Dog Warden in the area is very interested in them but I don't think she has any powers to do anything.

I don't mean this to sound harsh as I feel very sorry for anyone who has taken a pup from this place only for it to die but people really do need to look into where they are getting animals from. There are good rescues and bad rescues just like there are good breeders and bad breeders. Places like this wouldn't be raking in the money if people took a bit of time to research them.

I know people are only trying to do good by rescuing animals from this place but while they continue to do so, the animals continue to suffer.

Thanks for all your replies. I have heard that a number of people are trying to get this place closed down. I agree with what you've said val to a certain degree, however I did look into getting a dog from other places, many of them would not allow me take one as I dont have an enclosed area at my house, it would be near impossible to close an area, as I live on a farm, also they wouldnt consider the use of a radio fence.
    In saying that, I urge anyone who reads this thread not to get an animal from this place and to warn others

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    A pup can have its first vacc at 6 weeks, which is purely for parvo, maybe he had this before being sold, sorry, I mean rehomed?

This sanctuary is very well known, and there have been many discussions of it on many different sites. Usually legal action is threatened and the thread is closed down.

However, I have never been there, so can't say how good or bad it is, I have only ever heard through third parties.

It's not that simple, it all depends on whether or not the mother was vaccinated and when before being bred from. The more maternal antibodies a pup as the less likely is a vaccine to work. And pups who are born first or nurse more than the littermates will have more antibodies.

Vaccination is not as open and shut as alot of people seem to think.

In my case, Tim did not have parvo, it was another virus that is not covered for in any vacc, im not sure oF its medical name but i can find out.
    obviously if an animal is exposed to the parvo virus before they recieve the vacc they can still contract the virus after recieving the vass, however it is extremely unlikely for an animal to contract the virus if they are fully vaccinated (and have not been exposed to the virus prior to being vaccinated) the vacc creates antibodies to that particular virus.

I am seriously thinking of taking further action against this sanctuary (not in the form of sueing) but in the form of creating awareness about its current situation,this particular sanctuary recieved €20,000 in 2009 from Government grants

I am not saying that your dog had Parvo I was just clarifying some misconceptions about vaccines. And as I have already stated one of my fully vacc'd dogs contracted feline parvo which virtually has the same symptoms and can have the same results, i.e. death.

Was it Corona Virus by any change?

eveie wrote: »
    I am seriously thinking of taking further action against this sanctuary (not in the form of sueing) but in the form of creating awareness about its current situation,this particular sanctuary recieved €20,000 in 2009 from Government grants

Myself and a number of other people have written to the Department of Ag about this place and the fact that they get a grant. They are very aware of what goes on here but don't seem to care as they continue to give them money. As I said earlier, when assessing them for a grant the Dept of Ag seek the opinion of the County Council Vet and I read a report where she excused their breeding and selling of pups by saying that they had to make money to fund the rescue somehow :rolleyes: So, I would say do whatever you can to expose this place but be prepared to be left feeling very frustrated and annoyed as many of us have experienced in the past.

I also wonder if a nice pedigree dog comes into the 'rescue' part, whats to stop them from using her to breed. I believe people have surrendered their dogs to this place hoping they will be able to rehome them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I know the place you are talking about.
    I don't know if they knew the puppy would be a present but no decent sanctuary would rehome an animal if they knew it was a Valentine's Day gift and most decent breeders wouldn't sell a puppy either.
    You sound like a very caring, experienced and conscientious dog owner and therefore would know how to look after a puppy, but you know yourself, someone else could be buying a puppy for someone for Valentine's on a whim and the recipient might not know anything about dogs, nor want one.
    I'm amazed that a vet would approve this place, she must get good business from them and not be interested in much else.

Magenta completely agree, this place does not vet people wanted to rescue an animal, this itself should be an important example of how they dont have the best interest for the animals. I had been asking my bf for a puppy for nearly two years, so in my particular case it was a wanted puppy but i cmpletley see where your coming from.

Egar as far as i know it was not corona virus, i remember the vet telling me a number of times what it was, but it had a long medical name, i will call my vet in the coming week to ask again what it was.

Vel does she breed the pedigree pups herself? i thought she basically worked for a number of breeders? if you ever go to this place you will see all the rescue pups, dogs and cats in the bottom section, in dreery shelters, go up the steeps and the pedigree pups are in clean wooden heated units.

Dogs trust up near finglus has spent € 5million in the past year to neuter dogs, they also do not let a person rehome a dog until there home is inspected.

the whole reason rescue centres operate is because there is a hugh over supply of dogs/cats in this country, irresponsible owners have let their dogs breed, it is therefore highly irresponsible and contradictory for a person who runs a rescue centre to breed and sell pedigrees.

I know that ALOT of letters of complaint have been written to the Dept of Agri in the run up of the grant applications. Yet, none of the concerns voiced had been taken into consideration and they got a grant.

It doesn't bode well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 greensleep

I hate this place and if anybody mentions it's name this thread will be closed down immediately. It has been on boards before and other well know dog sites and every time they threaten legal action, hence thread closed. There is one supplier only that deals in the supply of the pure breed dogs.
    It is this person that does all the threatening and spouting of legal action. Even if a vet says anything about this place he/she is threatened. These are very heavy handed people. After all think of the money they would lose, much to much. This person also supplies many pet shops with pure breed dogs.
    This rescue center was great for many many many years. They have done great work and rehomed many dogs and cats. But somehow have lost their way. Maybe the big boys waving so much money around corrupted them.

Eveie, as far as I know they don't actually breed the dogs themselves. I don't think anyone is sure where they get them from exactely but I believe they are from some Northern Ireland puppy farmers.

Greensleep, its so true, this place actually started off with the best of intentions as a rescue, which makes the whole thing ever worse as they do know better than to be doing this.

The vet report I read also mentioned how there seemed to be some kind of unjustified hate campaign against them from some members of the community:rolleyes:. Sure, if one of the county vets is such a big fan, what hope is there

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Keep writing to the Minister for Agriculture & the ISPCA. He can't ignore the public forever ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Magenta wrote: »
    I know the place you are talking about.
    I don't know if they knew the puppy would be a present but no decent sanctuary would rehome an animal if they knew it was a Valentine's Day gift and most decent breeders wouldn't sell a puppy either.
    You sound like a very caring, experienced and conscientious dog owner and therefore would know how to look after a puppy, but you know yourself, someone else could be buying a puppy for someone for Valentine's on a whim and the recipient might not know anything about dogs, nor want one.
    I'm amazed that a vet would approve this place, she must get good business from them and not be interested in much else.

Totally agree! Vet is probably getting a fat brown envelope every year :mad:

Can someone pm me the name of this place? Thanks.

Advertisement