Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Source soil for Raised Beds

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have built a frame with a sort of poly tunnel covering to grow some veg. The base is: 5ft * 4ft * 6 inches high with a polytunnel roof on it.

I bought some rocket, lettuce, parsnips, spinach and oregano seeds which I hope to grow.

My question is - where to I source soil for this ?
    Should I fill it with potting compost or some such ?
    Or should I just cut squares out of a few grow bags and grow the veg withing the grow bags inside the tunnel ?

Thanks for the help
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Potting compost or gro bags will not be the most satisfactory, you need soil. For that relatively small area you could buy topsoil in bags from a garden centre (Homebase have it) or use 'Compost with John Innes'. Or a mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

You could also try Mels mix:

1/3 compost/peat
    1/3 well rotted manure/composted compost bin waste
    1/3 vermiculite

further info here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know if it would be quite suitable, but there are often offers of free topsoil on dublinwaste.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If you have a trailer or access to one, often if you ask nicely at a building site they are quite happy to give you topsoil for free, especially if you bring brown envelopes bags containing donuts or muffins as a bribe ;) or as mentioned above check out free stuff websites!

Also buy yourself bucket of chicken manure pellets (€12.95) I swear by the stuff and mix it into the soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DKOK

Hi,

I got some lovely soil today from allscape in newcastle co dublin. A sandy loam mixed to my specification with farm yard manure. The very best of stuff for growing anything, particularly veg.
    You can call them on 01-5050013 or www.allscape.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement